Prednisone and Neuropathy
    jamasury is offline New Member

Default Prednisone and Neuropathy

I've developed severe and chronic nerve pain in every part of my body progressively over the past 10 months...one week after taking prednisone for 4 weeks after a severe bout of poison ivy, oak and sumac last September 2004. I took the prednisone for 2 weeks and stopped suddenly. Then when I experienced nerve pain 1 week later, took it again for 1 week and decreased it the fourth week. Then I was fine for 1 week until it started again.Could the prednisone or the poison ivy have caused the nerve pain? Is there a way to test for the connection? No neurologist offers any explanation for my pain nor will confirm the connection. No nerve pain such as Elavil, Cymbalta, Neurontin etc... helps to relieve the pain.If Prenisone could be the cause what can I do to prove or cure it? Any ideas???

podsur is offline New Member

Default hi

i am so glad to read your post and i hope your around to answer. my brother went through the very same thing with poison ivy etc and he doc gave him prednisone. his rash was on his tesciles and it was really bad. now he not only has neuropathy he also has diabetes II. i truly hope your better and all is well. it will give my brother hope at present he has it in his feet and hands and is walking 20 minutes a day to keep his circulation up in his feet. but he walks like a very old person. at present he is burning more calories than he can eat in order to keep active. he is 6 2 and wieghs 182. he was 240lb.s

pat

dgfnva is offline New Member

Default Prednisone and Neuropathy

I am quite interested in your current status. I too had a similar experience while taking prednisone. The event occurred about a year ago and while the pain is diminishing, it has been a long year of frustration. When I asked the doc about a potential tied between predisone and PN, he said there is none. I feel differently, just too many coincidences. Thanks for any updates

purpledog is offline Banned

Cool

i take prednisone intermittently (it says so on my medic alert bracelet) when my asthma gets out of hand. and it is also used for allergic reactions, which sounds like the poison ivy reaction. as far as i know it doesnt cause any pain, and im not a doctor but i guess i just wanted to tell you that.
    all i know, is when my asthma is really really bad, thats about all that sorts me out.
    purpledog

diana001 is offline New Member

Hi interested in your reaction to prednisone. Have been given this drug for 7 weeks june-august this year. Also reacted with nerve pain in arms and legs, cold hands/feet, shivers. Doctor said hypersensitized the nerves, rare reaction,. very difficult. You said it is getting better what did you do to come right, did you take anything to help it, naturally? Am very worried, and desperate. Medical not much help. Was on for bowel condition, 40 mg went down over 7 weeks period. Please can you post back, as nobody else I know has had a reaction like this to prednisone.
    Last edited by diana001; 11-09-2009 at 12:16 AM.

dgfnva is offline New Member

Sorry...I can't be of much help. it has been a year now; $50k+ in blood tests, spinal taps, and MRIs have produced no (as in nothing at all) indication of what brought this on. The doc stands by his assessment that Prednisone had nothing to do with it. The pain has lessened from a 7/8 to 3/4 over time without treatment and now heading into treatment (nerve block) to try to get in down to even more. You may want to check out http://www.neuropathy.org, it does has some good resource information. Hang in there --