Alendronate / cholecalciferol Side Effects
Some side effects of alendronate / cholecalciferol may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
For the Consumer
Applies to alendronate / cholecalciferol: oral tablet
Along with its needed effects, alendronate / cholecalciferol may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking alendronate / cholecalciferol:Less common
- Chest pain, discomfort, or burning
- difficulty with swallowing
- muscle or bone pain
- pain with swallowing
- vomiting blood
- Abdominal or stomach cramps
- blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin
- bloating or swelling of the face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet
- difficulty with breathing
- irregular heartbeats
- joint pain
- large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
- mood or mental changes
- muscle cramps in the hands, arms, feet, legs, or face
- numbness and tingling around the mouth, fingertips, or feet
- rapid weight gain
- red skin lesions, often with a purple center
- red, irritated eyes
- shortness of breath
- sore throat
- sores, ulcers, or white spots in the mouth or on the lips
- swelling of the neck
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- unusual weight gain or loss
- Burning upper abdominal or stomach pain
- difficulty with moving
- heavy jaw feeling
- loosening of a tooth
- loss of appetite
- muscle aching or cramping
- muscle pains or stiffness
- pain or burning in the throat
- pain, swelling, or numbness in the mouth or jaw
- severe bone, joint, or muscle pain
- stomach bloating, burning, cramping, or pain
- swollen joints
- weight loss
Some side effects of alendronate / cholecalciferol may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:Less common
- Acid or sour stomach
- excess air or gas in the stomach or intestines
- full feeling
- passing gas
- pressure in the stomach
- stomach discomfort, upset, or pain
- swelling of the abdominal or stomach area
- Blurred vision or other change in vision
- decreased vision
- eye pain
- eye redness
- eye tenderness
- flushing or redness of the skin
- increased tearing
- redness of the eye
- sensitivity of the eye to light
- severe eye pain
- unusually warm skin
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- general feeling of discomfort or illness
- hair loss
- hives or welts
- lack or loss of strength
- sensation of spinning
- thinning of the hair
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to alendronate / cholecalciferol: oral tablet
Gastrointestinal side effects have included abdominal pain, nausea, dyspepsia, constipation, melena, diarrhea, flatulence, acid regurgitation, esophagitis, esophageal erosion, esophageal ulcer, vomiting, dysphagia, abdominal distension, gastritis, gastroesophageal ulcer, duodenal ulcer, and gastric ulcer. Rarely, esophageal stricture or perforation has been reported.
Musculoskeletal side effects have included muscle cramp and bone, muscle and/or joint pain which were occasionally severe and rarely incapacitating. Localized osteonecrosis of the jaw, generally associated with tooth extraction and/or local infection, often with delayed healing, has been reported rarely. Joint swelling has been reported in postmarketing experience. Also, low-energy femoral shaft and subtrochanteric fractures have been reported in postmarketing experience.
Nervous system side effects have included headache, dizziness, and taste perversion. Dizziness and vertigo have been reported in postmarketing experience.
Dermatologic side effects have included rash (occasionally with photosensitivity), pruritus, rare severe skin reactions including Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis.
Other side effects have included uveitis, scleritis and episcleritis.
Hypersensitivity side effects have included urticaria, and rarely angioedema.
General side effects have included transient symptoms of myalgia, malaise, and rarely fever. Asthenia and rare instances of peripheral edema have been reported in postmarketing experience.
Postmarketing side effects have included exacerbations of asthma.
More alendronate/cholecalciferol resources
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This drug information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.