Cure for distemper?
    newhere is offline New Member

Default Cure for distemper?

Has anyone heard anything about the Newcastle Disease Vaccine being used as a cure for distemper? Thoughts? Thank you.

aall7athome is offline New Member

Default cure for distemper

hello,
    did you ever find any new info on the new castle virus?
    any help thanks

cairysse1 is offline New Member

Thumbs up Yes

i researched that as well when i adopted a puppy from the pound who had distemper. although vets say they can not 'diagnose' it, she had all the symptoms and problems.

so i came across the newcastle vaccine thing. i emailed the dr. (this was 4 yrs ago and i forgot the vets name) and he immediately responded w/his work involving it giving super scientific data that i could only partiallyl understand from my limited A&P biology classes but he tried explaining it the best he could. i even spoke w/him personally on the phone. basically he said it works but it costs money to do 'real' experiments and not many ppl want to volunteer their pet to get a disease and see if some unknown treatment will work. he really wanted me to get back with him to see if my puppy recovered.

i dunno but i tried finding it at local feed stores bc no vets obviously had it bc its experimental. so finally i ordered it online. my puppy hadnt started having seizures yet and i must have went to 20 vets begging them to follow the directions and give it to her or even call the dr. (i think in california) but they ALL REFUSED citing legal repercussions bc i could sue them if something happened or if my dog died. i even said i'd sign a waiver but still NO.

if you have or have had a dog w/distemper you know how horrible it is and since there is no cure, the dog WILL DIE. so i tried telling them that hey, she's going to die, at least we could try something and see if it works. if it doesnt work, then she still is going to pass on regardless. still no help.

finally one dr told me to go to A&M (i live in houston, TX) to see if they could try the treatment. that day, taffey (her name) started having seizures and when we arrived in college station, they also said no but she passed away of a seizure not a minute later in my arms. you're suppossed to do the newcastle vaccine before the seizures start bc the vet said when that stage starts, there's not a whole lot of chance it will work. he said he succesfully recovered some from distemper in the very begining of the seizure stage but works best before you get there.

so anyway, all hope was lost for me. amazing how attached you can become with a little puppy in a short period of time. i threw the vaccine i ordered away (it was pretty cheap) but to make everything better. YOU CAN GIVE THE DOG THE VACCINE YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this i did not know. i didnt even know you could give your dog their rabies vaccines and parvo and all those otherones yourself too and its a lot cheaper. its not hard to do and if you are scared, you CAN get ahold of that vet who discovered it. now why couldn't any of the vets tell me i could have tried it myself?!?!?! now its too late and i cant change the past but if i'm ever in that situation again and my advice to anyone who is in it, is DON'T HESITATE. try it NOW. it can't hurt and it could save the life of your dog.

thank you.

newhere is offline New Member

I don't know who said distemper can't be diagnosed, but my dog was officially diagnosed with it, and she did survive without this Newcastle treatment.

cairysse1 is offline New Member

Default are you serious?

the vet (several) said it could only be officially diagnosed upon atopsy, sp?, and that there is no treatment/cure for it.

i do think i remember researching that it can be survived, i think, but the chances are slim to none especially when it hits the seizure phase.

this was over 4 yrs ago and details are a bit hazy. but i'm super happy your pup survived! thats wonderful!

reelbuyer is offline New Member

Default tremors resulting from distemper

My puppy survived distemper too but now has tremors from it. She does not have seizures and has had these tremors since she was 9 weeks old. They have gotten worse but have leveled off. We give her valium 3 times a day and gabapantin with the valium at night. Does anyone else have a dog with these residual tremors? Are there other medications that anyone has tried? They help calm the tremors at night and she sleeps well but during the day she really shakes. She doesn't seem too bothered by it and runs and plays. She is now 4 1/2 months old. She is healthy otherwise.

ROTICH is offline New Member

Distemper is indeed embarassing disease for dogs ,it is a viral one and only prevented by immunization at 6 wks,9 wks 12 wks and at 3 months of age.i feel sorry for your puppy and you too,since no treatment can be done ,and worse if involves the CNS.:

Giftbearer is offline New Member

Thumbs up Cure for Distemper?

