I have been reading these forums for a long time. One thing I could never understand is the wide variance in people's experiences when reducing their Sub dosage. I would like to explain a possible theory below...

An 8mg Suboxone pill contains 8mg of Buprenorphine plus Naloxone. The Naloxone is is not relevant to this discussion. If you cut that pill in half, you would assume that each half contains 4mg. That is not the case.

With most medications, a fluctuation of .1mg is not a big deal, with Buprenorphine, it matters quite a bit. I have a friend who works at what is called a compounding pharmacy and had him analyze a few pills. Deviations up to .258mg were discovered.

Keep in mind, it is impossible to break a pill perfectly in half. I was told that as a result, weight is used as the measure, not size.

A few things of note:
This test was performed on brand Suboxone Sublingual Tablets, not generic, and not Subutex. I asked a Sub Dr. in my local area who also has had this suspicion, as a result, he tries to only work with the strips, which he says do not have such problems. This is only his personal experience. I didn't have a test performed on the strips, nor can I afford the expense to have this done a second time.

If for whatever reason you can't get the strips, I believe that crushing the pills to a fine powder, mixing the resulting powder, and dividing up the powder into your doses will be advantageous. If you can afford a scale that is accurate to fractions of a milligram, I would personally crush several pills and weigh each dose. Any comments on better methods for working around this would be appreciated.