User Reviews for Restoril

Learn more about Restoril.

Insomnia 38 reviews 102 medications

7.6
Summary of Restoril reviews 38 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Restoril

For Insomnia "Tried ambien but it lost it effect around 10 months. Lunesta tasted like I sucked on a roll of pennies all night. Trazodone just wasn't really effective. I take 30mg of restoril about 20 mins before I need to be in bed. Otherwise I've awaken in different parts of house. I also take a .75mg give or take .25mg of Xanax as a kicker. I would have problems staying asleep. Sometimes no more sleep that night sometimes the crappy toss n turn sleep till you get mad n get up. Then drag ass all day. Occasionally I still get one of those nights but they are once in a long while. It works for me and I recommend (but does not for a friend) If you've tried the others give it a try it's cheap nothing to loose."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 7, 2015

For Insomnia "I have suffered from complex insomnia (trouble falling asleep as well as trouble staying asleep), secondary to severe major depressive disorder, for many years. I have lost count of the sleep meds that worked for a while until I developed a tolerance. I have walked a tightrope between meds that don't help at all and those that make me sleep all day. My current solution is a combination of temazepam to help me fall asleep and Seroquel to help me stay asleep. It's the result of a lot of trial and error, and it is regulating my sleep better than anything I have ever experienced. Now if can just avoid building up a tolerance..."

jeffreydbrown (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2014

For Insomnia "Been on numerous sleeping aids for years. After a while they don't always work. At present I'm on 30mg-Temazepam. It takes 2 hrs. for it to work on me. After 2 1/2 hrs and still haven't fallen asleep I have to take some over the counter medicine with it. Been on Ambien and Lunesta prior. Don't know what else to do."

b2g1947 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 15, 2014

For Insomnia "It helps you fall asleep. But does not help you stay asleep. I wake up at 3:00 every morning. It is very frustrating. I am on 15 mg."

Clc 46 December 15, 2014

For Insomnia "Been not sleeping for over 10 months now. Usually over the years just a week at a time. This time up 3-4 times a night. About 4 hours of sleep. Started Restoril last night. Slept straight through. Yeay"

ronil1623sue November 23, 2014

For Insomnia "I took 15mg when 1st prescribed the medication, it did nothing. The 2nd night I tried 30mg, it worked, but the 3rd night I tried 30....still up, I took another 15mg. Hope to feel sleepy soon."

Sleep deprived August 11, 2014

For Insomnia "False awakening dreams, night mares, vivid dreams, reduced effectiveness over time."

Ben_Reu (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2014

For Insomnia "This is the best sleeping pill I've ever tried. 30 years now, and still no tolerance issues. I wake up refreshed, no hangover, unlike all the other sleeping pills, as temazepam is very mild, yet it keeps you asleep. I take 15 or 30 mg, depending how I feel. I have tried Halcion and Dalmane, which weren't very effective. I also tried Ambien in the mid 90s and had horrible sleepwalking episodes. This has never happened with Restoril."

fn January 21, 2014

151 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "For months been having severe insomnia. Waking 3 or 4 times during the night, never getting more than 4 hours of sleep. Twice in the span of a week and a half no sleep at all. Always feeling tired but not drowsy. I was given prescription for 10.-15mg of Restoril by an ER doctor. Took half a dose one afternoon and slept for 3 hours. Took the other half that early evening and knocked out after 20 minutes and slept for 6 hours. No side effects. Feeling better. "

slumber 52 (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2013

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "Usally works within 15 mins"

jdpi (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2013

For Insomnia "Restoril has been great. I sleep 6 hours and wake up feeling refreshed, no hangover effects. I took trazodone, Ambien, and Lunesta before. None have been as effective. I have very few nights where I struggle getting to sleep on 15mg."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2013

For Insomnia "I used it along with Paxill. I used it every night for about 2 1/2 years. It did the job of getting me to sleep very well. It would without fail cause me to sleep. It lasted 4 hours, then I would wake up often, but I felt quite rested. Only occasionally would I take a second dose feeling that I needed more sleep. DO NOT MIX WITH ALCOHOL. "

Challenged 111 August 24, 2013

For Insomnia "Worked OK! Little blurry vision but not bad! Slept good 6 hours! Ambien is a lot better just sometimes you do things and don't remember the next morning!"

