Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
MS Contin vs Oxycontin
    zack66 is offline New Member

Default MS Contin vs Oxycontin

I'm fairly new to this site and was jsut wondering if anyone can tell me the differnce betweem MS Continand Oxycontin.
    I'm currently using Oxycontin 40 mg 4 times a day. I asked my doctor if there is anything else I can use that is not as addictive and he recomended MS contin 30 mg. I told him I want something that will help for my debilitating headaches, often migraines. If anyone out there has had any experience with both, I could really use tyhe advice.
    I don't need to be preached at about how addictive they are, I already know. I use them only for relief, not toget high.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Zack

Director is offline New Member

Hi Zack...This is a pretty simple question to answer. You're currently taking Oxycontin, 40 mg QID (or four times a day). That's 160 mg pd. Oxycontin is Oxycodone with a release in it that times the medication and when it's released in the body. With Oxy, you get half or 20 mg initially (usually 45 min.-an hour) and the other half at about the 6 hour point. In taking it four times a day, you'll have some overlap.

MS Contin, is Morphine. Same thing as Oxycontin. It's a timed release medication where you get the medication in a timed release manner.

As far as which one works the best, it's something that is up to the patient. Everyone is different. I have not taken MS Contin, but I did take Oxycontin for a little over a year. For me, it worked quite well, but I built a tolerrance to it very fast. I was up to 160 mg TID (3X day) in a little over a year, and my doc thought maybe we should try something else. He switched me to Duragesic (Fentanyl) patches. I was on 100 mcg per day.

One more thing. Usually, people that on these meds also have break through medication as well. Another medication, that is normally a short acting one. When I was on Oxy, I also had Roxicodone (which is pure Oxycodone like Oxycontin) and was at 30 mg PRN.

Good luck, I hope you find some relief from these meds.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Oxycodone is about twice as strong as morphine too.

TY_maroney is offline New Member

ok who is proscribing 40mgs of oxcontin 4 times a day for headaches need to lose there license that ********ing crazy
    Comeback Kid and G8erMike like this.

JOHNNY LATS is offline New Member

I have had bad migraines for the past 2 years. I went to several doctors and all they give me is Imitrex (which does not help, at all). Every doctor I go to will not give me anything like Vicadin or Oxycontin. They tell me it is not used to treat headaches. How do you get them prescribed so easily? Am I just going to the wrong doctors?

serenitylbs is offline New Member

Can you explain the plus and minuses of the Duragesic compared to the Oxycodone? My situation is similar to yours and I am thinking of a med change.

Briefly, the positives of Duragesic patch are they last for up to 72 hours, Fentanyl the active ingredient is stronger then Oxycodone, they have less abuse potential. The negatives are, they're very expensive, they don't always last the full 72 hours, it's harder to titrate your dose in relation to the pain curve, (i.e if a person is getting too much medication, if they take it off it won't re-apply), they can irritate the skin.

Default zack 66 and director

HI, I use to be on oxycotin, I was 40mg 3 times a day but my eyes looked like I was a zombie, my boss was aking me if I was taking drugs and my family thought I was using too. It helped my pain and did not have too many side effects besides the frankenstien look. Right now I am on ms-cotin and have plenty of side effects like wieght gain, poor urine flow, sweating all the time, and some wierd emotional ups and down. I also take oxycodone as a breakthrough med. I hate meds but my injury is severe and my hmo is cheap. Do you think the patch would offer me relief without the side effects, especially wieght gain and emotional distress. THANK YOU FOR ANY INFO YOU CAN GIVE ME . THANX 3DISCS

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Actually I was going to suggest methadone because it has such a long half life. I don't very often suggest it but if your having trouble with morphine and oxycodone then methadone would be my next choice. It is a far superior pain killer and doesn't have alot of long term side effects. The fentanyl patch would also be a good idea.Let us know how you make out.....Dave

kevin9494 is offline Member

Default Too much OC!!!

