red flagged and Dea
    lriffs is offline New Member

Default red flagged and Dea

went to take my son for his ADD check up,we both have this,to be honest I had a bad xanax problem,and was already seeking treatment for this,I had gotten very tired of all pills,and flushed everything,including his meds,as I did not want any temptation,he never took them regulary anyway,well this new Dr.said he knows I had seen many Dr.'s,which is only 5 in one year,2 switches due to Ins. changed,and was having me red flagged,and contacting DEA,plus Child protective services,and police,they did urine screen on son,and said I was going to be charged with fraud,as I could not produce his meds or mine,I never would have carried our meds around anyway,I was very honest and told him I was in treatment,I never aboused his meds,I am a good mom,who let a pill control her life,and seen this happening,and sought help,what will happen?Will they arrest me for Dr. shopping?I contacted a lawyer and he said the investigation from DEA takes 2 weeks,I have to sit and wait for police for another week,also will they take children away,I am terrified,I did not enter treatment after this was found out,did before,thanks

Jessika is offline Member

Is this New Doc His Doc or You doc or both, because if it is your sons Doc I dont see how he could red flag you if you are not his parient? I mean how did He know about the other Docs, I was kinda in the situation a while ago but I got it all straighted out, the way I understand all of this is you would have to go to many Docs for the same reason and get the same meds and get them filled. Did the other Docs give you medicine for you condition??

Jessi

I had been to him once before,but not for this med,I have always had the same Dr. fas my children,.I did got to different Dr.'s during my disease,I admit that,but did not involve my sons meds,only for the xanax which I was badly addicted to,know I go to a therapist,and am doing intense treatment,but we were new to him,how did he find this out,and did he contact the DEA,or vice versa,I am terrified of jail and losing my children,thanks

Your doc can do a check on you, Just like if you go to a er in my state If the reson you are there is Pain related they can look on a computer and see all the Scripts you have had. As far as taken your kids away I really dont know, Maybe if they see you as a un fit parent.Does they doc think you were taking your sone meds?

Jessi

I do not take his meds,I get the same and never filled ours ealry or at all half the time,thoses were not my problem,not sure what they meant,can you got to jail for this thing?

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Going to jail or not, depends on whether you were using some type of fraud to obtain your Xanax prescriptions. And as to the doc being able to check on you, like Jessika said, well that is in ALL states, it is a database set up by the DEA to flag doctor hoppers, pharmacy hoppers and drug abusers.

Xanax is a controlled substance, so yes, they can pursue you for that, even though you never did it with the other meds. And yes, 5 doctor switches in one year is suspicious behavior, if you had only switched due to the insurance reasons, they could easily see that and it would not be an issue, but see, you have those 3 other switches on there which is suspicious behavior.

Now as to producing the meds right there, no, that is not fraud. Fraud is when you go into a docs office and misrepresent yourself to get more meds, and then lying at the pharmacies or trying to alter the scrips to get more of the med you to which you are addicted. Not having all the meds on you, if you weren't alerted ahead of time that you had to bring them with you, is not fraud.

As to the DEA, well what they will do really depends on your behavior and what you did to get your Xanax fix. He can report you, and their first check will start with that pharmaceutical database that all states now have just for this type of issue. They will punch your name in to see if you were getting more of any meds than you were supposed to, if you had a months worth of Xanax filled at Pharmacy X, then two weeks later you saw another doctor and got another months worth of the same thing that you went and had filled at Pharmacy Z.

So even though you didn't do it with other meds, or your sons meds, it you did it with Xanax that is enough to flag you and cause legal hassles. However, if you are already pursuing treatment and have stopped such behavior that will go a long way towards your favor.

No, unless you are neglecting or abusing your kids, you do not lose them over a problem like this as long as you are pursuing treatment. You will not be the first, not the last parent to develop a prescription drug problem.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Just curious Zippy, can Doctors in In regular Doctor office access that Info to see If you are Drug seeking or whatever. I didnt know if that were Just ER's..
    And like Pharmacys If you Pay out of Pocket do they know if you are Pharmacy Hopping? Because with insurance I know they would know. After this Post A friend and me were talking and she asked me that And I told her I really didnt know.

