Voltaren Gel Dosage
Generic name: DICLOFENAC SODIUM 10mg in 1g
Dosage form: gel
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Dosing Card [See the patient Instructions for Use]
The dosing card can be found attached to the inside of the carton.
The proper amount of VOLTAREN® GEL should be measured using the dosing card supplied in the drug product carton. The dosing card is made of clear polypropylene. The dosing card should be used for each application of drug product. The gel should be applied within the oblong area of the dosing card up to the 2 gram or 4 gram line (2 g for each elbow, wrist, or hand, and 4 g for each knee, ankle, or foot). The 2 g line is 2.25 inches long. The 4 g line is 4.5 inches long. The dosing card containing VOLTAREN® GEL can be used to apply the gel. The hands should then be used to gently rub the gel into the skin. After using the dosing card, hold with fingertips, rinse, and dry. If treatment site is the hands, patients should wait at least one (1) hour to wash their hands.
Lower extremities, including the knees, ankles, and feet
Apply the gel (4 g) to the affected foot or knee or ankle, 4 times daily. VOLTAREN® GEL should be gently massaged into the skin ensuring application to the entire affected foot or knee or ankle. The entire foot includes the sole, top of the foot and the toes. Do not apply more than 16 g daily to any single joint of the lower extremities.
Upper extremities including the elbows, wrists and hands
Apply the gel (2 g) to the affected hand or elbow or wrist, 4 times daily. VOLTAREN® GEL should be gently massaged into the skin ensuring application to the entire affected hand or elbow or wrist. The entire hand includes the palm, back of the hands, and the fingers. Do not apply more than 8 g daily to any single joint of the upper extremities.
Total dose should not exceed 32 g per day, over all affected joints.
- Showering/bathing should be avoided for at least 1 hour after the application. Patient should wash his/her hands after use, unless the hands are the treated joint. If VOLTAREN® GEL is applied to the hand(s) for treatment; patient should not wash the treated hand(s) for at least 1 hour after the application.
- VOLTAREN® GEL should not be applied to open wounds.
- Contact of VOLTAREN® GEL with eyes and mucous membranes should be avoided.
- External heat and/or occlusive dressings should not be applied to treated joints.
- Exposure of the treated joint(s) to sunlight should be avoided.
- Avoid concomitant use of VOLTAREN® GEL on the treated skin site with other topical products, including sunscreens, cosmetics, lotions, moisturizers, insect repellants, or other topical medications [see Drug Interactions (7.9)].
- Concomitant use of VOLTAREN® GEL with oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) has not been evaluated, and may increase adverse NSAIDs effects.
- Wearing of clothing or gloves should be avoided for at least 10 minutes after applying VOLTAREN® GEL.