Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
Xanax Withdrawal
    sfc420 is offline Member

Default Xanax Withdrawal

Hey guys, hopefully this will be one of my last posts -

I've been getting prescribed Xanax for the last month or so for "anxiety attacks" and "Anxiety" that were really just "Temper tantrums" and "Things about life" that i need to learn to accept. He's been prescribing me up to 4 mgs a day, but of course I've been abusing it. Now here i am, with no xanax feeling SUPER shaky and almost feverish. I know this is only the beginning and since I've proved to myself I have no self control what so ever, this ish has to stop. So now I am asking anyone who has quit xanax some advice? I know i have another doctors appt, and now he thinks my depression is gone (im taking lexapro for depression), so now its time for him to ween me off. how do I deal with it between now and then? any advice, not harassment, would be a major help.. Thanks guys
    Kyle

sfc420 is offline Member

Day two of withdrawals and im already giving in. My friend gave me some klonopin wafers (.5 mgs) and i took 6 of em.... They took away my jitters and shakes but did nothing to cure my slamming headache or help me sleep. I know my mom has restoril, but because of dosage differences I dont know if i would be weening myself off or just adding to the habit. All I know is that if I dont have any benzo's in my system at this point I get all messed up, shaking and not being able to spit words out like a normal person. This is worse than my oxycontin withdrawals - at what point does the shakiness turn into seizures?

sfc420 is offline Member

Day three and I have developed sinusitis, im not sure if its related to the fact that I have no xanax, or that I just got sick - but now ive had a fever for 48 hours straight, along with stomach pains, a permanent migraine, and im taking augmentin, despite the fact that it makes my stomach pains worse. With the fever my whole entire body hurts - I HAVE SHARP PAINS..... i know you guys are reading this, HAS ANYONE quit taking xanax and experienced this kind of stuff? This is the worst couple of days I've ever had and I really feel like I need the xanax too feel better - please help me out!

blueroses is offline New Member

Hi Kyle,
    Don't know if your reading this but I'm answering. I hope your starting to feel better since it's been a couple of days since your last post. I've never been addicted to Xanax or any other painkillers for that matter but it really sounds like you need to see your doctor or a doctor for that matter. From what you've written your symptoms sound like the flu--I've been at home in bed for a week with it. I encourage you to reschedule your appointment with your doctor who prescribed you with the Xanax and Lexapro, tell him/her the truth about what your going through so that they can help you out with it and get you past it. Please don't self medicate. Using prescription drugs to end a prescription drug addiction is self defeating. Good luck and let me know how your doing. I'll keep you in my prayers tonight.
    Rose

livid is offline Member

when I went thru benzo withdrawal before, I was puking blood at one point... if you really wanna quit hang in there, it took me about 3 weeks I guess... but besides being on somewhat high doses of ativan for over a year, at the end I took a massive overdose (60 mg), then a week later took an even more massive overdose of xanax (118 mg)... this would prob be the cause of the puking blood... it started about 4 days after the xanax od. Needless to say I wasn't even able to stand up for several days... lost all feeling in my right leg for about 36 hours or so, and when I finally did get on my feet the shaking was really bad. I had both visual and auditory hallucinations that lasted over about a week after the shaking had calmed down... I was literally in my own world, only later I found out that alot of the **** I "imagined" hadn't happened (I thought a close friend had died during my hallucinations)... Actually after the shakes stopped, I quite enjoyed it... I guess that's because I've always loved hallucinogens and have done huge amounts of acid and dust in the past.

I stayed off of benzos for about 6 months i guess... now I'm back to about 2 mg of xanax daily... which is of course increasing to keep feeling the effects [xx(]

ajustice4u is offline New Member

I recently quit taking oxy/hydrocodone after being a just about daily user of about 6+ months. I also went through something that what i thought was the flu, even went to the dr and got antibiotics. The more I find out, seems like I was in WD's. Maybe its the same for Xans also...it has taken me about 3 weeks to start feeling better, no more body pain, headaches, etc. Hang in there...good luck!