I agree with TY. What kind of doctor gives you 40mg OC once a day let alone 4 times a day for a headache. Sounds like a quack to me. In all honesty Zack should start looking into detoxing off all that dope. The longer you remain on it, the harder it is to get off. You might as well be on methadone. Good Luck. Kevin.

jasminesmommy is offline Junior Member

I agree too. I have a real messed up back and neck AND I get migraines and I have been begging my doc for relief for 3 years and yesterday he FINALLY gave me oxycontin 20 mg BID... I dont know of any doctors who give that high a dose for JUST headaches... I have been taking percocet and lortab and they do ok but I needed the long acting med and so far the oxy is ok but I can tell I will need to take it more than just twice a day....I beg you to take care with those pills.. It is a fine line between "want" and "need" when it comes to powerful pain meds...and I hear it is pure hell to go through detox... Take care and God bless...

oldbroad is offline New Member

Oxy-Contin is not the same as MS-Contin. Oxycodone is a semi-synthetic, which used to make migraines worse for me. I take MS-Contin (morphine) for chronic pain, but not for headaches or migraine. I occasionally use MSIR (the short acting form) and have noticed it can give me a dull headache sometimes.

I had severe, debilitating migraines for decades and used to end up in the ER at least 6 times a year, but usually a lot more often than that. Many of the meds I was prescribed for headaches and migraine made them worse, including Imitrex. Finally, in desperation, I tried something that a member in another, long gone forum suggested. It's an Over The Counter Feverfew supplement, but it takes a certain dosage to prevent migraines. Rather than mentioning brands I've used, I'm just going to tell you to Google "London Migraine Clinic feverfew". Read up on it and discuss it with your physician. (Some people are allergic to the group of plants that includes feverfew, and also, check for interactions between any supplement and your meds, please.)

I haven't been to the ER in over 10 years now. For me, this is a miracle, and costs less than $8 per month. I take a standardized feverfew capsule daily, (please refer to the study the London Migraine Clinic did for the specific dose.) I haven't had a migraine since 1999, when I ran out of my regular stuff and grabbed some plain ol', non-standardized feverfew at a store in the mall. FWIW, I define true migraine as a unilateral headache with extreme light and sound sensitivity, and vomiting. Mine used to last anywhere from 3 days to months.

Another thing I found (via another member in the old forum) that would sometimes abort true migraines was Lidocaine 4% Topical, used as a nasal spray on the affected side. There are studies on this, too, and I've never had a Dr. refuse to Rx it, although it's getting difficult to find the stuff. I used to save the dosed nasal sprayers, like some of the nasal sprays for allergies come in. Those worked well, but you can also use a nose dropper. The explanation one Pain Doctor gave for the action of Lidocaine on migraine, was that it interrupts the pain at the Trigeminal nerve. It took that nasty razor edge off cluster headaches, and aborted about half of the migraines. (Cluster headache will tend to make a sufferer pace around and bang their head against a wall, or pry teeth apart in an attempt to relieve the pressure, rather than lying still in a dark room as one would with migraine. fwiw.)

Okay, that said, I still get a type of headache that mimics migraine in some ways. Unilateral, sometimes with nausea. NO light/sound sensitivity or vomiting. They're as painful as a migraine, but are caused by chain-reacting spasms in the Upper Trapezius, SubOccipital, Sternocleidomastoid, and Temporalis muscles. "Tension" headache doesn't even come close to describing the severity of the pain. For those, I use a myotherapy cane, which allows me to reach muscles in my back, then lie down with moist heat packs and a combination of Fiorinal (Butalbital) and Norco (hydrocodone 10/325). You can buy a fiberglass brand-name thing to do this, or make your own out of 40" of steel conduit, using a pipe bender to round both ends into a big S shape. Replacement cane tips of hard rubber slip over the ends.

(This may be more than you ever wanted to know about migraines, or about me.) Hope some of this info helps someone get relief from migraines or other severe headaches.

rg10 is offline New Member

wow.........didnt zack ask not to be preached at about how addictive the meds are? And as im reading, half the responses are doing just that. Give the dude a break, he'll figure it out just like we all are doing. Bottom line is that everyone is diff, every case is diff, evey reason for using these meds is diff. Im sure the last thing he is looking for right now is to be judged on what/how much meds he is taking right now. Hes prob looking for support. Sometimes all these opinions just get in ppls heads, and make it harder for the person to reach their goal.........whatever that may be (getting off the meds, deciding btwn which meds to take, etc, etc).

