Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
weight gain and lexapro
    littlebit-627 is offline New Member

Default weight gain and lexapro

I was researching on the internet and by sheer luck I stumbled onto this website. I read some threads on lexapro and weight gain and FINALLY I feel validated.

I've been on lex about a year. At first I started out 5mg every other day and worked myself up to 10mg every other day. I went thru a sort of depression a few months ago (due to weight gain and unable to lose lose the weight) and increased my dose to 10mg per day for about the last month.

Since I've been on the lex I've gained about ten pounds. I'm very weight concious and have been a daily exerciser for years. Weight training and cardio.

Like so meny other people that I read about, as hard as they try, no weight comes off. I eat healthy. Vegies, oatmeal, protein. No fast food and junk most of the time. Took my calories down to 800 hundred a day, exercised every day, did so well but the scale never moved. So so so discouraging. I have anxiety and panic attacks cuz I can't take off the weight no matter how hard I try. It's almost funny, it seems to be the one of the biggest reasons I need the lexapro.

I haven't taken the lexapro for two days now. As a last guess that the lex was causing the problem. A fter reading all the threads today, I dumped the rest in the trash. Decided to not speak with the doctor. I told him in the very beginning that I wouldn't stay on the stuff if it made me gain weight. Like one other lady who wrote in, he said to me that maybe if I put on a few pounds, that would be good for me. The lexapro might make me feel like I could let myself do that. I was at the time, slightly underweight.

The cravings and increased apetite drive me crazy. Make me feel like I've lost all control. Like I said, that creates more anxiety then ever.

But, all this new validation has given me hope and tomarrow is a new day. Side affects so far. Maybe a little less patience. Crabby sometimes. Mostly with myself and lack of self control over the food. I've always had night sweats. Never realized it was a side affect. No headaches yet, but tomarrow back to work, so we'll see...........

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get your metabolism back into wack??? I'd sure appreciate anyone out there giving me some advice, maybe even a buddy to keep in touch with as I try to work all this out and get back to my regular size. Thanks!

aliciamsw is offline New Member

unfortunately, that is one of the long term side effects that i have found with lex as well. the new ssris, one being lexapro, touted that they did not make you gain as much weight however even a little bit of weight on a weight conscious female such as myself can suck.
    i started on 5 then 10 then all of the way up to 30 mg of lex in the course of one year. i noticed the weight come on very slowly however as i initially lost weight due to being so sick from the side effects.
    its funny because since it came on so gradually, i only notice when i look at my weights in the long term and look at old vs. new pics.
    there are other factors in weight gain including age, diet, etc. but i am also a healthy eater, vegetarian, and get plenty of exercise. the main thing is that lexapro seems to cause the carb cravings that get you into trouble (meaning i could eat entire pizzas, huge burritos, and put away ALOT more food than i used to). also, exercise didnt seem to make anything budge but only kept my weight somewhat at bay.
    the bottom line is weighing (no pun intended) the pros vs. the cons. the weight gain i got from lexapro was minimal compared to what it did for my GAD and depression. if you are careful about what you eat, continue to exercise, you can minimize how much weight you gain but unfortunately for me at least, the weight gain never stopped and i never went back to my previous size. it was more of a gradual gain that leveled off at about 2 years (a total weight gain of about 20 lbs over 3 years or from a size 9/10 to a 12/14).
    if this sounds like too much for you, you may want to consider another type of antidepressant (not paxil since that is well known to cause weight gain). i am now switching to zoloft (my doc and i decided to try a new approach to my depression) which supposedly helps you lose weight. i have also tried wellbutrin in the past which actually reduced my appetite like crazy ( i think they've even used it for weight loss in the past) but the dizziness was too much. there are also tricyclic antidepressants, MAOI's, atypicals like Trazodone and Remeron however the weight gain from these as opposed to SSRI's is supposed to be crazy (a friend of mine gained 65 lbs on Remeron).
    its definitely something to think about however i would much rather be a lil chunkier than depressed and anxious how i was. take care.
    Last edited by aliciamsw; 04-09-2007 at 03:48 PM.

