Cloxacillin use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Cloxacillin: Tegopen, Cloxapen
Cloxacillin Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Cloxacillin is acceptable to use during breastfeeding. Limited information indicates that maternal doses of cloxacillin produce low levels in milk that are not expected to cause adverse effects in breastfed infants. Occasionally, disruption of the infant's gastrointestinal flora, resulting in diarrhea or thrush, has been reported with penicillins, but these effects have not been adequately evaluated.
Maternal Levels.No studies have reported milk levels after oral cloxacillin. After a single intramuscular dose of 500 mg of cloxacillin in 2 women, milk levels ranged from 0.1 to 0.3 mg/L between 1 and 6 hours after the dose.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
In a telephone follow-up study, 10 nursing mothers reported taking cloxacillin (dosage unspecified). Two mothers reported diarrhea in their infants. No rashes or candidiasis were reported among the exposed infants.
Possible Effects on Lactation
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
1. Matsuda S. Transfer of antibiotics into maternal milk. Biol Res Pregnancy. 1984;5:57-60. PMID: 6743732
2. Ito S, Blajchman A, Stephenson M et al. Prospective follow-up of adverse reactions in breast-fed infants exposed to maternal medication. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993;168:1393-9. PMID: 8498418
CAS Registry Number
- Antiinfective Agents
- Antibacterial Agents
LactMed Record Number
Information from the National Library of Medicine's LactMed Database.
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
- Cloxacillin use during Pregnancy
- Cloxacillin Consumer Information
- Breastfeeding Support Group
- Safe Medications during Breastfeeding
- Medicine use while Breastfeeding
- Medicine use during Pregnancy