Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
Tramadol for depression
    Heather43 is offline New Member

Default Hello

I too am on the Tramadol bandwagon for depression. I have told doctors for twenty years that the anti depresants (and i mean I tried them all!) Made me feel worse,tired and MORE Suicidal and all they would do is up my dose time and time again they would not listen it was so very frustrating.. And now years later there is a dissclaimer on those commercial "May increase suicidal thoughts!!!"
    I drank beer to self medicate. I thought I was an alcaholic. Then I tried Ultram and not only did my crave for alcahol go away COLD TURKEY but I was happy, motivated and productive and NOT high people...
    I mentioned it to my Phsyciatrist more than 3 years ago that I was taking it and she understood why..She just said she could no perscribe it beacause its not approved by the FDA so my insurance wont cover it. I have to pay for it every month off the internet and its not cheap. So frustrating to have coverage but wont cover this.
    After 3 years on it..it still "works for me" but my tolerance has really built up..Het guys yout tolerance will build up in any medication you take. Yes I feel normal on it..Yes I have had the withdawls when I could not afford it and it was aweful.. AWEFUL..Hell.. I dread it. When my pills get low I panic..
    Just have to say that Tramadol took a depressed single mother of three kicked her in the ass and got her out of bed when nothing else would.. I mean nothing...
    More reasearch has got to be done.. And we all are different..what works for one or a hundred brains may not or will not work on the other one or hundred.
    The medical peeps have got to do more studies and help us folks with legalizing or manufacturing something that gets those transmitters up and running... To the one guy who wrote and said he's willing to try anything and is severley depressed.. I get it.. been there..try the Tramadol..addiction or not, life is to short to spend it in bed.
    XO

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heather43 View Post
    I too am on the Tramadol bandwagon for depression. I have told doctors for twenty years that the anti depresants (and i mean I tried them all!) Made me feel worse,tired and MORE Suicidal and all they would do is up my dose time and time again they would not listen it was so very frustrating.. And now years later there is a dissclaimer on those commercial "May increase suicidal thoughts!!!"
    I drank beer to self medicate. I thought I was an alcaholic. Then I tried Ultram and not only did my crave for alcahol go away COLD TURKEY but I was happy, motivated and productive and NOT high people...
    I mentioned it to my Phsyciatrist more than 3 years ago that I was taking it and she understood why..She just said she could no perscribe it beacause its not approved by the FDA so my insurance wont cover it. I have to pay for it every month off the internet and its not cheap. So frustrating to have coverage but wont cover this.
    After 3 years on it..it still "works for me" but my tolerance has really built up..Het guys yout tolerance will build up in any medication you take. Yes I feel normal on it..Yes I have had the withdawls when I could not afford it and it was aweful.. AWEFUL..Hell.. I dread it. When my pills get low I panic..
    Just have to say that Tramadol took a depressed single mother of three kicked her in the ass and got her out of bed when nothing else would.. I mean nothing...
    More reasearch has got to be done.. And we all are different..what works for one or a hundred brains may not or will not work on the other one or hundred.
    The medical peeps have got to do more studies and help us folks with legalizing or manufacturing something that gets those transmitters up and running... To the one guy who wrote and said he's willing to try anything and is severley depressed.. I get it.. been there..try the Tramadol..addiction or not, life is to short to spend it in bed.
    XO
    Hi Heather,

I was really interested in your post. I'm coming at this from both sides, sort of...being that I suffer from major depression but have also had monstrous experiences with opiate addiction. I am fortunate that the SSRIs give me enough improvement to be pretty normal.

Thinking about your post, I had a question. Have you ever used any other opiates or opioids for depression other than tramadol? I'd be curious to know what your experience was if so. Would love to hear from you.