Jessi

so IRIFFS Have you found anything out about this yet?

Jessi

sweetchikk05 is offline Banned

Find out anything yet??

Man must be scary for you, I know when cps threatened to take my kids from me...that was the main reason I stayed in treatment, I havent used since april9th due to the fact that for one I want to quit for myslef and also they told me if I have a dirty urine the will make me move out of my bf's house and they will give him full custody and I wont be alowed to see my children, its either that or they would pull them and put them in foster care, so I know how you must be feeling its so scary, the only thing I can tell you is pray, start doing the right things, hopefully you learned your lesson and from now on you will do whatever it takes to keep your son

Godd luck to you
    Liz ann

Yes the Dr.did call CSB,and they came out,she said by law he had to,SHe is just making me do a UA,which is fine,I have been clean for almost 2 weeks,if it shows,I was honest with her,not sure how long it stays in you.,also I told her,I was already in treatment,she said if they do come to arrest me,which she has heard it has been done here,it will look better,I really do want help,I hate that person on that pill,more than anyone here could ever hate,I am really aniexty right now,and barley move in my own skin,husband is still going to al-anon,which he has been doing for over 3 months,just was too out there to notice,he is giving me alot of tough love right now,which I deserve,I have put alot of hate in his heart,I pray will go away some day,and be replaced with love,but I know I have to get well,and right now it feels like a minute at a time,it stinks how those little pills can control so much,I pray with the grace of God and caring people like you,that it gets easier every day
    thanks to all

dizzy23 is offline Senior Member

quote:can Doctors in In regular Doctor office access that Info to see If you are Drug seeking or whatever. I didnt know if that were Just ER's..
    Yes they can!

Debbie

Try to be correct!But not always successful!

Taken it a day at a time.

You know what, my boyfriend of 5 years whom I have 3 children with gave me tough love a swell and it killed me, It hurts but its because they love you, just get clean and things will get better between the 2 of you, I have been clean since april 9th and when my ol man found out I was using I was lucky he didnt leave me and guess what he proposed to me 2 days ago, your hubby loves you and thats why hes being tough on you but its for the better, its more of a reason for you to quit, you need to earn his respect back and you will over time, just be strong and keep your head up hunny, I have been there. I know when people told me that things would get better I thought to myself ha ha ha yeh right what do you know??

well I am telling you from experiance, things will get better in time, when you get frustrated repeat the serenity prayer to yourself thats what I did and still do, it really does help

" God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference, Just for today!!"

trust me I repeat it some times 10 times in a row, I had to do that sunday when I was near a dope dealer, do you know how hard it was for me to walk away??

good luck to you

Liz ann

Thanks so much,I do know I have to earn it all back again,I feel I have done this again,and again,and again,I have never done it with the help of any type of program,treatment,all on my own before,and I quess I learned this time,the drugs and alchol are much stronger than me,I used to drink really bad,and then I found out xanax does not smell like booze,and you got the same effect,not on purpose,but in my sick head I am sure it was all coming to that,my head is very sick,and I cannot beleive the things I have done,I blacked out on pills just like booze,and I hate hearing of the things I have done,I try not to think to much,hubby does love me,but not in love with me I think,I think he does out of obligation,who knows,not for me to try to figure out,we all know what happens when we try to fix or figure something out,so I leave it be,I cannot start this treatment until aug.1st,and I am so terrified of the world right now,cannot hardly move around in my own house,that these boards are keeping me going,instead of white knuckling it so badly,I feel the benzo's are coming out more and more been almost 2 weeks,but my body hurts so badly just to move,gosh what we do to ourselves when using,and the hard price we pay,no wonder most normal people look at us in digust,I cannot figure it out,but thanks again,for sweet and kind words,I need them,and they are very far and between here at home,but I do deserve it here,
    God Bless to all and thanks
    P.s.
    HUGE CONGRATS ON THE PROPOSAL,
    I also have 3 beautiful children with hubby,I know you probaly have been waiting a long time for this,and he has too,keep us updated

As Dizzy said, yep, the docs can access that information, too. They have full access to the DEA database, so they can keep track of problem patients and get the reports on things, just like the ERs and Pharmacists. A doctor that doesn't use the database and doesn't want a log in for it, cannot prescribe any schedule I or II drugs anymore.