AGirlThatHurts is offline New Member

im in my third day of xanax withdrawl. sweaty, worst headache ever, and cant sleep. im afraid to tell anyone, even my doctor, because i have lied to her (along with many others) to get drugs prescribed to me. i didnt even know i was addicted to xanax until a few days ago, when the familiar withdrawl symptoms crept up on me. i had the same withdrawl symptoms from taking lexapro for two years, except this time there is alot of numbness in my limbs and face. its been at least two months straight of eating those things, every single day, sometimes in excess of 10 mgs a day, because i liked the nightmares it gave me at night. and now i cant sleep at all. i have spent so much $$$ on this stuff, disguising my need for it as 'anxiety'. i know i need help, but i am too scared to say anything. i didnt even see this coming-i had always taken them here and there for the hell of it, and now its ruined so many things much like the hydrocodone addiction i had before this. any thoughts anyone??

RoC1909 is offline Member

I am really sorry to hear about the addictions all. I am facing a "uphill battle" with a 20-30 Norco a day addiction myself. The first thing I would recommend is that you tell your doctor the truth. That you want to get off of these meds. He can prescribe some drugs that might make the withdrawls for "comfortable" (that is if there is such thing as comfortable withdrawls).

For my Norco withdrawls I was given Ativan, Lonox, Hydroxyzine and just this morning Clonodine. I took a Ativan last night and about "climb the walls". It was a really uncomfortable feeling so I went back in and he prescribed Clonodine. This is a drug that lowers blood pressure but form some reason (the other medical uses line), it helps with withdrawls. I do not know if this might help but it's a start.

The first thing that you need to do is tell the doctor of your situation. I know it sounds scary BUT your doctor should show compassion since this sort of addiction happens to many of us EVEN, the one's who thought it could never happen to. Good luck and I hope you can kick this habit and start living life to it's fullest. It's going to be a serious battle for all (even me since it's only been 24 hours since I had my last Norco) but with your doctor, family and loyal friends, there is nothing you can't so.

J

Templeton is offline New Member

If you have only been on Xanax for a couple of months, you may be a bit shakey and nervous, but try to hang in there. Xanax, a benzodiazapine, has some of the worst withdrawls on the planet, including seizures, coma and death.
    If you can stay off of them now, for good, do it. Stopping just gets harder. For long term users it takes about 1 month for every year you were taking it to feel "normal" again. Taking as directed or more
    of the drug will get the same bad results. Just try to hang in there and don't take any more. I don't know your history, but if the Xanax for 2 months is all you are dealing with, you should not have too hard of a time. Good Luck

Templeton is offline New Member

I know it is really hard to do, but you should talk to your doctor
    ASAP. Benzo's, esp. Xanax are extremely dangerous and hard to come off of. Withdrawl can cause seizures, coma and death in some cases.
    Your doctor will be able to advise you on what steps to take and meds that can help. Neurontin is one. It's hard for addicts because they tend to self-medicate and replace one drug for another.
    Your doctor can not legally disclose ANY of your medical info to anyone without your written consent. Check HIPPA laws. Also, if you have a seizure and are taken to the hospital, the ER will do a standard U/A Tox screen, then you may go to ICU and your family may be advised of what caused your problems.I do not want to scare you but I don't want you to get hurt. Do not be ashamed for wanting to get help. People get hooked by taking the prescribed amount of Benzo's and Pain meds and may need a medically supervised detox.
    Doses Benzo's and Pain meds must keep increasing to remain effective, and that's the problem even in non-addicts. Also, if you can get into a Detox/Rehab, HIPPA still applies and they can not even confirm or disclose your admission to anyone. With Xanax, the seizure risk and the acute withdrawl is gone after 5 or 6 days, however you will have some symptoms for several months.
    Hang in There-

morninglory is offline Junior Member

Hi sfc420, hope you are OK by now. I have been taking 2mg. of Xanax for almost 10 years for panic attacks and anxiety. I don't ever want to be without one of my "lifesavers", as I call them. I don't know about the rest of you but I can barely cope with the stress of daily life (due to a LOT of trauma in my past) and I can't see the problem with taking this medication as prescribed. My problem: My family doctor retired and I have not been able to find another one who will prescribe the 2mg. dosage. (They seem to be scared to death that the FDA will find out that they are prescribing a legal medication!). I have been trying to wean myself from 2mg., I'm down to 1/2 of a "bar" per day, taken morning and afternoon. Also, I have no medical insurance and some doctors will not even see a person without health coverage! Outrageous, the people in Iraq are getting medications and lots of born-in-the-USA people cannot!