Maisie

agrubsi is offline New Member

Default tramadol verses depression

Quote Originally Posted by Steve53 View Post
    I am new to this forum posting so hope I am doing ok, pressing the right buttons. Well anyway is there anyone out there who takes Tramadol purely for depression. A pal gave me a strip when I had a bad back and I found they were the best thing since sliced bread. When my back got better I carried on takeing them to treat my depression. I have been on them about a year now. I have taken many anti-depressants over the years but non have worked anywhere near as well as tramadol. They have been life transforming for me. I do treat them with caution and every so often will come off for three or four days when I will suffer mild opiate type withdrawal effects and then go back. I do not need to take more than Two 50mg caps per day and there is no need for me to increase the dose. I have not built up a tolerance to them, which I susspect would have been the case had the opiate effect been responsible for my mood enhancement. I have lots more energy and enthusiasm . I am aware that tramadol is prescribed primarily as a painkiller that acts on the same receptors as opiates but less so, hence the belief it is less addictive than most opiate type drugs, which I do believe. I have taken opiate drugs in the past so I no what an opiate buzz feels like and what I get from Tramadol isn’t that. It did not take me long to work out that something else was going on here, so I looked up tramadol for depression and found that it is indeed recognized as having anti-depressant qualities, not because of the opiate element but for its effect on serotonin, and more importantly its effect on noradrenalin. Tramadol has a weak effect on serotonin uptake but a strong effect on noradrenalin something the SSRIs don’t have. I deduced from this that it might be a noradrenalin deficiency in my case as opposed to serotonin. And a noradrenalin specific medicine might be the answer to my depression. Noradrenalin Reuptake Inhibitors (NNRIs) are apparently under used in the treatment of depression as they are relatively new medicines. Reboxetine (Edronax) being one of them is banned in the USA, but nobody can find out why. However there must be others that do the same job which the US has granted a licence for. Hear in the UK it is allowed and I hope this medicine could replace my Tramadol as I don’t need the pain killing effect tramadol offers. I have spoken to my doctor but here only a psychiatrist can prescribe Reboxetine, so I am waiting to find out if I can get it prescribed. If SSRIs are having little beneficial effects your problem might not be serotonin related at all it could be a Noradrenalin Defisiancy in which case NNRIs and not SSRIs might work best for you, hope you find this of some interest, I am not advocating anybody takes tramadol for depression but it worked for me and I think maybe gave me a pointer towards lack of noradrenalin as my problem. Have to wait and see. best wishes to you all. Steve
    Hi, my name is Renata. I'm 65 years old. when my husband died of cancer some years ago my GP prescribed Amitryptylene , it helped to find a little sleep at night but my depression carried on. At times i felt so bad that i stayed im bed all day. When visiting my Auntie in Germany i had to visit her GP for a painful hip , he prescribed Tramadol, and guess what, i feel great My depression has gone. I now can do anything i used to do I've been on Tramadol for 2 years now. The only worry is that i have to get the drug from the Internet which is very expencive + i dont think my Doctor would let me have Tramadol. Please can anyone let me know a way how i can obtain Tramadol ? I look forward to hearing from you.

mcaley114 is offline New Member

Default be careful

Hi Renata,
    Just wanted to share with you. You can get Tramadol or Ultram from any "Canadian Pharmacy" on the web. I am on here because I decided to stop after a year of taking it and needed help because I thought I was dying after I stopped . Imagine having the worst flu for 10 days straight. I am now on day 15 and still get very dizzy and have a hard time concentrating. I have been praying and reading my bible to get me through it. I actually have a positive outlook on life like someone who cheated death. I feel happy most of the time just because I feel so much better than I did two weeks ago.
    I dont know if that deters you any, because I will say when I was on the Tramadol life seemed great all the time. My brothers and mother have all been diagnosed for depression, so I know it is in me somewhere. So I do know where you are coming from. I am not a bible pusher, but prayer does work! I will be praying for you!
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MaisieC View Post
    Hi Heather,

I was really interested in your post. I'm coming at this from both sides, sort of...being that I suffer from major depression but have also had monstrous experiences with opiate addiction. I am fortunate that the SSRIs give me enough improvement to be pretty normal.

Thinking about your post, I had a question. Have you ever used any other opiates or opioids for depression other than tramadol? I'd be curious to know what your experience was if so. Would love to hear from you.

Maisie
    Hey there Maisie...if you have something that works already that's great. I have taken Ultram its the same and also morphene but that gets you high. The Tramadol takes away the anxiety and makes me want to be productive again. The basic anti depressants are just not good for me at all.
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Heather43 View Post
    Hey there Maisie...if you have something that works already that's great. I have taken Ultram its the same and also morphene but that gets you high. The Tramadol takes away the anxiety and makes me want to be productive again. The basic anti depressants are just not good for me at all.
    Heather
    Hi Heather,

So you've taken morphine for the depression and gotten high...but the tramadol doesn't make you high? I'm just trying to understand your experience, because I'm trying to understand this drug.

I found no difference between tramadol and the other opiates/opiods I've used. I get high, develop a dependence, become addicted, and have a hideous time with them. In my experience, the tramadol has some very slightly different effects from the others, and is much worse to come off of, but they're basically all the same to me.

So you're saying the trams didn't make you high?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Hi Heather,

So you've taken morphine for the depression and gotten high...but the tramadol doesn't make you high? I'm just trying to understand your experience, because I'm trying to understand this drug.

I found no difference between tramadol and the other opiates/opiods I've used. I get high, develop a dependence, become addicted, and have a hideous time with them. In my experience, the tramadol has some very slightly different effects from the others, and is much worse to come off of, but they're basically all the same to me.

So you're saying the trams didn't make you high?