All docs offices now, have to keep a record of all schedule I or II drug prescriptions that they write, some use duplicate prescription pads, and some states make them send them all into the DEA at the end of a certain time period, some docs offices just make sure to note what was written and for how on a seperate file sheet, and some xerox all scrips like that they write so they keep a copy in case the DEA needs to see it.

But yes, even paying cash, not using insurance, your name had to be on that scrip and in the pharmacy computer for you to go get that fill and all pharmacy computers are now hooked directly into the DEA databases, even the little mom&pop pharmacies. They do not all run an immediate check though, which is why you can get away with pharmacy hopping, especially the big and very busy pharmacies. They do not have the time to shut down in the middle of the day, and let their computer run an update to the DEA, they do it at night after closing with an automated system, so your name didn't get in there and make a connect until you were long gone with the meds.

If it shows up that it happened, say twice, they might figure well, it is possible that your husband or SO was in the pharmacy for something and found you had a scrip waiting, and you, at a different pharmacy, didn't know he already picked one up, so you might have picked up one at a different pharmacy where you expected it to be. These things do happen sometimes, so in that case they just watch, if you are using as normal, that means you got about 2 months worth, so if you don't pick up anymore for awhile, until two months has gone by, they will let it go, and figure you are an honest person, not abusing meds, who just made a mistake. But then if another pops up, from a different pharmacy right away, well, then the suspicion has been aroused.

The flagging of this type of behavior is done automatically, the docs, pharmacy, and ERs don't even have to do it. All they do is put your name in and your scrip info, as required now by federal law from the DEA and FDA. The computer runs the check as their computers do their daily reports and it compiles a database of any names associated with suspicious activity and a report on what that activity is, drug type, frequency of prescription fills, and etc. So you don't need to be using insurance at all, it doesn't matter what you means you use to pay, they have to put everyone, and all scrips in the computer, period.

The computer program continues checking, since it is possible for someone to share the same name as someone else, that is they the pharmacies log your address, phone number, DOB, and etc. So the computer can cull out those that have the same name, but aren't really the same person. Another check will run the prescription info, perhaps you called your doc because your current dosage wasn't doing the job, and they had to up it, but since you already had that scrip filled, they just added another pill for the duration of the days you had left on that scrip to bring you up to a new dosage, or you had a reaction and your doc told you to stop using something like Vicodin and swith to Vicoprofen, there is an override your pharmacist must code into the system in these cases that lets you get that new scrip, so if all that matches, then the computer kicks those names off the list as well.

Once all these little checks are done, they have a final list, updated daily, of people who have been undertaking suspicious behavior. They have people whose only job is to sit there, look over these lists, and contact the relevant doctors offices and pharmacies, and double check the information, so they can make sure they pull out any that were missed with the fail safes, that don't belong on there. Then they are left with a list that requires further investigation.

This type of program is also why, if you tick off your mother-in-law, and she decides she wants to make trouble for you, so she tries to call the cops, or DEA and report that you are abusing drugs, and you know you definitely weren't, you will not have to worry about them calling your doctor, pharmacy, local ER, or showing up at your door, because no matter what she says, they can very, very easily check the real facts of your pharmaceutical usage.

So yes, even if you did it on seperate days, or you got away with doing it on the same day, it will eventually show up in their computer that you did it, no matter how you paid for the scrips in question. You went to pharmacy A and got a scrip, perhaps that one under your usual insurance, then you discovered the other you had waiting at pharmacy B, so you got that one and paid cash because you knew your insurance wouldn't cover another so soon and you didn't want the fact that you had just got one to pop up in their computer, then you found a fill at Pharmacy C, so you got that one with cash as well, this all will eventually, in a few days MAX time, pop up on their computer.

