InvegaTreatment for Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective Disorder
New Drug Application Submitted for Paliperidone - a Potential New Treatment for Schizophrenia
TITUSVILLE, N.J., November 30, 2005 -- Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Research & Development, LLC announced that it has submitted a New Drug Application to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for Paliperidone Extended-Release (ER) Tablets, an investigational extended- release, once daily, oral medication for the treatment of schizophrenia.
Paliperidone ER uses the patented OROS technology, which releases drug into the bloodstream steadily over a 24-hour period. Paliperidone ER will be marketed in the United States by Janssen, L.P., a wholly owned subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson. The trade name for the marketed product has not yet been determined.
The paliperidone ER filing is based on an extensive global clinical development program that involved more than 1,600 patients in 23 countries. Regulatory submissions are expected to follow for paliperidone ER in other countries.
Schizophrenia affects more than 2 million Americans and is characterized by symptoms such as hallucinations, delusions, social withdrawal and a diminished capacity for organized thought.
Source: Janssen, L.P.
Posted: November 2005
- FDA Approves sNDA for Invega Sustenna (paliperidone palmitate) for Schizoaffective Disorder - November 13, 2014
- Invega Approved as Treatment for Schizophrenia in Adolescents - April 11, 2011
- Invega Approved as the First and Only Treatment for Schizoaffective Disorder - August 6, 2009
- FDA Approves Invega Sustenna for the Acute and Maintenance Treatment of Schizophrenia - August 3, 2009
- Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Research & Development, L.L.C. Announces FDA Filings for Paliperidone Palmitate and Invega - February 6, 2009
- FDA Issues Complete Response Letter for Paliperidone Palmitate for the Treatment of Schizophrenia - August 27, 2008
- Elan Announces the Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Research & Development Submission of a New Drug Application to the FDA for Paliperidone Palmitate Using Elan's Proprietary NanoCrystal Technology - October 29, 2007
- FDA Approves Invega for Long-Term Maintenance Treatment of Schizophrenia - April 27, 2007
- Invega Approved By FDA as New Treatment for Schizophrenia - December 21, 2006
- Janssen, L.P. Selects Invega (paliperidone) Extended Release Tablets as Brand Name for Its Investigational Atypical Antipsychotic - November 10, 2006
- FDA Issues Approvable Letter for Paliperidone ER for the Treatment of Schizophrenia - September 29, 2006