I'm with you Maisie. Why would anyone take the tramadol in the beginning in lieu of taking one of the opiate medications if they didn't get the euphoric effects? That doesn't make sense to me. I was always looking for a buzz regardless of which pain med I was taking. I'm curious to see the answer to your question too. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I'm with you Maisie. Why would anyone take the tramadol in the beginning in lieu of taking one of the opiate medications if they didn't get the euphoric effects? That doesn't make sense to me. I was always looking for a buzz regardless of which pain med I was taking. I'm curious to see the answer to your question too. God bless.

Happy Easter, Robert.

I'm just finding this very interesting, because my problem started when I was given Prozac for depression and became euphoric from it. I was very, very depressed, and my doctor said it was not uncommon for people in my situation to have that response to an SSRI. But it doesn't last, and he cautioned me against "chasing the high." But of course I did chase the high. It's hard not to, especially if you're terrified of slipping into suicidal depression. Unfortunately, this experience coincided with my having a close friendship with a woman who was a major junkie and more than happy to supply my wants.

So I guess I'm still thinking about all the differences between "high" and "happy enough." I'm NOT contemplating ever using again, because that was a DISASTER for me. But the whole thing interests me, particularly that compulsion we have to use, even when we know that the high is no good anymore and we're destroying our lives.

Heather, I don't mean to get all heavy about this, but I am an addict and opiates are no good for me. I really am genuinely interested in your experiences. Thanks for sharing them.

Happy Easter, Robert.

I'm just finding this very interesting, because my problem started when I was given Prozac for depression and became euphoric from it. I was very, very depressed, and my doctor said it was not uncommon for people in my situation to have that response to an SSRI. But it doesn't last, and he cautioned me against "chasing the high." But of course I did chase the high. It's hard not to, especially if you're terrified of slipping into suicidal depression. Unfortunately, this experience coincided with my having a close friendship with a woman who was a major junkie and more than happy to supply my wants.

So I guess I'm still thinking about all the differences between "high" and "happy enough." I'm NOT contemplating ever using again, because that was a DISASTER for me. But the whole thing interests me, particularly that compulsion we have to use, even when we know that the high is no good anymore and we're destroying our lives.

Heather, I don't mean to get all heavy about this, but I am an addict and opiates are no good for me. I really am genuinely interested in your experiences. Thanks for sharing them.

Happy Easter to you too Maisie. We've had a great weekend, enjoyed the services immensely.

I'm like you in that sometimes I might sound a little heavy or dramatic on here but this business of staying clean IS serious. I can't use either even after a pretty long time clean.

I had something cool happen yesterday that was a first for me. Stan on another thread brought up the metallic taste/smell one gets when detoxing from opiates. It's been long enough since I got high on them that I had forgotten that taste/smell. I guess that is a good sign that I finally have been clean long enough that I had forgotten something about using. I am very grateful for that and don't intend on EVER blowing it again. Don't ever want to have to go through all the pain of getting clean again. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

To all..The bottom line is the search for something to get us out of bed and be interested in living our lives again. You would most likely try anything. I was worried about my son seeing me sleep all day. My ex boyfreind had the pain killers and I tried several different ones. I was never given it for pain. First off Tramadol is not an opiate its synthetic and Morphene is an opiate. You asked why would I take Tramadol if I did not get high? You clearly have not experienced severe depression, tried everything on the market that was avialable to treat it and Nothing I mean NOTHING worked. Like I said our brains are not all the same. Ultram is a stimulant for me so is alcohol. They have the reverse affect. Thats why I drank before I took ultram so I could be productive self medicating. I no longer drink or have the desire.The anti's made me sleep all the time and contemplate suicide. I was hospitalized a few times for this. I could not even speak because my receptors were not communicating. I just mumbled and could not raise my head..what a pretty picture.
    On the Ultram and Tramadol note I know that Tramadol is generic for Ultram but I see a difference in the two. Has anyone lost weight on Tramadol? Also can you share were you get yours. One person said canaidian pharmacy but did you join there site to get meds at a lower price?? In regard to detox and comming off Tram I agree its Hell, I stated this before. When I get low on my pills I start to panic. You should be about done if your on day 15 I know cough medicine will help you sleep at night if your not sleeping just to take the edge off the anxiety. Yes you think your going to die when you go through whidrawls but like I said before and others say its a price you pay..there is addiction with all medications.. At least this one allows you to live and not be a Zombie. If your off it, you didnt need it and your prob not as severe in the brain neurons as us others are.
    H

