User Reviews for Risperdal

Learn more about Risperdal.

Mania 4 reviews 14 medications

Autism 16 reviews 7 medications

5.4
Summary of Risperdal reviews 86 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Risperdal

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I was prescribed risperdal about 6 months ago cause I suffer from schizophrenia and anxiety but am afraid of side affects also the doctor gave me celexa. Plus I suffer with seizures drinking tegretol and many others meds I decided to give it a try for my family sake I had my first pill wishing things will work out just wanted to know Am I on the right track or is there something I should know before I expirience the unknown"

Anonymous June 27, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "It is good for mood stability"

A.samer June 20, 2015

For Schizophrenia "I was prescribed risperdal for schizophrenia ages 12-16 around 10 years ago now and it's a huge reason as to how I was able to stay in public school. Other people still noticed I was "different" but it did wonders for both visual and auditory hallucinations, racing thoughts, and paranoia. It never could fully help my delusions though. I gained a bit of weight, but what ultimately led me to no longer take the medication was the zombifying effect it had and how I felt it changed my personality. Might be okay for others though."

BrittanyJ June 16, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This has to be the best medication (at least for me) for bipolar disorder, paranoia and anxiety. I have had bipolar episodes since my teens, now in my 30s and every time I have a bipolar episode, this medication almost works instantly, and what I mean by works instantly is snaps me out of my mania and unwanted thoughts quickly. It does take a few weeks to work fully but if you are someone who suffers from bad mania, this is the right medication for you. Luckily, I did not experience bad side effects from this medication. I have had some muscle stiffness in my neck, some twitching and muscle spasms and slight weight gain. Also, my menstrual cycle was thrown off. Also, it helped my somatic symptoms and I was able to live my life again A+++med"

somaticbipolaranxiety March 20, 2015

For Mania "Helped me through paranoia and delusions during psychosis but gave me pretty bad akathisia (inability to stay put )"

Bethas (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking it for 2 weeks and I love it. Best thing I've taken. I feel more level and energetic than I have in years."

kayaksummer (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Made me "flat" and apathetic to everything. Also caused hyperprolactinemia leading to leaking breasts. Also caused me to gain 35 pounds over several months. Only marginally effective at treating the racing thoughts, etc."

Scorpionis (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2014

For Asperger Syndrome "I was put on this medication as I have suffered from Aspergers Syndrome since I was diagnosed at four years old. This is powerful. At 5mg I felt like a Zombie. I was constantly sleeping because it the effects were strong. It gave me symptoms of Paranoia, for example, I was convinced all the time that I was going to throw up every time I ate. It put me off eating heavy food and as a result I lost weight. Probably one of the worst Anti-Psychotics I have ever taken. Too strong for a 15 year old (at the time) and when I came off it, It gave me Psychotic symptoms. I heard a constant moaning voice for days and it scared the crap out of me. Glad I'm of this medication!"

Whatbloodyname September 26, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Only been taking it for a week, but have noticed my mood stabilize. Experiencing, some of the side effects listed like muscle spasms, back pain, blurred vision, and difficulty moving my eyes at times."

Avantisis (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2014

For Autism "My son was on risperidone at 4 years old for aggression associated with Autism. This medication has changed his life. No more aggression and very happy. He is now 8 and doing great. We did attempt to take him off to see if he still needed the medication at age 7 and all his past behaviors, hitting, kicking, swearing, crying came back immediately. With my son we could not miss a dose and has to be given at the same time each day. He is now on 3x per day 0.5 given at school by nurse for afternoons. He has had no major side effects. He is very tall and very skinny. When he first got on the medication he became overweight, we changed his diet to more fruit and protein and the weight came off quickly. Highly recommend this medication."

Joejoe78 August 23, 2014

For Autism "Caused hyperactivity and cause me to gain weight and develop breasts."

cinradd July 25, 2014

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I think that it helps with the schizoaffective disorder they put me on it 2 yrs ago & now I don't hear the louds as much as I did before."

mmmm... May 6, 2014

For Schizoaffective Disorder "This medication worked wonders for me and I felt quite good on this medication. The problem lies with the side effects. Unbeknownst to me for many months was that it increased my prolactin levels which caused my breasts to grow and menstrual cycle to be off. High prolactin is harmful in the long run and my breasts never returned to their previous size (although maybe some of you ladies would be happy about it. I also gained a few pounds on Risperdal but nothing ridiculous."

