Longterm lexapro sexual side effects...
    Sparksnorthern is offline New Member

Default Longterm lexapro sexual side effects...

So I was taking 20mg of leaxapro for about a year, and I stopped taking it a year ago next month. I weened off of it well and everything, but I'm still suffering from the sexual side effects of them; difficulty urinating, impotence somewhat as well as a huge decrease in libido. Sexual thoughts never run through my head like they did before I took the medicine and It makes me just feel like I'm not normal and that I should have gone back to my old self. I'm 21 years old and in college so If anyone should be into sex it should be me. I'm scared that my body never will return to normal. Are there any other males in the same boat as me? Let me know anything, or any remedies. Thanks

Scott

auntybiotic is offline Senior Member

Scott,

How did you wean off of the lexapro?? What type of withdrawals effects did you have during the withdrawal and how long did they last.

Lexapro can stick around in the system for a very long time and I am wondering if a good detox would help with your symptom.

Try Milk Thistle and ask the Vitamin Shoppe for a good liver cleanse.

Also you may want to try acupuncture, ask them to do a liver cleanse treatment. If you feel worse after the first few treatments, my theory is correct. As the lexapro gets released from the bile (as it keeps recirculating thru the system even though you have not had any for over a year) you will feel withdrawal effects again, thus the feeling bad.

Sexual side effects is a side effects of being on Lexapro and it is very common for the lexapro to remain in the body for sometimes years if the liver is not functioning efficiently. I am curious, do you drink?? Are you taking any other medication or street drugs that may be compromising the P 450 Cytochrome system of the liver? Do you smoke?? These are factors that can make toxins remain in the system.

I am sure with some extra help thru detoxing, you will feel back to normal.

I am interested in how you tapered and if you actually did go thru the typical withdrawals and how long it lasted.....this will help to understand the situation.

Well, what I did was reduce my dosage my 5mg each week for four weeks by roughly breaking of mgs of the pill so like a quarter of the pill. I didnt have any bad episodes really at all. I guess the only thing that felt a little weird was on the 2nd day after my last pill, I think I could see my brain chemistry changing back to how it was before I was on the pill, but without a lot of the anxiety. So that was really cool.

As for my liver...I tend to drink pretty heavily on the weekends considering I am in college. Thats pretty much the only drug I do.

I'm curious about the liver cleansing...I'm curious as to how it could be affecting my sex drive...?

Thanks for the response, I'm excited to hear more.

Scott

Scott,
    Do you study chemistry in college??

Lexapro, even though you are NOT still taking it remains in you body. It is held in the bile, is not filtered out by the liver and gets recirculated thru your system. Since you do drink, which affects the P 450 Cytochrome system of the liver, this cause the body to be even LESS EFFECTIVE at ridding the body of the lexapro, which is acting as a toxin in your system.

The sexual side effects are actually caused by the lexapro. It deadens your senses including your libido. So due to drinking and just the way the drug lexapro can hang in the body for up to a year (or more) after your last dose..................you are STILL suffereng the side effects of the lexapro.

The liver cleanse, maybe stop dinmking for a few months, anything you can do to help your liver rid your body of toxins (lexapro) will help with the side efefct of lack of sex drive and performance issues.

Try it for a few months and weigh the benefits yourself. Milk Thistle, liver cleanses thru acupuncture or other methods and put a hold on the drinking for just two months and see if you notice any difference.

Initially you may feel worse as the body releases the lexapro from the liver.................but that will clear up and you should notice a steady improvement.

What harm is there to try except possibly no time to study due to a overactive sex life.

Haha, first of all let me say that I love that last line you wrote...

Do you know how good the chances are of the milk thistle cleaning out my liver? And how will acupuncture help with it?

Also, with the alcohol, if I just take it easy on the drinking will that be substantial, or does it need to be cut out completely?

Scott,

The milk thistle will work very well to help detoxify the liver. The acupuncture will also aid in the liver cleanse if your insurance covers this, try it out. Cut down on the drinking, maybe no HARD stuff, just a few beers. Also drink LOTS of spring water, let me know in two weeks if you feel a difference. It could take about two months but your sex drive WILL come back...............be patient........Hmmm,,,maybe your grades will get better since you have more time to study now. (Smile).

Also get a AM PM Colon cleanse from the Vitamin Shoppe in pill form to help detoxify. Try to stay away from FAST FOODS and eat more protein and vegetables in the next two months. You can also buy a DETOX BOX of tea bags if you like and make iced tea to help. Stay away from caffeine. This sounds like no fun for a college student but keep the end result in mind.....................

tackster87 is offline New Member

My wife takes Lexapro and her lack of sex drive is driving me crazy. What can be done to help in this department? What other drug is out there that can help her, but not mess with her sex drive?