What I meant to ask was has anyone noticed a difference between Ultram and Tramadol ...Has anyone lost weight on ULTRAM not tramadol. I would appreciate anyone knowing the difference between the two. I realize Tram is th generic version of Ultram however, I do not feel they are the same..Anyone else?
    As far as a high you asked?? If you mean a get up and go? Then I guess so... I'm not chasing a high though, I am chasing energy and interest and feeling "Normal"
    H

bjorkyorke is offline New Member

I am so glad I found this thread. I have been telling people for months about Tramadol and my own issues with it and nobody seems to understand what I am getting at. To make long story short, my experience is very similiar to others in regards to Tramadol- I had depression....took anti-depressants..they didn't work...had back pain....got Tramadol...no more depression. I have been taking 100mg [sometimes 150] about 4 to 5 days a week for years. I am very aware of stories of people taking 8 pills a day and I do not want to become some kind of Tramadol junkie. But the thing works fantasticaly!! I mean I have energy, a positive attitude, a new lease on life. I am usually very moody and prone to bad bouts of depression. Have been since birth. It runs in my family...both my parents have been diagnosed with depression and are taking medication. But I realize Tramadol is prescribed for mild to severe pain. This is the problem. People think we take Tramadol to get high because it's a pain killer. My mother wants me to get on medication for depression and I tell her I have found something that works. But she gets hung up on the fact it's a pain killer. Here's the thing- if pain killers get you high, then why don't mothers get addicted after childbirth? Why don't people to take Tramadol become addicted? I know several people who have tried Tramadol and they said it didn't do anything for them. Whay does that tell you? It tells me that the folks that have benefitted from Tramadol have a particular body chemistry that it responds too. If it works then it works. I would hate to get off this for a 'true' depression medication that doesn't work as well. What's the point to that? I know the risks of abusing opiate meds, but there are risks with everything you take. My mother takes 'true' anti depressants and admittedly would fall into deep depression if she doesn't take her meds. Isn't that the risk they are talking about with Tramadol? What's the point then by signalling out Tramadol's as a risk. They are all risks.

bottom line- find out what works for you and use common sense...ten pills a day of anything is bad for you. ask your doctor if ten aspirins a day is bad for you

jessietjo is offline New Member

Smile Tramadol for depression

I am glad Tramadol is working well with you. I have been on Faverin (Fluvoxamine) for 3 months. It works great. The only problem is, now that I feel great, I want to stop it. I tried taking half a tablet (25 mg) but found I couldn't sleep well. I googled it, only to find that Faverin has withdrawal symtoms. Then I discovered that Amoryn exists. I kicked myself for not discovering it earlier. But better late than never. Now I have to ask my psychiatrist if he'll allow me to switch to Amoryn. I should have learnt to google things before making decisions.

confusedvette is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I agree that everyone needs to be careful taking any medications especially those that can be addictive if abused. But the person you are replying to has only taken tramadol for four days if you read the posts. I don't know if we should be automatically saying they should "put the brakes on" now while they are able.

Some people are prescribed medications because they actually should have the prescription. It's not really our place to tell someone on a medication for four days that they shouldn't be taking it. We are not drs here. There are no indications here of abuse or anything negative. This person just asked a question about posting or starting a new thread.
    I started tramadol a week ago and I can already feel that it can be addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by confusedvette View Post
    I started tramadol a week ago and I can already feel that it can be addictive.

anything that makes a person feel better is theoretically going to be addictive. Are you the kind of person who would eat 400mg of Tramadol a day? I just asked a new doctor I am seeing if there is an anti-depressant drug than works on the noradrenaline and not the serotonin. This could very well be the smoking gun we are all looking for. The opiate part of the drug may not be needed, thus simply eliminate the opiate/pain reliever and keep whatever is responding to the noradrenaline. I am no doctor, but if we all are getting 'high' off the opiate, then explain why some take Tramadol and it does nothing for them. Surely if somebody takes oxycodone, they feel something. I have actually heard people say they feel nothing when taking Tramadol. But we certainly do. This is interesting to me. Maybe the people who feel nothing taking Tramadol have adequate amounts of noardrenaline? If it's the opiate then I would be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by jessietjo View Post
    I am glad Tramadol is working well with you. I have been on Faverin (Fluvoxamine) for 3 months. It works great. The only problem is, now that I feel great, I want to stop it. I tried taking half a tablet (25 mg) but found I couldn't sleep well. I googled it, only to find that Faverin has withdrawal symtoms. Then I discovered that Amoryn exists. I kicked myself for not discovering it earlier. But better late than never. Now I have to ask my psychiatrist if he'll allow me to switch to Amoryn. I should have learnt to google things before making decisions.

isn't Amoryn St John Wort?? That stuff does nothing chemically. It's one of those drugs that works psychologically more than literally. If you feel better taking Amoryl, then what does it matter. But I remember a pharmacist laughing his ### off when I asked him about St Johns Wort. He said it actually does nothing to enhance a mood. It's the equivalent to eating chocolate makes you happy. Taking an aspirin to heal a broken leg. If it seams to be working, then God Bless. It's a miracle allright.

