Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
I've been caught doctor shopping...what next?
    scared_ohio is offline Member

Default I've been caught doctor shopping...what next?

Hi everyone, this is my first time on a board with this problem. I've had three back surgeries and a herniated disc in my neck. I started taking percocet last year after my daughter was born via c-section. Then, I started seeing a pain doc, he gave me percocet, but it wasn't lasting the way it should have, so, I went to another doc, and another, etc...none of them knew about the other ones. I had been calling a new doc to set up an appt, and they asked for my ssn#, which I gave them, then tried to pretend that the info she saw wasn't me. She told me it could be identity theft, and told me about a security group called "Krull, or Crul" something like that. They contacted my husband at work today with a list of all the doctors I've seen and all the scrips. I have an appointment with a treatment center on Monday, and I'm already going through withdrawals, my concern is that now that list will be sent to the authorities and I'll go to jail. Has anyone else out there had this happen to them?? Thank you all for your help...

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

You more than likely won't go to jail, don't worry about that. That is not usually how they handle these situations, as long as you weren't writing your own scrips or using fraud to obtain them, like if you said you were someone else and got their meds. You will, however, have your name sent to the DEA and it will be put in their database which is reported to all docs and pharmacies. What this results in, is what is termed "Red Flagging."

This means that you will not be able to get mutliple prescriptions filled anymore, nor will you be able to get any filled early. You will only be able to get them the very day they are due, and all pharmacies in your state will have you in their computer and if you come in to try to get something your name and the report will show up as soon as they type it into their computer.

Usually, in this situation, you will find yourself with one pharmacy that will be permitted to fill your prescriptions and one Doctor who is allowed to write them, so that your behavior can be monitored. You will not even be able to obtain scrips from an emergency room or urgent care center unless you were in a severe accident and require trauma care. Even then, they will only provide meds while you are in their care, when you are released, you will have to see your regular doctor for follow up care and any longer scrips.

And yes, this has happened to many people, not me personally, but I do know several who are going through the same thing. The DEA looks on this especially severely when it involves narcotic prescriptions. They don't know if you were using them all or selling them to some little school kid on the street corner, either way, they are not happy about this type of abuse.

If you have a regular doctor that you use, he will receive a report from the DEA regarding the matter. He will then be asked if he wishes to remain your doctor or not, it is his choice, he could boot you out entirely, then you will have to find another doctor that is willing to see you and deal with the matter.

The fact that you are going into treatment will be in your favor, especially if you are going voluntarily, however, you will have these doctor and pharmacy restrictions for the rest of your life.

And don't expect to be able to pick up any prescriptions for anyone else, including your spouse or children. You will have to have someone else do that, you will only be allowed to have your own filled and pick up your own at the pharmacy.

Basically, while you don't go to jail, you will be punished and you will have these restrictions forever, the information will follow you no matter where you go, even if you move out of state. The only way to get out of it would be to leave the country.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Jessika is offline Member

I myself Have been red flagged it is not fun... but mine was lifted thank god..the dea contacted my primary doctor not my husband though.

Jessika

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

I believe, from her post, that it was the investigators the docs office called that contact her husband to let him know what she was up to, not the DEA.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

lipsofanangel is offline New Member

Why and how was yours lifted?
    quote:Originally posted by Jessika

I myself Have been red flagged it is not fun... but mine was lifted thank god..the dea contacted my primary doctor not my husband though.

Jessika
    LIPSOFANANGEL

tinkers is offline Member

Hi

Sorry to hear about your problem but i have never heard of that happening to that extrem i have been cought shopping many times and no one was ever called except the one doctor that wrote the script i was trying to fill and that was walgreens i hate them but i thought that do to the hippa law they couldent just call anyone that is private info. it dident stop me just used new docs and new pharmacy but it may be a blessing it may have saved your life you dont see it that way now but you might someday i wish it would have stoped me years ago well im off them now but it was hard good luck

lenise is offline New Member

I live in Colorado and about 13 years ago I got addicted to painkillers. A plastic clamp was left in me after surgery and I went to my family doc with belly pain. He had me on tylox for over 6month. finally my insurance co. okay'd exploratory surgery and they found the clamp and took it out. After I recovered from the pain I told my doctor that I needed help because I couldn't stop the pain meds on my own, it had been too long. He dropped me on my butt and long story short i ended up calling in my own scripts for about a year, until i went to 28 days in patient. When I got out of treatment I called and lawyer and went to the police station with him. I wanted to turn myself in because my greatest fear was getting caught after the fact. I was facing 10 to 14 years. I ended up with 2 years of diversion, that's like probation but when you complete it, the crime is not put on your record. I was only offered this because of my honesty and the fact that I had gone to treatment. It was hard, all of it!!!! I couldn't have stopped without the fear of prison and the help of peers in support groups and I know most people don't want to hear this one but it's the turth....Jesus. I am sorry for the anxiety and fear that your'e going through now but it's best for you to concentrate on your recovery and take the rest on step at a time. Just getting through the detox and on to the bigger issues of "why" will be enough for now.

