Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yukidongo1
methylprednisolone vs prednisone
    manx651 is offline New Member

Default methylprednisolone vs prednisone

I keep hearing that methylprednisolone is better than prednisone as far as efficacy and side effects after making the necessary adjustments for dosage, but when I ask a doctor about it I am told they should be the same. Can anyone help me out with this one?

Thanks, Dave

Yukidongo1 is offline New Member

Default Methylpednisolons vs Prednisone

Hi Dave... Methylprednisolone is a more "potent" type of corticosteroid. It is very similar to Prednisone, and they are often used interchangeably, but it is not the same thing. Which is "better" is dependent on its use. It may even be a matter of doctor's preference. Corticosteroids all work about the same in the body. The biggest difference is how closely they resemble the "natural" form of cortisol. Dosage is adjusted to attain desired results, and they are ALL interchangeable. The exceptions to interchangeable would be if you are taking other medication with the steroid. Some antibiotics and blood thinners, for example, work differently with prednisone on board. You can adjust the dosage of Prednisone, or methylprednisolone, to the equivilent of hydrocortisone (more similar to the natural cortisol), or the other cortisol synthetics. 4 mg methylpred = 5 mg prednisone = 20 mg hydrocortisone. One other thing to factor in... There are three classes of these. The short-acting, intermediate acting and long acting. Pred and Methylpred are intermediate acting. Hydrocortisone, is a short acting, and usually requires a twice or more daily dose. Dexamethasone is a long acting and is given in smaller doses and possibly even every other day. All Corticosteroid "rules" apply to any one of them. Don't stop taking it suddenly. Don't use for longer than the doctor orders without re-evaluation, etc. If you have taken it before, you are familiar with the rules and the reasons. Hope this helps.
    karahrn likes this.