littlebit-627 is offline New Member

Default weight gain and lexapro

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess if I wasn't so overweight years ago, I might handle it different. After the birth of my second child, I was able to go from 230 pounds to 100 pounds. I vowed never to put it back on again. I've had it off now for almost 16 years. two years ago I had a tummy tuck done to get rid of all the excess skin around my middle. Execise did nothing to help. Now, the anxiety of putting the weight back on is overwhelming, doesn't matter that I was on the lexapro, it stresses me out. Yup, total carb cravings. I'm just not use to being so out of control. And just like I read in other threads, it never seemed to matter what I ate or how meny times I hit the gym. I felt so let-down with myself. Anyway, i spoke with the girls at work and they suggested I try something else for the anxiety and I might, after I get all the lex out of my system and my metabolism back into wack.

Anyone out there who can give me advice on how long it will take to get my metabolism back or anything I can take to pick it up a bit???

drugbuster is offline Banned

Default Losing the weight gain

Generally it seems to take about 6 weeks after you stop taking the drug to start losing weight.

One of my friends switched her Paxil to Cymbalta and then quit that after I showed her a few things about these drugs. She then tried Empowerplus from www.truehope.com and claims she has far more energy while taking it than she did while on the drugs.

Tim
    prozackills2002@yahoo.ca

Lexyrenell is offline New Member

I just started taking Lexapro, It already seems to help me with my moods, I was such a hateful person before, every little thing irritated me. and then I started getting panic attacks from out of no where, so now I'm on lexapro 20 and zanax 3x a day .05 i feel gret, but cant seem to sit still is this normal? also I do not wanna gain any weight, I just quit smoking in Jan and gained 10 lbs. so far.

Lexyrenell is offline New Member

any one out there?

LisaShmu is offline New Member

Hi...
    I have been on a few different kind of antidepressants in the last 6 years and have definitely gained about 30 lbs since then. The upsetting part is this. I gained 15 of it in the last few months since being on Lexapro.
    No doubt these meds saved me from depression and anxiety, but I am really over the side effects and really want to come off it. I don't think that I will lose the weight otherwise. But I am also so afraid of going back to that dark place I once was - when I couldn't go out for dinner or take the subway.

Draginon is offline New Member

i loved lexapro...it did great with the depression and anxiety.But i did gain almost 30 pounds and also if i didnt take it the same time everyday i could definitly telll,>> start feeling all numb and tingly.I hated that.So iwent back to zoloft.Seems like lexapro does help more with the anxiety.So i take xanax for that.
    Draginon ~Starting over...It's all just drag-in-on tho!~ `

nicklepic is offline New Member

Default I totally sympathize-and want the same answer

Littlebit,
    I too was about 100 pounds (I know it was a little bit underweight), but after6 weeks on lexapro I put on almost 20 pounds. I could NOT stand it or handle it. I was hungry all the time and like someone said, could eat entire pizzas, bags of chips, everything. Now I've lost a little of the weight, but my stomach gets bloated the minute I eat anything and I'm battling to lose the weight that used to stay off very easily for me. I'd love the 6 week time frame to be right to when my body goes back to normal. I'd much rather have to eat more to keep weight on than to have to watch everything I put in my mouth. It is frustrating and I'm angry that I am even in this position to begin with. SO not worth it!!!
    I'll keep you posted and you let me know how it's going for you also. I'll be your buddy! I'm doing weight watchers in the meantime to keep trying to get the weight off. I'm at 116 now which isn't too bad, but before the lexapro it was much much easier for me to eat and keep weight off. Now I feel my metabolism has been forever changed. I hope not!
    Nicole

qtrhorse96 is offline New Member

Default Same problems

I too have been on Lexapro for anxiety and gained weight. I have only been on 5 mg/day for 6 months, but after reading these posts have decided to quit taking it. I have read all the withdrawal symptoms and am prepared for them as long as I lose the weight.