Yes, to date there have now been 10 dogs saved with this treatment in both body and CNS. My dog Carmella was the first in the US outside a lab to have this injected into the spinal canal and it saved her life and killed the Distemper virus. Thanks to this discovery she not only survived Distemper but she will never have to worry about later deterioration and an early death.

Untreated (even if her symptoms had subsided on their own) the virus would have just lain dormant until a later date at which she would have eventually suffered Old Dog Encephalitis.

Here are some sites where you can get help for dogs with Distemper and read personal accounts from dogs' owners who have seen this treatment work first-hand.

http://artlifenewsblog.>>>>>>>>.com/
    http://www.edbond.com/distemper8.html
    http://apps.facebook.com/causes/176113

My vet was skeptical at first but luckily was willing to give it a chance because my dog was so sick there was nothing to lose by trying it. After just 2 days of the body segment of the treatment (an IV) his whole staff was amazed at Carmella's recovery! She had started to head downhill very fast and her pads had been peeling at an alarming rate, but after only 48 hrs it was obviously healing! I took pictures at 1 week and then at 2 weeks, and after 2 weeks they had healed completely. That made a believer out of my vet (because antibiotics don't do this). Carmella had increased energy, she started eating again, and her eyes started clearing up very quickly.

Waiting for a vet skilled with spinal taps to agree to do that part of the treatment Carmella developed myoclonus (chorea), jerking in the right front leg, and then started to develop it in the left hind leg. Finally, after looking night and day through pages of vets within 2 hours driving distance I was able to find a vet here in Atlanta to do the CNS part of the treatment just in time.

After she had the second injection (this time into the spinal canal) she had no further disease-progression, and in the weeks that followed she began to build muscle and her growth seemed to catapult. She grew double in size and weight and her coat became absolutely gleaming! For the first time she was developing her own unique personality.

She was hypersensitive to touch for awhile because of the past damage to her myelin the disease had caused before treatment, but over the first few months this calmed down and she loved to be petted and held again.

She now is robust and healthy overall the only reminder is the jerking in her right front leg (the myoclonus in her left, hind leg has already healed several months ago).

She has had some opportunistic skin infections because of a compromised immune system. That may have been genetic or it may be because she was so sick early in life and her immune system could be catching up.

Here are some pictures I posted on IndyPublic documenting some of her recovery. Take note of the captions under the pictures when you click on them.
    http://www.indiepublic.com/photo/alb...1:Album:541951
    and you can see more pictures of her along the way in my Flickr photostream here; http://www.flickr.com/people/giftbearer/

To view and print the latest version of the two-part protocol go here;

Body Cure/Using Serum/NDV Protocol
    http://caninedistemper.proboards.com...splay&thread=3

CSF-NDV Tap Procedure Protocol
    http://caninedistemper.proboards.com...splay&thread=4

There are two vets actively doing the CSF-NDV Tap Procedure in the US; one in Atlanta and one in Texas.

Dr. Sears, the originator of the treatment is retired but will speak with your vets if you would like. He can be reached at AntiDistemper@aol.com
    Please have your vet or another vet you think is open to it call him for back-up and to answer any medical questions.

If you are unable to find a vet to complete both parts where you live you can contact me through my blog, Ed's Facebook group site, or Daveyo's Proboards site and I'll put you in touch with one of the two practicing vets so that you can set up an appointment for your dog. The sooner you get this done the better your dog's prognosis, so it's best not to delay. The disease is very unpredictable and although a dog might look stable temporarily it can progress unexpectedly downhill and be catastrophic when you least expect it. I'll do whatever I can to help.

Sincerely,

Pippit
    Last edited by Giftbearer; 05-30-2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: correction

llrod13 is offline New Member

hey was this treatment quite expensive..

also who was the doctor in texas who can treat puppies with distemper because I live in Texas

please email information at llrod13@aol.com

phuonguy is offline New Member

Default vet name for treating distemper in texas

hi, can you give me the vet name for curing distemper in Texas, my email address is phuonguy@hotmail.com.

My Vet just told me that my dog has distemper and want to put him to sleep in the next few days....

thank you very much for your help.

PAM3838 is offline New Member

Exclamation I FOUND A CURE!!!!!!! 4-Life-Tranfer Factor Plus!!!!

I almost lost my "baby" 4 years ago to distemper. It was a horrific experience for me, she had distemper & we also had newborn puppies(3 ended up dying from seizures due to distemper) in our home at the same time. Everyone begged me to put her to sleep and I just knew I could find a way to save her. I searched and searched and searched for some kind of cure and as you all know there is none. She got the point that she could no longer walk outside to handle her business; I actually had to carry her outside and stand her up so that she could go potty. I'm not sure who says there's no test to see if they have distemper b/c there is and I had her tested and sure enough she tested active for distemper. One day I got a phone call from my mother and she asked me If i still had these vitamins that she bought me years before-(i knew that they were expensive vitamins) I told her "YES". She said that she found a website saying that it is a natural remedy to fight distemper. I quickly hung up the phone, found the pills and started giving my dog 2 a day(shes a 60 pd dog). That was 4 years ago( she never had a relapse like alot of vets said she would and eventually die-not true) - My dog is 6 yrs old - healthy & beautiful - some say she's TOO HEALTHY (she's just a little over weight :P) I had her tested again and she tested negative for distemper- my vet said in his whole profession he'd never seen anything that amazing. She was going to die any day and all of the sudden ALL the symptoms started to clear-her cough went away, her twitching stopped, the spots on her nose & paws disappeared- it was remarkable. Please locate a 4-LIFE distributor in your area-i think they go for $60 a bottle - and one bottle saved her life! Again it's called 4-Life Transfer Factor Plus. I'm glad I get to share this with others b/c losing a pet is like losing a family member- YOU CAN SAVE YOUR DOG!!! With loads of attention, love, & care PLUS the vitamins...your dog can live a healthy normal life. Feel free to e-mail me pam3838@hotmail.com.

Try 4-Life Transfer Factor Plus - saved my dog from distemper and got rid of ALL the symptoms they supposedly have for the rest of their life.

4-Life Transfer Factor Plus

Giftbearer is offline New Member

Smile Cure for Distemper

We are no longer recommending the vet in Texas, but there is a very good one in Atlanta and we may be accumulating one or two others who will do Dr. Sears' treatment in other states. It's worth traveling to find somebody who will do this right and takes all the necessary safety precautions.

I don't want to post these vets' contact information here publicly but if interested please contact me at the Facebook distemper group (Save Dogs from Canine Distemper) at http://apps.facebook.com/causes/176113/39891263?m=8267094b or contact Daveyo on his new website; http://www.CanineDistemperCure.com

This is the only proven cure that has been shown to actually kill the Distemper virus as of yet.

My cost to have Carmella treated (minus the supportive care while waiting for the treatment to begin) was around $400, but different vets may quote different prices.

If you can, get Care Credit (a veterinary credit card that offers same as cash interest free options when paid off in a certain length of time). I am very low income and this has made it possible for me.

In some locations Washington Mutual also offers a similar type of financing.
    Last edited by Giftbearer; 10-06-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: grammatical error

helpforpups is offline New Member

Default Distemper Info

Anyone in the west of the USA who is interested in the Newcastle treatment option is welcome to contact me or ED Bond...

This is not a proven cure, but an experimental treatment, in which we are trying to prove that Dr sears was right. so far results are very promising. 90% of the cases in the last 2 years done here in TX.

Please view http://www.edbond.com/distemper to learn more and to view stories of dogs that get treated.

Thanks

azdude is offline New Member

My 4 month old puppy was diagnosed with distemper one week ago. She did get a first 5 in 1 vaccine in late October.The vet gave her a shot to help with her respiratory system and another again on Saturday. Since then she has has had numerous seizures usually after eating or drinking. On Tuesday she appeared to be ready to go. I had been treating her with antibiotics and a herbal immunity booster drops. The day before she had seemed to be better as her appetite had greatly improved. However Tuesday the life was gone from her eyes and was not able to get up on her own and was not drinking and eating. I was ready to take her to the vet to get euthanized as I did not want her to suffer any more. But later that afternoon she started drinking and eating again. Wednesday she was eating and drinking like normal. She only had one seizure as well, however she has lost use of her hind legs. She seems to get mad that she is not able to get up, yet keeps trying. Today she has not a seizure yet, appears OK but cant stand up. I have contacted the vet in CA recommended by Ed Bond and talked to him on Tuesday. He told me it would cost about $1250.00 to inject this serum into her spine because he believed that she was in the neurological stage. He is supposed to get the serum info to my vet. I am totally drained by this whole ordeal and have not gotten much sleep. I have become attached to this puppy and am hopeful there is something that can be done. She is a fighter and wants to live. If it wasn't for the fact that she cant get up and stand on her own she would appear to be doing a lot better. Any help out there?

Flowjoe64 is offline New Member

Default There is a vet in fort worth Texas who has done dr sears neuro form if Newcastle Tx

VCA Animal hospital in fort worth on Beach st did dr sears treat
    ent on my puppy after it was in neuro form. It's a high risk procedure, but this vet was awesome . We figured the dog would have likely died anyway. E-mail me and I will give u the vets name. Also you can order Newcastle online.

bisbeer is offline New Member

Default shame on you

I don't believe that vitamins are going to cure distemper. Vitamins are vitamins - It is sad that someone would try to con people into believing that a specific brand of vitamins can cure their dog of distemper. I buy my health products from Swansonvitamins -- they are high quality and cheap but they won't cure distemper either. Don't spend your money on false hope. Better yet pray for your pet and perhaps God will work a miracle. I will concede that there are some differences in vitamins -- e.g., natural vitamin E with mixed tocopherols is much better than the dl tocopheryl which is synthetic and Vitamin C chelate is known to be better than ascorbic acid -- Also when speaking of Minerals there are major differences in molecular structure and the body'd ability to absorb them. I would have been more inclined to believe one had found a cure if that person wasn't also offering to sell the cure.

vjaden is offline New Member

What is the name of the vet in Fort Worth that did the procedure? My understanding is Dr Sear's office no longer recommends vets in Texas. Have you heard this from anyone?

icybear78 is offline New Member

Question What cures distemper?

Quote Originally Posted by newhere View Post
    I don't know who said distemper can't be diagnosed, but my dog was officially diagnosed with it, and she did survive without this Newcastle treatment.
    My dog has been diagnosed with distemper and I don't want my dog to die. How did your dog survive distemper?

Thank You!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 12-05-2011 at 02:12 PM.

mlsiow is offline New Member

Default Poor Pooch

My pup of 4 months was diagnosed with distemper a couple of weeks after he returned from the hospital from another infection.

the family is currently going thru much emotional ordeal.. but what's important is to provide your dog with loads of love and vitamins.

yes, some might say that vitamins are a scam etc.. but these 'supplements' are used to build the immune system of the dog.

my vet recommends Vit E, Vit C, Vit B, Omega, and CQ10.

At first, i started with a small dosage of C,B twice a day, and the rest just once a day.

The physical signs of distemper disappeared within days (physical signs include peeling of the nose skin, eye discharge and flu-like symptoms)

That went on for the next 20 days, as he was on antibiotics to treat his secondary bacteria infection on his lungs.

After the 20 days, and appetite reduced significantly. he also moans and groans a lot while he sleeps. At first instance, we thought he was suffering from tooth-aches. (as these pups at around 5 months would have their teeth dropping etc)

Looking closer, I realized his right 'arm' started to twitch. Without further a due.. i rushed him to the vet..

We've to up his vitamin intake to (per day)
    Vit C & B, 6 tablets each
    Vit E and Omega 3, 4 tablets each
    CQ10 2 tablets

his appetite has returned.. (we're so relieved)

but as for now, the tremors on his hand remains there.. and according to the vet, for life.

But, the whining and moaning while he sleeps remains a mystery. While i'm happy that he is on the road to recovery, i'm also saddened that his quality of life might be affected due to his inability to sleep peacefully.

is there anything that we can do?

May Ling
    Malaysia

P/s I would also like to thank my vet for giving us the guidance and for entertaining my 10001 questions.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by mlsiow View Post
    My pup of 4 months was diagnosed with distemper a couple of weeks after he returned from the hospital from another infection.

the family is currently going thru much emotional ordeal.. but what's important is to provide your dog with loads of love and vitamins.

yes, some might say that vitamins are a scam etc.. but these 'supplements' are used to build the immune system of the dog.

my vet recommends Vit E, Vit C, Vit B, Omega, and CQ10.

