Are Valium or Xanax the best for anxiety disorders?

Answers (22) Page 2

valium been on xanax 3yrs off now bad withdrawls i mean bad valium lasts longer than xanax just be prepared for ur doc to one day take u off because these arent longterm med

yes, when I was on xanax and cLONAZEPAM (another name for valium), they were the best years of my life. Unfortunately, I had to turn the last card down, because I was on for seven years where they are not meant to be taken that long. In my case, I had to be because they were the only thing keeping me off of the suicide path but my BF was stealing them and giving them away which left me hostpitalized of course where the shrink thought I was abusing them and took me off of them so now I am screwed up. But, that doesn't mean I can't live to tell the tale. Don't let this happen to you. these meds can change the world. Don't let Micheal Jackson write the fade out or some shrink who looks at you for five minutes and decides he can write the fade out!

fall queen 11 Aug 2010

hardfi, not to nitpick but clonazepam is generic for Klonipin. Fall Queen

hardfi 12 Aug 2010

You're right, I'm sorry. i guess i was in a hurry, wrting this. Valium is diazepam, and Klonopin is Clonazepam. Trust me, my doctor thought it was funny that I called klonopin by the generic clonazepam, and alprazolam, I would call xanax. sometimes I get a dyslecsic and F up the names. i know my benzo's and somewhere on this thing, i posted a list of the generic and real names.

i prefer valium always have, i dont like xananx, my doctor took me off suddenly from valium after many years and put me on xanax, i dont like it, the valium just makes me feel better with my anxiety and panic attacks, i read the xanax is better, i dont think so. i dont like it, and i think the dr should leave me be with what works for me.

For me Xanax works better but everyone is different. If you have an addictive personality I would recommend you do not get Xanax. It is a very powerful drug. When I first got it years ago I quickly became addicted to it but since then I have learned the proper way to use it. Even though your bottle will tell you otherwise, Xanax should not be used every day. You shouldn't even use it once a week. It should only be used as the very last resort to save yourself.

Yes. Todd Hanna. They are. Everyone of the previous answers were very well said. points well presented. Between the two, having been on both, and xanax, went into detox, spent 5 weeks and a few days, getting cleaned out. Not going to go into the this, that and the other, details. The one that worked the best for me was the valium. No doubt. I actually could feel it working. The xanax I never felt it working, yet my body would demand it and what happened is that the dose was increased and increased to the point where it was a danger to me. Hence the hospitlization. They are both benzos, addictive as the dickens, the longer on them, the more difficult it is to stop. Same equation for both. very best to you.

I think it depends on your level of anxiety. I take two medications, one is quick acting - klonopin (there is a generic) and one is for long term effects and addresses GAD as well as Social Anxiety Disorder and the underlying Depression that accompanies anxieties, Effexor. We all react differently to medications so whatever you try, you'll start out with a smaller dosage - and if you have a responsible health care provider - you should expect to see them every 2 weeks for a med check which should include you filling out a 8-10 question sheet. Be honest with yourself and your provider. I thought I only needed to be on the meds for 6-12 months, but I may be on them for alot longer. I can tell you that these meds help me feel like myself!!

hardfi 10 Aug 2010

I agree with doxipups. I used to be able to take 7mg of xanax and 4mg of clonazepam, and I gave my roomate 2mg of Clonazepam and he fell asleep and then asked me how I can take that everyday and be awake and full of life. I guess tolerance exists for a reason

nikicole1986 16 Dec 2010

I have panic disorder and i was on xanax for almost 4yrs i decided i wanted off i started gettin weak,passing out, dizzy,numbness , all from xanax yrs of being physically addicted n sick n not knowing y i did 2wk detox been off for 6 months now and iam alot better but still have pain, burning and digest trouble jerking and shakin at nite .Numbness legs feet hands arms head everywhere , balance is off everything moves up n down ,theres so much that can happeb wit that pill if stopped even after few wks its unreal i rather die than ever ever take benzo again anxiety i will take over that pill that messed me up anyone on it should consider tapering off n gettin on something safer not as physically addictin , its just like drinkin beer when takin that pill , good luck

I have taken Xanax, however, after the third day, I made a doctor appointment, I lost almost an entire day like I had a bad case of amnesia!I was prescribed .5 mg two tablets three times a day, but after what happened to me I'll never take xanax again, that really scared the heck out of me. I quit the xanax and I've been on Valium 10mg as needed three times a day. I've had very few occasions where I found the need to use it three times a day, I take one at bedtime for anxiety, and my muscle spasms. When I've had the need to use valium during the day, I found that I had total relief from my anxiety, and then I only took a half of it, 5mg. it lasted all through the day, where the xanax made me dizzy within a 1/2 hour and then it just stopped working, until the third day, where I don't remember what even happened. Albeit, we all have our own metabolisms that process this drug too. I have found complete relief with the Valium. Good Luck, I hope you find what helps you best.

hardfi 10 Aug 2010

yes, xanax definately creates partial amnesia

fall queen 28 Aug 2010

Hi midwestma, There was a post the other day from jk13, he was asking what he should choose for an anti anxiety med. He had it down to valium or klononipn. I answered that I was happy to see that he was leaning away from the xanax, because despite what someone said, it does cause a "high" and it does take away your memory for a certain amount of time. I couldn't get my point across, and it may very well be that the person who said she never got a "high" from xanax, but for all the people I know who have been on the "benzo merry-go-round, xanax came up as 1) being the shortest acting med. 2) making people feel a "high" and doing things they would not normally do. Of course your fear (all too real) is 3) forgetting whole periods of time. One would think a person would make some poor choices while taking xanax.

Page 1 2 Next