zeukii is offline New Member

Dear sfc420, You've asked a question that the general public, including myself, just about all the time find's out the hard way. Let's get to the bare bones here. Going 'cold turkey' from benzo's ESPECIALLY alprazolam is a very, VERY bad idea. There is info out there but it seem's SO hard to find....that going cold turkey can and will cause Grand Mal Seizure's. Going it alone has a FORTY PERCENT mortality rate and LISTEN..without medical assistance. Of ALL the benzo's, Xanax (alprazolam) in particular, is the most INSIDIOUS.
    I'll be as brief as I possibly can. Was never big on coke but loved smack and owning a pharmacy kept me feeling alright, normal, not once feeling drug deprived. It was like being a kid in a candy store...EVERY DAY!!I'll correct myself here. I did do the pharmacuetical coke that came into the store. Listen up people. The >>>> out there on the street bares absolutely NO resemblance to the REAL thing. It's LIKE NOTHING anyone has ever had the 'good fortune' to do. No craving's. No paranoia. It looks like the purely driven snow. It sparlkes. Simpley put, it's mezmerizing. If you ever did the 'real ' thing you'd never go back to that 'baking soda' on the street.
    Sfc420,Know this if you should want to know anything. Of all the drug's and I do mean ALL....BENZO'S, they'll kill you if you to try to go a benzo withdrawal. I mean kill you!
    I quit a ten year smack habit all alone. I rented a cabin on Plum Island for thirty day's. I lay in my own puke ,**** , and vomit for two weeks. The other two weeks I slowly recovered. I say this because of all the bad ass drug's out there , there are some that will KILL you if you go cold turkey...and the ONLY drug of all the drugs that need assistance to extricate form are all the BENZO'S.
    You say you are on a small amount, which is good, rather then your chances of ridding yourself of something that just grows out of control. Ask any proffesional RN, MD. Going cold turkey without help can kill you. I don't know why. I don't understand the brains chemistry. I don't understand why one person get's by like nothing ever even happen while other's die. I will tell you this. No matter what the drug, there isn't a one that will leave you unscathed. Withdrawal SUCK'S.
    Spc420 You are not alone but know this. It can be done. Having some troubles? Get some help. I would say "It won't kill you", but in this case it could. Again. Of ALL the drugs and I do mean ALL the drugs...benzo's will kill you without help. I'm not trying to preach. It just seems to me that this subject has never been addressed before as far as I can see. Spc420, you are in my thought's and prayers.
    Check this out:http://www.geocities.com/benzobusters/xanaxbusters1.htm

Hi, I'm new here too. Does ANYONE here take medications for a specific condition or do ya'll just take them for the high? Sorry to be so cryptic but I have had GAD and panic attacks for a long time and have been in psychotherapy, have seen an actual phychiarist
    (sorry about the spelling!), etc. ad nauseum. I don't abuse my meds;
    if anything, I don't take them as prescribed (2mg. twice a day). I try to get by with 1/2 or 1/3 of a bar unless the stress is unusually bad. I don't want to quit taking them altogether because I realize that I am never going to be free of panic disorder. I hope you people who are trying to quit Xanax altogether know to TAPER DOWN every two weeks or so. That is the only way to do it. Good luck to all of you.

