Are Valium or Xanax the best for anxiety disorders?

I have only tried Xanax and I feel that it really helps during panic attacks. I actually take a very small dose right now that still helps (1/4 tablet of 0.25mg). Crazy right? I just feel that if that amount helps me for now, why take the whole pill? The small dose that I take makes me just a little bit drowsy and dizzy for just a little bit but better than experiencing panic.

Valium. I have an addictive personality and had absolutely no problems with taking Valium (in other words, I didn't feel the need to abuse it by taking more than prescribed). Xanax has such a short half-life that taking it made me feel high. Sure, it got rid of the panic... but so did the Valium.

This is something that's really different for every person, but xanax was a brutal nightmare for me and it's nearly impossible to come off of. While Valium may sound scary... I think it's best. This is all based off of my experience with anti-anxiety medication.

I also suggest exercise. Even just walking around a park or your neighborhood can help release all of that nasty adrenaline that's giving you (chemically) such a hard time.
Xanax is bad news though. Unless you want to get high, go with something that has a longer half-life.

hardfi 12 Aug 2010

i agree. xanax is almost impossible to get off. when you find an answer, let me know and I will do the same.

Biochem510 10 Jun 2012

Exercise and meditation are much better than becoming dependent on benzo class drugs. Actually most anything is. I highly recommend avoiding Xanax and Ativan for long term use.

valium/klonipine (klon is a 30 to 40 hour half life and valium is even longer) are the best in my opinion... longer the half life and rate of onset the less addictive and longer lasting it is... xanax is a little too fast in my opinion-iv lived with panic attacks and i hate them because like it says, it feels like a heart attack but you can live through them so a longer onset isnt that hard to deal with unless you really cant delay gratification/relief to prevent more anxiety later in the day (dont know about xanax XR though, iv heard good things)

Xanax has a quicker acting half-life as for medicines like Valium,and Klonopin tend to take longer to get rid of the anxiety and also will make you extremely tired.I would recommend Xanax or something like Restoril at night or even during the day.IDK ask your doctor and let him know how you are feeling about it.Best of luck!!!

xanax,valium, or ativan seems to work the best

Biochem510 10 Jun 2012

... but also can cause terrible side effects including increased overall anxiety and loss of effectiveness. These drugs are greatly over prescribed and are intensely habit forming.

Not everybody has problems with withdrawl upon stopping xanax usage. I have mixed feelings about xanax to be for sure, but when I have the panic attacks that feel like a heart attack I'm glad I have it. If I were to generalize I would say its better for panic attacks not for daily usage and valium/klonopin are better if you need to take something every day because you have generalized anxiety.
A lot of people have both and are on both, the valium/klonopin for generalize anxiety and xanax for anxiety attacks. This does seem a bit much so be careful when you start down this road and make sure you are in therapy or taking other means to address anxiety.

Xanax has a very short half life and valium has the longest half life of all benzos. We feel the effects of xanax more quickly where the valium lasts longer. So Xanax is recommended more for actual panic attacks where quick relief is needed. Valium is recommended more for general anxiety disorder. Valium is usally prescribed in small doses spread out over the course of the day for general anxiety. Hope that helps.

jamie1940 11 Dec 2011

As someone who has taken many different anxiety-relieving drugs, I would suggest that anyone being prescribed XANAX by their doctor should ask for Valium. Xanax is so highly addictive, and so very difficult to get off off, that I would not prescribe it to a tree stump. It's been my experience that the cast majority of general practitioner doctors do not know diddley squat about the dangers and/or effects of these classes of anti-anxiety, psycho-trophic drugs.

alisha_256 5 Feb 2012

I have been on xanax for a long time now, and it is really hard to concentrate and really be aware of whats going on around you unless your medicaided who would want to be this way i have came down on my dosage and working on coming down more. I was just wondering does valiums actually work switching over so sudden?

When I first went to the Dr for anxiety disorder (complements of graves disease), I wanted xanax. She would not prescribe it and gave me klonopin instead. She said it is HELL to get off of xanax. I have taken both and although the klonopin hits you faster and makes you sleepier, once you get used to it, it is BETTER than xanax. NO ANXIETY!!! It is wonderful to feel normal, at least in that respect :-). I am GLAD she told me that, or I would have a really bad time getting off xanax. And it kind of helps with my PAIN as well. Don't know why, but maybe it just relaxes my bones.

higher4life 2 Mar 2012

OMG! I'm trying to come off of Klonopin & have been in the hospital 3 times because of the withdrawal symptom's I'm having. I would assure you that if you try coming off of it you will have some of the same symptoms I'm having: tremors, fast heart rate(causing chest pains), shaking, hard to concentrate, confusion and those are just some. Whatever you do please get off these medications! It has screwed up my life in general, married with 3 kids' and my husband probably think's I'm a big baby for the way I've been acting but seriously, this medication has made me feel like I was having a heart attack. When I was on it I felt comatose, almost like I was there but wasn't. It has broken me down to the point where I feel either I get off this medication or die! Being sedated all day every day has very serious consequences! I really felt like not doing anything, and it seemed as if I felt sickly a lot! Please look into the seriousness of these side effects. God Bless

Ive been on alot of them for many years. If valium work for you, STAY with them. From my experiences, its milder and my mother took them for about 30 years. Believe me, xanax has the worse effects on a person and the with drawels are severe. Hope that helps ya.

I have taken all kinds of meds for my Anxiety and my Depression. Some doctors think its the same disorder and like to treat with one med, not true.
Anxiety= After trying Valium, Xanax and klonopin here are my personal results.
I find Xanax to hit the fastest and the hardest but also does not last long so you will need more and more.Although the Xanax works fast and gets one high the fact that one needs more every day or the symptoms get worse. Xanax is out.

Xanax is by far the best prescribing medication for aniexty. It is the withdrawl symptoms that are horrific. And, can take your body months to years to get back to normal depending on how long you are on Xanax.

Biochem510 10 Jun 2012

How does horrible side effects make it the best? This makes no sense.

Hi guys

I am a recreational user of both Valium and Xanex, so I am no expert.

What I have found and been told is Xanex is way cleaner, stronger and longer acting then Valium, I could take a Full light blue Xanex at 12 pm tommorow afternoon, and the half life basically dies about 8 o clock the next night, compared to yellow Valium which dies out after about 6-8 hours in my experience, Valium has alot of crap in it whilst Xanex is the pure essence and is at the top of that particular drug family/tree.

ps: Xanex with green and or alcohol is great!

After reading everybody elses answers, i have to agree they all work differently for each individual. I am on xanax and mirtazapine for anxiety, panic attacks and depression. Without xanax I cant leave the house or live normally and function each day. Despite the numerous negatives about xanax it works for me, i dont abuse it, have a great GP who prescribes it and monitors how much i take, it has helped me enormously. In saying that yes it can be hard to come off, but so can most medication so get to a good GP and see what they suggest.

eerybody is defferent but i think xanax works best ( for me atleast)

Herkimer 8 Feb 2012

I have been on Xanax for 25 years. AT 5 years switched to generic. Started at 16-20 a day just to function at home. At end of 3 months down to 8-10 and felt well enough to leave home. At 6 months was at 5-6 a day and as independent as possible! It was a life saver! this is at .5 mg. In 1998 down to 3 or 4 average. Some days can get by with just 1/2 to 1. Other days need 3 or 4. I guard them with my life and count them daily since last few years I have been made to fel like an addict or that I sell them on side! At time of diagnois tried several other medications and they absolutely did not work! For me, Xanax has no side effects that I know. They allow me to appear "normal" 99% of time and to work etc.! What more can one ask for?

erinlovesmullets 29 Mar 2012

i have been taking xanax off and on for years. ive been taking them regularly for about 5 months now (5mg once or twice a day). this is the best thing ive ever taken. i feel like a normal, functioning member of society. ive been without for the past 4 days, and feel like im gonna die. die from the anxiety, not the withdrawl. im gonna take a valium, and i hope it works until i can go back to the dr. i have to say, that xanax is THE BEST medication ive ever taken for my anxiety.

Xanax and valium have both been found to be ineffectual for long term anxiety. Fine if its to get over a family death, a job loss or a messy divorce or breakup. But long term, both these types of benzos are a real non starter.

You build up a tolerance and addiction so quickly, they become innefectual totally, and if you dont take're screwed. You end up either increasing the dose to ridiculous amounts to get the same effect, or you just stay on the same dose and you just need to take them to function normally

Page 1 2 Next