Quote Originally Posted by bjorkyorke View Post
    isn't Amoryn St John Wort?? That stuff does nothing chemically. It's one of those drugs that works psychologically more than literally. If you feel better taking Amoryl, then what does it matter. But I remember a pharmacist laughing his ### off when I asked him about St Johns Wort. He said it actually does nothing to enhance a mood. It's the equivalent to eating chocolate makes you happy. Taking an aspirin to heal a broken leg. If it seams to be working, then God Bless. It's a miracle allright.
    No, you're mistaken about this. There is actually clinical evidence that supports the use of St. John's Wort in mild to moderate depression. I guess that pharmacist friend of yours was unaware of these studies. Clinical trials have shown it to be ineffective in treatment of major depression. Patients are strongly advised NOT to use St. John's Wort when they're taking SSRIs; it's a little more powerful than aspirin....

jessietjo, if the Faverin works, why do you want to stop it? Don't assume that the St. John's Wort will work for you just because you found some encouraging stuff on the Internet. I think it's a good idea to discuss it with your doctor before you make any changes. Good luck!

anything that makes a person feel better is theoretically going to be addictive. Are you the kind of person who would eat 400mg of Tramadol a day? I just asked a new doctor I am seeing if there is an anti-depressant drug than works on the noradrenaline and not the serotonin. This could very well be the smoking gun we are all looking for. The opiate part of the drug may not be needed, thus simply eliminate the opiate/pain reliever and keep whatever is responding to the noradrenaline. I am no doctor, but if we all are getting 'high' off the opiate, then explain why some take Tramadol and it does nothing for them. Surely if somebody takes oxycodone, they feel something. I have actually heard people say they feel nothing when taking Tramadol. But we certainly do. This is interesting to me. Maybe the people who feel nothing taking Tramadol have adequate amounts of noardrenaline? If it's the opiate then I would be shocked.

I would actually be shocked if the opioid action played no role. I am very interested in this drug. It seems clear to me that the mood elevation is a combination of the anti-depressant and the opioid effect combined. Tramadol acts on both noradrenaline and serotonin; in fact, it's been implicated in serotonin syndrome. So it's not just targeting noradrenaline. And many of the so-called SSRIs also affect noradrenaline, so I think it's more complicated than you suggest.

Tramadol is more addictive than just any old substance that makes you feel good, because it causes physical dependency. Any opioid does that. There's no use pretending that the risk isn't there.

Have you talked to your doctor about tramadol? I'd really appreciate learning any information you get back from him or her. I would really like to understand the actual workings of this drug. Thanks.

I would actually be shocked if the opioid action played no role. I am very interested in this drug. It seems clear to me that the mood elevation is a combination of the anti-depressant and the opioid effect combined. Tramadol acts on both noradrenaline and serotonin; in fact, it's been implicated in serotonin syndrome. So it's not just targeting noradrenaline. And many of the so-called SSRIs also affect noradrenaline, so I think it's more complicated than you suggest.

Tramadol is more addictive than just any old substance that makes you feel good, because it causes physical dependency. Any opioid does that. There's no use pretending that the risk isn't there.

Have you talked to your doctor about tramadol? I'd really appreciate learning any information you get back from him or her. I would really like to understand the actual workings of this drug. Thanks.

I haven't heard back from him yet..I just sent a long email explaining my Tramadol problem. I'm afraid we are all getting high instead of treating depression properly. This is really bumming me out at the moment. I really thought I found my miracle drug. I don't think anything will take Tramadol's place. This is a problem.

I haven't heard back from him yet..I just sent a long email explaining my Tramadol problem. I'm afraid we are all getting high instead of treating depression properly. This is really bumming me out at the moment. I really thought I found my miracle drug. I don't think anything will take Tramadol's place. This is a problem.
    It really is kind of problematic. I have nothing but sympathy for the people with treatment-resistant depression who have posted here about their results with tramadol. It must be sheer hell to have depression that doesn't respond to the accepted treatments. I suffer from major depression, so I know what it feels like. But I am fortunate that the SSRIs work for me.

I'm really curious to learn if tramadol is just basically an SSRI with an added opioid action. I know it's more complicated than that, of course. I am really going to do some research into this drug.

The thing about being "high" is that it's kind of subjective in this context. If you've been miserably depressed for a long time, and then you feel better, you might very well experience "normal" as "high." On the other hand, when I read about people experiencing a rush of energy from tramadol, that sounds like a high to me. When I've come out of depressions thanks to SSRIs, I didn't get a huge rush of energy; I just felt OK. Much better compared to my depressive state, but very different from the kind of rush I experienced with opiates. I'd like to understand.

Take good care.

Maisie

It really is kind of problematic. I have nothing but sympathy for the people with treatment-resistant depression who have posted here about their results with tramadol. It must be sheer hell to have depression that doesn't respond to the accepted treatments. I suffer from major depression, so I know what it feels like. But I am fortunate that the SSRIs work for me.

I'm really curious to learn if tramadol is just basically an SSRI with an added opioid action. I know it's more complicated than that, of course. I am really going to do some research into this drug.

