User Reviews for Risperdal

Learn more about Risperdal.

Risperdal review summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Autism.

Reviews for Risperdal to treat Autism

Review by Joejoe78:

My son was on risperidone at 4 years old for aggression associated with Autism. This medication has changed his life. No more aggression and very happy. He is now 8 and doing great. We did attempt to take him off to see if he still needed the medication at age 7 and all his past behaviors, hitting, kicking, swearing, crying came back immediately. With my son we could not miss a dose and has to be given at the same time each day. He is now on 3x per day 0.5 given at school by nurse for afternoons. He has had no major side effects. He is very tall and very skinny. When he first got on the medication he became overweight, we changed his diet to more fruit and protein and the weight came off quickly. Highly recommend this medication.

August 23, 2014 4:48 AM

Review by cinradd:

Caused hyperactivity and cause me to gain weight and develop breasts.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2014 3:18 PM

Review by Dad2:

My 4 year old takes 0.5mg dissolvable tablets twice a day. It has helped a little with sleep, but more with aggression. The pharmacy changed it to a off name brand, he's aggression got 3 times worse. He's doctor switched it to name brand and he was back to normal. I was told that this is common with some off brands. We can't believe there's that big a difference.

September 26, 2013 3:29 PM

Review by BrittC (taken for less than 1 month):

My son is almost 4 he is autistic and his violent rage got completely out of control his pediatrician perscribed Risperidone for him about a week ago and so far the results have been mind blowing. He is on 1mL once daily he has had minimal side effects (tremors, fatigue) however the aggression, outbursts, meltdowns and violence has ceased completely. He is also non-verbal and I do not know if this medicine is a contributing factor but in the last week alone my son has started repeating words and even sang his ABC's out of no where. This has been a God send for us!

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2013 11:31 AM

My son was put on Risperidone when he was three and half years old. It has helped him some, but he was is still extremely aggressive and would take off running out into road and parking lots. So, his psychiatrist said he had to put in psych. ward to try new medicine. They upped his risperidone to 0.50mg twice a day and added Depakene 205mg. twice a day. He's still very aggressive and out of control and moody. He's only 5 and in 12 more inches he's going to be as tall as me.

September 27, 2012 11:47 AM

Review by Smurphette:

My daughter has been on this for several years (started at 0.25mg, worked up to 0.5mg 2x a day) to help with mood/emotion, and to help her move past things when she gets emotionally "stuck" and there were times when I thought it wasn't really doing much. Then I couldn't get it refilled for a couple days, so she didn't have any before school. They noticed something was different. They called me to ask if there had been a medicine change. Sometimes, you think it isn't working, but at home, things are different than at school. No weight issues: 5', 98lbs.

September 20, 2011 10:16 PM

My son became aggressive when he hit puberty (age 11), so the psychiatrist put him on this. For the first 2 months I was happy with the results. But his aggression started increasing, and he became extremely aggressive over the next year. His psychiatrist attributed it to rising male hormones and kept increasing the dosage, until my son was on 8 mg/day. I finally had to have my son hospitalized, as he was a danger to me and others. I was fed up, so I changed psychiatrists. She prescribed Abilify, but it took weeks to wean my son off the Risperdal. However, once he was off it, he became the lovely boy he used to be. Every child is different, so keep that in mind!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2011 2:37 AM

Review by 1tiredmom:

This medication was given to my son by a ARNP who swears by it. My son cries for no reason, does not help him sleep but makes him eat like a bear, and he is argumentative about everything whenever he takes this. He needs help sleeping but there has got to be something else more effective for him with less side effects.

April 4, 2011 8:31 AM

My son was put on 0.25mg when he was just 4 years old. It has helped him but he is weighing 72lbs (now 7 years old) and his sugar is up. Now we are on the hunt for a replacement. At least it helped us for 3 years. My son has PDD.

June 21, 2010 8:23 PM

Helped with the behaviors, but the side effects were swollen throat, heavy feeling in limbs, facial tics, hearing voices. Be careful and monitor your child closely if your child is on this medication.

March 5, 2010 8:46 AM

Review by Adaddy:

My son took this drug for a few years and I was told he would have "mild" weight gain. 40 pounds later we had to take him off of it because the weight gain was compromising his overall health. I can't really say I noticed a big difference while on it anyway.

January 6, 2010 1:18 PM

My high functioning autistic son was placed on this medication to help control his anger and aggression. Instead it has made him worse. The only positive effect of this medication is that it helps him sleep past 5am. His anger and aggression and impulsiveness are just out of control. He was then put on Vyvanse to help with ADHD and there are no changes worth noting.

November 11, 2009 11:15 PM

I found out a yr ago, that my high functioning autism son had Asperger. He was put on Ripserdal. After about 10 months I found out the doctor should have been doing blood work to test his porlactin level. His levels should have been between 2.8 and 5.8. His was 55.9. His doctor told me this was okay and not to worry till it got up to 1000 or higher. We tried other medications but nothing seem to help like the Risperdal. So he is back on the Risperdal. It does not have the same effect in girls that it does boys.

October 23, 2009 12:01 AM

My son has high functioning autism and the doctor prescribed this medication for outburst and agitation. It did the exact opposite. He became more aggressive and physically abusive to the point he could no longer go to school and learn anything else. It took time to gradually take him off the medication and once we did he was so much better. An ADHD medication worked much better.

July 19, 2009 6:26 PM

My son was recently perscribed this medicine. It has had a positive effect on his behavioural problems. It seems to have given him clarity.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2008 5:59 AM

Review by Schmitty:

This drug changed my life. It turned down my emotions just enough (I'm on .5mg) that I could actually function in normal society. Thanks to it, I am now in college (when I was diagnosed at 16 I was failing half my courses) and doing phenomenally well. I can't say this will work for everyone, but I must say it's exactly what I needed. Thank you Janssen Pharmaceutical, you have given me a future.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2008 1:25 AM