User Reviews for Risperdal

Learn more about Risperdal.

Mania 4 reviews 14 medications

Autism 17 reviews 7 medications

5.5
Summary of Risperdal reviews 96 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Risperdal

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Beware of side effects! This medication caused Sexual side effects. Unless you are a Man who doesn't mind not being able to have ejaculation in the bedroom, don't mind growing breasts when you are a Man!, and don't mind gaining weight, DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "It's helped my paranoia, delusions, irrational thoughts, and impulses to self-injure and commit suicide more than anything else. Also helps control the hypomania because I'm not on a mood stabilizer. It just also makes me extremely tired and sedated and I'm constantly hungry and have gained a lot of weight on it. I've fluctuated in my dosage from 3 milligrams to as low as 0.5. Currently taking 2 to 2.5 right now."

Invisiblecreeper (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 19, 2015

For Schizophrenia "It's impossible to stay on this med long term unless you want man boobs. My nipples have pain in them and I had sexual side effects. I also had akathisia on this med and needed to pace back and forth. It's not worth the weight gain."

Cactustomato December 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking Risperidone for over four years now. I felt great the first year but had to constantly have my dosage increased. I don't like some of the side effects (anxiety, difficulty concentrating, weight gain, faster heart rate, flu-like symptoms) but have learned to deal with them. Once you start to gain weight it is virtually impossible to lose the weight as I have tried everything. It seems you peak at a certain level."

SoP November 19, 2015

For Schizophrenia "I take 3 mg every night, slowly recovering and no side effects so far."

texasmadeboyz713 October 13, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "It worked almost immediately ! I had my dosage moved to two tablet twice a day and then back down to one tablet twice a day for every twelve hrs. The only thing Is I have a difficult time with regulating my body temperatures. When I get hot I get REALLY hot and it takes awhile to cool down. When I get cold I get REALLY colds and it gets hard to get warm again and so on. I've had the twitching of the arm and hands as well and I have been nauseous. But really it works ! I just still deal with being hot and cold at times."

Bio (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I gained 100 pounds or more . I developed diabetes, and chronic kidney disease. I also could not keep my hands for moving, and at night my feet would twirl. I chose to stop using risperdal and withdrawal was horrible. The medicine did wonders for my mental health, but the side effects was worse than my schizophrenia."

shock1992 September 15, 2015

For Autism "I have recently started my 25 yo son with autism Risperdal. He has taken it when he was 13, but due to the combination of anti depressants and no improvement in his violent behaviour we stopped, but he did improve verbally. After he refused to take anti depressants after 9 months of treatment with improvement made, he deteriorated over the next 7 months, We insisted he try Risperdal, immediate improvement, 3 weeks in and he is more verbal and calmer with no more aggression. He is sweet and happier again."

LRS179 (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

For Schizophrenia "Did nothing for me. Just gained alot of weight!"

matiwaaritu (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2015

For Schizophrenia "I am currently on 6mg of Risperdal and thinking about going up to 8mg. It has helped me control my impulses and stay on the right path. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia without paranoid thoughts. The paranoid thoughts only happen with street drugs. I still hear voices, but I seem to be managing them a lot better now. Both Halodol and Risperdal work extremely well for schizophrenia."

Kody Lee (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I was prescribed risperdal about 6 months ago cause I suffer from schizophrenia and anxiety but am afraid of side affects also the doctor gave me celexa. Plus I suffer with seizures drinking tegretol and many others meds I decided to give it a try for my family sake I had my first pill wishing things will work out just wanted to know Am I on the right track or is there something I should know before I expirience the unknown"

Anonymous June 27, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "It is good for mood stability"

A.samer June 20, 2015

For Schizophrenia "I was prescribed risperdal for schizophrenia ages 12-16 around 10 years ago now and it's a huge reason as to how I was able to stay in public school. Other people still noticed I was "different" but it did wonders for both visual and auditory hallucinations, racing thoughts, and paranoia. It never could fully help my delusions though. I gained a bit of weight, but what ultimately led me to no longer take the medication was the zombifying effect it had and how I felt it changed my personality. Might be okay for others though."