Betsy

goodeboy99 is offline New Member

I've been taking Xanax for three years and Lexapro for four. Not for recreation, for GAD and panic disorder. I just started weening off the Xanax and I have to re-iterate what everyone is saying...YOU CANT GO COLD TURKEY!! talk to your doctor. Go down to the next level dose very slowly then down again....until youre finally done. I'll be weening for probably a year and you still get withdrawal (not too intense tho) but its by far much better than cold turkey.

ryddle is offline New Member

that guy who talked about a 40 percent mortality rate is full of himself.. don't listen to people who make up figures like that it is absolutely obsurd. the fact of the matter is that 75% of the withdrawal is mental.. yes there is a slight.. and i mean slight risk of having a seizure which could lead to a coma or death.. but we are talking less than 1% here.. ive been on 4mg of xanax for 6 years and quit after a 3 week weening process.. yea its hard as hell.. i have migranes.. i feel like im going crazy, im having nightmares and trouble sleeping, i sweat and have a lot of anxiety, i have the jitters really bad.. but these are all normal things.. people can try to scare you out of trying to quit xanax by saying things like that.. and it just is not true what he said.. not in the least bit. now im not saying its easy, i know first hand how damn hard this little pill is to quit, but i want control of my life back and that's that. every single day i encourage myself with the thought of soon i will be in total control of my life without this pill.. and it drives me to keep going.. if your a few days in then DONT GIVE UP!!! keep reaching for your goal. i know how hard it is but im right there with you. its hour by hour for me. and don't take another pill to help you quit a pill.. thats like an alcoholic saying "well im just going to switch brands of beer to help me quit" thats nuts and will not work. will power your way through this and dont give into the fear. if you can beat this then you can do ANYTHING in life... i mean that. take your control back. goodluck and feel free to email me with any questions.

gator7 is offline New Member

I have to say that benzo's are very dangerous and difficult to get off. I was c/t off of 3mg of klonopin back in 2002 and almost died. I went through 4 months of sheer torment until I was reinstated back on. I had the most horrific symptoms that don't occur when withdrawing from other drugs. This is the only class of drugs that are so hard to get off of. It takes time for the brain to heal and make GABA which is lacking or nil. The recovery period varies from person to person and also the symptoms. I am doing a water titration method that allows you to make your cuts as small as needed. The key is to go low and slow. This is nothing to take lightly. I want my life back also, but rushing this can put in misery for years. I pray for everyone trying to fight this battle. I am an RN and had no idea the horrors of withdrawl. I am doing the best I can and if it gets to bad I will have to stop until I have the strengh to continue. Gator.

c/t off 3mg of klonopin in 2002-almost died. Reinstated 4 months later and doing a very slow taper.

Withdrawing from benzo's is not mostly a mental deal. The brain goes into disinhibition and as it controls all of our bodily functions, everything goes haywire. GABA is the neurotransmittor of calmness, sanity etc and when you don't have it, you feel like you are going insane. I paced and rocked for almost 4 months after going c/t. I literally didnot sleep either. I had to stay with my mom who had to feed me as I had no coordination and shook so bad. I felt like I was walking on cotton, had derealization, visual and auditory hallucinations just to name afew. There is no mind over matter that will make the withdrawls subside. The brain has to upregulate the GABA and that takes time. Gator. I suggest anyone who c/t's reinstate and stabilize. Then, a slow taper can be done.

c/t off 3mg of klonopin in 2002-almost died. Reinstated 4 months later and doing a very slow taper.

quote:Originally posted by gator7

I have to say that benzo's are very dangerous and difficult to get off. I was c/t off of 3mg of klonopin back in 2002 and almost died. I went through 4 months of sheer torment until I was reinstated back on. I had the most horrific symptoms that don't occur when withdrawing from other drugs. This is the only class of drugs that are so hard to get off of. It takes time for the brain to heal and make GABA which is lacking or nil. The recovery period varies from person to person and also the symptoms. I am doing a water titration method that allows you to make your cuts as small as needed. The key is to go low and slow. This is nothing to take lightly. I want my life back also, but rushing this can put in misery for years. I pray for everyone trying to fight this battle. I am an RN and had no idea the horrors of withdrawl. I am doing the best I can and if it gets to bad I will have to stop until I have the strengh to continue. Gator.

Betsy

Gator7, I tried to reply with your quote but messed up somehow! Anyway, I know what you are going through. I am trying to cut down from 2mg. of Xanax (generic) and it is VERY difficult! I have had panic attacks with GAD for years but I am trying to cut down to where I only take a piece when I really need it. (But boy, I seem to need it every day! (LOL). I also quit caffeine, thinking that would make me less jittery; well, it did but now I just d-r-a-g through the days, with little energy. I am probably going to go back to 1/2 decaf & 1/2 regular for my morning coffee. My life partner, Bill, is also tapering off Xanax but he is having a terrible time. He's very short-tempered lately and just wants to be left alone. He says he is quitting altogether. We'll see. Good Luck!:-)

Betsy

Betsy, xanax is very difficult to withdraw from as it is 20 times stronger than valium and it has a very short half-life. Klonopin is as strong as xanax, but it has a longer half-life. I made 2 cuts in 2 weeks like a fool and had to back up my dose abit. It is a very tricky thing to get off of these. There are times when I want to give up myself and I will if it gets to be too taxing on my system.
    You might want to try a water titration and I will be glad to assist you if you like. I know the pain of getting off of these c/t and now slow tapering. I will be praying for you. God Bless. Gator. {Sue}

younggun38 is offline New Member

I was on 2mg a day of xanax for about 8 months,then i decided i was going to kill myself so i took an overdose.I took about 30mgs of xanax.I then got scared and was taken to the emergency room,where i got my stomach pumped(not fun).This left me without any more xanax so i did not have any choice but to stop cold turkey.Three days after stopping i had a grand mal seizure while driving with my wife and son in the vehicle.We were all lucky not to have any serious injuries since it totaled the vehicle.Stopping xanax cold turkey is not a good idea,because i am proof that withdrawal from xanax can cause a seizure.It has been about a week after the seizure and now i feel fine without the xanax.Please be careful and slowly wean yourself off the xanax with your doctors approval.

Younggun38, you were certainly lucky that no one was injured when you had the seizure. I am presently down to a 1/4 of a 2mg. Xanax most days (if I have a lot of anxiety I sometimes take another 1/4).
    My boyfriend has tapered down from 2mg. a day to 1/4 but he is having a rough time (he also is drinking more beer!). I may have to be on some kind of anti-anxiety medication for the rest of my life due to so much trauma in my past (no matter what anyone says it is not easy to let go of your past-it is always there somewhere in the back of your mind!). Good luck to you, good to know that coming off a medication can be done if done properly.

Betsy

seamellow is offline New Member

Getting off of Xanax was the hardest thing I've ever done! It's been 14 years, and it took me 1 1/2 years until I was okay. After 8 1/2 years on it for an anxiety disorder, I was taking 8 mg. every day at the end. Dr Alex Stalcup took me down on phenobarbitol, and other doctors switched me to librium (tapering down) for a very few months. My fiance, and a group who were doing it too helped alot for support. A year into it I lost sleep for 22 days! The mental health unit knew me well, visit after visit, and NO ONE understands the gamut of symptoms, or the longevity of withdrawls! They have all been lied to, tests have been falsified, and not a single person knows a thing about it, unless they've done it themselves!!(When I researched it, expert after expert were completely full of ****!!!) You need an antidepressant, and doxepin helps for sleep. Also lots of hot showers, working out, someone who loves you unconditionally, and you've got to want it more than anything you've ever done! This was analogous to a frightening LSD accidental overdose I had 20 years earlier,(someone snuck it into a jug of cider), only it lasts well over a year!!

M Lewis is offline New Member

Been taking Xanx for 14 years, Have ran my self out a bunch of times. Some of my friends have suffered a minor hear atack from cold turky. My self I have found thst the first day is 0 sleep and only 1-3 hour sleep a day after that. Also found that ALL my sense were applified (hearing, sigh, ect. BUT as for how long does it to take to get past the with draw I have found that after the first 72 hours thing start to look a little better each day and takes me around 3 weeks to fell " Normal " again

I was the quickest in a group to become okay enough to work again, after 1 1/2 years off xanax. The longer you're on it, the harder/longer it is to get off. It's hard to believe anyone would be okay in just weeks?... There are times you are much better than others, and it's good to relish in those moments! But many symptoms keep coming back, especially at certain times...for me I would be the worst at about 11 p.m. for some reason. I would jump into a hot shower for a little relief. Talking to someone who cares helps. What helped me the most was getting out riding my bike, (unless you're in a panic) >starting out just around the block, and further, eventually up to 17 miles. The more active you are, I believe helps you get healthier, much quicker! Most people isolate, and don't do much. Be brave! This expedites (speeds up) the return of a healthy brain/body!

