20mg of Suboxone a day?
    tiredone is offline New Member

Default 20mg of Suboxone a day?

My husbands dr. is prescribing him 20 mg. of suboxone a day.

Last month he ran out about 8 days early (he said due to a hand injury that was causing him a lot of pain), so the doc gave him 20 more 8mg tabs to make it through until the end of the month.

So far what I have read, 16 mg. is the highest recommended dose.

He has seen this dr. for approx. 10 yrs. and this doc has given him any pain meds he has wanted, and lots of it. What is the highest does anyone here is taking?? I am concerned this is an ethics issue.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Suboxone (buprenorphene,naloxone) is a partial antagonist opiate. Talwin is a partial antagonist opiate and is not favored by addicts because it has a ceiling effect.Once you get to a certain point it won't matter how much more you take because it's at it's peak already.
    If he's taking the suboxone for addiction then really 20mgs is probably not the best dose for him to be on.Everyone is different but most people take between 8-12mgs a day.Usually 8mgs in the am and the other 4 in the pm.
    If he's trying to get high off it then he's wasting his time because of the ceiling effect.If he tries to snort it the naloxone in it will cause precipatated withdrawls which no one wants to go through.
    If he's functioning normally at 20mgs then that's fine but I would bet he could come down a bit.Suboxone is very expensive so the less you need the better especially if it's paid for by insurance........Good luck....Dave

submom is offline Member

Default starting dose 16 mgs

To answer your question my dr. started me at 16mgs. He did mention that some of his patients are on 24 mgs. I dont believe your husband is in a overdose situation but it appears as though he is using it for reasons other than a tool to get off his DOC. Suboxone does not do much to controll pain. When he says he took more due to an injury that confuses me...something like neurontin or even motrin would be more effective for that. My Dr. gave me Tordal (not to be take longer than 5 days due to it can cause renal failure) for a painful procedure i had done last month. I believe your husband taking that much suboxone is more addict behavior. How many times a day does he dose? with suboxone it is good to take only once perhaps twice a day. Us addicts will dose ourselfs all day long if left to our own accord.
    so my questions for you are
    why is he on suboxone?
    for how long?
    if it is to get off his DOC (drug of choice) what was his DOC??

YOu are lucky to have found this board....there is a wealth of knowledge here.
    keep posting...we are here..along with many others.

ps I am on my 3rd bottle of 8mgs suboxone...i am now taking 2mgs...your man can taper down....and i am more than willing to share how i tapered with you should you like.

Default Suboxone used for pain.....

I was on Suboxone for about a year when I was scheduled to have major dental work done. (And I am a BIG baby!) In discussing it with my prescribing doctor, he suggested that at the times of pain thru dental work, take more than my normal dose of Sub for that day, right before the pain came on too badly. For me, it worked. Suboxone IS a painkiller.

The only time I took more than the recommended dosage, the results were horrible. Flu like symptoms, dizziness, tired, sick......

I suppose everyone is different..... I just doubt that your husband can truly "abuse" suboxone without feeling negative effects.... I could be wrong though.

Amazing to me that the doctor who helped him become addicted to painkillers is the same doctor prescribing a "cure" so to speak.

Good luck!

Email me anytime if you have any questions!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 08-06-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    Janice
    I shall remain grateful for Suboxone...........

scalz420 is offline New Member

Default Less is more

When i went to my doctor i was prescribed to take 2.5 suboxone strips a day.. I said "yeah doc that sounds good" I am a 21 year old that weighs 135lbs.. there is no way im going to take two and a half strips (24mg a day) at first i started using 1 strip a day and felt somewhat alright, then i kept increasing my dose thinking i would feel better.. Boy was i wrong.. Im pretty sure the doctors are trying to keep it a secret from us that 1-2 mg gets you high off your A**, and i am not joking about this. The less you take.. the better (and higher) your feel. I currently take 1.25-1.75mg a day to achieve a 6+ hour buzz.. Anywhere above that i do not get any sort of euphoria. I know you do not believe me as a i write this, but it is best that your husband stops taking sub for 2 days to let the excess suboxone drain out of his ears, then GIVE HIM 1.5- 1.75mg (micro sized amount) and he will be high as a kite for the first time being on sub, and not only that but your health suffers way less. This is NOT a joke, and i would not take my time to register on this stupid website if it was

Akshunhiro is offline New Member

I used 650mg of codeine every day for 5 years. My doctor's started me on 4mg Suboxone/day and then we increased until I felt comfortable. I ended up on 24mg/day for about 7 years. Nothing bad ever happened to me in that time period, except that the 2mg strips seemed to give me ulcers as an allergic reaction. Now, I have spent 3 months tapering down to 4mg. And it has been easier than i thought it would be. I have chronic pain problems and Suboxone caused some issues in my pain management but we are solving that now. Best thing is to treat pain problems and potential addiction problems as two separate issues, with coordinated treatments so that no one drug interferes with the potency of another. I wish I had done that from the start instead of self medicating into a huge problem with codeine. I was afraid that doctors would not take my pain problems seriously and would label me as an addict seeking opiate meds. Stupid me. I ended up turning into the very thing I was afraid they would judge me for. However, after I presented the truth to my doctors and genuinely sought help, they were more than happy to help me with both my problems (chronic pain & addiction). For anyone with chronic pain, addiction is a danger, perhaps even an inevitability if opiate meds are the only course of treatment. All I know is that chronic pain changes the rules. If it gets rid of your pain so you aren't tortured anymore, then addiction is a price a lot of sufferers would be willing to pay.

Comeback Kid is offline Advanced Member

Hi Akshunhiro,

Welcome to a great community for support with prescription drug addictions. Head over to the http://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone-treatment/ forum and you will find more on suboxone. If you are looking to get off subs, there is a taper plan there and plenty of knowledgeable people to help. Good luck.
    Hi my name is Adam, i'm an addict
    "Do you have another day 1 in you?"
    “If I can't win what sense does it make to fight?”
    Do tomorrow what you did today, you get tomorrow what you got today
    Clean as of 05.30.2014 (4:00pm CST)

Summygirl is online now Member

Hi, and welcome. Without reading too much into your post, a couple of things stood out. Number one, without your husband's complete history, i think maybe his long time doctor may be tying to help hubby. Perhaps the doctor is noticing hubby's addictive behaviors and may be trying the Suboxone to get him off of and away from the pain killers? Please please don't take offence when i say hubby's addictive behavior. I definitely feel like 20 mgs may be a little much, but I'm no doctor. Hope this helps. Two sides to every coin. Take care and keep posting, you've found a great bunch of folks and many knowledgeable one's at that. Take care.

Comeback Kid is offline Advanced Member

It's a 7 year old post summy I was just replying to that post from today.
    Hi my name is Adam, i'm an addict
    "Do you have another day 1 in you?"
    “If I can't win what sense does it make to fight?”
    Do tomorrow what you did today, you get tomorrow what you got today
    Clean as of 05.30.2014 (4:00pm CST)

Summygirl is online now Member

Wow. Lol. How did i miss that one? Ooops. Such is life.