Autism Aggression
    TMG
    TMG is offline New Member

Default Autism Aggression

Hi,
    I'm writing in hopes that someone will have knowledge or experience in what I am needing help with.

I have an 11 yr. old boy who is autistic. He is big for his age. He weighs about 110 lbs., is very strong and he is very aggressive. He is aggressive in his special school and at home. His major problems that I need help with is definetly 1st and foremost AGGRESSION!!! He screeches,screams and yells a lot. His physical aggression is: punching, pinching, kicking, spitting excessively,slapping or banging on people, walls, windows, t.v.s anything,you name it. He scratches, tries to bend fingers back. He hits others and himself. He pulls his eyelashes out on his own, he takes out his own teeth when noone is watching. He throws things at other things or people a lot, even if it's heavy he tries to throw it. He is very hyper, doesnt sit down for long at all, but when he does its for a cartoon. He walks on his toes all the time. He stems a lot. I have tried all sorts of natural remedies, herbs, cuncoctions of all sorts. I have had his blood tested for food allergies and he is allergic to some things but not enough to be life threatening or even high on an allergic scale. He is on a very good multivitamin/mineral, taking amino acids, magnisium, liquid B complex. We tried Gabba, 5htp and lots of different things to calm him down for bed time including Calms Forte, Deep Sleep,Valerian Root..all of which didnt do a darn thing.

Please, if anyone has any knowledge of anything that is relativly safe to try to help manage these symptoms I would be very appreciative. I have checked into all sorts of antipyscotic drugs but they are very heavy in serious side affects. I'm between a rock and a mountain. I need some kind of help. If anyone knows of a family with an autistic child whom might be of help to me, I would love to talk with them to get help for my child, and for our family.

God Bless,
    TMG

marianna is offline Junior Member

My heart goes out to you.

Unfortunately I cannot offer much, but hope that the following site may be of some help.

Autism Society of America
    www.autism-society.org
    There you will find a link to Autism Source which allows you to search for information, services and support groups in your area. It may help you to find someone in a similar situation.

Good luck

Angel8 is offline New Member

Greetings: I don't know per say what this could be, and since you are dealing with Autism, there may be no telling what is the cause, but I have a problem myself with violent behavior. I know what causes mine, but do not know why. I do not know if any of these might be affecting your son, but you might look into it.

A recent study has just tied VOC's in cleaning products in the home to the massive increase in children's asthma in this country. It was on our local news stations about six months ago. I don't have the classical allergic reactions to these things like itching, burning, rash, hives, or breathing difficulties. Instead I can experience violent outbursts under the following circumstances:

An half-hour or more of exposure to chemicals or products which give off Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's) including:

Most Perfumes and Colognes, including those in soaps, hair care products, and laundry detergents, fabric softeners, and anti-static dryer sheets.

Cleaning Products (Except chlorine bleach, alcohol, and ammonia)

Air Fresheners, Potpourri, scented candles (synthetic scent only, most natural oils or scents don't bother me, except oil of wintergreen,which gives me a blinding headache from the smell)

Oil or Petroluem-based paints and solvents
    Laquer
    Varnishes and oil-base stains (polyurethanes, etc.)
    Acrylic resins
    Acetone
    Paint Thinner and Laquer Thinner
    Cigarette smoke
    Epoxy
    Car Exhaust
    Petrochemicals
    Brake Part Cleaner
    Contact Cement, rubber cement, and other such adhesives
    New Synthetic Carpet
    New Vinyl or PVC sheeting
    Some Plastics
    Dry-erase or Permanent markers
    Pesticides
    Herbicides

And the list goes on. Essentially, for me, if it has a smell and it isn't organic (plant related, like fruit, flowers, etc.) Synthetics are the worst. I cannot be around it for more than a few minutes before coming down with headache, fuzzy vision, dizziness, disorientation, and soon after, red vision and angry, violent behavior. It takes me 6 or more hours to come down off a bad exposure. Because these things affect my mind first, sometimes I don't realize it is happening to me until it is too late. Usually I have just enough shreds of civilization left to realize I need to get away from people until I come down.

