Like Tree2Likes
Remeron
    glee is offline New Member

Default Remeron

Remeron
    Generic Name: mirtazapine
    Treatment for: Depression

Have you taken or do you take Remeron?
    We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences while taking this drug.

Consumer Information at
    http://www.drugs.com/remeron.html
    Professional Information at
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/remeron.html
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-29-2008 at 01:38 AM.

ehs75 is offline New Member

I took Remeron for just a few weeks for depression. While taking it, I ate like a pig!! I had a PA tell me that she had heard other patients complaining of increased appetite. There are so many anti-depressants that you should be able to find one that works and does not stimulate appetite.

shill

psisci is offline Junior Member

Remeron does stimulate appetite, but some of this can be helped by increasing the dose. Lower doses are more sedating and tend to make people gain more weight.

Dr.S.

maidenspg is offline New Member

I took Remeron for 30 days (don't recall the dosage...in fact, I've tried to forget the entire experience!), and gained 4-6 ozs per day. I didn't have an increase in appetite; didn't have a change in diet. Just gained weight! I couldn't wait/weight to get off that medication! I'm happy with Lexapro now. And, 5 months later, I've finally lost the weight! Every time I think of Remeron, I cringe!

pacenn is offline New Member

I'm on 30mg remeron for 4 weeks almost. I became more depressed, less active and withdrawn. I sleep too much ( over 14 hours). I just can't pull myself out of bed. As someone mentioned here "lower doses are more sedating". It is true.... when I increased my doses to 45mg I slept less.

I'm definitely going to change this drug.

Casey55 is offline Member

Remeron is notorious for causing weight gain as is Zyprexa and Risperdal, Anafranil and even the SSRI's can cause weight gain to name a few.

Wellbutrin is one of the newer antidepressants and other then the SSRI's, it is a top first choice to prescribe for depression. And Wellbutrin does not cause weight gain, but can cause weight loss. Good news!!!!

Casey

no_self_control is offline New Member

I was on Mirtazapine for a few months and I gained 10-20 pounds. Weirdly, I found it DECREASED my appetite--I usually eat like a horse and suddenly I was happy with three moderate meals a day and no snacks! Maybe it slowed down my metabolism.

Depression-wise, it seemed like I was starting to feel better after about two weeks but then I went downhill again. My psychiatrist told me to keep taking it, same dose and everything, for another few months(!) because sometimes antidepressants take a long time to kick in. I don't think that's what was happening, though; the depression DEFINITELY lifted and then came back, and my appetite came back along with it, so I stopped taking the meds and stopped seeing that shrink.

Has anyone else experienced this rise-and-fall thing? Also, will my weight go back to normal by itself or will I have to do some hardcore dieting and working out?

delicious_awishes is offline Junior Member

Ive been on remeron 15mg for about 10 months because one of my side effects from the lexepro was not being able to sleep . And at first I loved the remeron except all the sleep , but after about six months I only need about 8 hours of sleep. The only problem is now the 15mg isnt working Ive been taking three pills just to get to sleep . And I will run out before the end of the month. I to have heard that lower doses are better to fall asleep but not for me. Oh yeah the appetite thing sucks , I eat all day even when I am full I find myself in the fridge looking for something. Just wanted to let you know.

Latinjen is offline New Member

I have taken remeron for sleep for 2 years and yes you do gain weight, but if you watch what you eat and exersise you can keep it off. I love it! I also find a Low Carb diet helps! If you are hungry eat things that fill you up and have no carbs, meats, cheese, ect.