Dustin31 June 17, 2013

For Insomnia "Restoril really helped me sleep. Sleeplessness was the cause of fibromyalgia for me and my rheumatologist prescribed it and I was able to sleep and deal with physical pain. What he did not tell me at all was the potential dangers of it. DO NOT drink and take it. You could die because it can cause your respiratory system to shut down. If you have taken it a long time, DO NOT wean yourself off abruptly. You could have seizures. I am being slowly weaned off of it by a doctor who is alternating dosages from 15 mg. to 30 mg. per night. I plan on giving myself plenty of time to get off of it. Be careful which medicines you use with it such as anti-inflammatories. They can increase the effects of the medicine without your expecting it."

Markesha (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2013

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I work nights and sleep during the day going on 9 yrs and have never been able to get comfortable trying to sleep during the day. I averaged 4 maybe 5hrs of broken sleep, felt exhausted all the time. Doctor started me on Ambien it worked but I would wake up and still feel the effects, So Doctor changed me to 30mg Restoril. What a God send! It only takes about 20-30min to work for me, I sleep for 6-8 hrs and wake up feeling refreshed and without any "hungover" feeling. If you're having troubles sleeping it's worth a shot. I never thought I would be able to sleep normal again, been sleeping good for 2yrs now."

daedae99 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 17, 2013

For Insomnia "I've been taking Restoril a little over a year now. At first they work wonders but when your body gets used to it it does not work anymore. Next time I see my Dr I'm going to ask for something else."

Jules76 April 9, 2013

For Insomnia "I have taken 30mg for several years now. Worked well at first. Slept well with only slight sleepy "hangover". As time went by less and less effective. Before bed I curently take 30mg Restoril, an antidepressant that is supposed to make me tired (Lamictal), 0.5mg clonazepam or 5mg Valium, and 2 Benadryl and I still lay in bed awake for 2 or 4 hours before falling asleep. Sometimes I have to call in sick to work because it is 4 am and I haven't fallen asleep yet and know I can't get up in 2 hours and function for work. Restoril is great for about a year but I would plan on switching to something else after that!"

36 yr old female (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 15, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "I take this about three times a week to help me sleep. I have had insomnia for two years. Even though I work 12-14 hours a day and jog 5 miles 4 times a week, I still could not sleep. Started taking this and it did not do much at first. But now it really works! I can sleep about 7 hours and only wake once or twice and can go back to sleep pretty quickly usually. I wish I could take it every night but doing this lessens its effect on me. I save it for 3 nights a week and struggle through the others. Side effects are constipation, I never 'go' the next day. Also, pretty bad rebound insomnia, I do not sleep well the night after I have taken it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 14, 2013

For Insomnia "I took Restoril for about 5 years. It really helped me fall asleep and stay asleep. When I woke in the morning I wouldn't have any hangover effects, I would feel refreshed. It also didn't cause me to sleep so heavily that I couldn't wake if necessary. Unfortunately after about 5 years it stopped working. I was taking 30mg a night (sometimes a little more if I needed to go to bed earlier than usual). I wish it still worked, it was a great medicine while it lasted."

sleepyhead1982 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 1, 2013

For Insomnia "Slept really good. Didn't wake up once. Usually get up about four times to go to the bathroom and get comfortable. First time to use last night. Had a hangover and had to sleep more. Will try again tonight. Usually takes me two hours to go to sleep but not last night...thank goodness."

Anonymous August 3, 2012

For Insomnia "Best I've had for insomnia."

Maebe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2012

For Insomnia "Sometimes I do not fall asleep for hours. Usually out in about an hour. I never sleep for more than 4-5 hours. I admit I do sleep a bit longer when I take it but not by much. I have been using Restoril for over a year."

Still Tired April 12, 2012

For Insomnia "I started taking Restoril last night. I slept a full 8 hrs. I woke up feeling refreshed. Aside from the fact that I made a few phone calls in my sleep, I loved it. And it works quickly. I fell asleep in like 20 minutes, great+. Hope this helps."

M.S.W. March 10, 2012

For Insomnia "I have used this medicine for 7 years and it works great. I was using 30 mg but now I am using 15 mg. I sleep well but I heard I talk in my sleep alot. I haved stopped sugar and caffine and all sweets 4 hours prior to bed. I feel it helps alot better that way. Relaxing shower before bed as well."

Anonymous February 27, 2012

For Insomnia "I just started taking this medication 30mgs at bed time and it works great, but I also take 2mgs of Xanax in the morning and 2mgs at night so it really works well."

jim heckler January 29, 2012