Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
ativan vs xanax
    confusedvette is offline Junior Member

Default ativan vs xanax

I need something for anxiety. Any difference between xanax and ativan?

Thanks.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Xanax has the shortest half life of all the benzos. It's used primarily for panic attacks. Ativan has a little longer half life and is used for sleep and general anxiety. It just depends on what specific symptoms you're experiencing. Either way be very careful with any benzo. They are more addictive than almost any medication you can take. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Xanax has the shortest half life of all the benzos. It's used primarily for panic attacks. Ativan has a little longer half life and is used for sleep and general anxiety. It just depends on what specific symptoms you're experiencing. Either way be very careful with any benzo. They are more addictive than almost any medication you can take. God bless.

any addiction danger in taking either as needed?

Huge danger for addiction if you take either medication any longer than a few weeks. They are intended for short term use. BE CAREFUL!! God bless.
    jludwikoski likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Cece123 is offline Member

I went to my doctor before a long flight and trip overseas for my flying anxiety. I told him no refills, just enough for the trip. We discussed Xanex and Ativan. I have taken both and can't tell the difference. He told me that Xanex is a little more addictive because it takes effect faster than Ativan and when people with anxiety need a pill, they take the Xanex and it takes away the anxiety faster. Now I am not saying that neither are addictive because I know that they are but I thought that I would put my 2 cents in.

Huge danger for addiction if you take either medication any longer than a few weeks. They are intended for short term use. BE CAREFUL!! God bless.
    define "few weeks".......like 2 or 3?

You got it on the button. A few weeks is less than a month. No one has been anymore guilty than me of "not doing as I suggest." I did them for over 25 years. So I speak from experience, be very careful. God bless.
    crystal82dawn likes this.

You got it on the button. A few weeks is less than a month. No one has been anymore guilty than me of "not doing as I suggest." I did them for over 25 years. So I speak from experience, be very careful. God bless.

wel, I took xanax for 8 days then quit......2 months later I took them for 2 weeks then quit.....I am now on my 5th or 6th day of .5mg usually in the middle of the night when the anxiety hits....

Quote Originally Posted by confusedvette View Post
    wel, I took xanax for 8 days then quit......2 months later I took them for 2 weeks then quit.....I am now on my 5th or 6th day of .5mg usually in the middle of the night when the anxiety hits....

That's cool! You're showing some restraint and being conservative. You will be okay if you use xanax like you're talking about. Just don't let it get away from you. It happens very easily. God bless.
    crystal82dawn likes this.

stopped taking 1/2 mg to 1 g of xanax for about 3 weeks....how long will the withdrawals last and what should I expect?

I seem to feel the urge to shake my head for a few seconds every so often to reduce the anxiety/craving.....

thanks

Bill Baka is offline New Member

Default Xanax and Benzo's

Don't even start. I have been prescribed Xanax for over 25 years and the doctor just kept upping the dose to the point of me being physically addicted. Going off of them causes a Grand Mal Epileptic seizure which aside from being no fun, will put you in the hospital and cost you your driver's license. Tapering off safely can only be done at about 20% every 3 to 6 months. Trying to do it faster may, in fact, kill you. I broke off all my canines during the seizure and now the dentists are telling me that due to my age they will only pull them and put in dentures. My answer, was, of course, "Bull".
    Moral, don't do benzo's of any kind since they are super addictive.

emd001 is offline New Member

Default Pain

Hi Need a quick suggestion for pain relief if I cant take narcotics after surgery because of allergy to them. I can take zanax. Need something very strong for about 3 weeks??? Shoulder surgery Monday.

BrandonSS90 is offline Junior Member

Cool The Difference

First of all, Xanax is different from Ativan. Xanax is more of a light anti-anxiety med, like a pill that will just relax you to the least and that's it. It's more common, kinda like a pain meds, it can be a prn (as needed) if the doctor orders it for anxiety, and in the midst of a panic attack it's taken also to stop that.