Kerky is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNNY LATS View Post
    I have had bad migraines for the past 2 years. I went to several doctors and all they give me is Imitrex (which does not help, at all). Every doctor I go to will not give me anything like Vicadin or Oxycontin. They tell me it is not used to treat headaches. How do you get them prescribed so easily? Am I just going to the wrong doctors?
    The doctors are right those "pain meds" are not effective on head aches I take oxycotin 40 mgs 3 times daily also percets 5/325 1 or 2 when needed BUT nether will help with Migraines or headaches. Migraine medicine that I am prescribed is Relpax 40mgs works the best ever for fast and effective relief.... but I also get alot of head aches which I will take either Excedrine for migraines or Scripted Mortin 600mgs. Try those if its just for what u said. Chiropractic Care would also make a HUGE diff....

cooknwoman is offline New Member

Hi Zack,

I think we are in the same boat in a sort of way. I take Oxycontin 20mg 3x/day but also Lyrica 200mg 3x/day. I get all kinds of flack for taking addictive drugs but like you, I have no choice.

I am checking to see what the difference is between MS Contin vs Oxycontin mainly for the cost -- generic that is - since there is no more oxycontin (Oxycodone) - the cost is phenomenal to say the least!!!

take care - and don't listen to insensitive people who have no idea what they are talking about. Living with constant debilitating pain is extremely difficult - I know I was in a car accident with 4 spinal fusions and Fibromyalgia.

Susie

Patriot67 is offline New Member

Zak, pay no mind to the uproar over the Dr. this or Dr. that. There are, believe it or not Dr's that care for real patients with problems.
    If you have pain, moderate to severe and your Dr. isnt helping get another opinion. In todays modern realm of tech and chemicals persay there is no reason to suffer. I know a gentleman, a Vet with severe headaches and nothing will touch them. When I say nothing, I mean nothing. The problem I see today is scared of the Med board or Scared of the DTF Dr's.
    If one hurts and see's a Dr that Dr has a moral commitment to help. If not then >> say he or she isnt worth salt. Sounds to me like you got a good Dr. Some times the addiction isnt an issue when it comes to long term, life time of pain.

mom2my3boys is offline New Member

I had meningitis is 2004 and since have horrible migraines lasting from 1-12 days at a time. My neurologist would provide me with percocet and imitrex and topomax for them but advised against it percs) as narcotics will give you rebound headaches which when your trying to get rid of a headache the last thing you want is it to start again. I go to pain management due to injuries sustained in a motorsycle wreck 14 years ago. I have had to mve up in medications over the years from growing toloerant to them. at one point I was on oxycodone 4 x's daily, duragesic (fentanyl) patch every 48 hours, neurontin 400mgs 3x daily and my ambien cr at night. uh ya I felt good but it was just too much being a mom to 3 kids. I went off the patch and started ms contin in place of it 15mgs 3 x's daily, oxycodone 4 x's daily and ambien cr. I felt a lot more like myself but I persoanlly don;t think the ms contin is as good as the fentanyl patch. I am currently trying to come down on the daily narcotic meds I take and am taking oxycodone 3-4 x's daily, Lyrica 200 mg 3-4 x's daily and Ambien CR 12.5 at night. My docs have always given me oxycodone along with my controlled release meds for breakthrough pain as it works better for me to take them and take a lower dose of controlled release than to up my CR meds and feel like a zombie all day.
    I wish you the best of luck, the med go round os not a fun ride infortunately.

tripsixes is offline New Member

Talking Oxycontin VS MS Contin

I agree with several of you that took up for Zakk. He did in fact specifically request not to be preached to. I believe thjat in order to get respect and someone to listen to what you have to say, even if you are being hypocritical, then you first have to Give respect, and also listen to people just they way you want people to listen to you and respect your wishes, I saw firsthand that quite a few of you did nothing at all but disrespect Zakk and downgrade him. Heck, if I was him, which I am like him in a similar way, I wouldnt hurt either if I had a great doctor who cared enough for me to Not let me hurt. Well, I have a pain management doctor that treats me just like that. She is very caring of me and the pain that I have, and she gives me really good medicines. But she is also a very self-conscious doctor too, and she monitors me very closely. I have a very good reputation built up with her and her nurses/ assistants. That is a whole other story, and I am sure I will share it some time.