Acetominophen will cause this to happen in me almost the moment I take it. The last (only the second time I ever took any) time I ingested acetominophen it took 3 people to get a baseball bat out of my hands.
    I was 13, 5'4" and weighed about 115 lbs at the time. I have met only one other person who told me that Tylenol (And he said it through gritted teeth) made him "Really, Really Tense!" I am in the process of researching this problem right now, to see if I can find out why.

Wheat allergy is also known to cause violence in children, usually the kids who are reacting to this have big black circles under their eyes when it is happening to them. Used to affect people who worked in flour mills, was called millers syndrome or millers disease, I think.

Some friends of mine had a hyper kid they took off tunafish and his behavior improved dramatically. We don't know why.

None of these is what would be considered a standard "allergic" reaction. Allergy tests may or may not reveal some of these kind of symptoms.

Is the kid on any mood-altering drugs? Anything that elevates his serotonin levels? I am currently pursuing this as a possible clue to my own problem, having found a reference to this as a rare side effect of acetominophen. Serotonin Syndrome can cause agitated behavior or mood swings. There are a number of drugs which can produce it, especially in combinations.

Does he experience the violent behavior within say two to three hours of having eaten a meal? Low blood sugar causes irritability and mood swings. Very severe hypoglycemics can run around naked, self mutilate, and become temporarily sociopathic and not even know they are doing it. I get it to a much lesser degree. In my case, if I get hungry enough, the irritability factor skyrockets, and I feel so bad physically that I will go through whoever is standing in front of me in order to get to the food just to try to feel better and not even care what I have just done until the sugar levels start to come back up. Sometimes I may remember what I did or said, but not always. As long as I remember to eat about every 3-4 hours, this is not a problem.

Consequently, I have never taken alcohol or drugs, and when my doctor prescribes medicine for me that I have not taken before, he gets a sample and I take it and sit in his office for several hours until we see what it is going to do to me. It has been 9 years since my last one of these episodes was induced by a 3 hour exposure to an epoxy compound in my Wood class in college. It has taken me many years to recognize the progression of the symptoms so I can remember to get away from the smell before it goes too far.

Again, I don't know if any of this will help you, but it can't hurt to look. I wish you luck in your search.

kellrx is offline Member

I have actually heard, from a friend who is working with him, that there is a doctor who thinks he found the cure for autism. He's finding that it is caused by being born without an enzyme that rids the body of mercury. He can stop the disease, and if young enough, most children can re-learn everything and be almost symptom free. Try searching the internet for it, if you want his info, put a post on this board Attn Kellrx, and I will try to find the info for you.

John j. d. is offline New Member

Default Have similar situation.

Hi, My name is John and I am the brother of a 44 yr. old autistic man. He has or had many of the characteristics of your boy,maybe not as severe. Over time I developed a technique of meditation that stemmed from full body restraint. He is now practically episode free. Please contact me for further discussion. John j. d.

jane.prine is offline New Member

Default aggression

Hi,
    I am an associate teacher in a classroom of 6 severe and profound autistic spectrum children. I am familiar with the behaviors you are experiencing. I would like first to know where you are? State, town? is your child in a special school? do you have respite care? family support? a great pediatrician? Then, I suggest you go online to youtube and look up 'Temple Grandin, My Experience with Autism." i think you will find her speech interesting. But most importantly, i think, is when she talks about medication... I really recommend looking it up. Then, you are welcome to respond to this, though i will forget to check back, or email at jane.prine@gmail.com. Or, you may call me, 515-360-9814. I'm in Central time.

there is support.

Jane

It may be called 'chelation'

Milk allergies, or, perhaps, lactose intolerance can produce aggressive or violent behaviors and rages.

dude. eat every 2 hours. proteins.

Default for TMG

Quote Originally Posted by jane.prine View Post
    Hi,
    I am an associate teacher in a classroom of 6 severe and profound autistic spectrum children. I am familiar with the behaviors you are experiencing. I would like first to know where you are? State, town? is your child in a special school? do you have respite care? family support? a great pediatrician? Then, I suggest you go online to youtube and look up 'Temple Grandin, My Experience with Autism." i think you will find her speech interesting. But most importantly, i think, is when she talks about medication... I really recommend looking it up. Then, you are welcome to respond to this, though i will forget to check back, or email at jane.prine@gmail.com. Or, you may call me, 515-360-9814. I'm in Central time.

there is support.

Jane
    this is for TMG