All the weight I have gained is in my stomach and "love handle" areas. I actually thought I was pregnant my stomach is so bloated looking. My arms and legs are still as skinny as before.

Has anyone else gained weight in these areas? If so, what did you do to take it off and how long did it take?

I wish I would have read this before bathing suit season!

MeJenna7 is offline New Member

Smile Weight Gain Depressing!

I just got to this site by searching for a possible new antidpressant (I suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, and depression), that would NOT cause weight gain. I've tried other meds. On Paxil I gained 20 lbs very quickly. I tried Effexor and felt instantly horrible. Zoloft gave me instant anxiety. On Lexapro, the weight gain is much slower - but after a couple of years on this med - I'm back to 20 lbs overweight. I, too, am basically a lifelong athlete. I've always been able to control my weight with the workouts. I'm not the best dieter, though - so I can't totally blame the drug. But I've had the side effects. When I first got onto the drug - I felt nausea, cramps and diarrhea. Then after the first week, the bloating and constipation set in, plus about a 5 lb weight gain, which stabilized and held steady for awhile. But after a couple years, the weight has just crept on. I feel sleepy on it and of course hungry. I'm relieved about not having panic attacks or anxiety - but I am used to having a nice figure! Every time I've tried to get off meds (I also take Wellbutrin to counteract the sexual side effects of the Lex, and xanax once a night to fall asleep and stay asleep), I've been unsuccessful. Usually, it begins with constant crying, and then a slow return of anxiousness. And then, more than one doc has told me that I need to stay on meds for life, due to my history of more than one major depressive episode, and my family genetics. Soooooooo - I wish these companies would create an antianxiety/antidepressant that does not mess up your metabolism!! But I'm very depressed about being fat and unable to get control of my weight! So, tonight, I'm going to start cutting my meds in half, from 20mg of Lex, to 10mg, than off. Maybe I'll stay with the Wellbutrin for awhile to see if it will work on its own. One caveat, however, DO NOT EVER stop cold turkey! It's dangerous and the side effects are horrible! Brain bounce, dizziness, numbness and wobbly legs. Anyone out there know what I'm saying?? Thanks for the listen.
    --Jenna

Jenna -

Due to the weight gain I have started tapering off Wellbutrin and Lexapro too. I was on 5mg of Lexapro daily, then down to every other day for 3 weeks. This week I just stepped down to 2.5mg daily and it's been a little harder. The dizziness is a lot more frequent at this dose, but I'm determined to get off it.

I was at 100mg of Wellbutrin daily and am down to 25mg every other day too.

Good luck!

srarthy is offline New Member

Default Fat tummy

I have been on lexapro for about 1 and 1/2 years for OCD. I have tapered slowly from 40 mg to 2.5 mg every other day. Will be off of it in less than a month. I have gained 38 pounds. I usually gain weight quickly and tend to be fat but used to maintain it at a normal weight with diet and exercise.I could shed the weight easily before. I have never been this obese my entire life. I have developed a round big tummy and look like 8 months pregnant. I feel too heavy and the weight is mainly in the love handle area and tummy. I feel very awkward and too angry. I can't even lose a pound in the past one year. I lose my motivation and never exercise regularly like before thinking it is not helping me and can't diet these days. I had a huge appetite like never before since taking lexapro but my appetite has significantly reduced at this stage.
    I am very depressed about my huge midsection. I too want to know when will the weight start coming off after withdrawal. Has anybody lost their tummy weight. Extremely depressing when people ask me if I am pregnant. My husband is hoping me to lose the weight once I wean off the drug.
    Last edited by srarthy; 07-23-2009 at 02:07 AM.

I have been completely off Lexapro now for 2 weeks. I still have some dizziness now and again. My weight has started to come off though. I find I'm not hungry all the time and thinking about food, like I was when I was on Lexapro. I have started walking and doing abs to help me take the belly and love handles off. My belly started shrinking almost right away, the love handles are a different story.

