Difference between Oxycodone and OxyContin
    PulseAction is offline New Member

Default Difference between Oxycodone and OxyContin

Is there a difference or is Oxycontin just a brand name like Percocet which is just a brand of Oxycodone

"Dead men Tell no Tales"

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Oxycodone is the name of the actual opiate,oxycontin is a 12 hr sustained release form of oxycodone........Dave

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Yes, mpvt is right, it comes down to the release of the medication, there is Oxycodone controlled release, or extended release, which is taken every 12 hours, and the generic for Oxycontin. Then there is an Oxycodone immediate release, taken every 6 or so hours. So the main difference is just in how long the med lasts.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

DrJAB is offline New Member

Post Oxycodone vs Oxycotin

the difference is more than just time release. Percocet (and Percodan) are combined with and analgesic (Tylonol/Asprin). Oxicotin is not combined with any nsad. It is therefore, more potent. This explains why it is abused more than Oxycodone. When Oxycotin is chewed the time release effect is nulled and a person gets the immediate doesage of Oxycodone. Oxicotin is usually higher in dosage because of the time release. It is extremely dangerous to chew, snort, or inject the oxycotin pill.

Businessman1 is offline Member

Oxycontin is not more "potent" because it does not have tylenol. You can get 5mg and 10mg Oxycontin pills which would actually be less potent than a perc if not chewed or the same potency if chewed.

Oxycontin does however come in higher doses too. You can get 20, 40 and 80mg pills. There used to be a 160mg pill which I believe has been discontinued.

You can also get generic instant release oxycodone pills with no tylenol.

All are dangerous if the person takes more than their body can handle.

Shermand is offline New Member

The difference between oxycontin and oxycodone is just the time it takes to release into the body.
    So which is better? If I was prescibed 20mg of oxycodone IR or 20mg oxycotin CR? Would it be harmful to take that much of the IR all at once? I can't really find any parameters for the maximum amount of IR one can have in one dose. I am a large man and can usually tolerate large doses. Does it all just depend on the individual?

bloftus is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shermand View Post
    The difference between oxycontin and oxycodone is just the time it takes to release into the body.
    So which is better? If I was prescibed 20mg of oxycodone IR or 20mg oxycotin CR? Would it be harmful to take that much of the IR all at once? I can't really find any parameters for the maximum amount of IR one can have in one dose. I am a large man and can usually tolerate large doses. Does it all just depend on the individual?
    shermand - You should only take as prescribed by your doctor. To try and self medicate with an opiate is dangerous and foolish.