The milk thistle will work very well to help detoxify the liver. The acupuncture will also aid in the liver cleanse if your insurance covers this, try it out. Cut down on the drinking, maybe no HARD stuff, just a few beers. Also drink LOTS of spring water, let me know in two weeks if you feel a difference. It could take about two months but your sex drive WILL come back...............be patient........Hmmm,,,maybe your grades will get better since you have more time to study now. (Smile).

Also get a AM PM Colon cleanse from the Vitamin Shoppe in pill form to help detoxify. Try to stay away from FAST FOODS and eat more protein and vegetables in the next two months. You can also buy a DETOX BOX of tea bags if you like and make iced tea to help. Stay away from caffeine. This sounds like no fun for a college student but keep the end result in mind.....................[/QUOTE]

idviceroy is offline New Member

Default Just started Lexapro

I started Lexapro a little over 2 weeks ago, and I too am concerned about the sexual side effects. I'm in my thirties and have battled depression on and off since my teens, but I've usually been able to beat it, in part by indentifying what put me in the "bad place" to begin with and working to get over it. But depression, alcoholism, and suicide run in my family. This latest bout, even though I was able to identify the many real world stressors that brought it about, had really kicked my butt, so I finally went beyond my general therapy sessions and sought medication.

At first, I was completely hornry for 2-3 days! Best I'd felt since before Christmas, and the hottest sex he and I have had for months! I'm in a relatively new relationship with a younger man, who has been very understanding. In my depression I experienced sexual impotence for about a month, followed by spurts (no pun intended) of healthy sex, punctuated by so-so sex, which usually lead to an even more depressive state.

At any rate, in the days following that initial burst of horniness, I've been having trouble ejaculating, experienced decreased libido, and even though I continue to enjoy sexual contact with him (in part b/c it is a new relationship and it's, well, fun and new), it's clear I'm enjoying it less between the legs than I should be. He's doing all the right things, but I'm either only partially stimulated, not stimulated at all, or when I can't come after 20 mins or so I just give up, generally feeling as there is no point for me to have sex if I can't reach climax.

That having been said, I can enjoy the sexual contact and the foreplay, but at somepoint I'd like to be a full participant and enjoy the climax!!

Do the symptoms subside as some sites suggest? Are there any natural remedies? What of Wellbutrin? Should I see about taking it in conjunction with the lexapro or instead of?

Any suggestions?
    Tim

KryCheQ is offline New Member

Default same issue with Zoloft

Im having the same issue with Zoloft and im wondering if I could talk to you auntybiotic more about this condition as mine is slightly different from scotts and im curious is you've found this idea of yours to actually help anyone with sexual dysfunction caused by SSRI's?

thailandsam is offline New Member

Default I think you guys misunderstood

Quote Originally Posted by KryCheQ View Post
    Im having the same issue with Zoloft and im wondering if I could talk to you auntybiotic more about this condition as mine is slightly different from scotts and im curious is you've found this idea of yours to actually help anyone with sexual dysfunction caused by SSRI's?
    I could be wrong here, but Auntybiotic's directions for Scott were to help him rid his system of the remaining Lexapro hanging around in the bile (liver), on the theory that his issues may be a held over side effect of the remaining drug. But he said he weaned himself off of it over a year ago. Taking Milk Thistle and getting a liver cleanse is not the answer for someone still on SSRIs, if that is indeed (and it is very likely) the problem. So unless you've already quit taking the Zoloft, your condition is radically, not just slightly, different. Sorry to disappoint you, but maybe Auntybiotic has found some supplements that do provide relief while still on SSRIs. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Cheers,
    Sam

Day 2 of reducing Lexapro from 20mg to 10.

Quote Originally Posted by thailandsam View Post
    I could be wrong here, but Auntybiotic's directions for Scott were to help him rid his system of the remaining Lexapro hanging around in the bile (liver), on the theory that his issues may be a held over side effect of the remaining drug. But he said he weaned himself off of it over a year ago. Taking Milk Thistle and getting a liver cleanse is not the answer for someone still on SSRIs, if that is indeed (and it is very likely) the problem. So unless you've already quit taking the Zoloft, your condition is radically, not just slightly, different. Sorry to disappoint you, but maybe Auntybiotic has found some supplements that do provide relief while still on SSRIs. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Cheers,
    Sam

Day 2 of reducing Lexapro from 20mg to 10.
    I was on Zoloft for 4 months and ive now been off the zoloft for 4.5 months and the side effects still remain, i have numbness in my entire genital area and my overall skin sensitivity has gone down drastically for example parts of my body that were extremely sensitive and tickilish are no longer so, they feel sort of numbed but not to the extent of my genital area. Also I feel like my emotional range has been stunted greatly, I no longer have highs or low's im just in the middle all the time which is common when on SSRI's but ive been off them now for 4.5 months and all of these side effects still remain.

Default Oh yea..

Also I would like to point out that I did not ween myself off, once I read that the dysfunction I was experiencing had the potential of being permanent I stopped the zoloft that day and never took it again. I experienced some withdrawal for a couple weeks, most of which was just me feeling dizzy at random points thruought my day but it wasnt anything to bad, im guessing because I was only on it for 4 months on the lowest dose possible, 50mg.

thailandsam is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by KryCheQ View Post
    Also I would like to point out that I did not ween myself off, once I read that the dysfunction I was experiencing had the potential of being permanent I stopped the zoloft that day and never took it again. I experienced some withdrawal for a couple weeks, most of which was just me feeling dizzy at random points thruought my day but it wasnt anything to bad, im guessing because I was only on it for 4 months on the lowest dose possible, 50mg.
    You have my apologies--I had misread you post and thought you were still taking it, like the intervening posters who had just started or were still on Lexapro. I haven't read anything about Zoloft, but it may very well have left some residue in your liver like the Japanese soldiers holed up in caves 20 years after the end of WWII having no idea that the fight is long over. In that case, it wouldn't hurt to try cleansing your liver to see if that clears the symptoms. Milk thistle wouldn't do any damage, so you might as well give it a try. Congratulations on getting off with minimal withdrawal, but sorry about the dysfunction.

walterr is offline New Member

So I'm not the only one. This is so sad..

I just started 5mg Lexapro treatment 6 weeks ago. My erection seems ok but I'm having problem staying excited. And I can not orgasm :/

Holy smoke, I though I had it bad before Lexapro but this is worse!
    What now? Can I stop it and go back to my normal self? I want my sex drive back.. Please help

Walter

Sarabeth is offline New Member

Default No sex drive on Lexapro

Hi,

I had the same problem as alot of you. My libido went Pfffffft the second I went on Lexapro over a year ago. My fiance is going crazy. I have no urges, no thoughts and am NEVER in the mood. I talked to my doctor about it and she suggested I begin taking Wellbutrin to help balance the chemicals that Lexapro was decreasing. Supposedly when they work together they get your libido back to normal. A friend of mine was in the same boat and SWEARS by it. So, to the original poster, you may want to talk about Wellbutrin with your doctor while your body adjusts to no more Lexapro.
    I'm only on day 3 with the Wellbutrin (and I'm on the generic, so I'm skeptical that it will work) But cross your fingers anyway!!!!

Copchick is offline New Member

I just started taking lexapro and after reading this thread I'm a little worried. I have a very high sex drive and I don't want to lose it. What I don't understand, is lexapro works by increasing serotonin level. Which is the happy chemical. Shouldn't this INCREASE your sexual desire? It's the relatively same effect alcohol has on you, anyone ever get really horny after downing a few? I bet everyone can yes to to that.

alansh is offline New Member

Default Lexapro sexual side effects

This stuff - man or woman - will decrease or eliminate sex drive and abiltiy to reach climax. The doctor should tell you well before you even consider taking the stuff.

I'd eliminate it as soon as I could! If you are depressed now, imagine how depressed you could be with no sex and no desire!!!

Tribulus for men is an herb that should help turn things around. The original post was 2005 so I hope the guy got it going since then!! It'd be nice if he checked back in for an update.

Have yout testosterone levels, estorgen, and prolactin checked. Lose the Lexapro - with doctors blessing - take tribulus - and check back in a month or two to let me know I was right. If you have no sex drive it could be a prolactinoma - a tumor of the pituitary - I had that. Mine wasn't diagnosed for 5 years because the doctor was too lazy or too stupid to check my blood levels! Don't wait for them to suggest it - you demand it. Get those levels and see if there is a hormone or chemical deficiency causing the issue.

I did not take nor have I taken any SSRI's but my wife did and completely lost a once vibrant sex drive. She went off of them and - lo and behold - it came back. But now we divorced so I hope it's gone again!!!

So, remember - life is for living. These doctors love to get you on a lifetime plan of taking this or that forever... Bloodsuckers. Check your levels to make sure its nothing else - lose the SSRI's because taking them for life can't be good. Exercise like crazy to offset the depression if possible. And do it all under a doctors supervision.

My point is that depression comes and goes - there's no reason to allow yourself to be deprived of a sex drive for the rest of your life! Find a better more productive fix for the depression - like fixing whatever's depressing you - or if you are just depressed - start jogging 5 miles a day and see if it helps then ween off the stuff in a safe way. And then look forward to a much better and vibrant future.

Planetary is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by auntybiotic View Post
    Scott,

How did you wean off of the lexapro?? What type of withdrawals effects did you have during the withdrawal and how long did they last.

