Is Oxycodone Hydrochloride IR 5mg stronger than a regular 5/500mg percocet?

The opioid component is absolutely the same 5mg. The 5/500 refers to 5mg oxycodone and 500mg acetaminophen. The acetaminophen can enhance the action of the oxycodone so I guess you could consider the 5/500 slightly stronger but the difference would probably be fairly minimal.

I just asked the doctor the same exact question and the answer is No. The only difference is the 500mg. The 5 represents the amount of oxycodone in the the pill which in this case is the same the 500 is the amount of aspirin in the pill so what happens is the oxycodone Hcl has no aspirin and the percocet has aspirin. You have to be very careful because a person can overdose on aspirin.

s4bahled 26 Nov 2013

I have to clarify something here. Tylenol (A.K.A. Acetaminophen) is NOT the same as aspirin. Tylenol is a non-aspirin medication. It also is NOT an NSAID like motrin, aspirin, or naproxen (A.K.A. ibuprofen, Bayer aspirin, or Aleve, respectively).