User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Sumatriptan review summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Cluster Headaches.

Reviews for Sumatriptan to treat Cluster Headaches

Review by dmags:

Cluster sufferer

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 20, 2014 7:50 PM

Review by John ( Cluster Sufferer 35 yrs ):

Imitrex (sumatriptan): Imitrex in any form is the Best med for Cluster headaches by far. High flow oxygen at first twinge, and the pill at the onset (even if you think it might hurt) Most effective. You all know how fast they come on. Usually work immediately unless late in a cycle. I too wish you could take more than twice in a 24 hr period. After suffering for almost 20 yrs with no medicine at All. For these crippling things. I have tried all Imitrex types, injections ,pills, nasal sprays. Injections are fast but so very expensive and painful as well. Nasal spray is nauseating for me, the pill form has always worked well if taken at the very BLINK of headache. Because of price and insurance restrictions I would wait to take the medicine. Not anymore.

July 2, 2014 12:48 PM

Review by Lynn Rose Miles:

Imitrex (sumatriptan): I have been using Imitrex since it first came out in the 90's. It was a God send. I've had migraines for 42 years. I get about six migraines a month. Imitrex always works BUT for me I pay a price with stomach aches. Sometimes I refrain from taking Imitrex for fear of the stomach pains.

June 22, 2014 9:02 AM

Review by June moon:

Imitrex (sumatriptan): Imitrex works very well for my eyeball pain, light and odour, toxic smells, nasal stuffiness that leads to migraines. Migraines. I am sensitive to gluten of all kinds, if I ingest some, I WILL get nasal stuffiness that will lead to a migraine or cluster headaches. Imitrex works in 45 mins, sometimes sleep is needed to take it away. Sometimes I get migraines for a week or so. Sometimes I take it as a last resort, after trying allergy meds, Tylenol or Valium. But Imitrex works for me. I eat very healthy, no breads of any kind, no gluten, very little sugar. I read all labels, eat mostly veges and meat, mostly organic, I'm getting better at that.

May 23, 2014 2:18 AM

Review by Debbie42:

Imitrex (sumatriptan): This is a miracle for me. Cluster headaches would put me out of commission for 2 days. Imitrex gets rid of the intense pain of my eye feeling like it might pop out of my head! The first few times I took it I had side effects of the heavy feeling on my chest and in my muscles after 3x I can take with no side effects. I've only taken it 5x but still working great.

December 4, 2013 11:29 PM

Review by The Axxeman (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been dealing with episodes of cluster headaches for 30 years. Nothing has ever made a dent in the pain besides this and Zomig nasal spray. The slight pain of the injection is a very small price to pay to relieve the crushing pain of a cluster headache. For me the trick for both medicines is to catch it as early as possible, before the headache is full blown. I'm never more than a minute or two away from a dose. Besides feeling a little weak afterwards (which would have been worse with the headache anyway), so far I don't have any real side effects.

August 8, 2013 1:21 AM

Review by Sman1166:

I'm 46 yrs old and was diagnosed with cluster headaches in my late 20's. I was prescribed sumatriptan last week due to my new spell which started 2 weeks ago, and the medicine is working great for me. When ones coming on, I take a 50mg pill, and it starts working within minutes. I feel and hear crackling noises in my head, as well as my nasal cavity and eye socket, and miraculously it starts to lift away. In some cases though I had to take a second pill because the first didn't work completely, but within 30 to 45 minutes I'm relaxed and pain free. Since they've taken Cafergot off the market I've been without any medicine at all, trying steroids my neurologist experimented with, which didn't work at all. Sumatriptan is working.

July 29, 2013 12:38 PM

Review by TreeSaver3 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Imitrex (sumatriptan): I suffered for several years before I found a specialist who diagnosed me properly and prescribed this great medicine.

June 23, 2013 3:17 AM

Review by trixiesmama5825:

Imitrex (sumatriptan): I've just started taking Imitrex, the first time I took it, I thought I was getting lock jaw. I was quite worried. I took it again the next day though because it did take care of my headache. Since the first time I took it, the side effects have been minor. Hopefully it stays this way.

