NuedextaTreatment for Pseudobulbar Affect
Update: Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine) Now FDA Approved - October 29, 2010
AVANIR Announces Submission of Rolling NDA With Priority Review for Neurodex
SAN DIEGO, --December 16, 2004 - AVANIR Pharmaceuticals (AMEX:AVN) announced today it has begun submission of a New Drug Application (NDA) seeking marketing approval of Neurodex, an investigational drug for the treatment of pseudobulbar affect. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) offered a "rolling" review of a new drug application (NDA) for Neurodex and also indicated that Neurodex would qualify for a priority review when the submission is complete. AVANIR expects to complete its submission in the first half of 2005.
AVANIR is seeking approval of Neurodex as a therapy for patients with pseudobulbar affect (PBA), a symptom complex that is characterized by uncontrollable episodes of crying or laughing. An estimated one million patients with neurological conditions such as ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease, Alzheimer's disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), stroke and traumatic brain injury may be affected by PBA. The NDA for Neurodex will be supported by data from two controlled, multicenter Phase III clinical trials conducted in the U.S. and Israel.
"AVANIR has worked diligently to expeditiously develop Neurodex and we are very pleased that the FDA will allow us to submit our NDA on a rolling basis with priority review when the submission is complete," said James E. Berg, Vice President of Clinical and Regulatory Affairs at AVANIR. "PBA is becoming recognized as a condition that has a profound effect on quality of life for people that suffer from neurological disorders. With no drug indicated for the treatment of PBA, this NDA submission represents an important step forward in the potential care and treatment of patients suffering from pseudobulbar affect."
The company is utilizing a process that allows an NDA to be submitted on an ongoing basis. A rolling review will allow the FDA to evaluate modules of the NDA as they are submitted. Additionally, the FDA has indicated that the Neurodex NDA is eligible for a priority preview. Per the Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA), the FDA's goal is to complete priority reviews within 6 months compared to 10-12 months for a standard PDUFA review.
AVANIR has the exclusive license to develop, manufacture and market Neurodex for four potential indications: pseudobulbar affect, neuropathic pain, chronic cough and weaning drug-dependent patients from narcotics and anti-depressants. The company in-licensed the product in August 2000. In June 2002 the first pivotal Phase III trial in ALS patients with PBA was completed. In June 2004 the second pivotal Phase III trial in MS patients with MS and PBA was completed. In June 2003 a Phase II trial in diabetic neuropathic pain was completed. There are six U.S. patents issued for Neurodex.
AVANIR Pharmaceuticals is a drug discovery and development company focused on treatments for chronic diseases. Our product candidates address therapeutic markets that include central nervous system and cardiovascular disorders, inflammation, and infectious disease. The Company's first commercialized product, Abreva(R), is marketed in North America by GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare and is the leading over-the-counter product for the treatment of cold sores.
Further information about AVANIR can be found at www.avanir.com.
Posted: December 2004
- Avanir Pharmaceuticals Announces FDA Approval of Nuedexta - November 1, 2010
- Avanir Pharmaceuticals Announces Zenvia Review Timeline Established by FDA with PDUFA Date of October 30, 2010 - May 17, 2010
- AVANIR Pharmaceuticals Submits Complete Response to FDA Approvable Letter for Zenvia in PBA - April 30, 2010
- Zenvia Phase III PBA Trial Completes Patient Enrollment - March 16, 2009
- AVANIR Pharmaceuticals Announces Conference Call to Provide Zenvia FDA Meeting Update - February 27, 2007
- Avanir Receives FDA Approvable Letter for Zenvia for the Treatment of Involuntary Emotional Expression Disorder - October 31, 2006
- FDA Informs Avanir of Revised Neurodex NDA Action Date - June 19, 2006
- Avanir's Neurodex NDA Accepted with Priority Review for Involuntary Emotional Expression Disorder - April 4, 2006
- Avanir Submits Expanded Neurodex New Drug Application for the Treatment of Involuntary Emotional Expression Disorder - January 30, 2006
- Further Update on Avanir's Neurodex New Drug Application - September 22, 2005
- Avanir Submits NDA for Neurodex - June 30, 2005