God Bless....Lenise

abey042000 is offline Member

Lenise~

You have hit it strait on....JESUS! He has been my only way out! Too bad more people don't see it this way huh?

God Bless you hunny!

ConstantPain is offline Junior Member

why is it such a big deal? im just wondering because you're not really hurting anyone except yourself if you do these drugs recreationally...it's a different story if you're getting them to sell them...but for personal use???

blast is offline New Member

I am so sorry to hear that you got caught, but maybe it is for your own good. You are going into treatment and it sounds like that is what you needed. I will pray for you to do well in treatment, and that the officials will realize you did this for you, and let you off with maybe just some probabtion. If you get anything at all.

overdpill is offline New Member

Exclamation To the young lady who just got caught doctor shopping

I was on loratab 10/500 for the past 10 years prescribed to me for a back injury.This was by my primary care doctor in Texas.I moved to Florida and was having a really hard time finding a doctor who would give me the same medication and at that strength and especially at the same dose (150 tablets per month) so I panicked and was going to several doctors. Well last October I was trying to refill my script and was informed that I had been cut off completely.So I of course went into panic mode!!! My boyfriend had told me in the past that I needed to get off the medication because I had developed a tolerance and they weren't even helping me anymore and every time I ran out it would cause all kind of turmoil in our household because I would freak out!! Well I decided to go cold Turkey and quit. With my boyfriends help and dedication I never touched another pill since October 2008.Well on July 6,2009 3 police cars pulled up to my house and arrested me for "Doctor shopping" 3rd degree felony. I went to jail and had to post bail for $5000.00 bond.Needless to say I lost my job as a retail manager for a very large company and now have probation for 2 years. Not a pretty life I can't find another job because I now have a felony fraud on my record.So if there is anyone out there that I can help by telling my Story know this...if you have any will power in you to stop taking these highly addictive drugs please I'm begging you it is not worth loosing everything and having to start all over again!!! I personally think that these doctors that keep filling the scripts month after month, year after year should be held accountable as well!!! Good luck!! & I pray for everyone who suffers from this situation!!! Because unless you are in this situation no one can relate with you.
    Last edited by overdpill; 09-02-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: missed a word

Grabnar is offline New Member

Default doc shoppers

Doctor shopping laws are enforced differently by state this is why so many varying stories are appearing in this thread , unfortunately for the person in florida they seem to have the most strict doctor shopping laws in the country, if your going to engage in that sort of activity you better read up on the consequences in your area first.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I don't think you'll find ANY area where dr shopping is acceptable. No one puts up with that nonsense. If you have to dr shop you should shop a few rehabs.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Smile Florida laws

Yes all states are different I am not saying that doctor shopping is something that a person who has this problem can actually realize that they are doing anything wrong until its too late.Simply because the drug has already taken over their ability to think rationally.However you are correct for the people who can see the light and come to reality again REHAB SHOPPING should be the very first thing they do!!!! But like I was saying in my "situation" I Quit taking any pills all together in OCTOBER 2008 I haven't touched,looked at,or even had the urge to consume another pill for the rest of my life!!! but......10 months "AFTER" the fact...I was out of "NOWHERE" without any warning arrested!! All I am trying to do is HELP anyone out there that I can who has a problem with the reality part! To the person who is giving the advise about "rehab shopping" I see your input quite often here in the thread however it does seem very JUDGMENTAL! have you ever been in a situation that this possibly could have happened to you? A lot of people are victims to the fact that their injuries have imprisoned them into a regime of medications and their doctors keep them on these highly addictive pills instead of putting them on a medication that is non narcotic like ultram or ultracet and ween them into physical therapy or cortisone shots. There are a lot of other medications out there for long term rather than letting an individual take medications that they can get addicted to!! It is really easy for some one who has never been dependent on this type of treatment to remedy what they feel is the necessary route to take!!!