April 28, 2013 11:05 AM

Review by Angela Judith:

This is the first time I have used Sumatriptan , it was Arrow-Sumatriptan injection. I immediately felt a slight pressure in my chest and a pushing in my temples and the base of my skull and felt tired and weak. There was a tingling sensation in my nose and my throat was ultra sensitive. It is an hour since I injected and my cluster headache has eased but not gone away yet. My eye has stopped streaming and nose not running so fast and I look slightly more human. I had hoped for better than this but it is an improvement.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2013 5:23 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Imitrex (sumatriptan): Imitrex injection is sometimes the only thing that will stop the headache. Even when on Verapamil I can get head bangers that blow through, when this happens Imitrex can be the added push.

September 27, 2012 3:46 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Imitrex (sumatriptan): I suffered with cluster headaches for about 15 years before finally receiving an Imitrex injection in the hospital ER. My headache was gone within 5-10 minutes, I thought it was a miracle. I do not leave home without it!

June 23, 2012 5:02 AM

Review by Dan6248:

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan): It worked to abort a cluster headache. Just as effective, but not any more so, than the needle version of Imitrex/sumatriptan. The injection stung quite a bit and left a fairly nasty welt similar to a wasp sting, and it bled a little bit, but it worked as advertised.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2012 1:09 PM

Review by VandaMtl (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Imitrex Nasal (sumatriptan): If I take Imitrex Nasal spray 20mg in first 2-3 min when symptoms of Cluster Headaches start it's great chance that my headaches will last max 20 min, but sometimes doesn't work at all.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 5, 2012 2:12 PM

This is magic. I use the injection and in less than five minutes you find the pain disappearing. It is so relieving.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2012 4:19 AM

Review by mikey s:

I've had clusters for as long as I can remember ... but they've gotten worse as I've gotten older. First doc prescribed Frova which didn't help at all, but the most recent doctor I've seen prescribed sumatriptan. I can't believe how quickly this worked. My headaches usually lasted 3 hours even after taking 3-4 Aleve. Sumatriptan has knocked them out in 15 minutes. I feel a bit jittery after, and have extreme taste sensitivity for a few hours, but it's well worth it. This medicine is a miracle.

April 15, 2012 2:18 PM

Review by Suederby:

They are really good - I need one about 3 times a year. Nothing else works. After having a headache for 3 consecutive days - I reach for the super tablet. Highly recommended!

January 25, 2012 7:14 AM

Review by BiggTexx:

Imitrex (sumatriptan): Gets rid of my headaches easily but sometimes takes an hour before it works. Taking it on an empty stomach seems to speed up things. The only down side is they are quite expensive even with insurance.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 17, 2011 2:59 PM

Review by MKE chris:

Imitrex (sumatriptan): Best one for me in the 20 some yrs I've had to deal with them. I've taken 100mg pills all along.

May 14, 2011 12:57 PM

Review by Gr8:

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan): I just use the Sumavel, it stings in application area for 2-5 minutes, but my headache was gone in about 5 minutes. I felt little dizzy after wards. Highly recommended and well worth it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2011 11:40 AM

Review by jhewel:

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan): This medicine works fast and it is the best I have had so far for acute cluster headache. Highly recommended.

August 22, 2010 4:21 PM

Review by bikerscan:

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan): Fast relief after injecting. Haven't had many other treatments. I use for cluster headaches.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2010 8:16 AM

Review by phodge:

Imitrex (sumatriptan): I have suffered from cluster headaches for over 15 years and have tried almost everything offered by hospitals and over the counter. I recently was given Imitrex in a nasal spray by my doctor and as long as your nasal passage is clear I have found that about five to ten minutes after you taste it in your throat the headaches go away. It is the best medicine I have ever come across for cluster headaches and my days and nights are much better because of it.

April 24, 2010 1:20 AM

Review by Dmyank:

Imitrex (sumatriptan): Injections are expensive...but they are the only thing that I have found that work for my cluster headaches. Truly a lifesaver. The burning sensation is ugly, but better than the viciousness ripping of my head to pieces.

April 13, 2010 10:31 AM

Review by KamikazeOzzie:

Imitrex Nasal (sumatriptan): Once the Cluster Headache begins, it takes 11 minutes for the medication to kick in and eliminate the headache for me.

April 4, 2010 3:48 PM