Chlorothiazide use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Chlorothiazide: Diuril, Aldoclor-250, Diupres-500, Diupres-250, Aldoclor-150, Diuril Sodium
Chlorothiazide Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Low-dose chlorothiazide appears to be acceptable during lactation. Intense diuresis with large doses may decrease breastmilk production.
Maternal Levels. After a single dose of 500 mg of chlorothiazide orally, there was no detectable drug (<1 mg/L) in the breastmilk from 11 nursing mothers at 1, 2 and 3 hours after the dose.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Possible Effects on Lactation
Relevant published information on chlorothiazide was not found as of the revision date. Intense diuresis with thiazides and thiazide-like diuretics, fluid restriction and breast binding have been used to suppress postpartum lactation. The added contribution of the diuretic to these measures, which are effective in suppressing lactation, has not been studied. There are no data on the effects of diuretics on established, ongoing lactation.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Werthmann MW Jr, Krees SV. Excretion of chlorothiazide in human breast milk. J Pediatr. 1972;81:781-3. PMID: 5074355
2. Healy M. Suppressing lactation with oral diuretics. Lancet. 1961;1:1353-4.
3. Stout G. Suppression of lactation. Br Med J. 1962;1:1150. Letter. PMC: PMC1958377
4. Reiher KH. [Suppression of lactation by stimulation of diuresis] Zentralbl Gynakol. 1963;85:188-90. PMID: 13973786
CAS Registry Number
- Antihypertensive Agents
- Thiazide Diuretics
LactMed Record Number
Information from the National Library of Medicine's LactMed Database.
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
- Chlorothiazide use during Pregnancy
- Chlorothiazide Consumer Information
- Breastfeeding Support Group
- Safe Medications during Breastfeeding
- Medicine use while Breastfeeding
- Medicine use during Pregnancy