mottam is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by overdpill View Post
    Yes all states are different I am not saying that doctor shopping is something that a person who has this problem can actually realize that they are doing anything wrong until its too late.Simply because the drug has already taken over their ability to think rationally.However you are correct for the people who can see the light and come to reality again REHAB SHOPPING should be the very first thing they do!!!! But like I was saying in my "situation" I Quit taking any pills all together in OCTOBER 2008 I haven't touched,looked at,or even had the urge to consume another pill for the rest of my life!!! but......10 months "AFTER" the fact...I was out of "NOWHERE" without any warning arrested!! All I am trying to do is HELP anyone out there that I can who has a problem with the reality part! To the person who is giving the advise about "rehab shopping" I see your input quite often here in the thread however it does seem very JUDGMENTAL! have you ever been in a situation that this possibly could have happened to you? A lot of people are victims to the fact that their injuries have imprisoned them into a regime of medications and their doctors keep them on these highly addictive pills instead of putting them on a medication that is non narcotic like ultram or ultracet and ween them into physical therapy or cortisone shots. There are a lot of other medications out there for long term rather than letting an individual take medications that they can get addicted to!! It is really easy for some one who has never been dependent on this type of treatment to remedy what they feel is the necessary route to take!!!
    Please take this in the spirit intended:
    You obviously MUST be a new member to this forum to post what you just posted.
    PLEASE, understand your audience and intended "target" before making such a "judgemental" response.

We are all here to support, get and stay clean.
    While confrontation is appropriate and sometimes necessary, it is my humble opinion that it is not warranted on this thread.

God bless, and have a peaceful, clean weekend.
    dentalcutie35 likes this.

Default Not judgementl

No sorry! I did not intend to seem judgmental please my apologies!!! I am a new member and I have read a lot what I see as both sides people who have addictions and people who don't. However there are a lot of people with opinions and I was expressing mine.Not to antagonize any situation at all I just can empathize with those whom I have the most in common with.I wasn't even referring to you but if I have offend you in any way i do apologize.

God bless you always.
    And through him you will stay clean without my blessing!

mottam is offline Advanced Member

No sorry! I did not intend to seem judgmental please my apologies!!! I am a new member and I have read a lot what I see as both sides people who have addictions and people who don't. However there are a lot of people with opinions and I was expressing mine.Not to antagonize any situation at all I just can empathize with those whom I have the most in common with.I wasn't even referring to you but if I have offend you in any way i do apologize.

God bless you always.
    And through him you will stay clean without my blessing!

We are all in this together.
    Stay strong, stay clean.

Have a great holiday weekend, and most of all - have a peaceful one!

Kindest Regards

Quote Originally Posted by mottam View Post
    We are all in this together.
    Stay strong, stay clean.

Have a great holiday weekend, and most of all - have a peaceful one!

Kindest Regards
    Thank you!!!! Have a wonderful holiday weekend to you as well!

michele151 is offline Junior Member

Thank you!!!! Have a wonderful holiday weekend to you as well!

What is considered doctor shopping? How many doctors were you seeing? How many perscriptions were you having filled at once?

Quote Originally Posted by michele151 View Post
    What is considered doctor shopping? How many doctors were you seeing? How many perscriptions were you having filled at once?

If you are seeing more than one dr for duplicates of controlled substances RX drugs you are dr shopping.

How many drs does it take before they come get you? Depends how busy the police are in your area.

Don't get into this habit. This is some bad news, can really make a mess out of your life. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    If you are seeing more than one dr for duplicates of controlled substances RX drugs you are dr shopping.

How many drs does it take before they come get you? Depends how busy the police are in your area.

Don't get into this habit. This is some bad news, can really make a mess out of your life. God bless.

How do they find out? Does the doctor call or the pharmacy? Well I just started having back pain a few months ago. I went to my doctor that I had went to years ago. Then I changed to another doctor in the same area because it was such along wait. Well a couple weeks later I got a letter from the orginial doctor stating that he could not serve me anymore? After reading all this I am a little nervous. And I mean only about four months.
    Last edited by michele151; 09-07-2009 at 06:41 PM.

How do they find out? Does the doctor call or the pharmacy? Well I just started having back pain a few months ago. I went to my doctor that I had went to years ago. Then I changed to another doctor in the same area because it was such along wait. Well a couple weeks later I got a letter from the orginial doctor stating that he could not serve me anymore? After reading all this I am a little nervous. And I mean only about four months.

It can work both ways ... drs contact pharmacies or vice versa. And if a dr finds out they will contact the other drs involved too if they are legit themself.

You're only talking about two drs but you've been refilling both for four months? I need more info to tell you much. How many times did you refill?

The particular medication is important also. Schedule II class drugs get monitored by the DEA. That's why the script drs write schedule III drugs like hydrocodone, but not oxycodone.

God bless.

It can work both ways ... drs contact pharmacies or vice versa. And if a dr finds out they will contact the other drs involved too if they are legit themself.

You're only talking about two drs but you've been refilling both for four months? I need more info to tell you much. How many times did you refill?

The particular medication is important also. Schedule II class drugs get monitored by the DEA. That's why the script drs write schedule III drugs like hydrocodone, but not oxycodone.

God bless.
    I have had about ten filled. Once I changed to the 2nd doctor I did not go back to the first. Six month. I am no longer taking them. I have been prescribed darvocet. Once I get through this prescription I am done. This has made me real nervous. I think I would rather deal with the pain.

Thank you for the help.

LondonToLA is offline Member

I have had about ten filled. Once I changed to the 2nd doctor I did not go back to the first. Six month. I am no longer taking them. I have been prescribed darvocet. Once I get through this prescription I am done. This has made me real nervous. I think I would rather deal with the pain.

Thank you for the help.
    Michele -

Like you, I have doctor shopped before (freqently in fact) for Schedule IV substance (Ambien). I have been caught before by my pharmacist(s) and doctors, but it never has escalated to the level of the DEA thank God.

I do live in a State (California) which has the CURES program which supposedly moniters all Schedule IV substances and above. http://www.ag.ca.gov/bne/trips.php To be quite honest, I am still trying to figure out where I stand with this issue; so I am very interested in this thread on a very personal level.

I have been where you are very recently. I am not judging you nor will I ever. If you can stop doctor shopping now, the sooner the better. Easier said than done, I know from first hand experience and I literally feel your fear.
    Last edited by LondonToLA; 09-07-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Thank you for the help.

Based on that scenario I think you should be okay. Especially if there are no other legal issues pending.

Good idea not doing it anymore. I think you'll be okay. Doesn't sound like it went far. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonToLA View Post
    Michele -

Like you, I have doctor shopped before (freqently in fact) for Schedule IV substance (Ambien). I have been caught before by my pharmacist(s) and doctors, but it never has escalated to the level of the DEA thank God.

I do live in a State (California) which has the CURES program which supposedly moniters all Schedule IV substances and above. http://www.ag.ca.gov/bne/trips.php To be quite honest, I am still trying to figure out where I stand with this issue; so I am very interested in this thread on a very personal level.

I have been where you are very recently. I am not judging you nor will I ever. If you can stop doctor shopping now, the sooner the better. Easier said than done, I know from first hand experience and I literally feel your fear.

Hello, I really wasnt doctor shopping. I never went to the doctor in the past except for a sinus infection. Then I had a back injury. So I went to my orginial doctor, but the wait was so long and I have a very busy job. So then I went to a doctor across the way a few times, his doctor office was busy as well. I was told by a co worker of another doctor with less wait. I went to her once. I never went to the same doctor at the same time. Well a couple of weeks ago i reveiced a letter from the doctor stating that he could no longer serve me. I have not been to a doctor since. what got me scared was I was reading a newspaper article about this. Well I got scared. I did not no it was illegal to change doctors or fill perscriptions at two pharmacys. I just went where was convient. Now I think about it no wonder they acted ugly to me. I wish someone would have said something . It was discussed for me to have a Mri but they are expensive and I am scared of the results.

Based on that scenario I think you should be okay. Especially if there are no other legal issues pending.

Good idea not doing it anymore. I think you'll be okay. Doesn't sound like it went far. God bless.
    What other legal issues???? I have never been in trouble with the law.

michelle .... that was all I meant. If you haven't had any convictions or any record of any kind I can't imagine anyone wasting time worrying over you. It was darvocet not oxycodone.

But it looks like you were chasing drs around if someone was looking at what you just posted. You can read it yourself. You went through a few drs even if innocently. I don't think anything will happen just don't do anything like that again. Keep us posted. God bless.

LOTSAPOP is offline Member

Default red flag

The doctor i was going to stopped taking patients to teach other doctors. He turnned me over to another doctor i went to once, and didn't really like. So i went to another doctor twice and didn't care for him. Started going to another doctor for about six months he was giving me low dose of vicodon after about 4 months he also wanted to give me antideppresents which alot of them give me flu like symptoms and i can't sleep but 2-3 hrs a night so. Anyway i went to another dr who gave me the same vicodons. But with my isurance they will only pay for 1 script a month. So after my 30 days where up i got the script filled. I decided to stay with my next to last dr. When i went back to him he to me ive been flagged he said he would no longer give me pain meds. But he is still my doctor
    jon11

LOTSAPOP is offline Member

Default red flag

By the way i nevered doubled up on my vicodon
    jon11

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast