Generic Name: acetic acid/aluminum acetate (a-SEE-tik ASS-is/ah-LOO-min-uhm ah-SEH-tate)
Brand Name: Borofair
Borofair solution is used for:
Treating mild ear infections.
Borofair solution is an antibacterial. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use Borofair solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Borofair solution
- you have a perforated or ruptured eardrum
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Borofair solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Borofair solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, if you become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Borofair solution. Because little, if any, of Borofair solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Borofair solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Borofair solution:
Use Borofair solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Borofair solution is for use in the ear only. Avoid contact with the eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Borofair solution in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool tap water.
- To use ear drops, lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for 5 minutes so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. A clean cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out. To prevent germs from entering the medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you miss a dose of Borofair solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Borofair solution.
Important safety information:
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell your doctor or dentist that you are using Borofair solution.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Borofair solution can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Borofair solution, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Borofair solution during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Borofair solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Borofair solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Burning; itching; stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); irritation; sensitivity.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Borofair solution:
Store Borofair solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Protect from freezing. Store away from heat and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Borofair solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Borofair solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Borofair solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Borofair solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Borofair solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Borofair solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Borofair solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.