Always Down....
    Jennifer

melodious is offline New Member

I've been on remeron twice, the 1st time I was severely depressed and then again the 2nd time around. Both times I've had excellent results with it and have always been underweight and a little anxious but found that it instantaneously (within the first 24 hours) had me eating again, sleeping soundly, and less stressed, and calmer. I recommend remeron for anyone who needs an appetite stimulant and needs some peace of mind (is anxious). I'm on the 15mg dosage, the lowest. I've tried Lexapro and it was good too although it completely wiped out my sex drive since it's an SSRI and is common with SSRI's. Since remeron is not an SSRI I am happy to continue having my sex drive as it doesn't affect that. Note that remeron is known to increase your sleepiness at the lower doses (if you take more the less sleepy you will be) and the same might be true with it's affect on one's appetite although I've never strayed from the lower doses. I guess a correlation would be that what I got from Xanax and Lexapro together I get from remeron without the sexual side-affects of the SSRI's.

jennydakiwi is offline New Member

I took Remeron for quite a long time. I would take them at bedtime, and not long after I'd have hallucinations. It was frightening. I eventually told my Dr, and he prescribed a different med.

trueblue92863 is offline New Member

I was on Remeron for two years and gained 60lbs. I craved carbs constantly. My Dr. has just took me off of Remeron and put me on Topamax with hopes that I can shed some of this weight that I have gained from using Remeron. I am also using a different kind of sleeping pill now , Can't think of the name of it? The Topamax must be working Ha !!!

trueblue92863 is offline New Member

I was on Remeron for 2 years and gained 60lbs. My Dr. just took me off and put me on Topamax hoping that I will lose some of the weight I had gained. My Dr. also put me on Lunesta for sleep which has been working real well. I no I will never go back on Remeron because of the bad weight gain it caused , I craved carbs so bad!!

enriquegm82 is offline New Member

It is known that with Remeron™ You will literally eat sugar straight out of the bag to satisfy your cravings for sweets and carbohydrates.
    However nobody can deny that is a powerful antidepressant and an excellent medicine for sleep disorders.
    Remeron will pull you out of the deepest, blackest depression like no other medication will. But be prepared for the terrible side effects.
    1)"Weight Gain" even if you dont change your diet you will gain weight.
    2)Prepare to be sleepy all the time, you will feel less active.

Thats why Remeron is not for mild to moderate depression, it's for people who are seriously depressed, who are willing to put up with the weight gain and the sleeping because those side effects suck much less than the dark pit of depressive despair one finds oneself in.
    femmy and Gia727 like this.

enriquegm82 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by Casey55

Remeron is notorious for causing weight gain as is Zyprexa and Risperdal, Anafranil and even the SSRI's can cause weight gain to name a few.

Wellbutrin is one of the newer antidepressants and other then the SSRI's, it is a top first choice to prescribe for depression. And Wellbutrin does not cause weight gain, but can cause weight loss. Good news!!!!

Casey
    Yes Casey its true, but Wellbutrin is not as powerful as Remeron. Although it is a good alternative.

iceman27 is offline Member

Remeron is ****. I've just quit taking the ****. I don't believe in any of those antideppressants. I've taken both remeron and wellbutrin and to be honest I know believe it's all in my head. I think what i want to think. If i feel depressed I eat a good meal or exercise. Plan and simple. Antideppressants are **** in my opinion. They just messed me up more.

mgl
    mgl is offline Junior Member

Despite being an effective antidepressant, Remeron has not become a first-line treatment because of two limiting side effects in a number of patients: weight gain and sedation.

kk2007 is offline New Member

Weight gain is a side effect. I have been taking it for about a month because I couldn't go to sleep. I have always been really underweight. I have gain a couple of pounds. I'm 19 and right now I weigh 105...a couple of weeks ago I weighed about 90. I couldn't ever gain any weight and I am glad that I am gaining weight. I just wan to know about how much I will gain! I want to stop at some point. I'd like to gain about 25 lbs

Connor44 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue92863 View Post
    I was on Remeron for two years and gained 60lbs. I craved carbs constantly. My Dr. has just took me off of Remeron and put me on Topamax with hopes that I can shed some of this weight that I have gained from using Remeron. I am also using a different kind of sleeping pill now , Can't think of the name of it? The Topamax must be working Ha !!!
    I have been on Mirtzapine (Remeron) since Feb.2008 and I have put on some serious weight. I also sleep so much and feel very sluggish and tired throughout the day!! I am wondering if this drug is doing more harm than good? I have outgrown all of my clothes and my wife says that I am gaining alot of weight and am looking bad!! I exercise when I can and I really don't make many bad food choices. This drug makes you sleep so much and eat like there's no tomorrow!!! Are we trading one thing for another?? Depression compared to possible side effects associated with large weight gain!! Diabetes,high blood pressure,etc...

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Connor44 View Post
    I have been on Mirtzapine (Remeron) since Feb.2008 and I have put on some serious weight. I also sleep so much and feel very sluggish and tired throughout the day!! I am wondering if this drug is doing more harm than good? I have outgrown all of my clothes and my wife says that I am gaining alot of weight and am looking bad!! I exercise when I can and I really don't make many bad food choices. This drug makes you sleep so much and eat like there's no tomorrow!!! Are we trading one thing for another?? Depression compared to possible side effects associated with large weight gain!! Diabetes,high blood pressure,etc...

Remeron is used to stimulate appetites as well as for depression and as a sleep aid. I think it's garbage personally. I used it for several months in 2000 and gained weight plus had AWFUL dreams while taking it. They were evil dreams. I had to stop it before it made crazy as well as turn me into an elephant. I ended up collecting money on a class action lawsuit against remeron manufacturers in around 2003/2004. Can't remember the exact dates. But I would try to find an alternative medication if you are experiencing side effects. If it works for you then fine. But if it doesn't then take something else. Good luck.

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

Default Remeron Saved my Life

I had been suffering from SEVERE chronic insomnia (1-2 hours sleep per night) for years. This started in my mid-twenties. I was a mess. I ached all the time, I was anxious, my blood pressure and heart rate were very high. I was EXHAUSTED!

After first starting treatment, I was hungry all the time but after 4 months, that side effect has gone away completely. I did gain (and lose through a diet and exercise regimen) 20 lbs.

I would have the STRANGEST food cravings. Here's just a few:

1) Raw ramen noodles doused in ketchup
    2) Pure spicy mustard by the cupful
    3) Sticks of margarine dipped in sugar and black pepper
    4) Honey, butter, peanut-butter and ham sandwiches lavished with marmalade and dipped in vinegar. (I told you it was strange! )

But thank heavens, that ALL passed.

Now, I take 90mg Remeron every night 90 minutes before sleep. I sleep 9 hours SOLID, every single night. Now, I'm able to lead a normal life; I exercise like I did when I was 16 (I'm 30 but had felt like 90 with the insomnia.) My blood pressure has dropped, my joints don't ache with fatigue, people have asked me if I've had a face-lift. (I'm a guy) In four months, my "real age" (a la Dr. Oz) went from 45 to 20.

THANK GOD FOR REMERON!

rprocto1 is offline New Member

Unhappy Remeron and wieght gain

Hell yes it causes weight gain. my doctor started me on it two moths ago.
    i have been trying to stay with it because i am tired of feeling depressed all the time. it has been going on for years.
    this remeron stuff is nasty as far as gaining weight. at first my appetite was horrendous about the first three weeks. but then it tapered off to normal,but i am still gaining weight. i am 48 years old and my weight has been just about the same since i was in high school. around 170 to 185 pounds max. within just over two months i have gained 30 pounds i went from a size 34 waist to well over a size 38
    i have never had problems bending over, but now i have problems tying my shoes. i have to hold my breath and lean to one side to do it. worst part of it is, is that it hasn't help my depression one bit if anything it has deepened it because of the weight gain. i meet up with people i haven't seen in a few months and they look at me like. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO YOU.?
    I have two weeks supply left and starting tonight i'm going to cut my dosage in half until it's gone. my doctor told me early on, never to just stop completely.
    i have tried just about every antidepressant out there. well over a dozen different kinds. NONE of them ever seem to work for me. they either make me more depressed or more anxious or both. i am convinced that these antidepressants are a bunch of b/s and i am probably just going to have to live with it the rest of my life and that may not be too much longer. i have already lost two family members to suicide because of depression and both of the were on antidepressants. i'm starting to think that Tom Cruise is right. i am also convinced that some day soon i will follow my two family members to an early grave.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRabbit2 View Post
    I had been suffering from SEVERE chronic insomnia (1-2 hours sleep per night) for years. This started in my mid-twenties. I was a mess. I ached all the time, I was anxious, my blood pressure and heart rate were very high. I was EXHAUSTED!

