Acular LS drops
Generic Name: ketorolac (KEE-toe-ROLE-ak)
Brand Name: Acular LS
Acular LS drops are used for:
Reducing eye pain and burning/stinging following certain surgeries. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Acular LS drops are a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by blocking the production of prostaglandin, a substance that causes pain, burning, or stinging.
Do NOT use Acular LS drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Acular LS drops
- you are in late pregnancy
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Acular LS drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Acular LS drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to aspirin or an NSAID (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib)
- if you have other eye problems, have an abnormal cornea or disease affecting the surface of the eye (eg, dry eye syndrome), or you had complicated eye surgery or repeated eye surgery within a short period of time
- if you have asthma, bleeding problems, diabetes, nasal polyps, or rheumatoid arthritis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Acular LS drops. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), aspirin, heparin, or NSAIDs (eg, ibuprofen) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
- Topical corticosteroids for the eye (eg, dexamethasone) because they may slow or delay the healing of the eye
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Acular LS drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Acular LS drops:
Use Acular LS drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Acular LS drops are only for the eye. Do not get it in your nose or mouth.
- To use Acular LS drops in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you will be using Acular LS drops to treat both eyes after surgery, do not use the same bottle for both eyes. Doing so may increase the risk of passing an infection from one eye to the other.
- If you are using other eye medicines, wait at least 5 minutes before applying them to the eye.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are using Acular LS drops. Take care of your contact lenses as directed by the manufacturer. Check with your doctor before you use them.
- Do not use Acular LS drops if it is discolored.
- If you miss a dose of Acular LS drops and you are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Acular LS drops.
Important safety information:
- Acular LS drops may cause blurred vision. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks unless you can see clearly.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. Using Acular LS drops more than 24 hours before eye surgery or for more than 14 days after eye surgery may increase the risk of certain eye problems (eg, corneal problems). Some of these could be serious. Talk with your doctor if you have questions.
- If your symptoms do not get better within a few days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you have a tendency to bleed easily.
- If you injure your eye, develop an eye infection, or need to have eye surgery, contact your doctor right away. You will need to discuss the continued use of Acular LS drops.
- Acular LS drops should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 3 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Avoid using Acular LS drops late in pregnancy. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Acular LS drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Acular LS drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Acular LS drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Headache; temporary stinging and burning of the eye while applying.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); pain, irritation, redness, swelling, or persistent stinging or burning of the eyes; unusual bleeding; vision changes (eg, blurred vision).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Acular LS drops:
Store Acular LS drops at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Acular LS drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Acular LS drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acular LS drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Acular LS drops or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Acular LS drops. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Acular LS drops. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Acular LS drops.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Acular LS (ketorolac ophthalmic)
- Other brands: Acuvail