The thing about being "high" is that it's kind of subjective in this context. If you've been miserably depressed for a long time, and then you feel better, you might very well experience "normal" as "high." On the other hand, when I read about people experiencing a rush of energy from tramadol, that sounds like a high to me. When I've come out of depressions thanks to SSRIs, I didn't get a huge rush of energy; I just felt OK. Much better compared to my depressive state, but very different from the kind of rush I experienced with opiates. I'd like to understand.

Take good care.

Maisie
    thank you for your compassion Maisie

It's funny, I just got done talking about the definition of "high". I basically said the same thing you said. I have a friend who is convinced taking pain killers is a high, whereas his anti-depression medication is a true solution to depression. He said getting high is an escape. I then asked if he was escaping from anything by taking his meds. He said no, but he did acknowledge he wanted relief from depression. I then said, "well isn't that escaping then? you want to escape the depression". I think it's a matter of semantics and subjectivity. If I am not depressed, then I think I'm high. I'm high on life. Another distinction is that i'm not impaired. I function without being a threat to myself or others. You bring up a great point in saying those who are usually a bit down may think not being down is a "high". I ask my friend "do you feel depressed after you take the meds?" He says no, he is no longer depressed. Then what is he feeling? If I am not down, then I am up. The energy you refer to could be us feeling so good about not feeling down that we have added enthusiasm/energy. Being in a good mood will make you get up and out of bed, you know what I mean? A spring in your step. I don't think this is us being "high", unless "high" is not being depressed. I may be going insane lol. Thanks for your post

I'm really curious to learn if tramadol is just basically an SSRI with an added opioid action
    this is the motherload really. if the SSRI's work alone, then I could get a prescription of something containing that and not the opioid. But if we take the SSRI minus the opioid and it doesn't work, then what does that tell you? We are just feeling the effects of the opioid. The reason I think it's the SSRI's is because some people don't get that euphoric feeling taking Tramadol. I think most anyone who takes a strong pain killer like Oxycontin would feel the euphora. And the Tramadol's last for hours and hours. Most narcotics don't have that long a lasting effect. I know Tramadol is non-narcotic but the point is I don't think we are taking it to get high.I think the SSRI's are curing the depression/anxiety symptoms. A doctor will hopefully get to the bottom of this.

I am going to contact a couple of my doctors and see if they have any thoughts about this.

I think there is a real distinction between "high" and "not depressed." I just think it's hard for some people to perceive because maybe they have always been depressed and don't know what "normal" is, and also for people who are coming out of a long phase of depression and don't remember.

When I'm just "not depressed," I am sometimes "high on life" but often not. My boss is still stupid and my neighbors are still jerks. I'm not down about that, but I ain't happy, either. But there are also things I can get very happy about, and I do. I think this is "normal." And of course there are different personalities and dispositions, and therefore a range of "normal."

I do think that tramadol is pretty consistent with the other opioids. There are certainly people who take oxys or vicodin and don't get high. In fact, there are some people who Don't Like Them (which is just bizarre in my view, but lucky for them ).

Another issue that I think is important for our discussion here is that "getting high" is usually seen as a naughty, self-indulgent act. Your mother accuses you of just wanting to get high, and that of course makes you defensive as it would anyone. You want to defend that space where you finally, finally feel OK. And you especially want to defend it from people who don't understand how much you have suffered. All that being said, however, it's possible that you are in fact getting high. Which is better than depressed, but it's not where you want to be. It's not real. You don't want anything that causes euphoria, because it numbs all your other senses. But the problem of reacting to a value-judgement or criticism can really get in the way of a calm discussion of what exactly is going on. I think the question is, are you getting relief, or are you getting euphoria? Fully understanding it's hard to tell sometimes.

Maisie

AquarianPath is offline New Member

I'm with Maisie on this one. I'm coming over from the Addicted to Tramadol thread.
    I was diagnosed with breast cancer in December 2006 and when I couldn't get to decent pain relief, I turned to Tramadol.

I thought it gave me "energy" too, until it got the best of me. I'm saying, be so very careful. If your quality has improved and stays good for you and you don't have to increase the dosage, good for you.

I just don't ever want to be dependent on a drug for anything. Not even to make me happy. I've dealt with anxiety all my life and the Tramadol helped, and made me energetic. I would chase my boys around the living room then we would do Dance Dance Revolution for an hour. But after awhile, 3 or 4 or 5 Trams wasn't enough.

Finally I was at 10-15 a day. Anytime I felt stressed or upset, I would pop a pill.... that's no way to live. I'm sorry, but I've seen the dark and ugly side of these pills. It's not pretty.

So I'm just here issuing some caution to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AquarianPath View Post
    I'm with Maisie on this one. I'm coming over from the Addicted to Tramadol thread.
    I was diagnosed with breast cancer in December 2006 and when I couldn't get to decent pain relief, I turned to Tramadol.