At first, i started with a small dosage of C,B twice a day, and the rest just once a day.

The physical signs of distemper disappeared within days (physical signs include peeling of the nose skin, eye discharge and flu-like symptoms)

That went on for the next 20 days, as he was on antibiotics to treat his secondary bacteria infection on his lungs.

After the 20 days, and appetite reduced significantly. he also moans and groans a lot while he sleeps. At first instance, we thought he was suffering from tooth-aches. (as these pups at around 5 months would have their teeth dropping etc)

Looking closer, I realized his right 'arm' started to twitch. Without further a due.. i rushed him to the vet..

We've to up his vitamin intake to (per day)
    Vit C & B, 6 tablets each
    Vit E and Omega 3, 4 tablets each
    CQ10 2 tablets

his appetite has returned.. (we're so relieved)

but as for now, the tremors on his hand remains there.. and according to the vet, for life.

But, the whining and moaning while he sleeps remains a mystery. While i'm happy that he is on the road to recovery, i'm also saddened that his quality of life might be affected due to his inability to sleep peacefully.

is there anything that we can do?

May Ling
    Malaysia

P/s I would also like to thank my vet for giving us the guidance and for entertaining my 10001 questions.

I also had a little dog who survived distemper. Not to make you saddened but the longterm effects of survival are not pleasant. That twitch in the leg will develop into a twitching, almost constant biting twitch to where they work their little teeth loose and eventually their teeth start to fall out. I don't recall the spelling for the condition but it's pronounced just like the country Korea.

They start to lose their teeth, then the bottom jaw starts to deteriorate. All this takes some time and you can have a few years of fun with your survivor dog! But this jaw deterioration gets eventually to where they can't hardly eat and that is when it gets down to matter of time. They will not eat as they get into too much pain and can literally starve themselves. It's very sad and I finally had to put down my little dog from the after effects of the distemper rather than the disease itself.

I commend you for sticking it out and seeing your dog through this terrible disease. Most vets just tell you to let them go, but I wouldn't do it either. Eventually I even kept a humidifier going for him where he slept trying to help him with his breathing and tried to feed him baby food off the end of my finger so he wouldn't have to chew. Of course I had him on pain medication too! But the end result of the after effects were as bad as the disease itself. I like dogs better than most people, hate to see them suffer. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 02-17-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

zena3546 is offline New Member

Default Dr Sears in Houston Tx

I believe Dr Sears is still practicing in Houston tx. If he isnt in the office, there are other vets in that office using his cure for distemper. So YES there is a cure. Go to Houston Tx for treatment. I have a good friend that speaks to them often. She had two dogs that had distemper by Dr Sears and they are both cured and ready to be adopted. I know they cannot get spayed/neutered for 1 yr following treatment.
    I have never heard of a vitamin treatment. That sounds a litttle odd but if it works..hey thats great!!

Oh Found some info on the Drs.

Here is a vet in Houston you could go to:

Dr. Mike Huddleston at
    Westheimer Animal Clinic
    (713) 622-1270
    7005 Mapleridge St Bellaire, TX 77401

And another in Austin:

Dr. Liat E. Zilkha
    Phone: (512) 266-7838
    Fax: (512) 266-1522
    1901 RR 620 N,
    Austin, TX 78734

Both vets have saved a good number of dogs with distemper.

Generally, Dr. Huddleston is more affordable. I believe he has the NDV serum, which is more reliable than the NDV IV injection which is what Dr. Zilkha uses.

I can't guarantee what the prices are, but I believe Huddleston
    charges around $100 for the NDV serum treatment and Zilkha charges
    $300 for NDV as an IV injection.

The NDV spinal tap has had about a 50 percent survival rate for dogs with neurologic distemper. This is better odds than doing nothing. Dogs often die in that stage. Either Drs. Zilkha or Huddleston can
    perform that treatment as well. Dr. Huddleston would be more affordable.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-16-2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: added information