But back to the question at hand posted by Zakk. Zakk I just want to say that I have taken both the Oxycontin And the MS Contin. I am currently on the MS Contin, and I take 30 mg tablets 3 times daily. As a breakthrough medicine, my doctor is giving me Oxycodone 10/325mg, and I take one of those 5 times a day. Very good huh? Anyway, I was put on Oxycontin briefly for about a month after gall-bladder surgery. I had to go back to the doctor and request a different pain medicine. The Oxycontin caused me some very bad sside effects. It gave me severe headache, and it also caused me periods of confusion, and I think a time or two I heard sounds and people talking that weren't there. It made me feel just terrible. I went back to my surgeon and told this to him, and he said that others have had similar side effects, and then he put me on Dilaudid, which worked much better.

I started seeing my pain management doctor about 1 1/2 years ago, and I was already taking Oxycodone 5 mg through him. He said he would treat me with it for a few months until my appointment with the pain management doctor. Well She started me on the higher dose of Oxycodone (10/325mg), and also started me on the MS Contin as the longlasting pain medicine. Well I have to tell you that the MS Contin works way much better that the oxycontin. It doesn't cause me any confusion at all, nor does it cause me headaches, or anything. And it just helps me be way more functional. I can certainly tell when it is releasing more of itself into my body. I don't know, it just seems to work more smoothly for me than the oxycontin did. And I saw where one of these guys claimed that MsContin caused weight gain. That is a false statement. It hasn't caused me any weight gain at all. If anything, it has helped me lose weight by helping me be more active and pain free. I think maybe that person's weight gain was caused by him refusing to step away from the table (lol); but not by MS Contin. I have been taking it for almost two years, and it hasn't done that to me at all.

Zakk, rest assured and feel comfortable that, IMO, you would probably do much better if you Did get your doctor to switch your medicine from Oxycontin to MS Contin. maybe, like it did to me, but maybe your Oxycontin is enhancing your headaches and making them worse. In either event, you should really give the switch a try. And Zakk, you can email me at
    1chosenbygod@att.net if you wish to discuss this more, and also, if you make the switch to MS Contin, I would sure like to hear about how it is working for you; because I think you would do much better on that. Thanks for listening Zakk. I hope this helps!---------------Tripsixes

fungirl is offline New Member

2 ur ? ms cotion is morfine sufate with a oxy molacule added on to it to make it stronger. p.s I am with u I have cronic pain to and its ok to take med the right way. Its abusing them that is damaging.Good luck and hope it helps.

fungirl is offline New Member

Methadone does last longer but it also is 10x harder to come off of.Where oc's and msc take 1 week of withdraw methadone can take up to a month.Methadone is a partial blocker to the recepters and build up over long term use it also has a half life of 3 days so any more methadone u take within this time just stacks on top of each other.I went to a metadone clinic 4 yrs and I swear never felt anything like it when coming off it. Stick to what ur taken cause methadone is more addictive than shooting herion. Ask ur Doc...

dangerous2013 is offline Junior Member

Default is 5mg of oxycotton as potent as 5 mlg of methadone?

im thinking of switching....its been awhile since ive had oxycotin, but i think there about the same

Cabbie is offline New Member

Thumbs up MS Contin vs Oxycontin

I have suffered from migraine headaches for over 15 years before i found a medication that really works. To anyone that has them or bad headaches try to get a script from your MD for Zomig. It is tremendous. I have also used Oxycontin for over 7 years and it has never helped with a migraine even though i am on a very high doze. Good luck all.

13ghosts is offline New Member

This is my first post here, so bear with me. I posted on another site years ago, but I probably a bit rusty.