Lexapro can stick around in the system for a very long time and I am wondering if a good detox would help with your symptom.

Try Milk Thistle and ask the Vitamin Shoppe for a good liver cleanse.

Also you may want to try acupuncture, ask them to do a liver cleanse treatment. If you feel worse after the first few treatments, my theory is correct. As the lexapro gets released from the bile (as it keeps recirculating thru the system even though you have not had any for over a year) you will feel withdrawal effects again, thus the feeling bad.

Sexual side effects is a side effects of being on Lexapro and it is very common for the lexapro to remain in the body for sometimes years if the liver is not functioning efficiently. I am curious, do you drink?? Are you taking any other medication or street drugs that may be compromising the P 450 Cytochrome system of the liver? Do you smoke?? These are factors that can make toxins remain in the system.

I am sure with some extra help thru detoxing, you will feel back to normal.

I am interested in how you tapered and if you actually did go thru the typical withdrawals and how long it lasted.....this will help to understand the situation.
    This is an old thread, but since someone revived it recently and it's appearing in Google searches for Lexapro side effects, I'll note that:

- You are dispensing bad advice based on pseudoscience
    - You are actively encouraging readers to waste their money
    - There is no evidence, anywhere, that shows the products you recommend can alleviate the symptoms described by the OP
    - Some of your recommendations are potentially dangerous

In addition, you're going further than any doctor would and guaranteeing the OP he'll overcome the Lexapro side effects with the help of your recommended products, and you're spreading outright misinformation about how long the drug stays in the body.

I hate to say it, but people like you really aggravate me -- you and others like you are the reason legions of retards snatched up products like Airborne en masse, because "it was invented by a teacher!" and "I know it works because my friend's cousin's next door neighbor took it once on a plane where everyone was sneezing, and he didn't get sick!"

"Prescribing" milk thistle to people is dangerous; recommending it to complete strangers on the internet is potentially disastrous. Milk thistle can cause significant interactions with common medicines, everything from OTC pain relievers to anti-depressants, sedatives, cholesterol medication, and anti-anxiety meds.

Please stop spreading misinformation, please stop promoting pseudoscience, please stop encouraging readers to waste their money on things like acupuncture, and PLEASE stop playing doctor.

SWIM93 is offline New Member

Default Just Started Lexapro

I just started taking lexapro 10 mg literally 4 days ago. The doctor that pre-scribed it didn't tell me much, however, he was the 3rd doctor that i ended up seeing before i made any progress with my problem.

I've suffered from on and off depression/anxiety since i was about 13, i wrote it off as teenage hormones angst ect in the past, but now at 18 i've realised that is rendering me slightly unable to function properly in society. I cannot focus, i have no motivation at all unless i'm interested in something, and recently even that's been diminishing. I have some really down days were i cannot get out of bed or move, i just want to not exist, not die, just not have to deal with feeling so yuk. Aside from these days, i feel mostly apathetic with the occasional day or 2 of happiness. I have a low sex drive and rarely climax. I am very irritable at times and get annoyed quite easily when i'm in a bad mood. I did research and concluded that i might of had a dopamine deficiency or adhd or even just plain depression.

So i thought medication might be the way to go, because i have never had a good therapist/councillor in my life. I honestly wanted some adderall, some dopamine supplements or even 5htp (I live in Australia and yes, we need a prescription for this :/) But the doctor pre-scribed lexapro so here we are.

Naturally i've been re-searching it and from what i've heard it works well but pretty much takes any fun and joy out of life, well my type of fun and joy. So far it has been working amazing for me, could just be that i'm at a good point right now, but i've alot better. I've had hardly any side effects so far, only mild nausea from not eating before taking it, a few slight headaches and a little bit of fatigue. My brain feels numb, like a sort of zombie-brickwall feeling. Yes i know it's only 4 days, and takes at least a week to even kick in.

So i've read that, and no judgy judge judgy okay, whilst on it, you don't even feel the effects of mdma (I've only done it once in my life and this previous use cannot be attributed to my problem because it's made no difference), lessened effects of lsd(same thing again) you pretty much can't drink and you have no sex drive. Well that's pretty a buzzkill for me.

However, my friend takes Lovan (prozac) and says she doesn't experience any of these effects. She even doubles her dose, take 20mg i think. Considering it's been 4 days, i'm pretty sure i would be able to stop without it having done too much. Should i stop and start taking Prozac or should i just quit SSRI's all together? I can't make this decision alone :P
    Last edited by SWIM93; 12-03-2011 at 03:11 AM.

lorazematt is offline New Member

dont take lexapro everyday it accumulates that way and cause more sex side effects try 10 or 15 mg every 2 3 days. woth the time you will know how taper yourself on it. dont do what they say they want to sell the most meds as possible!