BrittanyJ June 16, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This has to be the best medication (at least for me) for bipolar disorder, paranoia and anxiety. I have had bipolar episodes since my teens, now in my 30s and every time I have a bipolar episode, this medication almost works instantly, and what I mean by works instantly is snaps me out of my mania and unwanted thoughts quickly. It does take a few weeks to work fully but if you are someone who suffers from bad mania, this is the right medication for you. Luckily, I did not experience bad side effects from this medication. I have had some muscle stiffness in my neck, some twitching and muscle spasms and slight weight gain. Also, my menstrual cycle was thrown off. Also, it helped my somatic symptoms and I was able to live my life again A+++med"

somaticbipolaranxiety March 20, 2015

For Mania "Helped me through paranoia and delusions during psychosis but gave me pretty bad akathisia (inability to stay put )"

Bethas (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking it for 2 weeks and I love it. Best thing I've taken. I feel more level and energetic than I have in years."

kayaksummer (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Made me "flat" and apathetic to everything. Also caused hyperprolactinemia leading to leaking breasts. Also caused me to gain 35 pounds over several months. Only marginally effective at treating the racing thoughts, etc."

Scorpionis (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2014

For Asperger Syndrome "I was put on this medication as I have suffered from Aspergers Syndrome since I was diagnosed at four years old. This is powerful. At 5mg I felt like a Zombie. I was constantly sleeping because it the effects were strong. It gave me symptoms of Paranoia, for example, I was convinced all the time that I was going to throw up every time I ate. It put me off eating heavy food and as a result I lost weight. Probably one of the worst Anti-Psychotics I have ever taken. Too strong for a 15 year old (at the time) and when I came off it, It gave me Psychotic symptoms. I heard a constant moaning voice for days and it scared the crap out of me. Glad I'm of this medication!"

Whatbloodyname September 26, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Only been taking it for a week, but have noticed my mood stabilize. Experiencing, some of the side effects listed like muscle spasms, back pain, blurred vision, and difficulty moving my eyes at times."

Avantisis (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2014

For Autism "My son was on risperidone at 4 years old for aggression associated with Autism. This medication has changed his life. No more aggression and very happy. He is now 8 and doing great. We did attempt to take him off to see if he still needed the medication at age 7 and all his past behaviors, hitting, kicking, swearing, crying came back immediately. With my son we could not miss a dose and has to be given at the same time each day. He is now on 3x per day 0.5 given at school by nurse for afternoons. He has had no major side effects. He is very tall and very skinny. When he first got on the medication he became overweight, we changed his diet to more fruit and protein and the weight came off quickly. Highly recommend this medication."

Joejoe78 August 23, 2014

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Autism "Caused hyperactivity and cause me to gain weight and develop breasts."

cinradd July 25, 2014

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I think that it helps with the schizoaffective disorder they put me on it 2 yrs ago & now I don't hear the louds as much as I did before."

mmmm... May 6, 2014

For Schizoaffective Disorder "This medication worked wonders for me and I felt quite good on this medication. The problem lies with the side effects. Unbeknownst to me for many months was that it increased my prolactin levels which caused my breasts to grow and menstrual cycle to be off. High prolactin is harmful in the long run and my breasts never returned to their previous size (although maybe some of you ladies would be happy about it. I also gained a few pounds on Risperdal but nothing ridiculous."

ThisIsPatrick April 19, 2014

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I was on risperidone for over a year. I suffer from severe manic depressive bipolar disorder with schizoaffective episodes. The medication along with an antidepressant helped with the delusions (visual and auditory). But the weight gain was immense in one year I gained over 60 pounds. I weigh over 300 pounds now and the depression is worse. I have osteoarthritis in both knees that with the weight have been severely debilitating. Preparing meals, doing daily activities are almost impossible. Standing for more than ten minutes is excruciating. I suggest to use caution with the increase in weight this medicine can cause."

katydid47 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2014

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I first went on this medication in March of 2013 and almost a year later, I've had to adjust it 3 times, going up to 4 finally. When I first started, I was sent into a manic like state for several hours, but after about a week, I started to sleep more than I ever did. I usually only got about 3 hours of sleep each and every night, starting from when I was 12 and up until I started Risperidone, which is when I was 18. It has helped with every single thing that was wrong with me, the delusions, hallucinations, dissociation, and homicidal feelings. I would definitely suggest trying this if you haven't yet. It worked wonders with me."

Anonymous February 19, 2014