I have to say that I am bit way of the advice concerning methadone. I was on it for three years, and in that time I gained over 100 pounds. That was cake (so to speak) compared to the hell of coming off of it. I would not wish that on anyone. That said, it is indeed an effective pain reliever and if one is looking at a lifetime of management, then the concern about coming off it would not be as great. But I did suffer tremendous weight gain, which the doctor said was not normal, but I did talk to others who had similar issues.

For knee and back pain, I am currently on MS-Contin 60 twice a day with Hydrocodone 10/350 for breakthrough pain. I find that the MS-Contin partially alleviates the pain, but certainly not for 12 hours at a stretch, so I still generally take 3-4 of the hydrocodone a day to be completely mobile, and even full relief from that is short-lived. I was considering switching to oxycontin, but from what I have read I would not be gaining anything, really, except a higher bill at the pharmacy. I am guessing I could go up a bit in the mg of the MS-Contin and see how that works.

I having been taking both meds for about four months now, and if I try to go without, I notice the withdrawal symptoms begin fairly quickly. So even if I am having a better-than-average day in terms of pain, the sweating, upset stomach, and general mental and physical fatigue precipitate taking the meds anyway. This is not something I am happy about, but comes with the territory, and is better than being in pain all the time. But I have to learn not to worry about it so much.

Knowing what I know about methadone, I would advise trying other avenues first. I know it would easier coming off these meds than it was coming off methadone, if I needed to make a change.

khauoli is offline New Member

i have been taking oxycontin 80mg x4 a day for a while also roxicodone 5 mg for break through. works fairly well but recentally been forced to switch to generic and their just not the same fortunately have a great doctor and he suggests i switch to morphine for a while what is the difference oxy vs ms ??

zack66 is offline New Member

Default Oxycontin for Headaches

Thanks for sticking up for me guys.

Those who say that Oxycontin doesn't help for headaches have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
    I'm not talking about a headache that goes away by taking 1 or 2 Tylenol. These are dibilitating to the point where I lost all my desire to do anything, except sleep.
    These were not migraine headaches, I get those once in a while as well, so I know the difference.
    I have seen specialists and even a neurologist. All they say is that there is nothing physically wrong with me.
    I am convinced it has to do with the nerves in my neck tightening up, as well as stress.

I still use they 40 mg Oxycontin 4 times a day, as well as 5 mg Oxycocet for breakthrough pain. I don't get headaches anymore, so judge for youreslf wether they work or not.

As far as mu doctor goes, he is very well known in Ontario for his naturopathic medicine, which he formulates himself, and he put me on that dose because he knows my level of pain.

I feel sorry for anyone who has chronic pain of any kind and can't get a prescription for pain killers that work, just because the doctor is afraid of looking bad.

Thanks for listening to me, and maybe the reason some of you are trying to give me grief is that you wish your doctor had the balls to prescribe Oxy's for you as well.

Zack

Bubbi is offline New Member

Default Hi Zack

Quote Originally Posted by zack66 View Post
    Thanks for sticking up for me guys.

Those who say that Oxycontin doesn't help for headaches have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
    I'm not talking about a headache that goes away by taking 1 or 2 Tylenol. These are dibilitating to the point where I lost all my desire to do anything, except sleep.
    These were not migraine headaches, I get those once in a while as well, so I know the difference.
    I have seen specialists and even a neurologist. All they say is that there is nothing physically wrong with me.
    I am convinced it has to do with the nerves in my neck tightening up, as well as stress.

I still use they 40 mg Oxycontin 4 times a day, as well as 5 mg Oxycocet for breakthrough pain. I don't get headaches anymore, so judge for youreslf wether they work or not.

As far as mu doctor goes, he is very well known in Ontario for his naturopathic medicine, which he formulates himself, and he put me on that dose because he knows my level of pain.

I feel sorry for anyone who has chronic pain of any kind and can't get a prescription for pain killers that work, just because the doctor is afraid of looking bad.

Thanks for listening to me, and maybe the reason some of you are trying to give me grief is that you wish your doctor had the balls to prescribe Oxy's for you as well.

Zack
    HI Zack,
    You will get no flack from me. I take OC 40mg 3 times a day and I could easily take it 4 times a day because the number 1 issue with OC is that in no way does it last 12 hours. People tend to build a tolerance to it really fast--I know I do.