ThisIsPatrick April 19, 2014

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I was on risperidone for over a year. I suffer from severe manic depressive bipolar disorder with schizoaffective episodes. The medication along with an antidepressant helped with the delusions (visual and auditory). But the weight gain was immense in one year I gained over 60 pounds. I weigh over 300 pounds now and the depression is worse. I have osteoarthritis in both knees that with the weight have been severely debilitating. Preparing meals, doing daily activities are almost impossible. Standing for more than ten minutes is excruciating. I suggest to use caution with the increase in weight this medicine can cause."

katydid47 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2014

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I first went on this medication in March of 2013 and almost a year later, I've had to adjust it 3 times, going up to 4 finally. When I first started, I was sent into a manic like state for several hours, but after about a week, I started to sleep more than I ever did. I usually only got about 3 hours of sleep each and every night, starting from when I was 12 and up until I started Risperidone, which is when I was 18. It has helped with every single thing that was wrong with me, the delusions, hallucinations, dissociation, and homicidal feelings. I would definitely suggest trying this if you haven't yet. It worked wonders with me."

Anonymous February 19, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I must have tried at least a dozen different bipolar meds. This is by far the best. Has the least side effects and I am much more clear-headed than others. Love it."

Dkurtz (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2014

For Mania "My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's several years ago. As the disease progressed so did her paranoia anxiety and sundowners syndrome. She was put on Celexa which only made her sleep all day and have horrific nightmares. The doctor put her on Rispersal and her behaviors changed overnight. She became manageable, and helpful and no more sundowners. Her sleep pattern improved and the night terrors ceased. She has past recently from heart failure but our last year together was much improved"

beantree November 4, 2013

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I'm talking this after a few antipsychotics didn't work and I was hospitalized a few times for the first time in my life. My bipolar diagnosis changed to Schizoaffective disorder then Schizophrenia. The delusions paranoia was very scary. I was on 2 mg for awhile with Ativan and celexa, and I gained weight over the course of all the medicines, but it needed it, weight gain stopped when I stopped celexa. No paranoia. Now im taking 1 1/2 mg and have less anxiety, on a day I went back to 2 mg I had more. I still have anxiety and will ask my dr to increase my Ativan from 2 back to 3 mg, or lower my risperdal down to 1 mg a I am also on lithium and have hand tremors from that and risperdal, but feel stable it's so worth it. I'm staying on it"

Anonymous 42 yr old F November 2, 2013

For Autism "My 4 year old takes 0.5mg dissolvable tablets twice a day. It has helped a little with sleep, but more with aggression. The pharmacy changed it to a off name brand, he's aggression got 3 times worse. He's doctor switched it to name brand and he was back to normal. I was told that this is common with some off brands. We can't believe there's that big a difference."

Dad2 September 26, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication saved my life. Tried several different medicines over 10 years and none have worked better than Risperdal. I take escitalopram as well and have seen fantastic results. If I miss a dose I can tell very quickly within a few days as I don't sleep and feel really agitated and angry at the least little thing. Really helped control my mood swings and this combination has been great for me."

steve 8284matt (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 27, 2013

For Schizoaffective Disorder "This has been a miracle for me, it keeps my mind calm and in balance. I had delusions coupled with moderate to severe mood disturbances and this puts me back on the normal spectrum."

gmura11 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 23, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder about 8 months ago and placed on Risperdal after ending up in the hospital due to a nervous breakdown, 6 weeks after my diagnosis. I was prescribed 0.5 mg in the morning and 1.0 mg in the evenings, but I felt like a zombie. It did curb the severe mood swings, and I also gained about 10 pounds in the first month. I didn't like feeling disconnected from the world and not being able to focus or concentrate, so I independently reduced my evening dose to 0.75 mg. I immediately felt better. I'm still struggling with a low sex drive, depression and have a few moments of hypomania (restlessness, agitation, "geeked up"), so now my doctor wants me to go on Depakote 500 mg twice a day instead."

DAMcMillan June 27, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "It works great at regulating my moods while not making me feel like a zombie."

manic_rage (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2013

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Risperdal is my miracle. I put on about 30 pounds in the course of 18 months but that is nothing as to the improvement it has made on my mental well being. Gone are the sleepless nights staring at the ceiling, delusions of grandeur, and being overly worried about life's ups and downs. The psychosis has diminished to the point where I no longer need medication to remain stable. If symptoms ever return, I know this is the medication for me. Also no unpleasant side effects from coming off it."

anote2me12 June 14, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I've never had anything that helped my extreme anger and irritability. This has. I've had very minimal side effects. I finally feel "normal" after being on fifteen different medicines over the duration of ten years."

Skyberg June 10, 2013