After first starting treatment, I was hungry all the time but after 4 months, that side effect has gone away completely. I did gain (and lose through a diet and exercise regimen) 20 lbs.

I would have the STRANGEST food cravings. Here's just a few:

1) Raw ramen noodles doused in ketchup
    2) Pure spicy mustard by the cupful
    3) Sticks of margarine dipped in sugar and black pepper
    4) Honey, butter, peanut-butter and ham sandwiches lavished with marmalade and dipped in vinegar. (I told you it was strange! )

But thank heavens, that ALL passed.

Now, I take 90mg Remeron every night 90 minutes before sleep. I sleep 9 hours SOLID, every single night. Now, I'm able to lead a normal life; I exercise like I did when I was 16 (I'm 30 but had felt like 90 with the insomnia.) My blood pressure has dropped, my joints don't ache with fatigue, people have asked me if I've had a face-lift. (I'm a guy) In four months, my "real age" (a la Dr. Oz) went from 45 to 20.

THANK GOD FOR REMERON!

Nearly 7 months into treatment, I'm down to 45mg at bedtime (and lost another 10lbs.) I'm 6'2" and 170lbs, pretty slim. I peaked in weight at 202lbs on 11/30/2009 and adopted a 95% "vegan" diet shortly after (I eat the odd fish). The weight melted off. I also completely stopped eating all refined carbohydrate foods: any flour product is taboo (except pasta). Anything that can't be purchased from the farmer's market (basically) does not go into my mouth. I eat lots of nuts, seeds and legumes and anything green, too. My current favorite is collard greens. I also love kale, bok choy, napa cabbage, you name it. I eat my grains whole, the way nature grew them. I love steel cut oats and bulgur wheat especially! bobsredmill is a great site for finding REAL whole-grain foods.

As I go along, I realize Hippocrates was right when he said, "Leave your drugs in the chemist's pot if you can heal the patient with food."

My diet is having a TREMENDOUS effect on my quality of life. My BP was 100/50 today, the lowest reading of my life; I digress.

Even though Remeron has a diminishing role in my overall health, it helped me get to where I am, today. It's usefulness will pass, as Klonopin's did. For the first time, I can envisage a day where my only prescriptions are walks, food and sunshine.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 05-11-2010 at 06:56 PM.
    Peter

I have gradually decreased and stopped Remeron treatment. The time from 45mg to zero was 28 days.

For those making a case study of me, I was also on Luvox, which I never really expounded upon. Here it is in a nutshell.

Luvox began @150mg/day in late September 2009, was continued throughout the winter and early spring of 2010 at that dose. In April, the dose was lowered to 100mg/day and was gradually reduced (by one grain per day) and was stopped on June 20, 2010.

I am currently asymptomatic and not on any prescription medications except albuterol. My sleep pattern is normal and polysomnograph shows normal sleep architecture as of June 6, 2010.

A polysomnograph conducted in October 2009 showed very little REM and absolutely zero stage 4 sleep. My sleep architecture has improved from "extremely abnormal" to "normal".

All panic and agoraphobic symptoms have dissipated completely.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 06-23-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    Peter

kitkat73 is offline Junior Member

I took it for a few months several years ago. It helped slightly with the severe episode of depression I was going through, but it made me very tired and lethargic, so basically not very useful. I think I gained a little weight on it. I've experienced far worse weight gain with other drugs though. It might help some people with sleep, it didn't even do that in my case. Two positives: It did not trigger any manic symptoms and I was able to come off it cold-turkey with no withdrawal symptoms.

anaheimkaren is offline New Member

Smile Remeron is good for me

This is the best medication for depression there is. I've been trying since age 16 to get rid of this anxiety/depression. I also take Celexa. This combination of medication has helped me and lifted my spirit. I am overweight, but I attribute it to my depression and low thyroid. Because I'm taking Remeron, I have hope and I'm getting out of the house and doing things. I hope I don't gain any more weight, but that's up to me. I need to exercise now and watch what I eat. Good luck to everyone in finding some relief from the depths of depression.

karaboo is offline Senior Member

This med saved my life -- literally! I was put on it after attempting suicide in 2000. I had struggled with depression since 1998 (at age 18) and then had two babies 13 months apart with a miscarriage in between, leaving me with a double dose of post partum depression. I was on remeron for 6 months (having previously been on four other antidepressants to no avail) and was 90% better when I stopped taking it. I did not notice a weight gain while on it and had no memorable side effects. However, I was put on it a few years ago again and had to stop due to severe lower leg edema (swelling). Aside from that, I again had no other memorable side effects other than it knocking me out within 30 mi utes of taking it.

Strength & courage is moving forward in spite of the fear

cjbankshot is offline New Member

Default Remeron

I've been on Remeron for almost a week and have already gained 10 pounds!
    I normally eat 2 meals a day and with Remeron all I want to do is eat all day!
    This is a horrible side effect and I will be stopping this medication.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by cjbankshot View Post
    I've been on Remeron for almost a week and have already gained 10 pounds!
    I normally eat 2 meals a day and with Remeron all I want to do is eat all day!
    This is a horrible side effect and I will be stopping this medication.

cjbankshot.......Remeron is prescribed primarily as an appetite stimulant. It has a few other uses but the main reason drs use it is to make people gain weight. If you don't want to gain weight don't take it because it's going to happen.

The few drs who use it as a sleep aid also need to tell patients they are likely to have horrific dreams. I've been posting this same thing for over three years. Hope the info helps, I hate that medication.God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 08-30-2010 at 07:12 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

ScoutFinch is offline New Member

Question Looking for assistance re: Remeron

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRabbit2 View Post
    Nearly 7 months into treatment, I'm down to 45mg at bedtime (and lost another 10lbs.) I'm 6'2" and 170lbs, pretty slim. I peaked in weight at 202lbs on 11/30/2009 and adopted a 95% "vegan" diet shortly after (I eat the odd fish). The weight melted off. I also completely stopped eating all refined carbohydrate foods: any flour product is taboo (except pasta). Anything that can't be purchased from the farmer's market (basically) does not go into my mouth. I eat lots of nuts, seeds and legumes and anything green, too. My current favorite is collard greens. I also love kale, bok choy, napa cabbage, you name it. I eat my grains whole, the way nature grew them. I love steel cut oats and bulgur wheat especially! bobsredmill is a great site for finding REAL whole-grain foods.

As I go along, I realize Hippocrates was right when he said, "Leave your drugs in the chemist's pot if you can heal the patient with food."

My diet is having a TREMENDOUS effect on my quality of life. My BP was 100/50 today, the lowest reading of my life; I digress.

Even though Remeron has a diminishing role in my overall health, it helped me get to where I am, today. It's usefulness will pass, as Klonopin's did. For the first time, I can envisage a day where my only prescriptions are walks, food and sunshine.

I started taking Remeron approximately 4 weeks ago in order to assist with depression & to assist in weaning myself off of what I considered to be an unhealthy dosage of Clonazepam. At first, I did not notice any food cravings or weight gain. My appetite has always been average to below-average. Now, however, the cravings & weight gain seem to have kicked in. I am looking to do whatever I can to stave off excessive weight gain. I think this anti-depressant has been the most effective of any that I have tried thus far, but I am concerned that gaining weight will lead to sadness in and of itself. I quoted PeterRabbit2 because I found his posting to be insightful, and I would like any and all advice along the lines of 1) how to best change my diet, and 2) the best exercise plan to pursue. Currently, I am a 5'7" female, approximately 150 pounds, in average shape. My ideal weight is 125-130 pounds. Additionally, if anyone knows of any health vitamin supplements that I can take to assist with the weight issue, that advice would be much appreciated. I do not want to screw up the balance that I feel I have finally attained by taking any OTC diet pill. So, please help if you can. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast