User Reviews for Restoril

Learn more about Restoril.

Restoril Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Restoril to treat Insomnia

"Temazapam is the only med that treats my insomnia. I have tried every non benzo on the market, and have been in numerous sleep studies. I sometimes go 3-4 days with the average sleep of those days being 1-2 hours total. I was prescribed 40mg temazapam and can get a solid 8 hours of sleep. I cycle it seven days at a time to reset my sleep cycles as needed."

I hate math July 15, 2015

"The 15 mg did nothing for me. Doc increased it to 30. I take on an empty stomach because that's the only way it hits me. Yes there are vivid dreams but after 43 years of never feeling I got to the dream stage I love the dreams! I've been on ambien. Another good one but only lasts a couple hours. This should keep you sleeping all night. I do notice a little irrability first thing in a.am but within an hour I'm fine. I've also been on sonata, Lunesta and belsomra that did nothing for me. This drug won't knock you out. You just feel that heavy eyes feeling. High recommend!"

Best insomnia aid I've found s (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

"My greatest mistake with Restoril 30mg was taking the medication prior to my sleep cycle. Because I was so deprived of sleep, I took the medication at 9pm which is approximately 2 hours before my bedtime. "At bedtime" refers to an individual's bedtime; therefore, I was awake all night! This medication must be taken specifically and shortly before an individual's bedtime. Silly me. My physician explained why I did not sleep that evening and gave me at full description of sleep cycle which changed a sleepless night into a somewhat sleep full night; about 4-5 hours."

Giovannina (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2015

"Due to major anxiety and stress can't sleep before 6-7:30am was put on anti-anxiety pill and Restoril today. The anti-anxiety pill kicked in fast and made me kinda drowsy but the Restoril 30mg I just took 45 min ago doesn't seem to be kicking in. Should I take another? I do drink ale here and there but that should increase my effect not stop it right? Maybe I should get used to Vampire hours!! This sucks lol"

Feel like a vampire! (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

"Tried ambien but it lost it effect around 10 months. Lunesta tasted like I sucked on a roll of pennies all night. Trazodone just wasn't really effective. I take 30mg of restoril about 20 mins before I need to be in bed. Otherwise I've awaken in different parts of house. I also take a .75mg give or take .25mg of Xanax as a kicker. I would have problems staying asleep. Sometimes no more sleep that night sometimes the crappy toss n turn sleep till you get mad n get up. Then drag ass all day. Occasionally I still get one of those nights but they are once in a long while. It works for me and I recommend (but does not for a friend) If you've tried the others give it a try it's cheap nothing to loose."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 7, 2015

"I have suffered from complex insomnia (trouble falling asleep as well as trouble staying asleep), secondary to severe major depressive disorder, for many years. I have lost count of the sleep meds that worked for a while until I developed a tolerance. I have walked a tightrope between meds that don't help at all and those that make me sleep all day. My current solution is a combination of temazepam to help me fall asleep and Seroquel to help me stay asleep. It's the result of a lot of trial and error, and it is regulating my sleep better than anything I have ever experienced. Now if can just avoid building up a tolerance..."

jeffreydbrown (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2014

"Been on numerous sleeping aids for years. After a while they don't always work. At present I'm on 30mg-Temazepam. It takes 2 hrs. for it to work on me. After 2 1/2 hrs and still haven't fallen asleep I have to take some over the counter medicine with it. Been on Ambien and Lunesta prior. Don't know what else to do."

b2g1947 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 15, 2014

"It helps you fall asleep. But does not help you stay asleep. I wake up at 3:00 every morning. It is very frustrating. I am on 15 mg."

Clc 46 December 15, 2014

"Been not sleeping for over 10 months now. Usually over the years just a week at a time. This time up 3-4 times a night. About 4 hours of sleep. Started Restoril last night. Slept straight through. Yeay"

ronil1623sue November 23, 2014

"I took 15mg when 1st prescribed the medication, it did nothing. The 2nd night I tried 30mg, it worked, but the 3rd night I tried 30....still up, I took another 15mg. Hope to feel sleepy soon."

Sleep deprived August 11, 2014

"False awakening dreams, night mares, vivid dreams, reduced effectiveness over time."

Ben_Reu (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2014

"This is the best sleeping pill I've ever tried. 30 years now, and still no tolerance issues. I wake up refreshed, no hangover, unlike all the other sleeping pills, as temazepam is very mild, yet it keeps you asleep. I take 15 or 30 mg, depending how I feel. I have tried Halcion and Dalmane, which weren't very effective. I also tried Ambien in the mid 90s and had horrible sleepwalking episodes. This has never happened with Restoril."

fn January 21, 2014

161 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"For months been having severe insomnia. Waking 3 or 4 times during the night, never getting more than 4 hours of sleep. Twice in the span of a week and a half no sleep at all. Always feeling tired but not drowsy. I was given prescription for 10.-15mg of Restoril by an ER doctor. Took half a dose one afternoon and slept for 3 hours. Took the other half that early evening and knocked out after 20 minutes and slept for 6 hours. No side effects. Feeling better. "

slumber 52 (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2013

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Usally works within 15 mins"

jdpi (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2013

"Restoril has been great. I sleep 6 hours and wake up feeling refreshed, no hangover effects. I took trazodone, Ambien, and Lunesta before. None have been as effective. I have very few nights where I struggle getting to sleep on 15mg."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I used it along with Paxill. I used it every night for about 2 1/2 years. It did the job of getting me to sleep very well. It would without fail cause me to sleep. It lasted 4 hours, then I would wake up often, but I felt quite rested. Only occasionally would I take a second dose feeling that I needed more sleep. DO NOT MIX WITH ALCOHOL. "

Challenged 111 August 24, 2013

"Worked OK! Little blurry vision but not bad! Slept good 6 hours! Ambien is a lot better just sometimes you do things and don't remember the next morning!"

Dustin31 June 17, 2013

"Restoril really helped me sleep. Sleeplessness was the cause of fibromyalgia for me and my rheumatologist prescribed it and I was able to sleep and deal with physical pain. What he did not tell me at all was the potential dangers of it. DO NOT drink and take it. You could die because it can cause your respiratory system to shut down. If you have taken it a long time, DO NOT wean yourself off abruptly. You could have seizures. I am being slowly weaned off of it by a doctor who is alternating dosages from 15 mg. to 30 mg. per night. I plan on giving myself plenty of time to get off of it. Be careful which medicines you use with it such as anti-inflammatories. They can increase the effects of the medicine without your expecting it."

Markesha (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2013

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been taking Restoril a little over a year now. At first they work wonders but when your body gets used to it it does not work anymore. Next time I see my Dr I'm going to ask for something else."

Jules76 April 9, 2013

"I have taken 30mg for several years now. Worked well at first. Slept well with only slight sleepy "hangover". As time went by less and less effective. Before bed I curently take 30mg Restoril, an antidepressant that is supposed to make me tired (Lamictal), 0.5mg clonazepam or 5mg Valium, and 2 Benadryl and I still lay in bed awake for 2 or 4 hours before falling asleep. Sometimes I have to call in sick to work because it is 4 am and I haven't fallen asleep yet and know I can't get up in 2 hours and function for work. Restoril is great for about a year but I would plan on switching to something else after that!"

36 yr old female (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 15, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I take this about three times a week to help me sleep. I have had insomnia for two years. Even though I work 12-14 hours a day and jog 5 miles 4 times a week, I still could not sleep. Started taking this and it did not do much at first. But now it really works! I can sleep about 7 hours and only wake once or twice and can go back to sleep pretty quickly usually. I wish I could take it every night but doing this lessens its effect on me. I save it for 3 nights a week and struggle through the others. Side effects are constipation, I never 'go' the next day. Also, pretty bad rebound insomnia, I do not sleep well the night after I have taken it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 14, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Restoril for about 5 years. It really helped me fall asleep and stay asleep. When I woke in the morning I wouldn't have any hangover effects, I would feel refreshed. It also didn't cause me to sleep so heavily that I couldn't wake if necessary. Unfortunately after about 5 years it stopped working. I was taking 30mg a night (sometimes a little more if I needed to go to bed earlier than usual). I wish it still worked, it was a great medicine while it lasted."

sleepyhead1982 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 1, 2013

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Slept really good. Didn't wake up once. Usually get up about four times to go to the bathroom and get comfortable. First time to use last night. Had a hangover and had to sleep more. Will try again tonight. Usually takes me two hours to go to sleep but not last night...thank goodness."

Anonymous August 3, 2012

"Best I've had for insomnia."

Maebe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2012

"Sometimes I do not fall asleep for hours. Usually out in about an hour. I never sleep for more than 4-5 hours. I admit I do sleep a bit longer when I take it but not by much. I have been using Restoril for over a year."

Still Tired April 12, 2012