User Reviews for Risperdal

Learn more about Risperdal.

Mania 3 reviews 14 medications

5.5
Summary of Risperdal reviews 81 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Risperdal

Review by kayaksummer (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking it for 2 weeks and I love it. Best thing I've taken. I feel more level and energetic than I have in years.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2014 12:31 AM

Review by Scorpionis (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Made me "flat" and apathetic to everything. Also caused hyperprolactinemia leading to leaking breasts. Also caused me to gain 35 pounds over several months. Only marginally effective at treating the racing thoughts, etc.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by Whatbloodyname:

For Asperger Syndrome: I was put on this medication as I have suffered from Aspergers Syndrome since I was diagnosed at four years old. This is powerful. At 5mg I felt like a Zombie. I was constantly sleeping because it the effects were strong. It gave me symptoms of Paranoia, for example, I was convinced all the time that I was going to throw up every time I ate. It put me off eating heavy food and as a result I lost weight. Probably one of the worst Anti-Psychotics I have ever taken. Too strong for a 15 year old (at the time) and when I came off it, It gave me Psychotic symptoms. I heard a constant moaning voice for days and it scared the crap out of me. Glad I'm of this medication!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2014 10:15 AM

Review by Avantisis (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: Only been taking it for a week, but have noticed my mood stabilize. Experiencing, some of the side effects listed like muscle spasms, back pain, blurred vision, and difficulty moving my eyes at times.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2014 3:41 PM

Review by Joejoe78:

For Autism: My son was on risperidone at 4 years old for aggression associated with Autism. This medication has changed his life. No more aggression and very happy. He is now 8 and doing great. We did attempt to take him off to see if he still needed the medication at age 7 and all his past behaviors, hitting, kicking, swearing, crying came back immediately. With my son we could not miss a dose and has to be given at the same time each day. He is now on 3x per day 0.5 given at school by nurse for afternoons. He has had no major side effects. He is very tall and very skinny. When he first got on the medication he became overweight, we changed his diet to more fruit and protein and the weight came off quickly. Highly recommend this medication.

August 23, 2014 4:48 AM

Review by cinradd:

For Autism: Caused hyperactivity and cause me to gain weight and develop breasts.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2014 3:18 PM

Review by mmmm...:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I think that it helps with the schizoaffective disorder they put me on it 2 yrs ago & now I don't hear the louds as much as I did before.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 8:46 PM

Review by ThisIsPatrick:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: This medication worked wonders for me and I felt quite good on this medication. The problem lies with the side effects. Unbeknownst to me for many months was that it increased my prolactin levels which caused my breasts to grow and menstrual cycle to be off. High prolactin is harmful in the long run and my breasts never returned to their previous size (although maybe some of you ladies would be happy about it. I also gained a few pounds on Risperdal but nothing ridiculous.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2014 12:14 AM

Review by katydid47 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I was on risperidone for over a year. I suffer from severe manic depressive bipolar disorder with schizoaffective episodes. The medication along with an antidepressant helped with the delusions (visual and auditory). But the weight gain was immense in one year I gained over 60 pounds. I weigh over 300 pounds now and the depression is worse. I have osteoarthritis in both knees that with the weight have been severely debilitating. Preparing meals, doing daily activities are almost impossible. Standing for more than ten minutes is excruciating. I suggest to use caution with the increase in weight this medicine can cause.

February 28, 2014 11:24 AM

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I first went on this medication in March of 2013 and almost a year later, I've had to adjust it 3 times, going up to 4 finally. When I first started, I was sent into a manic like state for several hours, but after about a week, I started to sleep more than I ever did. I usually only got about 3 hours of sleep each and every night, starting from when I was 12 and up until I started Risperidone, which is when I was 18. It has helped with every single thing that was wrong with me, the delusions, hallucinations, dissociation, and homicidal feelings. I would definitely suggest trying this if you haven't yet. It worked wonders with me.

February 19, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Dkurtz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I must have tried at least a dozen different bipolar meds. This is by far the best. Has the least side effects and I am much more clear-headed than others. Love it.

January 16, 2014 1:06 AM

Review by beantree:

For Mania: My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's several years ago. As the disease progressed so did her paranoia anxiety and sundowners syndrome. She was put on Celexa which only made her sleep all day and have horrific nightmares. The doctor put her on Rispersal and her behaviors changed overnight. She became manageable, and helpful and no more sundowners. Her sleep pattern improved and the night terrors ceased. She has past recently from heart failure but our last year together was much improved

November 4, 2013 10:14 PM

Review by Anonymous 42 yr old F:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I'm talking this after a few antipsychotics didn't work and I was hospitalized a few times for the first time in my life. My bipolar diagnosis changed to Schizoaffective disorder then Schizophrenia. The delusions paranoia was very scary. I was on 2 mg for awhile with Ativan and celexa, and I gained weight over the course of all the medicines, but it needed it, weight gain stopped when I stopped celexa. No paranoia. Now im taking 1 1/2 mg and have less anxiety, on a day I went back to 2 mg I had more. I still have anxiety and will ask my dr to increase my Ativan from 2 back to 3 mg, or lower my risperdal down to 1 mg a I am also on lithium and have hand tremors from that and risperdal, but feel stable it's so worth it. I'm staying on it

November 2, 2013 10:47 AM

Review by Dad2:

For Autism: My 4 year old takes 0.5mg dissolvable tablets twice a day. It has helped a little with sleep, but more with aggression. The pharmacy changed it to a off name brand, he's aggression got 3 times worse. He's doctor switched it to name brand and he was back to normal. I was told that this is common with some off brands. We can't believe there's that big a difference.

September 26, 2013 3:29 PM

Review by steve 8284matt (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medication saved my life. Tried several different medicines over 10 years and none have worked better than Risperdal. I take escitalopram as well and have seen fantastic results. If I miss a dose I can tell very quickly within a few days as I don't sleep and feel really agitated and angry at the least little thing. Really helped control my mood swings and this combination has been great for me.

August 27, 2013 3:13 PM

Review by gmura11 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: This has been a miracle for me, it keeps my mind calm and in balance. I had delusions coupled with moderate to severe mood disturbances and this puts me back on the normal spectrum.

July 23, 2013 2:03 PM

Review by DAMcMillan:

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder about 8 months ago and placed on Risperdal after ending up in the hospital due to a nervous breakdown, 6 weeks after my diagnosis. I was prescribed 0.5 mg in the morning and 1.0 mg in the evenings, but I felt like a zombie. It did curb the severe mood swings, and I also gained about 10 pounds in the first month. I didn't like feeling disconnected from the world and not being able to focus or concentrate, so I independently reduced my evening dose to 0.75 mg. I immediately felt better. I'm still struggling with a low sex drive, depression and have a few moments of hypomania (restlessness, agitation, "geeked up"), so now my doctor wants me to go on Depakote 500 mg twice a day instead.

June 27, 2013 8:37 PM

Review by manic_rage (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: It works great at regulating my moods while not making me feel like a zombie.

June 27, 2013 2:48 AM

Review by anote2me12:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Risperdal is my miracle. I put on about 30 pounds in the course of 18 months but that is nothing as to the improvement it has made on my mental well being. Gone are the sleepless nights staring at the ceiling, delusions of grandeur, and being overly worried about life's ups and downs. The psychosis has diminished to the point where I no longer need medication to remain stable. If symptoms ever return, I know this is the medication for me. Also no unpleasant side effects from coming off it.

June 14, 2013 4:20 AM

Review by Skyberg:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've never had anything that helped my extreme anger and irritability. This has. I've had very minimal side effects. I finally feel "normal" after being on fifteen different medicines over the duration of ten years.

June 10, 2013 6:35 PM

Review by BrittC (taken for less than 1 month):

For Autism: My son is almost 4 he is autistic and his violent rage got completely out of control his pediatrician perscribed Risperidone for him about a week ago and so far the results have been mind blowing. He is on 1mL once daily he has had minimal side effects (tremors, fatigue) however the aggression, outbursts, meltdowns and violence has ceased completely. He is also non-verbal and I do not know if this medicine is a contributing factor but in the last week alone my son has started repeating words and even sang his ABC's out of no where. This has been a God send for us!

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2013 11:31 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I feel calm all of the time. With the exception of some grave disaster, nothing gets me down. I feel normal for the first time. I haven't gained any weight either. Sometimes I do get the munchies. When this happens, I eat a bunch of grapes, celery or fat free/sugar free pudding made with fat free milk. You don't have to gain weight. I gave it a 9 because I don't like how sedating it is.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2012 1:59 PM

Review by nostergaard (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizophrenia: I have used Risperdal several times over the last few years. Originally, I was taking it for ruminating thoughts (I call it busy head) and difficulty sleeping. It definitely helped slow down my thoughts and allowed me to sleep better. After my son was born, I was having some postpartum depression and went back on Risperdal. It helped with the kindling and agitation, but I did gain about 10-15 pounds on it. When I stopped the medication, the weight fell off. Most recently, I'm using it as an adjunct therapy to Neurontin and Trileptal for agitation and anxiety. I have emetephobia and this has been the only thing that has allowed me to be around my phobia and not have a panic attack and an ER visit. I do not like the weight gain.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2012 12:34 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been dealing with my son who is only 6 years old and is on it a second time around and since the doctor has doubled his doses in the morning and at night that now he hardly hears the voices anymore and he can start to function again but he is not able to do school yet since he has other issues and gotta still get him the help so he can be able to be in society and be able to do school so he can get his education.

December 6, 2012 2:54 PM

For Autism: My son was put on Risperidone when he was three and half years old. It has helped him some, but he was is still extremely aggressive and would take off running out into road and parking lots. So, his psychiatrist said he had to put in psych. ward to try new medicine. They upped his risperidone to 0.50mg twice a day and added Depakene 205mg. twice a day. He's still very aggressive and out of control and moody. He's only 5 and in 12 more inches he's going to be as tall as me.

September 27, 2012 11:47 AM