Xanax question in use, doseage and effects
    gilb1 is offline New Member

Unhappy Xanax question in use, doseage and effects

I understand Xanax is prescribed for antianxiety issues. Is this something that should be continuously used and in the system to keep the mood/effects uninterrupted? Or can you take it a few days and and be off of it for weeks and then take it again w/o severe or changes in mood or effects? And I've read that you can take it w/ or w/o food.

My brother is prescribed 1MG 3x/day and when he's taken the meds, he is so lethargic and sleeping during conversation it's pathetic. He's had a drug problem in the past but swears he's beyond that now. And for months, I've seen him lucid and 'normal' but just today, he's lethargic and uncoordinated and totally non-coherent. My dad states when he's off the drug and then takes it and when he takes it on an empty stomach, that he's affected in this manner and doesn't seemed concerned- but he, too, has had Rx drug addictions and in denial of many things.

Any insight is welcomed as I don't have any familiar experience w/ this situation. Thanks in advanced.

erinkj is offline Senior Member

Exclamation gilb

Quote Originally Posted by gilb1 View Post
    I understand Xanax is prescribed for antianxiety issues. Is this something that should be continuously used and in the system to keep the mood/effects uninterrupted? Or can you take it a few days and and be off of it for weeks and then take it again w/o severe or changes in mood or effects? And I've read that you can take it w/ or w/o food.

My brother is prescribed 1MG 3x/day and when he's taken the meds, he is so lethargic and sleeping during conversation it's pathetic. He's had a drug problem in the past but swears he's beyond that now. And for months, I've seen him lucid and 'normal' but just today, he's lethargic and uncoordinated and totally non-coherent. My dad states when he's off the drug and then takes it and when he takes it on an empty stomach, that he's affected in this manner and doesn't seemed concerned- but he, too, has had Rx drug addictions and in denial of many things.

Any insight is welcomed as I don't have any familiar experience w/ this situation. Thanks in advanced.
    Xanax as well as all benzodiazepines are addictive. I think your brother is on to high a dose. If he is this lethargic then he needs to take a smaller dose less frequently. Has he ever been prescribed benzo's before? 1mg x 3 per day is a high starting dose. Most common starting doses of xanax are .25 or .5 x 3 per day as needed. taking xanax with or without food shouldnt have any bearing on how he is affected. I was diagnosed with panic disorder 11 years ago and even at my absolute worst, having multiple hyperventilating panic attacks, the maximum xanax I have EVER taken is a total of 2 and a half mg in one day. The highest dose prescribed in extreme panic patients is 5 to 6 mg daily......So, if he does not have severe panic or anxiety problems then there is no reason for him to need that much xanax..He will become dependant on in quickly if he has had past addictions..Hope this helps..Erin

Billangee is offline New Member

Default Zanax is commonly mis-prescribed

Zanax should really not be intended for daily, sheduled dosing. It should just be taken when you FEEL like you need it. Your body builds a tolerence to it pretty fast. If your taking it daily you will find that each week you need to take more and more because its not working. And it does "zone you out more than other drugs.

It is very addictive because of the major sedative feeling. I beleive that if he needs something, Klonopin may be a much better drug. Your body doesn't buid a tolerance nearly as fast, it lasts longer and it still gives the good sedative feeling but doesn't seem to "zone you out" quite as bad as zanax or valium.

robi is offline New Member

Cool Reply to xanax question

I am not a doctor, but I can tell you that I was previously on xanax for a couple of years and have recently stopped taking it. If you take it only a few days, you should be able to handle not taking it for a while, as it takes a little longer to get into your system fully than just a few days. None the less, if it is a drug that you NEED that you are benefiting from for anxiety, it's best that you take it as perscribed and stay consistant. It is a very addictive drug and I promise you will go through changes if you are not consistant with it! If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me @ prettygrneyez34@yahoo.com, I can share some issues and side effects.
    Robi

Quote Originally Posted by gilb1 View Post

robi is offline New Member

Default In re of your brother on xanax

It is very common of people who use drugs to have or develope an addiction to xanax in place of or even shared with other drugs. It is sold on the streets for up to and over $5.00 PER PILL for a bar = 2mg. Even the .5 mg, if taken on an empty stomach can induce a feeling of being "high" or doped up on something. I worked in behavioral health services and am very familiar with several different issues relating to xanax. When I was taking it, I was prescribed 2mg tablets/bars. My doctor instructed me to take them 3 times a day! THAT did NOT work for me, it wipped me out! I began cutting them in half and took only 1mg per day, and occassionally if really stressed out would take the other half (1mg) a few hours later. I have seen so many addicts begin taking xanax in place of a drug as well as have seen it prescribed to help someone get off of drugs. Personally, I think using it in place of a drug to help with anxiety is nothing more than trading cigaretts for chewing tobacco. If your brother is taking it regularly, he STILL has an addiction and should seek counseling, advice, and medical treatment that is less addictive.... just FYI

Quote Originally Posted by robi View Post
    I am not a doctor, but I can tell you that I was previously on xanax for a couple of years and have recently stopped taking it. If you take it only a few days, you should be able to handle not taking it for a while, as it takes a little longer to get into your system fully than just a few days. None the less, if it is a drug that you NEED that you are benefiting from for anxiety, it's best that you take it as perscribed and stay consistant. It is a very addictive drug and I promise you will go through changes if you are not consistant with it! If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me @ prettygrneyez34@yahoo.com, I can share some issues and side effects.
    Robi