Seamellow, good for you, exercising is one great way to get healthier in both mind and body. I am down to 1/4 of a 2mg. Xanax per day and am going for "zero" soon. However, I will always keep some around in case of a panic attack. My doctor also has me on 12.5 mg. of Paxil CR, which seems to be helping with the anxiety, although I didn't want to replace one drug with another. I also try to get some exercise daily (I do housekeeping for elderly/disabled persons and the sweeping/mopping etc. gets me some form of activity). I plan to start walking this spring, when the weather is warmer. Continued good luck to you - persevere!

Betsy

It's been (I'm proud to say) 14 yrs. since kicking xanax, and at this point I keep emergency valium around in case I melt down! No one respects benzos more than me, to take ONLY IN EMERGENCY MAYBE ONCE A WEEK, since it took 1 1/2 years after quitting to be okay, and back working. Putting 2.5mg under your tongue gives almost instant results, a lesser amount than needed orally, same as in xanax, etc. THE FIRST FIVE YEARS I TOOK NO BENZOS OR ALCOHOL!! They tend to extend withdrawls/retard the return to health. An antidepressant is necessary to get through. Switching to librium to come down/off is also known to be a smoother transition. Exercise is number one!! I am here to help/encourage people to conquer the addiction....Larry

Bench is offline New Member

I dont understand why your docter would just take you off cold turky. After reading all the other posts maybe I have forgeten and you dont get them from a docter. I would imagine they would gradully cut the dosage down. At one time I was weened off of Oxycontin and it just took a week, no with draws and I am very opiod tolerant. At the minumum I was taking 240mg per day. Either you are not doing things right or your docter doesnt know what he is doing. I am currently on 6-8mg of xanax and 240mg of oxycontin per day. I see my pain docter on monday so the main med might change or increase because it is not helping much.

-Bench

Bench: How can you say I,(or my doctor),am doing things wrong, when I am the one who is NOT addicted, and YOU are?! I am writing on this thread to help others beat the addiction!.... You're currently addicted to xanax and oxicontin, and I take maybe one 2.5 mg valium at the most once a week, sometimes once a month!I went five years without any benzos/addictive drugs! Yeah, it's better to cut down if you can, and gradually go off. I've NEVER met anyone who has successfully done it! I detail the exact protocol that worked for me. I think YOU and YOUR DOCTOR are the ones that need questioning!!I have never met a doctor, or an addict that wasn't full of ****!

PyraLynne is offline New Member

Hello All:

I was recently prescribed Xanax about 2 weeks ago. .5mg 3times daily. I cannot even function when taking that dosage. I cannot imagine having a higher one. I only take them when I feel the anxiety coming on. This all started due to heart palpitations. A Nurse prescribed me 90 of them over the phone, w/o even seeing me, let alone my actual doctor. After readin all of these posts I am actually experiencing an anxiety attack right now. This scares me as well. I feel like I want to take a couple pills to calm down but then I dont want to become addicted, mentally or physically.

My whole reason for joining this board was to ask what side effects are of Xanax and I was wondering if a bloody nose was one. I never have bloody noses, not even as a child but all day my nose has been bleeding and clotting nonstop. I guess if all I have is a bloody nose im best off to blame it on the california wacky weather and not medication. Obviously there are far more serious side effects and the withdrawls just scare me out of my mind.

I wish all of you who are attempting to ease yourself off of the xanax the best of luck. My whole family is against me taking this and my girlfriend wants my pills (she used to take 2mg all day long, like candy). I wont be giving her any. I will be seeing my doctor tomorrow and discuss with her another alternative. I am also seeking counseling. All I need now is to become addicted to these and add more problems to my life for me and my daughter.

Ive rambled enough but once again....GOOD LUCK too all of you!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast