Generic Name: dacarbazine (da-KAR-ba-zeen)
Brand Name: DTIC-Dome
DTIC-Dome can cause severe, even fatal, liver problems (hepatic necroses), or a decrease in the formation of new blood cells (hemopoietic depression). It has also caused cancer and birth defects in laboratory animals. Notify your doctor immediately if you develop symptoms of an infection (eg, persistent sore throat or fever), easy bruising or bleeding, nausea, dark urine, unusual fatigue, yellowing of the eyes or skin, or stomach pain. Your doctor will monitor you closely while you are using DTIC-Dome.
DTIC-Dome is used for:
Treating certain cancers (eg, advanced skin cancer) and Hodgkin disease. It may be used with other medicines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
DTIC-Dome is an antineoplastic agent. It is not known exactly how DTIC-Dome works. It may block the growth of cancer cells.
Do NOT use DTIC-Dome if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in DTIC-Dome
- you have shingles or chickenpox
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using DTIC-Dome:
Some medical conditions may interact with DTIC-Dome. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a blood disease, an infection, or liver or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with DTIC-Dome. However, no specific interactions with DTIC-Dome are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if DTIC-Dome may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use DTIC-Dome:
Use DTIC-Dome as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- DTIC-Dome will be administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- If DTIC-Dome contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- If nausea, vomiting, or loss of appetite occurs, ask your doctor or pharmacist for ways to lessen these effects.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of DTIC-Dome, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use DTIC-Dome.
Important safety information:
- DTIC-Dome may lower your body's ability to fight infection. Prevent infection by avoiding contact with people with colds or other infections. Notify your doctor of any signs of infection, including fever, sore throat, rashes, or chills.
- DTIC-Dome may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood. To prevent bleeding, avoid situations in which bruising or injury may occur. Report any unusual bleeding, bruising, blood in stools, or dark, tarry stools to your doctor.
- Use of DTIC-Dome may increase the risk of developing a second cancer. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Avoid vaccination with live virus vaccines (eg, measles, mumps, oral polio) while you are taking DTIC-Dome. Vaccinations may be less effective.
- LAB TESTS, including blood cell counts and liver function tests, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using DTIC-Dome during pregnancy. It is unknown if DTIC-Dome is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking DTIC-Dome.
Possible side effects of DTIC-Dome:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Facial flushing, numbness, or tingling; loss of appetite; metallic taste in mouth; muscle pain or weakness; nausea; temporary hair loss; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine; fever, chills, or sore throat; joint pain; pain, redness, or swelling at injection site; severe nausea and vomiting; stomach pain; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; yellowing of skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
DTIC-Dome is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using DTIC-Dome at home, store DTIC-Dome as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep DTIC-Dome, as well as needles and syringes, out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about DTIC-Dome, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- DTIC-Dome is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take DTIC-Dome or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about DTIC-Dome. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to DTIC-Dome. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using DTIC-Dome.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.