I thought it gave me "energy" too, until it got the best of me. I'm saying, be so very careful. If your quality has improved and stays good for you and you don't have to increase the dosage, good for you.

I just don't ever want to be dependent on a drug for anything. Not even to make me happy. I've dealt with anxiety all my life and the Tramadol helped, and made me energetic. I would chase my boys around the living room then we would do Dance Dance Revolution for an hour. But after awhile, 3 or 4 or 5 Trams wasn't enough.

Finally I was at 10-15 a day. Anytime I felt stressed or upset, I would pop a pill.... that's no way to live. I'm sorry, but I've seen the dark and ugly side of these pills. It's not pretty.

So I'm just here issuing some caution to everyone.
    sorry to hear about your addiction problems. I suppose I can't understand how you could allow yourself to get to that point. Once you feel the daily dosage got over 200mg I would think alarm bells would go off. I can't think of any prescription that would allow that many pills a day. I'm not saying it's tempting for me to start taking more. I used to take two a day. Now I find myself taking a third later on in the day just to give me a little oomph. But I am telling myself that is going to be the limit to what I take daily. I try to skip a day or two every few days to assure I don't become a daily user. I'm almost daily, but not quite. In any case, I don't think I would ever get to a situation where I take 10-15 a day. I don't want to sound unsympathetic to someone's addiction habits, but wow. I think everyone would love to not have to depend on a pill, or a drink, or a smoke ext to get through the day. But at the end of the day, you do whatever makes you happiest. I am 40 years old. I am not that interested in spiritual healing at this point. I know what emotional issues I have pretty well. Point taken about the warning though. God bless and thank you for your honesty and concern

sorry to hear about your addiction problems. I suppose I can't understand how you could allow yourself to get to that point. Once you feel the daily dosage got over 200mg I would think alarm bells would go off. I can't think of any prescription that would allow that many pills a day. I'm not saying it's tempting for me to start taking more. I used to take two a day. Now I find myself taking a third later on in the day just to give me a little oomph. But I am telling myself that is going to be the limit to what I take daily. I try to skip a day or two every few days to assure I don't become a daily user. I'm almost daily, but not quite. In any case, I don't think I would ever get to a situation where I take 10-15 a day. I don't want to sound unsympathetic to someone's addiction habits, but wow. I think everyone would love to not have to depend on a pill, or a drink, or a smoke ext to get through the day. But at the end of the day, you do whatever makes you happiest. I am 40 years old. I am not that interested in spiritual healing at this point. I know what emotional issues I have pretty well. Point taken about the warning though. God bless and thank you for your honesty and concern

You may not have meant it to , but this: I suppose I can't understand how you could allow yourself to get to that point. pissed me right off.

How can you "allow" yourself to be so depressed and depend on a pill to make you happy?

Don't sit there in judgement of me or what I went through.

I'm sure there a lot of alcoholics and smokers that say "hey, as long as I'm happy. Right? Doesn't matter I'm killing my liver. Or my lungs. I'm happy"

As of now, I don't NEED opiates to make me happy, I take pain meds because I have post surgical pain. I take three a day and avoid taking anymore than that. I tapered myself down from 10-15 a day. I started exactly where you are now.
    But as an addict, I found myself making excuses to take more and then more. I would take 4 in the morning just to give myself some "oomph", then take about 4 more in the afternoon for some more "oomph" then take around 3-4 at time to make sure I kept up my "oomph" through the night.

I'm issuing caution, that it may "make you happy" - that's the whole point of an SSRI. To give you a happy euphoric buzz and make you think you're on top of the world, that your IQ is 180 and you work better, smarter, faster.
    Until you come off the ********. Then you crash and feel like you are the most worthless pile of dog********.
    If you're already depressive , then it only magnifies this effect.

So,before you sit there in judgement of me, why don't you take a good hard look at yourself instead of getting on your high horse and then...ironically, wishing me "God Bless". God wouldn't sit there in pontificating and claiming "how could you let yourself get to that point" Jesus was not above helping lepers.

Sorry if I came off harsh, but I don't buy this "as long as it makes you happy" . You sat there in judgement of me, yet you tried to close with a eased off conclusion. Why? If you want to judge me and what I did, do it. But don't try to come off as trying to be helpful or nice. It doesn't work when your first few sentences to me where "How could you let yourself get to that point" "I won't ever let myself ..... etc etc" How incredibly high handed.

I was trying to issue caution to those who think Tramadol is the greatest thing ever. I don't sit here in judgement of those who use it to keep their quality of life at a certain point.
    3 a day isn't a big deal. But it's when you start making excuses to yourself that it becomes a problem. Like I did. I would pop a pill because I got a big bill in the mail.
    Last edited by AquarianPath; 04-22-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AquarianPath View Post
    You may not have meant it to , but this: I suppose I can't understand how you could allow yourself to get to that point. pissed me right off.

How can you "allow" yourself to be so depressed and depend on a pill to make you happy?

