Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Magnesium silicate (MgSiO3) when hydrated is most commonly known as "talc". In the pharmaceutical industry it is used as an anticaking agent to improve powder flow in tablet compression. Talc is used cosmetically in talcum and baby powder as an adsorbent. Talc has been reported to be used in some food products, and is generally recognized as safe by the FDA.
Natural talc contains asbestos, a substance that may lead to lung cancer. However, talcum products used in cosmetics have been free of asbestos since the 1970s. Some studies have reported small increases in ovarian cancer with the use of asbestos-free talcum powder, but studies are conflicting and the results are not definitive. The American Cancer Society suggests corn starch-based cosmetics might be an alternative in those concerned about talc use.
 FDA’s SCOGS database; Magnesium silicate, Report No. 61, 1979.; ID Code: 1343-88-0; http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fcn/fcnDetailNavigation.cfm?rpt=scogsListing&id=61; accessed August 18, 2011.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Aspir-Low aspirin 81 mg (Major Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Carisoprodol 350 mg (Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories,Ltd.)
- Ciprofloxacin Hydrochloride 500 mg (Cobalt Laboratories Inc)
- Citalopram Hydrobromide 20 mg (Amneal Pharmaceuticals)
- Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride 10 mg (Breckenridge Pharmaceutical, Inc.)
- Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride 10 mg (Amneal Pharmaceuticals)
- Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride 5 mg (Breckenridge Pharmaceutical, Inc.)
- Gabapentin 600 mg (Glenmark Generics Inc.)
- Gabapentin 300 mg (Greenstone Limited)
- Gabapentin 300 mg (Actavis Elizabeth LLC)
- Gabapentin 800 mg (Glenmark Generics Inc.)
- Lexapro 10 mg (Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Lexapro 20 mg (Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Lyrica 75 mg (Pfizer U.S. Pharmaceuticals Group)
- Nabumetone 500 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Nucynta tapentadol 50 mg (Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Nucynta tapentadol 100 mg (Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Nucynta tapentadol 75 mg (Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Omeprazole 20 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 20 mg (Kremers Urban)