User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Sumatriptan Review Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Cluster Headaches.

Reviews for Sumatriptan to treat Cluster Headaches

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Imatrex has helped me 100% with my cluster headaches. Certain foods trigger these painful headaches and even though I know most of the triggers and even though I try to avoid them its impossible to eat and not have at least one or two of these triggers in my food. My doctor tried me on several pain meds for these headaches but nothing worked. The headaches got so bad I was literally pulling my hair out and was thinking about suicide. Then my doctor gave me Imatrex. As long as I know I have access to Imatrex I am fine. I finally went to a wonderful neurologist who has been very patient in trying other meds to work with the Imatrex. I do take the generic of Imatrex."

DsisyInFlorida (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2015

"I have been a cluster headache suffer for 25 years.....My Dad suffers as well....I remember him sitting in a chair day after day, night after night with no real relief. I never could understand or know how intense the attacks were until I started with mine...lucky my dad was prescribed Imitrex in the 90's at the beginning of mine... his words and mine are that this drug is a god send for us suffers.......My issue is now my insurance company will only approve 2 boxes of shots (4) per month. So my only way is to stock pile these 2 boxes every month until my next attack....well I'm out and now I wiil use coupons or any other way to purchase these on my own to try to save $ ...Sad UHC will not approve the number of shots needed for each episode"

GK - Florida (taken for 10 years or more) March 26, 2015

"I can make the injections last by using only 1/3 a vial per cluster attack. I take the vial out of the auto injector and use a q-tip to press in the amount. After this I wait exactly 9 minutes and the headache is gone. I had a very hard time getting enough injections from my insurance to cover all the cluster headaches I was getting and this method helped me handle 3x more than I could before! I do feel my headache pain jumping from a 3 -> 10 immediately after injection. Taking the 100mg tablets does not cause this increase in pain, but the wait is about 25-30 mins for relief. Sometimes I can tell which headaches to use either the injection or pill for."

dr_darth (taken for 10 years or more) March 12, 2015

"I was recently prescribed Imigran, the European version of Imitrex for Acute Cluster Headache, in the injection form pretty much life changing. I'd previously tried Oral Sumatriptan for Cluster Headaches but that just did not seem effective and once a full blown attack had started the pill did not seem to abort the headache. Injectable Sumatriptan though has proved to be a totally different thing and even when the pain is at its peak, once injected its probably 10 minutes maximum before the headache is gone, totally gone. I've suffered from Cluster Headaches for many years and only wish I'd tried this sooner, for me, it has been just brilliant. Having used it several times now have not had any side effects whatsoever, fantastic."

MartinVG (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2015

"The first time I used the Dosepro, I was leary. Within 10 minutes I was not only relieved of my migraine, but it was the most clear headed I felt in forever. The second dose I took, I was not near my medicine and I had a full blown migraine, so it wasn't as good but a very close second. I love this. Freedom to make plans and not have to worry about cancelling due to migraine. Yeah!"

dezjrrdrs (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2014

"Cluster sufferer"

dmags October 20, 2014

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Imitrex in any form is the Best med for Cluster headaches by far. High flow oxygen at first twinge, and the pill at the onset (even if you think it might hurt) Most effective. You all know how fast they come on. Usually work immediately unless late in a cycle. I too wish you could take more than twice in a 24 hr period. After suffering for almost 20 yrs with no medicine at All. For these crippling things. I have tried all Imitrex types, injections ,pills, nasal sprays. Injections are fast but so very expensive and painful as well. Nasal spray is nauseating for me, the pill form has always worked well if taken at the very BLINK of headache. Because of price and insurance restrictions I would wait to take the medicine. Not anymore."

John ( Cluster Sufferer 35 yrs ) July 2, 2014

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "I have been using Imitrex since it first came out in the 90's. It was a God send. I've had migraines for 42 years. I get about six migraines a month. Imitrex always works BUT for me I pay a price with stomach aches. Sometimes I refrain from taking Imitrex for fear of the stomach pains."

Lynn Rose Miles June 22, 2014

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Imitrex works very well for my eyeball pain, light and odour, toxic smells, nasal stuffiness that leads to migraines. Migraines. I am sensitive to gluten of all kinds, if I ingest some, I WILL get nasal stuffiness that will lead to a migraine or cluster headaches. Imitrex works in 45 mins, sometimes sleep is needed to take it away. Sometimes I get migraines for a week or so. Sometimes I take it as a last resort, after trying allergy meds, Tylenol or Valium. But Imitrex works for me. I eat very healthy, no breads of any kind, no gluten, very little sugar. I read all labels, eat mostly veges and meat, mostly organic, I'm getting better at that. "

June moon May 23, 2014

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "This is a miracle for me. Cluster headaches would put me out of commission for 2 days. Imitrex gets rid of the intense pain of my eye feeling like it might pop out of my head! The first few times I took it I had side effects of the heavy feeling on my chest and in my muscles after 3x I can take with no side effects. I've only taken it 5x but still working great."