Unfortunately for me my story has another twist. My husband decided after being together for 11 years, and only married for 4, to announce that he doesn't love me anymore and wants a divorce, so my nerves have probably had something to do with me not being so hungry. I'm determined to get through this without the help of any drugs and am trying to be strong. Some days are better than others, and the tears definitely fall easier, but I'm going to stay strong.

Good luck.

srarthy is offline New Member

I am so sorry to hear that. Good that you are being strong. Don't give up. Things would get better and don't give in to lexapro again. Nice to hear that your weight has started to come off. It motivates me. In just 3 weeks I'll be off Lexapro and waiting to see the results.Already started exercising but still no weight loss.

Good luck.
    Arthy
    Last edited by srarthy; 07-27-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Lotus77 is offline New Member

I have been on 10mg of Lexapro for about 6 months now for anxiety and depression related to a long history of substance abuse and eating disorders. My psychiatrist is fully aware of my issues/fear of gaining weight, which is why I was very surprised she recommended Lexapro, but I left the decision in the hands of the professional. Unfortunately, in the past few months I have gained 15 lbs, which on my small frame is very noticable and quite anxiety provoking for me. My eating habits have definitely not changed and, if anything, I am intaking less calories a day since I am now not drinking alcohol. My mind is now completely consumed by the weight gain, and seems to be contradicting the benefits of taking Lexapro. And like Qtrhorse96 mentioned, all the weight seems to have settled in my mid section and hips... somewhere I have never had a problem with before. I also thought I was perhaps pregnant since I am constantly feeling bloated (even if I haven't eaten) and because the weight gain was so rapid. Instead of taking drastic measures to try and take/keep the weight off (old eating disorder behaviors- starvation, laxatives) I have decided to discontinue taking Lexapro cold turkey. I know this is highly discouraged, but I rather suffer the minor side effects than keep being so preoccupied by my weight gain. I will post again and report when I start feeling "normal" agian... hopefully it will only be around 6 weeks like some other people have mentioned. Everyone hang in there!

cyntex is offline New Member

Default Fat Tummy... oh yeah!

Count me in the club... I too have gained so much weight and it is all in the tummy and hips. At one time (during my marriage) I was on Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, and Ambien. I was divorced a year ago.

I've cut out the Wellbutrin and Xanax. Four days ago I decided to go cold turkey off the Lexapro 20 mgs. I didn't take the Ambien last night.
    I am miserable, but hopeful. My head hurts and I am dizzy. However, I am willing to put up with it.

I have a wonderful man in my life, and will be married to him in January. I want to look my absolute best on my wedding day for the man who "gets me", who makes me feel like a princess (tummy and all!), and who will TALK to me. I realize that I don't need a drug for the rest of my life, if I can work through my worries with someone else.

I lost 45 pounds during the last months of my previous marriage. The drugs have helped me put it all back on and more. I don't get on the scales. Its about how I look in clothes. I am not a calorie counter or a huge exerciser. I am cutting out carbs, sugar, and alcohol. Together with losing the drugs and watching what I eat, I hope to get back to a reasonable weight for a 53 year old, 5 foot 4 inch woman.

Depression runs in my family, and I am empathetic to all of you who rely on these drugs to get through your days. It helped me through. I hope you all can feel better and I will cross my fingers that all of us lose the weight!!!
    Last edited by cyntex; 07-31-2009 at 06:11 PM.

PaulEll is offline New Member

I wouldnt' recommend cold turkey - I tried that a few times - the only thing that worked was a really slow taper. I also switched to prozac from zoloft before i tapered down because apparently prozac has a longer half life (i think that means how long it takes to get out of your brain or body?). I found the plastic brain site pretty helpful - http://sites.google.com/site/myplasticbrain/

also i think you should balance the weight gain against how bad you felt before to work out if you should quit - zoloft didnt make me gain weight but mirtazapine sure did! but i felt a lot better on it (mainly sleep)

good luck - its not easy!

atlmom is offline New Member

Default weight gain on Lexapro, too!

Hi all,
    I am so relieved I found this forum. I have been on Lexapro 10 mg. for exactly 2 years and have gained about 25 lbs., almost completely in my mid-section and hips. I have never had much of a problem in this area, and I have certainly never had "love handles" before now! My waist feels and look like I have a tire around it! I feel like I am always thinking about food and craving something, usually carbs, just like so many people have posted here. I really don't think I eat more or exercise less than in past, but I have usually not been able to resist these nagging carb cravings at night! It takes all my willpower not to have a bowl of Special K or some crackers. I almost feel a bit nauseated late at night and feel like I have to put something like that on my stomach to settle it. I will try to avoid it and get in bed, but that feeling in my stomach usually keeps me from falling asleep, and then I cannot help but get out of bed to go EAT CEREAL AT MIDNIGHT??? I've never been like that before. It really has been a mystery to me until now. I have just cut up my last 30 or so pills and just took approx. 7.5 mg. this morning. I will do that for a few days and then work down to 5 mg., then 2.5, then I'll take the little pill chips that resulted from some imperfect cutting. I'm going to taper-down faster than has been recommended on the various websites because I am so eager to see if I will start losing weight. I will do it somewhat slowly to avoid any serious side effects, though. I think I'm ready to be off Lexapro anyway- started taking it for what seemed to be post-traumatic stress disorder from a very difficult, scary, life-threatening (for both of us), premature birth of my baby. Everything is fine and absolutely wonderful now, so I should be fine to get off drug. I'll post again on my weightloss and withdrawal side effects soon. (P.S. I had lost more than all of my baby weight by the time I started to suffer from PTSD 6 months after birth of baby, FYI, making this incredible weight gain that much more frustrating!)

nicoleinc is offline New Member

I am so grateful to have found this forum. I have been trying to find out for months where this unexplained weight gain has home from and after working out everyday and seeking the help of a nutrionist the only thing left was the fact that I was taking a large dosage of lexapro.

I was not losing a pound while trying to eat healthy and stay active while being on lexapro, now that I have been off of it for a week I have already lost 2 pounds, it is really quite amazing.

Basically, I don't care what relieft lexapro had given me. Putting on 20 lbs. in 18 months is just wrong for especially someone of my build. I was feeling very unhealthy on lexapro and the feelings of not feeling myself because of the weight gain was worse than what I was feeling before.

DO NOT GO ON THIS DRUG IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH YOUR FIGURE.

preza is offline Junior Member

I have to agree with all above. I started 10mg on August 2008 and now 14 months later I am plus 25 lbs, which came in so slow and gradually I didn't even notice until the last 3-4 months.

It works wonders for my anxiety. Before i started the drug I did research here and other web sites. I believed that I could be one of the lucky ones, who don't gain weight, but no such luck.

I will try to taper it slowly

laurbby10 is offline New Member

Default Definetly would rather hate life than gain so much weight.

So glad I found this site.
    I'm 18 and have been taking the 10mg for only two days, and after reading this I've decided to stop taking it.
    I already have somewhat of an eating disorder and am constantly trying to keep my weight under 105 lbs.
    I couldn't bare to gain 15+ pounds and not be able to lose it.
    I'm terrified of this pill now.

gracie07 is offline New Member

Default Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by laurbby10 View Post
    So glad I found this site.
    I'm 18 and have been taking the 10mg for only two days, and after reading this I've decided to stop taking it.
    I already have somewhat of an eating disorder and am constantly trying to keep my weight under 105 lbs.
    I couldn't bare to gain 15+ pounds and not be able to lose it.
    I'm terrified of this pill now.

I, too, took Lexapro for anxiety and general depression. My depression was more situational than anything, but did need some help overcoming it. Weight gain is a huge issue to me as well, as it probably is for most women, and Lexapro did what I feared it would. I have gained about 13 lbs in the six months that I have taken Lexapro. I was taking 10 mg daily, but sort of tapered myself off, then a week ago this last Sunday, I took my last pill.
    There are "brain zaps" from going off the med, and irritibility as well. I feel somewhat Lethargic, and since I work full time and am a fulltime college student, it makes life interesting. I hope the side effects go away soon, the "brain zaps" are getting better, so is the irritability.
    All I can say is I take some real deep breaths, and release the air slowly. It helps to calm me down and make the "moment" go away. I work as a Case Manager, so sometimes my job is quite hectic, and going through the withdrawals of the medication is not what I really like to experience on top of that. I have lost some of my ability to spell, just noticed that when I went off the drug. I would never do it again, God willing, and hopefully can find another way to deal with issues. I realize some have no choice not to take medication, and please do not stop abruptly if you can at all help it. I work with patients that take psychotropic medications and have seen the devastating effects of just "stopping" their medications. If the weight is there already, another few weeks of tapering off the medications won't make all that much difference, and could save a few weeks of the medication withdrawal symptoms. I am not professing to be an expert by any means, just know what I have seen and have experienced. God bless to you all.

wannabebetter is offline New Member

Question Figured it out!! :P)

I am so happy I happened to look this up tonight. I have been on a downhill rollercoaster for months trying to figure out why I am gaining soo much weight.

A year ago I started taking Lexapro and Lorazepam. The Lorazepam was stopped for a few months but I kept gaining weight. My doctor didn't want me to stop taking Lexapro yet and I still needed the Lorazepam.

I went from 130 to almost 200 pounds in a year and I even got stretch marks from gaining so fast. I didn't think much of it at first because my family is bigger but I can't even lose any of it. I barely get 800 calories a day, I run a daycare with 6 kids everyday of the week (no kids myself) and I'm constantly running or getting up to help or something. I eat small portions and only a few times a day. I don't drink caffine or any kind of pop. I drink water/milk/propel. People say after you quit drinking caffine and pop, you will lose some weight, but I gained weight!

I can't take diet pills because the caffine makes my anxiety worse and I don't want to take up my whole day with exercise. My doc can't explain the rapid weight gain/unability to take it off.

I am going to try to stop Lexapro, only on 5 mg daily so not high dose, really didn't think I needed it but family thought I was depressed. Maybe just the anxiety and the Lorazepam will help that.

Anyone else feel similar while taking both or even just one of the pills?

Also, all the weight seems to be in my stomach. My legs and arms are the same size as before.
    Last edited by wannabebetter; 12-12-2009 at 12:20 AM.

Sparky006 is offline New Member

Default Lexapro weight gain

Read all the comments on Lexapro. I try never to take prescription drugs unless absolutely necessary. I had a lot of stress going on for years and thus thought I'd give Lexapro a try on my doctor's recommendation. After about a month, I went from 5mg to 10. I was on them for about 10 weeks and the weight gain was unbelievable. I was more miserable and now constipated than I was before. BIG mistake. I have been the same weight all my life and workout so I stay that way. Ruined my holidays as I was bloated like a balloon. Immediately threw them in the trash which is where they belong. I have never been so miserable. I would like to tell the drug company what they can do with this garbage. I'm still bloated and have been off them for about 5 weeks. I'm hoping I go back to normal or I'll pursue this further. I am quite angry and have more stress from the weight gain than the stress I went on them to correct. I had no withdrawal symptoms, but that might not be everyone. My advice is to throw them out and try something perhaps more natural like St. John's Wart. Do some research on a better choice than drugs. Best of luck to all of you who have suffered from Lexapro.

bastean121 is offline New Member

Default Weight Gain on Lexapro

I have been on 10mg Lexapro for about 2 years now. I started taking them after the birth of my 2nd child, primarily for constant moodiness and irritability. Started noticing significant weight gain about 6 months into taking it, but attributed it to the fact I'd previously had 2 children 17 months apart. At the time I started taking it, I was about 175 lbs at 5' 8" - only about 10 lbs over my pre-baby weight. Two years later, I am 225lbs. Fifty pounds in 2 years...and I feel like I just keep getting bigger.

Nearly all of my gain has also beein in my stomach - I too feel like I look pregnant again. I've been so frustrated as I didn't understand why the weight gain had come on so heavily in the past 2 years. Granted, I'm now 39and don't get the exercise I used to, but I do have 2 little ones I chase after and it feels like my metabolims has just hit a brick wall. Been checked for thyroid issues, anemia, etc. and all comes back ok.

After reading all of the prior posts, I am going to also taper my dosage off and try to quit taking it entirely, and see if my weight starts to drop at all over time.

Good luck to everyone else facing this problem and thanks for your posts. I'll post an update again in the future with the outcome.

Centurion is offline New Member

I am a 59-year old college professor who stopped taking Lexapro about a week ago and thus I have gone "cold turkey," as they say. I took 10 mg of this stuff for about two years because my wife demanded that I agree to have my doctor put me on it. She is a very demanding, highly opinionated person who cannot stand any disagreement with her viewpoint and who is hyper-sensitive to any criticism of her opinions. Rather than divorcing, which would have been better for both of us, her strategy was to have the doctor put me on Lexapro and turn me into somewhat of a vegetable so that she could continue to make any critical, insulting remarks to me that she wishes and have me make no verbal response whatsoever. I am 6'1" tall and weighed about 235 pounds before Lexapro. I ballooned up to an incredible 280 pounds at one point and struggled to lose down to about 254 pounds while on Lexapro. I was an athlete and bodybuilder and this is not natural for me to be obese. Before Lexapro, I could always lose 20 pounds in a month any time I wanted to by simply exercising and eating well. I stopped taking Lexapro about ten days ago and I feel dizzy, have tingling in my arms, chest and hands, feel sick at my stomach and my heart races at times. I attribute all of this to Lexapro withdrawal. My wife does not know that I have stopped taking it and she does not need to. I would rather weigh 215-220 pounds and endure my wife's hellish attitude than weigh 280 pounds and feel no anger or pain. I will endure these withdrawal symptoms and I will NEVER take a "happy pill" again in my life.

johnhopps is offline Member

Default weight gain

I've been taking lexapro for over 3 months now. It has helped a lot with my condition but has caused me to gain 10 to 15 pounds. I have dieted and increased my excercise a lot but I can't lose a pound. Today is my first day off the med and I'm starting luvox tommorow. I can't wait to get a six pack (abs)

lorilo is offline New Member

Default weight gain lexapro

I have gained 20 pounds since starting 10 mg of lexapro in Sept 2008. I am 5'2" and usually weigh 135-140...today I hit 159.8!!! THIS WEIGHT GAIN HAS GOT TO STOP NOW! I was working out pretty much everyday and watching what I was eating, but the weight kept creeping up. I was attributing this weight gain to age (49), pre-menopause, etc...But I really could not believe how my eating was totally out of control. I talked my dr into putting me on Meridia--was on it for 2 weeks and really think the lexapro was blocking it's activation. I mentioned to my dr that perhaps the lexapro was the REASON for the weight gain and talked her into letting me wean myself off. After reading the logs about so many people gaining weight while taking this drug, I am really excited that hopefully this is what happened to me!!! I am hoping to see a difference in my weight, eating habits and stamina by March. I am also going to finish my last 2 weeks of Meridia when the lexapro is out of my system. I am really excited that maybe I REALLY CAN LOSE THIS WEIGHT! Can anyone tell me how long it takes to feel, see a difference??

Randeelynn is offline New Member

Exclamation weight gain on Lexapro

I've had the exact same experience as you have had. I've gained 10 pounds over the last few months and it seems to be climbing rapidly. All the weight I have gained is in my stomach, which is very unusual for me--- and I have these love handles. I'm on 20 mg of Lexapro and the doctor has just cut me down to 10 mg because I was experiencing sexual side effects. Now because of the weight gain I want to get off it altogether.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast