Generic Name: amcinonide (am-SIN-oh-nide)
Brand Name: Cyclocort
Cyclocort cream is used for:
Treating inflammation and itching due to certain skin conditions.
Cyclocort cream is a topical corticosteroid. It works to reduce skin inflammation (redness, swelling, itching, and irritation) in a way that is not clearly understood.
Do NOT use Cyclocort cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cyclocort cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cyclocort cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cyclocort cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a skin infection, thinning of the skin, measles, tuberculosis, a positive tuberculin skin test, or chickenpox, or you have had a recent vaccination
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cyclocort cream. Because little, if any, of Cyclocort cream is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Cyclocort cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cyclocort cream:
Use Cyclocort cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply a thin film of medicine to the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed.
- Wash your hands after applying Cyclocort cream, unless your hands are part or the treated area.
- Do not use a bandage or other covering or wrap on the treated skin unless directed to do so by your health care provider.
- If you miss a dose of Cyclocort cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cyclocort cream.
Important safety information:
- Cyclocort cream is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes. If you get Cyclocort cream in your eyes, flush immediately with a generous amount of cool tap water.
- Parents should not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants on a child being treated in the diaper area.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or use Cyclocort cream for longer than the time prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Cyclocort cream for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Cyclocort cream contains a corticosteroid. Before you begin taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains hydrocortisone or any other corticosteroid. If it does or if you are uncertain, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while using Cyclocort cream.
- Corticosteroids may affect the growth rate in CHILDREN and adolescents in some instances. Your child's growth may need to be checked regularly while using Cyclocort cream.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Cyclocort cream during pregnancy. It is unknown if Cyclocort cream is excreted in breast milk after topical use. Do not breast-feed while you are using Cyclocort cream.
Possible side effects of Cyclocort cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; burning, cracking, irritation, redness, or peeling not present before you began using Cyclocort cream; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; muscle weakness; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Cyclocort cream:
Store Cyclocort cream at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cyclocort cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cyclocort cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cyclocort cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Cyclocort cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Cyclocort cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Cyclocort cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Cyclocort cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Cyclocort (amcinonide topical)
- Cyclocort lotion
- Cyclocort (Advanced Reading)
- Cyclocort Cream (Advanced Reading)
- Cyclocort Lotion (Advanced Reading)
- Cyclocort Ointment (Advanced Reading)