Ativan is a whole other story (I'm on it, every 6 hours as needed). Ativan is more of a sedating type med, it will make you sleepy but THERE, but *not* all "there" kind of feeling. It makes me feel a kind of "OK... yeah.. whatever, awesome, cool, nice...", in my case it doesn't sedate me much anymore, because I have taken it so long. But it will kinda make you just totally forget about the anxiety, and relax you in a mellow state as if your not having anxiety at all. It also gives you a slight amnesia, where you won't really remember what the anxiety or attack was about, as it is used in surgery sometimes as well and hospitals to sedate.

That is my experience and knowledge of those 2 anti-anxiety meds. I personally if I was in that situation would go with the Xanax first, the less sedating medicine. And if you have to, and Xanax just isn't helping you, then try the Ativan. Now, doctors are hesitant to prescribe Ativan, as it is strong for a lot of people, and it is very addictive, more than Xanax.

blanco242 is offline New Member

Exclamation watch out for depression!

Ativan, especially if taken regularly say 1mg 3x's a day...will cause laziness, lethargy and depression. Ativan mellows you out if your anxious or having panic attacks but it doesn't get you high. It puts you out and sucks your energy dry. I hate it. It only last 4 hours, as well and when it wears off you can really tell. Xanax on the other hand...if you take say .05mgs 3x a day will mellow you out and you will still be able to function and have no depression. If you take a whole 2mg bar however you will be very out of it...drunk pretty much...xanax and ativan basically last the same amount of time, they are both short acting though in my opinion xanax lasts up to 6 hours..your best bet for length is klonopin. And klonopin isn't sedating. It lasts up to 10 hours so you only need 2 pills a day...

bartonfinchley is offline New Member

Hey, hello everyone, I get to make my very first poat a complaint. I know when registering you have to put those swirly bent words so the spam robots wont register, but give an old man a break lol. I don't think I've ever got one of those right untilmy 3rd or 4th try.

Back to the question at hand, IMO there are addictions and there are ADDICTIONS. I've taken both ativan and Xanax for extended periods several times over the years. When I stopped I had sort of a hard to describe feeling for about a week. I suppose everyone is different, but no seizures and it wasn't even close to for example my nicotine addiction. The best advice I have for any benzo is gradually reduce the dosage over a period of weeks, you may have no withdrawal symptoms at all.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 11-28-2010 at 03:59 AM.

pssssstyo is offline New Member

yes xanax is the devils drug. i cant even explain how bad the withdrawals are from xanax, all i can say is that i was withdrawing from both opiates and benzos at the same time and i did not feel the opiates WD's at all .XANAX is hell.

apocales is offline New Member

Ativan, especially if taken regularly say 1mg 3x's a day...will cause laziness, lethargy and depression
    it also caused addiction and well basically a major reduction in my sex drive.

PECO is offline New Member

The ativan had a very different effect than the xanax. It took longer to feel the "punch" or peak effect of it. (about 2 hours vs 30 mins on Xanax). At first I did not like this, because I was going through Xanax withdrawal and needed something quick acting, but evenutally it kicked in and I felt better later that night. Also the .5 dose of ativan seems much weaker than the .5 dose of xanax- more like a .25 dose. I do like that it lasts longer though. And it does work to calm anxiety, just takes longer to feel. Xanax also seems to give more of a "buzz" due to its short half life which is why I'm sure its more abused than ativan or klonopin. I have not decided whether I will go back to Xanax, I'm just going to try this for awhile. I dont want to be on these meds too long. Its almost a month now, so I know Im gonna have to taper off when all is said and done. I have seen some web sites say you should not take it longer than 2 months. I'm also on Paxil, which has some bad anxiety inducing side effects unfortunately so the Ativan tends to calm those down too.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-05-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    boathouse111 likes this.

dockym is offline New Member

Default I am a doctor............

Robert 325 you are exactly correct!I would try to find a non addictive solution for the anxiety. I suggest meditation for anxiety. Centerpoint makes the best "holosync" cd's. I know because I have been through withdrawl myself!

paindolly is offline New Member

Default Not the Xanax

I took Xanax when it first came out. My doctor and I thought it was non-addictive because that was how it was advertised. I was having panic attacks after being in a major car accident and the Xanax initially relieved them. However, after one year I wanted to get off the Xanax. By now the doctor and I knew they were addictive. Even though I only took them as prescribed, when I tried to stop taking them I began to shake by the 12th hour. My doctor and I knew it was dangerous to stop "cold turkey" so I checked into a rehab center. The center's doctor prescribed Valium (how wonderful after Xanax) and a "step-down" prgram of 10 days. Surrounded by >>>>>> and cocaine addicts and alcoholics, I had a horrid withdrawal and was comforted by all of the addicts and alcoholics in the center as I shook uncontrollably and was drenched in sweat for the duration of the 30-day program. The >>>>>> addicts felt sorry for me as they watched me writhe in agony. It took me about 2 years to finally become somewhat human again. Listen to the replies that tell you to stay away from Xanax. They know as I do that Xanax can be Hell In A Pill.

drezebella is offline Banned

You are right Robert_325... any addictive drug or any drug at all should be consult to your doctor...we can say something based on our experience.. every person had their own experience... the truth is on the doctor's knowledge.... don't base your judgment on other people experience....

I hope your med situation has been straightened out by now as I know this is an older thread, but there is a difference between Ativan and Xanax. Both are benzos., but Xanax by far is the strongest benzo. and it acts very quickly. Ativan takes a good 30-60 min before it acts. Both can be addicting like Robert stated, so be careful. I take Xanax 2mg (this is a very strong dose) 2x day as needed. I have Panic Disorder, but out of all the drugs I abused over the years, I never abused the benzos. Don't know why. They scare me for one thing. You can easily die from abusing them, secondly, I never got a "high" off of them. They just halted my anxiety and panic attacks and made me feel normal and from a medical standpoint there are very beneficial, but again these are to be taken only as needed. Most are for short term use 2-4 weeks but some ppl are on them much longer depending upon his or her diagnosis. I have been on and off of them for years. Sometimes I need them, sometimes I don't, just depends on the stressors in my life, something I am dealing with not just by taking a pill but via counseling. If u are on a benzo. for an extended period of time, the doctor will have to taper u off so your body does not go through w/ds. Withdrawal syndrome with benzos. is common, esp. with long term use. Does not mean you are an addict. U could just be taking your normal dose and not abusing, but over time your body gets used to the medicine and will react when u do not take it, so that is why it is safe to taper for long term use, but short term use should not require any tapering unless someone has been abusing the medicine. O.K. I have rambled enough, lol! Just be careful. God Bless
    Last edited by primetimegrape; 09-09-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Divette81 is offline New Member

Smile

Everythng was helpful...thnx guys bc I had a couple questions myself..my pharmacy gave me xanax by accident, when.my Dr. prescribed avitan...smh...trust me im going to coprate/lawyering up..so I have been on.xanax since aprill 2011...iam new to.this anxiety thing and have jus a small range of it, but I took.my first avitan today and was scared to switch..i take my meds as needed..meaning I only have an anxiety break maybe once evry 2-3 days..so I take a pill.when I.have them, so.im.hopping that will not vause addiction etc....since I dnt take them daily...although the pharmacy jacked up my script ..i didnt mind xanax...kinda worked on the spot..but I agree with a reply up above about the cds...that help u relax..u watch the screen and listen.to.the voice...verrry helpful...my therapist (i.have 1 bc of anxiety) is giving me a copy..very therapeutival..all of this stuff comes frm.the mind..if u cant afford therapy or find these cd..i recommend YOGA..helps with breathing patterns and calmness..but u must b serious about.it...mayb this is y I dnt need my pills...even smtimes jus once a week..i dnt depend on them..i depend on myself...help urself to cure urself...hope this.helps too..sorry for those of u who experienced rehab...scary..jus makes me look forward at how things ar going for me..later guys

Ms.Magenta is offline New Member

Benzos work on different people differently. Some people have a stronger reaction to xanax, others to ativan, and still others to valium.
    Klonopin is by far the safest choice, but they are all dangerous, and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
    One of the problems with anti anxiety meds is that over the long term, they are likely to increase your anxiety once you become physically addicted. Supposedly you are not supposed to be on benzos long term, but most doctors that I have encountered don't seem to follow that rule. The only person you can rely on to make sure that you aren't putting yourself in danger is you. Do the research. Pay attention. If your anxiety gets worse, or if you are left feeling like you are on even more of a rollarcoaster, you need to get off these meds as soon as possible. If you do go off of them, do it under medical supervision. The withdrawal can cause seizures that can be fatal.