Don't sit there in judgement of me or what I went through.

I'm sure there a lot of alcoholics and smokers that say "hey, as long as I'm happy. Right? Doesn't matter I'm killing my liver. Or my lungs. I'm happy"

As of now, I don't NEED opiates to make me happy, I take pain meds because I have post surgical pain. I take three a day and avoid taking anymore than that. I tapered myself down from 10-15 a day. I started exactly where you are now.
    But as an addict, I found myself making excuses to take more and then more. I would take 4 in the morning just to give myself some "oomph", then take about 4 more in the afternoon for some more "oomph" then take around 3-4 at time to make sure I kept up my "oomph" through the night.

I'm issuing caution, that it may "make you happy" - that's the whole point of an SSRI. To give you a happy euphoric buzz and make you think you're on top of the world, that your IQ is 180 and you work better, smarter, faster.
    Until you come off the ********. Then you crash and feel like you are the most worthless pile of dog********.
    If you're already depressive , then it only magnifies this effect.

So,before you sit there in judgement of me, why don't you take a good hard look at yourself instead of getting on your high horse and then...ironically, wishing me "God Bless". God wouldn't sit there in pontificating and claiming "how could you let yourself get to that point" Jesus was not above helping lepers.

Sorry if I came off harsh, but I don't buy this "as long as it makes you happy" . You sat there in judgement of me, yet you tried to close with a eased off conclusion. Why? If you want to judge me and what I did, do it. But don't try to come off as trying to be helpful or nice. It doesn't work when your first few sentences to me where "How could you let yourself get to that point" "I won't ever let myself ..... etc etc" How incredibly high handed.

I was trying to issue caution to those who think Tramadol is the greatest thing ever. I don't sit here in judgement of those who use it to keep their quality of life at a certain point.
    3 a day isn't a big deal. But it's when you start making excuses to yourself that it becomes a problem. Like I did. I would pop a pill because I got a big bill in the mail.
    i recommend you go back to taking 15 chill pills

god bless
    jack

I don't need pills to "chill", dude. That's your problem, not mine.

And you finish off with "God bless" ...you, my friend...are a major hypocrite.
    Last edited by AquarianPath; 04-22-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Hi guys. It isn't anyone's place here to judge others, only to try and help each other. I was taking close to 100 pills a day, not trams, but it's beside the point. There is always hope until we give up on ourself, I'm proof of that.

We need to help people here get their focus changed, not ream people. I wouldn't give anyone advice on how to get a buzz, or anything like that. But there is no reason to not try to help anyone that is honestly trying to better themself. God bless.

Thanks for the reality check, Robert. Just irks me when someone gets on here and throws out a holier than thou attitude. This is not the place to do it. There are so many that come here for advice and help. Like me, had I seen a post like his when I first started coming , it would have given me the impression that we are just jerk offs that "allow" our addictions to happen. And if we're not as mighty and perfect as say - jack - then there is something wrong with us.

We all found this forum for one reason or another. Whether you are addicted to a pill and you need support. This should be a judgement free area. We all screw up. We all make mistakes. But i'm not going to let some one over the internet make me feel bad that I screwed up. I am already beating myself up that I "allowed" myself to take more than what is healthy and step into the danger zone.

I blame my issue on cancer. I got diagnosed at a really young age, I've had 4 surgeries (my 5th coming up next week) I've had a mastectomy, and total breast reconstruction. Due to a serious infection that landed me in the hospital for a week, I have a "problem" spot in my incision area. It occasionally flares up and causes me great pain.

My husband is USAF so I live on an Air Force installation. Military doctors SUCK at treating patients. They treat numbers, not people. In the past 3 years, I've had a total of 11 doctors. The one previously (before I got a very good civilian doctor) told me my pain wasn't his problem and to go see my doctors at Johns Hopkins for my pain management.

I'm in Dover, DE. Driving two hours to JH everytime I need pain relief isn't feasible. So I'm stuck self medicating with Tramadol. It works on my pain, but gives me an incredible euphoric buzz. After awhile, 50mgs wasn't enough to chase the pain. 100mgs gave me back the buzz and left me void of pain. It was such a relieving place to be. Happy again and pain free. But instead of me controlling my pain, the pills began controlling me. It was all I could think about. Before I knew it, I wasn't using it to ease my pain. I was using it to get back that "Happy Place" feeling. The warm fuzzies that give me energy and made me feel smarter, faster, more energetic, and more focused.

It ended up getting worse. Pretty soon I had to take more and more to keep the withdrawal effects away. My head was always spinning and my stomach was always in knots. It wasn't a "happy feeling" anymore. It was a disgusting addiction that kept getting worse. Every hour I needed a pill.

So, as for "allowing myself" anything, how does anyone "allow" themselves to get addicted to pills or drugs or any chemical? It happens when we least expect it.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast