Phenelzine Side Effects
It is possible that some side effects of phenelzine may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
For the Consumer
Applies to phenelzine: oral tablet
As well as its needed effects, phenelzine may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.
If any of the following side effects occur while taking phenelzine, check with your doctor immediately:More common
- cold sweats
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position
- overactive reflexes
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- sudden jerky movements of the body
- trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- actions that are out of control
- burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings
- change in consciousness
- clay-colored stools
- dark urine
- decrease in frequency of urination
- decrease in urine volume
- difficult or troubled breathing
- difficulty in passing urine (dribbling)
- disorganized thoughts
- false or unusual sense of well-being
- fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- fear or nervousness
- general feeling of discomfort, illness, or weakness
- high blood pressure
- increased sweating
- irregular, fast or slow, or shallow breathing
- lack of emotion or feelings
- loss of appetite
- loss of consciousness
- loud or fast speech
- low blood pressure
- muscle tremors
- muscle twitching
- nausea or vomiting
- no emotion or expression in speech
- painful urination
- pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
- rapid, deep, or shallow breathing
- seeing or hearing things that are not there
- shakiness and unsteady walk
- shortness of breath
- slow or irregular heartbeat
- stomach cramps
- swelling of the feet or lower legs
- talking, feeling, and acting with excitement
- uncontrolled eye movements
- unpleasant breath odor
- unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination
- unusual paleness
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- vomiting of blood
- yellow eyes or skin
Some phenelzine side effects may not need any medical attention. As your body gets used to the medicine these side effects may disappear. Your health care professional may be able to help you prevent or reduce these side effects, but do check with them if any of the following side effects continue, or if you are concerned about them:More common
- decreased interest in sexual intercourse
- dry mouth
- inability to have or keep an erection
- loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
- loss of appetite
- not able to have an orgasm
- passing of gas
- stomach pain, fullness, or discomfort
- trouble sleeping
- unable to sleep
- unusually deep sleep
- unusually long duration of sleep
- weight gain
- blurred vision
- decreased vision
- eye pain
- redness, swelling, or soreness of the tongue
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to phenelzine: oral tablet
Nervous system side effects have included dizziness, headache, drowsiness, sleep disturbances (including insomnia and hypersomnia), fatigue, tremors, twitching, myoclonic movements, and hyperreflexia. Less common side effects have included jitteriness, euphoria, nystagmus, paresthesias, ataxia, manic reaction, and convulsions.
Gastrointestinal side effects have included constipation, dry mouth, and gastrointestinal disturbances.
Hepatic side effects have included elevated serum transaminases (without accompanying signs and symptoms). Less common side effects have included reversible jaundice and fatal progressive necrotizing hepatocellular damage.
Metabolic side effects have included weight gain and hypernatremia. Hypermetabolic syndrome (which may include, but is not limited to, hyperpyrexia, tachycardia, tachypnea, muscular rigidity, elevated creatine kinase levels, metabolic acidosis, hypoxia, and coma) has been reported rarely and may resemble an overdose.
Cardiovascular side effects have included postural hypotension and edema.
Genitourinary side effects have included sexual disturbances (e.g., anorgasmia, ejaculatory disturbances, and impotence) and urinary retention.
Dermatologic side effects have included pruritus, skin rash, and sweating.
Ocular side effects have included blurred vision and glaucoma.
Hematologic side effects have rarely included leukopenia.
Immunologic side effects have rarely included a lupus-like syndrome.
More about phenelzine
- Other brands: Nardil
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.