Then, these reports of people behaving suspiciously, are seperated by immediate residence region, and fed back to the relevant computers in your area, so not just to your main pharmacy or doctors office, but to all of them within a certain radius of where you live. All the ERs, pharmacies, and docs offices will have your name on their screen saying the such and such is under investigation for suspicious behavior, and if you see so and so in your office, or trying to obtain a scrip, please file an immediate report, which they can do with the press of one button in their computer system.

So your doc, really didn't even have to run a check of his own, it was already done for him, all he had to do was look at the list that prints out every morning from that database, and in his hands, he had all the necessary info to know what you had been up to. Oh, and you can forget privacy rights when it comes to this stuff, see it is considered, for these types of things, that by getting that prescription filled, any type of prescription, that you have given the DEA, FDA, Law Enforcement, and the medical community, the right to check this behavior and act on it as needed.

You know how they made those new privacy laws and all the pharmacies have to give you a copy of the info the first time you were there after the law had passed, in that mile of fine print, you will see references to them retaining your privacy, except as required by law for disclosure. Your using of any pharmacy is considered tacit legal agreement to these conditions.

This is one of the reasons that you are not required to always use the same pharmacy to get something filled. When I got to my docs office for my monthly pain scrips, I can go to any pharmacy I feel like and get them filled, and I do not have to worry about it flagging me for suspicious behavior, because it will easily show up, that I only got them filled once at one pharmacy, even if it is one that I have never used before.

It is a sad, but true fact, that far too many people forget how small of a world computers have now made it.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Thanks for the Info Zippy, it is crazy how all of this works right now, When I went to the Doc yesterday I asked him about it and he told me alot of the same things you did. But like he said once you are flagged you are always flagged, except in my case there was a Big error, but unless it is an error or just a screw up then I guess your flagged for a long long time. I amazes me the length people go to to get these meds. People like that is why People In true pain have such a hard time getting the Medicine and treatment they need

Jessi

I did not fill 2 xanax's I filled one ativan and one xanax,which I quess he said was both the same,I got a letter from the Dr. today,saying he could no longer see me or my family,beleive me when I say,I never want to to see another for a long,time,I am so scared,of them knocking on my door,I am more afriad of my kids seeing me being arrested,I have never been in trouble before,and I am so sick of the things the pills did to my life,I hate them really bad right now,and I know there will be a day I do not,and thats why I entered treatment,first time for treatment,and I am just trying to understand life sober,please do not think I was a bad Mom,doing pills all the time,I was not,I think I just thought I had it under control,and it took something like this to scare me,only I sensed a problem before I went,and stopped on my own,cold turkey,which I would not advise to anyone,thanks for your comments,as I do appreciate them,take care

Jessika, that is where I learned most of this, I asked my doc tons of questions about it, that way, if someone, like in this instance, asked about it, I would know how it worked so I could explain it. She is always happy to answer my questions and fill me in on stuff to help with my research and work, she even shows me some of the printed guidelines they have to follow for stuff, the laws and etc. It is nice to have a doc that is such a reliable resource.

Yes, an error, they will straighten out, and they will remove your name so you aren't being scrutinized all the time anymore.

And as to the Xanax and Ativan, those are both Benzos, highly regulated, so that is what did it, they are essentially and for all intents and purposes, treated just like you got two scrips for the same thing.

You addiction, if you did not let it effect or interfere with your kids lives, has nothing to do with your mothering. So as long as you weren't letting your kids go without essentials to feed your habit, then you are fine mother, as long as you always put them first. You stopped yourself and got help before you got out of control and that is the important thing here. Your seeking treatment, before you were caught and called on the carpet about your behavior, will also go a long way in how this all turns out in the end.

abey042000 is offline Member

Iriffs~

I have been following your story. I dont have time this very minute, but just to let you know incase u check back in, I will be replying to your situation in a little bit in more detail. I also have question for you and thoughts regarding your situation, and maybe we can help each other. Talk with you soon. Do u mind emails? Stay strong woman!