Which is why I am now looking for something else to at least reduce my need for OC. I also take 15mg of oxycodone a day for breakthrough pain if needed.
    Here's the thing--I too get very intense headaches--I have all my life. This is not the reason I am on opiates but in my experience the opiates can help with the headaches but I have also had them create headaches.

I don't know what a good alternative is for you except that MS-Contin will not do any better for you. OC is much stronger and MS-C messes with ones moods more than OC (in my experience).

Have they tried the Beta Blockers on you? My husband responded very well to 100mg per night of Amitriptyline which is an anti-D --a poor one and now they use it for pain.
    But the one drug that always worked for me was Fiorinal --either plan or with codeine. I cant take it now cause for some reason it does not sit well with my OC. It is a med that has been around for a long while and is specific for headaches. It is a barbiturate but it works. Given your history with headaches I am going to assume you have already tried many things.

Do you mind sharing what tests they have done to try to find the cause of your headaches? The reason I ask is some neck and spinal injuries can cause headaches and the person doesn't even know they have them.

PS. Methadone maybe cheap but it is the most dangerous opiate around and I find it hard to believe it has become the Chronic pain med of choice by most docs.
    Please keep me posted as to your progress as I am always on the look out for ways to conquer headaches and like you I don't mean the type of headaches that a couple aspirin will take care of.
    Bubbi

joni muth is offline New Member

hi, does anyone know what the equivelant amount of 300 mscontin a day and 24 dilaudid a day....is to oxycontin.... i have been on pain managent for 13 yrs. and been on all kinds of meds... im now on the morphine 100 3 times a day and dilaudid 8 3 times nortripline is helping now also,,,, the mscontin gives me headaches always has i dont like patches (duragesic) they dont absorb right or something. so ive been on it all.. i asked to be switched to oxycontin instead of morphine... what is the amount that would be equivelent? the dilaidid dont help much for break through so i dont seem to care for that ....i was told 40 mg oxycontin is like 100 mscontin is that right... i have severe issues can someone help before i change to find out it isnt giving enough help to get through the day.. till my next appointment.. if i change what is the correct amount any help would be appreciated thank you... joni

joni muth is offline New Member

Default compare mscontin to oxycontin

hi, does anyone know what the equivelant amount of 300 mscontin a day and 24 dilaudid a day....is to oxycontin.... i have been on pain managent for 13 yrs. and been on all kinds of meds... im now on the morphine 100 3 times a day and dilaudid 8 3 times nortripline is helping now also,,,, the mscontin gives me headaches always has i dont like patches (duragesic) they dont absorb right or something. so ive been on it all.. i asked to be switched to oxycontin instead of morphine... what is the amount that would be equivelent? the dilaidid dont help much for break through so i dont seem to care for that ....i was told 40 mg oxycontin is like 100 mscontin is that right... i have severe issues can someone help before i change to find out it isnt giving enough help to get through the day.. till my next appointment.. if i change what is the correct amount any help would be appreciated thank you... joni

I'll let you do the math, here are the conversion stats, hydromorphone (Dilaudid) is 5 times stronger then morphine, 2mgs of dilaudid equals 10 mgs of morphine, oxycodone is roughly 2 times stronger then morphine or about 5mgs= 10mgs of morphine.

That being said the 100mg MS is stronger then an 40mg OC, but from personal experience (and ymmv) I find oxy more effective.

Robspace1 is offline New Member

I take Morphine Sulphate (ms) Contin 60mg. 3 times a day. Never had the other. I also take Norco 7.5 twice a day. It has very little of the liver damaging drug, Acetaminophen, in it like Vicodin does. Norco is smaller and should be used by anyone wanting to take care of their liver. No Tylenol either.
    The MS Contin works but like the others it's addicitng and your dosage will go up and you will find your body needing it. If I run out too soon, I pay for it with a bad case of depression and diarea and just a lousy feeling all over. So, if you want just the good news, well, it works, but like any other opiate pain killer, there is a withdrawel to go through if and when your out. After 3 years on these, I'm about ready to wean myself off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast