Lexapro related suicide?
    east meadow is offline New Member

Default Lexapro related suicide?

My sister committed suicide two weeks ago, within a week of starting Lexapro. She went from being slightly depressed and anxious about her divorce to barely capable of functioning. She told me that after taking Lexapro, she felt something 'snap' in her brain and it scared her. My sister was a capable, funny, busy Mom, volunteering at school and taking great care of her home and kids seven weeks before this happened. She found out her husband was cheating and stealing and as she moved toward a divorce, became anxious and depressed, but not suicidal until after she was prescribed Lexapro.
    Has anyone heard of this before, or does anyone know of any dangers of taking Lexapro with Synthroid?
    Thank you if anyone has information to share.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

I'm very sorry for your loss.I have heard of the snapping of the brain before as my cousin committed a couple years ago and he had mentioned this to my wife.I don't think it's necessarily related to the drug as it is to the sickness that my cousin had.You never know what's happening in someones head really.Have you googled this to see if there are any support groups for people that have had family or friends commit suicide while taking Lexapro??? I bet you would find some if you googled it.Once again I'm sorry for your loss and wish you all the best in the future......Dave

texascommentor is offline New Member

Default Suicidal ideation, suicide, and lexapro

First: I'm 22, and I took 5mg/day of Lexapro for 2.5 months.

I was prescribed Lexapro for treating depression a few months ago. I remember that prior to taking the Lexapro I felt very bad, but had what I'd call only very "distant" thoughts of "not being around."

However, within the first few days of taking Lexapro, and particularly during the first 2 weeks, I experienced SIGNIFICANT AND ALMOST CONSTANT suicidal ideation (thinking of killing myself).

In addition, the suicidal ideation was of a particularly strong type... not only was I thinking of killing myself, but I was thinking of many different ways to do it and trying to ensure that if/when I went through with it, it would be effective and permanent. According to medical literature, this is the worst kind of suicidal ideation (short of an actual attempt) because you have progressed to the active "planning" stage.

I cannot emphasize enough how frequent and strong the thoughts and "urges" were, but I kept "hanging on."

Also, the suicidal thinking never really stopped though the 2 months I was taking it, though it was slightly less than the first 2-3 weeks.

Another thing worth mentioning: I took 10mg the first day, and because of its strong effects I cut my dose to 5mg the next day and kept it at 5mg every day.

Another side effect that developed other than the suicidal thinking was constant sleeping and even more lethargy than I had before going on medication. At first I thought I was just sleeping all the time and lazy, but I gradually realized after a few 15-18 hour "nights" that it couldn't just be me!

I was also seeing a therapist throughout the entire process and the therapist could not help me work my way "out of" the suicidal thinking, despite alot of effort on both her part and mine.

Finally, almost as a "last attempt at life" before offing myself, I concluded that I would ask a local clinic to prescribe Wellbutrin after alot of research.

I selected Wellbutrin because I knew that it worked on a different part of the brain than most other antidepressants: it targets dopamine (reward chemical) rather than seratonin (feel good chemical). Wellbutrin is the only antidepressant in the US that targets dopamine primarily (it is NOT an SSRI or SNRI like most of the other antidepressants). Dopamine is associated with addictive drugs, though Wellbutrin has no abuse potential. Dopamine is also what is targeted in ADD/ADHD drugs.

So I got prescribed 300mg/day of Wellbutrin SR (not XL), starting with 150mg/day for the first 3 days, then upping to 150mg/twice-daily. I've been taking for nearly a month now. I "weaned" off of Lexapro by taking approx 2.5mg every day for two weeks, then stopping (I used a pill splitter).

Too my surprise, I began actually feeling better within days of taking the Wellbutrin, and gradually got better and better despite poor things going on in my life that actually worsened in some ways. It helped me to actually deal with these ongoing problems (still going on now).

I was also kind of shocked when I realized that I hadn't had any suicidal ideation for a few days consecutively (after taking Wellbutrin for about a week). It's now been a month since I've been on Wellbutrin, and even with some really bad news that made me feel very sad -- I didn't think about suicide.

It's actually kind of traumatic thinking back to my Lexapro days and strong suicidal urges and planning. They felt very real and as though I was wanting to do it because of myself (not some drug). I now know that the drug played a major role in my thinking, and very real desire to kill myself. It feels very strange thinking about my state of mind over all of those weeks.

Suicidal ideation are apparently pretty common with SSRI/SNRI's like Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, Zoloft, so much so that warning labels are required by the FDA on these medications. Wellbutrin also got thrown into the group when the FDA issued suicide warnings, though I've googled about the internet for people reporting (new or greater) suicidal urges on Wellbutrin and I've found no forum postings of that nature. However, such postings abound for the other drugs like Lexapro, with people reporting increased suicidal thinking. Wellbutrin is prescribed very frequently (comparable to Lexapro), so you'd expect at least a few postings if that was a common side effect.

Anyways, perhaps Wellbutrin does increase suicidal ideation for some people, but my experience was exactly the opposite, fortunately.

I should note that the factors in my life haven't really changed, and if anything they have worsened in several respects. Yet, I'm feeling better and I can better manage these things. I'm now working on consolidating my view of life and trying to develop positive outlooks within my own thinking, with the support of Wellbutrin.

- Texan, 22 years old.

Other notes:

I stopped seeing the therapist before I started Wellbutrin, so therapy had nothing to do with recovery. I also used none of the techniques from therapy, because I found them useless over the months I went. I attribute my improvement completely to the Wellbutrin and nothing else.

I specifically insisted on taking the branded form of Wellbutrin and not the generic bupropion substitute because of many incidental reports on the internet that the generic form didn't work when some patients taking Wellbutrin switched to it (to save money). When those same patients went back on the branded Wellbutrin, the got better again. Maybe it was a bad batch, or poor production process used with the generic.

However -- I am planning on trying the generic form at some point in the next few months, but I want to get a few good months behind me before I "risk" switching to the generic. I DO NOT want to be in the depths of depression or suicidal thinking, and I'm not ready to explore that possibility right now if the generic in fact doesn't work.

Some quick facts from wikipedia:

SSRI's:
    * citalopram (Celexa, Cipramil, Emocal, Sepram, Seropram)
    * escitalopram oxalate (Lexapro, Cipralex, Esertia)
    * fluoxetine (Prozac, Fontex, Seromex, Seronil, Sarafem, Fluctin (EUR))
    * fluvoxamine maleate (Luvox, Faverin)
    * paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat, Aropax, Deroxat, Rexetin, Xetanor, Paroxat)
    * sertraline (Zoloft, Lustral, Serlain)
    * dapoxetine (no known trade name)

SNRI's:
    * venlafaxine (tradenames Effexor XR®, Effexor®) is the first and most commonly used SNRI. Although it also works on dopamine somewhat at high dosages, the majority of its effect is on serotonin and norepinephrine.
    * desvenlafaxine (tradename Pristiq®) is the active metabolite of venlafaxine and is believed to work in the same manner. It will be introduced by Wyeth in late 2007-early 2008.
    * sibutramine (tradenames Meridia®, Reductil®) is an SNRI which failed to show antidepressant activity in animal tests, but instead has been widely marketed as an appetite suppressant drug for weight loss.
    * nefazodone (tradename Serzone®) is an antidepressant with efficacy similar to SSRIs, but without the sexual side effects. In fact, Serzone at times may act similarly to Wellbutrin in its neutral or at times positive effect on function. It has been discontinued in several countries due to rare cases of liver failure. The tradename "Serzone®" has been discontinued, however generic nefazodone is currently available (May 06). However, the liver failure is rare, and a simple blood test every 6 months to assess liver enzyme levels is sufficient. Nefazodone has an active metabolite which at higher doses (> 250mg/day) can increase anxiety.
    * milnacipran (tradename Dalcipran®/ Portugal; Ixel®/ France) has shown to be significantly effective in the treatment of depression and Fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS). Although it has not yet been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in the United States, it has been commercially available in Europe and Asia for several years.
    * desipramine (tradenames Norpramine®, Pertofraneis®) is technically a tricyclic antidepressant, and is usually categorized as such. It works, however, on both serotonin and norepinephrine, so it can also be considered an SNRI.
    * duloxetine (tradename Cymbalta®) by Eli Lilly and Company, also inhibits serotonin reuptake and has been approved for the treatment of depression and neuropathic pain in August of 2004.

Default Thank you for your response

Hi Texan,
    I am sorry that you have been through such an ordeal, but I am so happy that you hung in there and found a way to not only survive, but become proactive in your treatment.
    My sister jumped from the 8th floor of a parking garage in Boston, just hours after she promised me she was doing 'great' and telling me she 'didn't want me looking over her shoulder' all the time.
    I had been concerned about the Lexapro, and called the doctor who prescribed it the night before she died. The doctor's nurse refused to allow me to bring her in, or even let my sister talk to the doctor, even though I begged her for just 5 minutes. I took her to our local hospital ER and they went over her for 2 hours, then called me in to tell me she just had a 'bad case of the what-if's' Less than 24 hours later, she was dead.
    My life is shattered. Her abusive husband now has the children. It is also possible that he murdered her but we just don't know.

I pray that you continue to gain strength and your life takes a turn for the better. Hang in there. I appreciate you sharing your story with me and I applaud your strength and determination to help yourself.

Best wishes for a future filled with hope and happiness.
    S.

sgvivas is offline New Member

Default Lexapro

I'm a 37 year old woman that came across your message board. I too, am a mother, of two, a 19 year old girl and an 11 year old boy. I have been a dedicated mother and wife for the past 20 years despite my depression. I was born with depression, therefore, I have had to deal with this horrible illness since I can remember. I have taken about every medication there is out there, nothing helps. All I continue to cause is pain on my family, they are tired of my illnesses and mood swings. I have decided they would be much better off, without me in the picture, my husband is still young and can remarry and be happy for once. My children are the only thing that hurts me to leave behind, but I know I am hurting them more than helping as a mother should. Therefore, I have been researching a good combination of medications to commit suicide. I am tired of living this painful life. As for the medications that I am currently on, they are Lexapro, Clonazepam, Wellbutrin XL and Restoril.

Sad Mother From Sacramento California

Default Please!

sgvivas,
    I just checked back on this thread and found your post. I BEG YOU. PLEASE SEEk HELP. Your Doctor, a friend, a minster, a sister or brother, The Samaritans, anyone. Reach out and please accept any helping hand that is extended to you.
    Please do not do what you are thinking of doing. I beg you.
    I can tell you firsthand that those who love you will help you, and if you do the unthinkable, the lives you leave behind will be shattered, as mine has been shattered by the loss of my dear sister.
    Please post back and tell me you are ok. please.

das1127 is offline New Member

Default Your Sister's Suicide

I can't speak to what happened to your sister - but I lost a brother to suicide many years ago, so I have an idea how much pain you are in. I just weaned myself off Lexapro a month ago. I'm experiencing more depression than before. I have grave doubts about anti-depressants and whether they really help or do they just give a false sense of happiness. I too had a similar experience with finding out about my husband's infidelities and asking him to leave. I'm in therapy and it is very helpful, but I have reservations about using drugs to get through emotional pain and whether those drugs only keep you from experiencing "reality" and can't change things in any permanent way. I am now determined to just ride out the pain and hope that with time and therapy I will find my way to a happier healthier life. My thoughts are with you.

carrguitar is offline New Member

Default lexapro causes suicide

WARNING!!!!
    Please be aware my best friend has commited suicide while on Lexapro......a Christian man.
    My friend knows God well yet this Evil drug Lexapro has altered his mind to the point where he was not thinking of his wife, 3 kids, family and friends and he shot himself.
    Please people WAKE UP!!
    The drugs are the killers yet the doctors love to prescribe them because they make a buck along with the drup companies.
    "JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS" should apply to prescription drugs as they are killing us....just looka t all the advertised side effects they have to inform you of....the side effects are worse than the original ailment.
    When deppressed, look to family and friends and God for the answer for depression is just Evil trying to bring you down and you winn by praying to God and itn time the Evil will move on(Probably to some one you know so please pass this meassage on).
    God bless

bdoon51 is offline New Member

Cool Lexapro

I took Lexapro when I was suicidal. However since then I have learned about a study which found that Lexapro can aggravate or perhaps even lead to suicide. Do not know what study but this is scary...this is what hapens when you allow a family physician or GP treat your mental health.

bdoon51 is offline New Member

Your kids really need you and you need to see a good psychiatrist who can and will sort out all those drugs you are taking. Perhaps you need therapy more than the anti-depressants. Killing yourself might throw one of your children into a lifetime depression...also life will get better and will be good if you let it. However if you filter everything thru a depression mask you will continue as you have.

Life and we as part of it ,change. After some sad bad times the natural response of the psyche is joy, love of life and gratitude. These will come but please be honest with yourself....something is making you the way you are...try with a therapist or friend to figure out what it is...meds should never be the main response...it is a helper but that is all.

Rollercoaster is offline Member

I took Lexapro for two weeks on 10mg for mild depression and anxiety connected with my Husbands infidelity. I have never in my life had suicidal thoughts, but one night (the night before I stopped cold turkey) my brain went crazy and I wanted to commit suicide - Everything was negative, I felt paranoid, my vision was completely messed up, I was scared, I was a child again, I saw black shadows creeping around the room.

Since then I have gone on to a tiny dose of 2.5mg lexapro - and its pretty good. I feel like it takes the edge of the anxiety and depression, whislt not masking the issues - forcing me to deal with them throughtherapy.

I think peoples tolerances to these drugs can sometimes be to a real extreme - mine obviously being very low. I tried 5mg yesterday and flipped out again ... no no no

Anyhow, I htink too high a dose can 'snap' your brain. However, I am not ruling out lexapro I think its good - but I will never take more than 2.5mg (which tbh probably acts as a lacebo in my case)

sarche is offline New Member

Default Lexapro recovery

I was prescribed lexapro for my so called depression but it drove me deeper into depression. For 7 months I suffered. I thought I slept after taking the drug but it was false and shallow sleep. I was like a zombie, more dead than alive. It was the most miserable period of my life. I was so tired and full of suicidal thoughts and nearly killed myself.

I found the Benzoisland forum and they helped me understand the drug, take a fresh and wholesome diet and to taper off the drug slowly and I recovered fully. Never stop talking the drug suddenly as the withdrawal symptoms are so horrible. Taper off slowly. That was 5 years ago and I am drug free and continue to lead a happy and active life.

I hope all of you can taper off the drug and recover and live a happy and drug free life.

Watchwolf is offline New Member

Default Does It Matter?

I've been taking Lexapro for years. 8, I think. it was initially for depression, but anxiety was also indicated. It seems I also have TLE (Temporal Lobe Epilepsy) from a hit on the head around 1980. That brought on seizures, so I'm told, of an emotional variety. Besides feelings of displacement disorientation and confusion TLE causes fits of basic emotional response extremely out of proportion to the event. Pick an emotion and it can be exacerbated by TLE. But no one really cares about it until the emotion is anger or frustration. I went into rages for no apparent reason, never physically violent but so very violent in every other way. When it was over I'd sit and wonder what just happened. How can I fix it this time. And when is it going to happen again. My dear wife of 10 years couldn't deal with it much longer.

I was diagnosed with the depression before they figured it out. When the TLE was discovered it became evident that the depression was a result of the internal confusion and sadness after an outburst, a seizure. Then came the anxiety about when it was going to happen again.

I hated taking it. I hate taking the Lamictal too. I should not have to use artificial stimulation in order to be me, to be myself, to be socially acceptable.The wife insisted I continue taking it. I didn't want to, it makes me feel emotionally numb and uncaring. After time we are now separated and divorcing anyway.

I stopped taking the Lexapro immediately. I didn't notice any real difference at first. But as time wore on I began to feel anxious, like I couldn't sit still, like I didn't belong anywhere. I went to friends homes and felt like I had to leave after only a half/hour. I figured it was due to the stress of the situation. I love her dearly and don't want this. I will do anything. But she is refusing to consider it. I finally couldn't stand how I was feeling and started taking the Lexapro again (10mg once daily). In a few days I began to feel better. The anxiety went away and I could sit through a meal or movie again.

But the sadness remains. the feeling of not wanting this and not being happy alone has turned into I can't do this anymore and I would rather be dead than live like this anymore.Before I actually moved out I saw this coming. I knew what would happen. So I took I think it was 52 of (I wish I could remember the name) sleep aids that were prescribed some six months ago. Then I went to bed.

Dammit if she didn't shake and slap and holler until I woke up the next morning. I will never forgive that. It's like nursing a condemned man to health so he can be executed.

Back on the lexapro, all I can think of is I can't do this, I won't do this and if she tries to force a divorce on me she won't need one.

Is it Lexapro? Or is it pure misery. One person who knows me says "no one is worth that". He doesn't get it. Worth what? What's not worth it is existing day to endless day in this living hell.

Is it Lexapro?

Or is it a choice?

If I weren't such a wuss and afraid of pain ... so I'll collect the right stuff and be ready. Or maybe,. why wait? I can see it coming.
    Last edited by Watchwolf; 12-04-2010 at 11:07 PM.

kingflow is offline New Member

Default Suicide? Say What!!

EVERYONE - IF YOU FEEL REAL BAD IT'STHE MEDS!!
    If you are feeling extreme FEELINGS such as suicide its the MEDS!!

example: I am on wellbutrin for depression. I had a cold and took zyrtec-d. it has pseudoephedrine in it. in 2 days I went from being productive yet on edge from wellbutrin to down in the dumps from the cold med.. Why? in this case the cold med produces more norepinephrine and my wellubtrin blocks the uptake of it. I added more of the stuff I am trying to block just from my silly cold medicine. Seriously!

IF YOU ARE ON ANY ANTI-DEPRESSANT and you feel extreme such as suicidal to the point you actually think you may do it then blame it on your MEDS!!

Mood Stabilizers can help you and give you a great life. Lamictal was prescribed to my friend just for depression. but wait! it is a mood stabilizer. it takes away the extreme lows. It Helped! One should never feel the way you are feeling now and it can be the MEDS! I am sorry you feel so bad!

If you think you are going to Kill yourself go to a hospital ER and say that you think you are having a severe reaction to your medicine because you are having realistic thoughts of suicide. Seriously!! Its not that bad...My sister has bi-polar. I found her one day on a train in NY with a guitar and she thought she was a musician. Problem is that she does not know how to play guitar! lol... I took her to the ER. She spent a few days, meds were fixed and she was better. Seriously!!

Don't want to do this? Hell, write me. I will call you and we can talk... or I can even come visit.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 01-29-2011 at 02:30 PM.

qwerk is offline New Member

Default not being medicated

Well, I ve tried a lot of antidepressants. From tca's to celexa. All of them! Including a course of shock therapy. Nothing works.
    Now years later all I take is cloanazepam for anxiety. Everything sort of was manageable till my partner of 12 yrs decided to leave. However I have to live the next 3/4 yr due to a lease with her. She's my best friend. My everything.
    Depression is life long for some. I am heartbroken without any coping mechanisms.
    Sorry to say, I bought rope. Know how to tie a noose properly. Saved scripts from years ago. amatryptaline x 2 bottles. 100 clonazepam low dose. fiorinal. I figure Im just waiting for the breaking point now. OD and when the sedation sets in fall into the noose. Think I'll get it right this time!

Heres the thing. Go get help? Might lose the job. Lose the apt. Hospitalization never worked for me. Who has the time to sort out their psychiatric stuff when its never helped before? The patient is always on the losing end. Whether it be the stigma of being a psychiatric.....and ur wife, husband or partner will always use that against you. You will use that against you.
    Simple enough...Just want to be loved unconditionally. Not family that you never see but your partner.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by qwerk View Post
    Well, I ve tried a lot of antidepressants. From tca's to celexa. All of them! Including a course of shock therapy. Nothing works.
    Now years later all I take is cloanazepam for anxiety. Everything sort of was manageable till my partner of 12 yrs decided to leave. However I have to live the next 3/4 yr due to a lease with her. She's my best friend. My everything.
    Depression is life long for some. I am heartbroken without any coping mechanisms.
    Sorry to say, I bought rope. Know how to tie a noose properly. Saved scripts from years ago. amatryptaline x 2 bottles. 100 clonazepam low dose. fiorinal. I figure Im just waiting for the breaking point now. OD and when the sedation sets in fall into the noose. Think I'll get it right this time!

Heres the thing. Go get help? Might lose the job. Lose the apt. Hospitalization never worked for me. Who has the time to sort out their psychiatric stuff when its never helped before? The patient is always on the losing end. Whether it be the stigma of being a psychiatric.....and ur wife, husband or partner will always use that against you. You will use that against you.
    Simple enough...Just want to be loved unconditionally. Not family that you never see but your partner.
    Hi Qwerk
    you never know what the future will bring...you may find your true soulmate tomorrow...when I get down I like to think about the future in a good way ..
    and say your best days are yet to come... if you need someone to talk to im here.
    hope to talk to you soon, Melinda

cuttyracer is offline New Member

I am 17, and my doctor gave me lexapro 10mg when i went in with complaints of bad chest pain. He told me it was stress and depression related, after a breif arguement on weather or not I was depressed I agreed to try the medication. He tried to convince me I was depressed because a year before I underwent surgery for thyroid cancer. He also adjusted my back which relieved the chest pain. I took the medicine as prescibed and was sick and did not eat for 3 days. once i made myself eat it was very hard to keep it down. i went back to him and had yet another arguement because i stopped taking it after being that sick. so I went back on it... I noticed it very gradually i would feel fine most of the time (besides nausia and tiredness) but when something bad would happen i would become so emotional and depressive. and recently i have been very suicidal and depressive... not to the point i think i could really do it but i mean very emotional. I have stopped taking the lexapro and have an appointment with a shrink tomorrow. But I do believe that alot of doctors are being irresponsible with prescribing this drug.

CO Guy is offline New Member

Default Lexapro worked for me

I was on Lexapro for 14 months and found it very effective. I was alot less depressed and more hopeful towards everyday living in general. Although I committed suicide a few months ago, I am certain it had nothing to do with Lexapro. I would give it a try.

shybaybe2003 is offline Senior Member

I hope you meant you ATTEMPTED suicide...sorry that got me laughing a little. I have a hx of suicide attempts also. I am on cymbalta and that seems to working great. GLad to see your doing better. I think we both know, i hope, suicide is never an answer. There is no coming back from that.

batonrougegirl is offline New Member

Default Laxepro kills

First day on laxepro I was on the bus in the back seat lying on the floor coming from New Orleans Tulane Hospital scared of the bridge and water because of dreams that the bridge collapsed and I fell into the water I cant swim so you know why I did this. Not liking to take drugs I held the prescription for about a weak. Me being suicidal and getting frustrated at this point and something telling me you need this drug I got the prescription. Second time taking the drug just looking at the tv really not even seeing or hearing it and with five kids not hearing them either peace at last. Day 5 turning on the gas stove just looking at the fire for hours something telling me to put my hands in it and something telling me no, my mind fighting with itself. Don,t remember nothing at all after this but boyfriend gave me the drug on time as he told me this. Day 29 on the drug I remember walking home barefoot from the hospital. I was so tired and went to sleep. I woke up 2 days later and my kids told me Mom you were on top of a bridge about to jump. So you really thing this drug is safe.

vanilla33 is offline New Member

Default brain sick

I'm 33 I have 5 kids and I've been married for 14 years now.
    I started lexapro last week because of depression and anxiety.
    Its not helping I feel like a zombie. My chest hurts some times and
    I always feel dizzy. I'm a great mother I love my kids but somehow last few
    Months I fell off. Before Lex -I thought about jumping off a bridge
    Or hanging or takin a bunch of pills. Now I'm considering a more accurate
    Or thorough approach. I hate admitting this because I wanted
    It to help me. I find others info to be helpful. I love my kids
    And I want to see them grow so I'm quitting this nasty
    Drug before I become a robot and do my self in. Good
    Luck to all.