Abey
    Emails are fine,
    Thanks to all
    Take care

Just because You have an addiction does Not by any means make you a bad person or a bad mother.
    My mom drank my whole Life and I mean drank alot she was hooked, but never ever once was I ever mistreated never once did she not take care of me She always had the clothes done Dinner cooked, She always drank at home she never went out like to bars or anything. SHe was the best.
    then about 3 yrs ago it got the best of her, she got really really sick Got liver failure and Died when I was 22, and that is the time a daughter needs her mother, I had Just had a baby I had no idea what to do with him.lol.
    So after that I just had to do it, I have no help no baby sitter and no mother to run to for advice, so if you have any type of addiction I suggest you just stop now because it will eventuly kill you and your kids need you around. I have never touched a drink since my mom passed and my husband hasnt either,
    I know drinking is really not the same as taking pills But I feel addiction is addiction not matter what it is.

Jessi

and you are right Jessi addiction is addiction no matter what it is,
    Its unfortunate to hear about you mom, see my mother is alive but shes a mental case so shes no help, I will be 23 on tuesday and I have 3 children I feel for you , I know what its like to have no sitter, no help no run to run to to ask those silly questions..
    well I am here for you if you ever have a silly mom question that you need to ask, I have 3 kids so I know a lot but we could be there for each other since we have no one...how does that sound?

Liz ann

texassweetpea is offline New Member

I came very very close to being red-flagged with my lortab rxs. It started out very innocently with my doctor calling in my lortab rx to walgreens with 4 refills. At the same time the nurse at his office okayed 4 refills at a mom and pop pharmacy where i regularly go. I got a call from walgreens 16 days later telling me I had a rx to pick up. See my insurance would refill after 16 days (20 day supply). So I just went back and forth between the 2 pharmacies every 16 days. After a couple of months, I decided I was gonna get all my rxs filled at CVS since they had the cheapest price on my diet pills which I have to pay cash for. My doctor (the same doctor) called in another rx for lortab with 4 refills at CVS. I didnt want my rx to expire at the mom and pop place so I called them to get a refill. I had lost track of days and called a couple of days early. My regular pharmacist called my insurance company and they told him about me going to Walgreens and CVS. When I showed up to pick up the rx, he came to talk to me and lectured me about going to different pharmacies and picking them up too early (he said 4 days was too early). I think it looked worse than it really was. But it scared me enuff to make me stop taking the lortab. I moved all my rxs to CVS and havent had a problem since. I take trileptal, seroquel, effexor XR, visteril, adderall, phentermine, levoxyl and clonodine. That mom and pop place lost my business!!

Dana in Texas

vincentlee1 is offline New Member

I see a pain specialist and my regular doctor which refered me to the pain dr.Well I know I go to 3 different pharmacies with my two pain scripts any my valiums. I go to neibhor care to get my percocets because they carry the roxicet brand I like to go k marts to get my oxycontin because they carry the purdue brand ones. I go to the regular corner drug store to get my valiums because they give me the blue ones and not those orange one. I get 60 5-325 percocets and 60 80 mg oxycontin each month. I take the oxy every 12 hours and take the pers in between. My doctor is a pain specialist and he's the one that told me to go around to different pharmacies to make sure that I get the brand that helps@me best. And another thing the pharmacy does call your doctor if you get a schudule 1 or 2 narcotic or even if you get a a new script. When I was put on oxy last month they called my dr to comfirm it and I been going to that pharmacy for 10 years. Plus in maryland you can not get refills on any narcotics but you can on benzo like valiums, zanax or clonodines. My dr had to call my insurane company too to get a pre authorization for the oxycontin because a lot of people are abusing oxy and plus they cosy about 800 for 60 pills.