Debbie42 December 4, 2013

"I've been dealing with episodes of cluster headaches for 30 years. Nothing has ever made a dent in the pain besides this and Zomig nasal spray. The slight pain of the injection is a very small price to pay to relieve the crushing pain of a cluster headache. For me the trick for both medicines is to catch it as early as possible, before the headache is full blown. I'm never more than a minute or two away from a dose. Besides feeling a little weak afterwards (which would have been worse with the headache anyway), so far I don't have any real side effects."

The Axxeman (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2013

"I'm 46 yrs old and was diagnosed with cluster headaches in my late 20's. I was prescribed sumatriptan last week due to my new spell which started 2 weeks ago, and the medicine is working great for me. When ones coming on, I take a 50mg pill, and it starts working within minutes. I feel and hear crackling noises in my head, as well as my nasal cavity and eye socket, and miraculously it starts to lift away. In some cases though I had to take a second pill because the first didn't work completely, but within 30 to 45 minutes I'm relaxed and pain free. Since they've taken Cafergot off the market I've been without any medicine at all, trying steroids my neurologist experimented with, which didn't work at all. Sumatriptan is working."

Sman1166 July 29, 2013

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "I suffered for several years before I found a specialist who diagnosed me properly and prescribed this great medicine. "

TreeSaver3 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 23, 2013

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "I've just started taking Imitrex, the first time I took it, I thought I was getting lock jaw. I was quite worried. I took it again the next day though because it did take care of my headache. Since the first time I took it, the side effects have been minor. Hopefully it stays this way."

trixiesmama5825 April 28, 2013

"This is the first time I have used Sumatriptan , it was Arrow-Sumatriptan injection. I immediately felt a slight pressure in my chest and a pushing in my temples and the base of my skull and felt tired and weak. There was a tingling sensation in my nose and my throat was ultra sensitive. It is an hour since I injected and my cluster headache has eased but not gone away yet. My eye has stopped streaming and nose not running so fast and I look slightly more human. I had hoped for better than this but it is an improvement."

Angela Judith February 8, 2013

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Imitrex injection is sometimes the only thing that will stop the headache. Even when on Verapamil I can get head bangers that blow through, when this happens Imitrex can be the added push."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2012

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "I suffered with cluster headaches for about 15 years before finally receiving an Imitrex injection in the hospital ER. My headache was gone within 5-10 minutes, I thought it was a miracle. I do not leave home without it!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 23, 2012

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan): "It worked to abort a cluster headache. Just as effective, but not any more so, than the needle version of Imitrex/sumatriptan. The injection stung quite a bit and left a fairly nasty welt similar to a wasp sting, and it bled a little bit, but it worked as advertised."

Dan6248 June 12, 2012

Imitrex Nasal (sumatriptan): "If I take Imitrex Nasal spray 20mg in first 2-3 min when symptoms of Cluster Headaches start it's great chance that my headaches will last max 20 min, but sometimes doesn't work at all."

VandaMtl (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 5, 2012

"This is magic. I use the injection and in less than five minutes you find the pain disappearing. It is so relieving."

Anonymous April 26, 2012

"I've had clusters for as long as I can remember ... but they've gotten worse as I've gotten older. First doc prescribed Frova which didn't help at all, but the most recent doctor I've seen prescribed sumatriptan. I can't believe how quickly this worked. My headaches usually lasted 3 hours even after taking 3-4 Aleve. Sumatriptan has knocked them out in 15 minutes. I feel a bit jittery after, and have extreme taste sensitivity for a few hours, but it's well worth it. This medicine is a miracle."

mikey s April 15, 2012

"They are really good - I need one about 3 times a year. Nothing else works. After having a headache for 3 consecutive days - I reach for the super tablet. Highly recommended!"

Suederby January 25, 2012

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Gets rid of my headaches easily but sometimes takes an hour before it works. Taking it on an empty stomach seems to speed up things. The only down side is they are quite expensive even with insurance."

BiggTexx June 17, 2011

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Best one for me in the 20 some yrs I've had to deal with them. I've taken 100mg pills all along. "

MKE chris May 14, 2011

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan): "I just use the Sumavel, it stings in application area for 2-5 minutes, but my headache was gone in about 5 minutes. I felt little dizzy after wards. Highly recommended and well worth it."

Gr8 January 16, 2011