Personally, I prefer ativan to xanax. The withdrawal symptoms from xanax were so horrifying that it was a miracle that I didn't give up. However, I've been on ativan for years, and can still go weeks at a time without taking it with no noticeable withdrawal symptoms.

jdev is offline New Member

Default xanax for panic disorder

As others have stated, Xanax is preferred for panic attacks because it kicks in quick.

Anything can be addictive, benzos are no different, but seriously, there is no danger if you have to take it for extended periods of time if you truly need it. I took it for 18 years, 1mg 3x a day for most days, and I weaned myself off when I was 31 (started taking it at 13). I took a slow route with the help of my Dr, but since it was a gradual decrease, it was not bad at all. I did it over 8-9 months. I didn't have any seizures at all, cause I didn't do it rapidly.

I only take it now when I fly or have to go into tall buildings......so since i can still take it once every 3-6 months and am not out trying to get them off the street tells you something about the addiction power they posses. Its not like Opiates, as long as you don't get to the point of doing them to get high.

Regardless of what you take, you need to learn the tools to cope with your situation or disorder. I was born with Panic Disorder, inherited from my father. . My children will have it. But through counseling, and experiences, we have complete control over our disorders and they do not control our lives. Don't back down from your fears, you have to face them. At the same time, never be afraid to ask your Dr. for something if you are having a rough time, that's what those pills are there for and there is no shame in taking them whilst in a bad spot. Honestly I probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them.

Good luck, and God Bless,

Jeff

inflexus is offline New Member

Default ativan

I am on 2 mg of ativan twice daily. It makes me feel nothing. I think I'm going back to xanax at a lower dose. Its much more effective for me. Different benzos work on different gaba receptors in the brain hence different effects for different people.

trevor56 is offline Banned

inflexus, what about klonopin? Have you tried it?
    Last edited by ddcmod; 10-24-2013 at 02:56 AM.

panic_prone is offline New Member

Default Klonipin make you sleepy?

I have a similar situation. I have been taking 0.5mg Xanax twice a day for about 30 years for Panic Attacks. It works pretty well and I have not had to increase the dose. A few years ago I started having worse sleep problems (sleeping long hours) and was recently diagnosed with Depression. I was put on Cymbalta and wanted to get off the Xanax to see if the sleep issues were related to its long-term use. Knowing that there was a good possibility of withdrawl symptoms, I weaned myself off over a few weeks. Even though my dose had been "low", I had a difficult time of it. My doctor informed me that I couldn't possibly be having withdrawl symptoms. My panic attacks started returning also and my doc would not prescribe any benzo. She said that Cymbalta should work just fine. So, needless to say, I switched doctors.

So I still have sleep issues and my question is if I should switch to either Ativan or Klonipin. Sounds like Ativan makes you drowsy. Does anyone have experience with Klonipin in the sleepiness area?

Thanks much...

trevor56 is offline Banned

panic_prone, sleeping long hours- how long?

Alohajiim is offline New Member

Default xanax

I have taken xanax sporadically for several years. Mostly at night as a sleep aid when traveling, and changing time zones. It has worked quite well. I try not to take it more than once or twice a week. I also take it before I go to the dentist or before I have an interview or presentation, which is seldom. It keeps me from getting worked up and tense. I usually take half of a ,05 mg tablet, rarely I take a whole tablet if I am not the least tired and I need to sleep. I wake up relaxed and unconcerned. I have never taken it on a daily basis. Just knowing the possible addictive nature of the medication helps me to use it only under the previosly mentioned circumstances. I have never taken ativan so I can't comment on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast