User Reviews for Nardil

8.5
Summary of Nardil reviews 19 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Nardil

Review by LLG (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: Diagnosed bipolar late 30's, lithium threw me into a clinical depression. Was not hospitalized as I tried tricyclic after tricyclic, with the awful side effects, weight gain and almost a zombie, sleeping all the time. Researching I discovered MAOI Inhibitors, was put on Nardil. Had only 15 min. medication checks every two weeks. At the first I asked, still depressed, "Will I ever be motivated again?", so weary was I of this horrid depression. At the second medication check, two weeks later, my depression had lifted! It kept me out of depression, functioning, and as close to 'normal', "whatever that is", for decades. It saved my life.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2014 11:54 AM

Review by Bella taco:

For Depression: Saved my life! Had major postpartum tried for 3 months on different antidepressants nothing worked until Nardil ! Thank you Nardil ...

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2014 9:34 PM

Review by andrew811 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I am still on Nardil and waiting to wean off. My experience has not been great. It hasn't helped me with depression as it only has causes terrible adverse effects that has affected my life. I am depressed, angry, irritated, anxiety-ridden, just to name a few symptoms. My doctor is going to start getting me off it soon as he will try Nortripyline. It's true that Nardil works for a lot of people but not me. Just a terrible experience.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2013 10:39 PM

Review by beejholy:

For Depression: I was diagnosed with bipolar/severe mania and depression since I was 26, I have see every psychiatrist in my area, and have been put on every antidepressant from Paxil to Effexor. The only one that ever worked is Nardil. I am 33 years old now and would recommend this monoamine oxidase inhibitor to everyone who needs to be on an antidepressant. I was fortunate to find a very intelligent doctor who worked with me through these years. He told me not too many doctors prescribe Nardil for the food restrictions or whatever, but I personally believe the "old school" MAOI's are the way to go. Nardil gets a 10 in my book. I felt the ahhh, effects after one week.

July 7, 2013 10:10 AM

Review by 6shooter (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: Have been depressed and anxious my whole life (now 44) and was undiagnosed. Was on Paroxetine for 10 years: life continued to turn to crap, wife left me, etc. Psychiatrist listened to symptoms and put me on 3 x 15mg Nardil. Still have suicidal thoughts and trouble with sexual function but it is definitely the medicine for me. Will stay on it for life if possible: at least I am still alive and food restrictions aren't that bad.

January 6, 2013 12:47 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I took Nardil from '88-'98 and it worked well. Then I was switched to Paxil, which had a lot of side effects (weight, sexual, tired, sense of not really being there). Paxil was probably better for OCD but I came off it (had shocking withdrawal symptoms).

August 11, 2012 4:43 AM

Review by Lorrainecarole:

For Depression: I took Nardil for 21 years. It worked better than anything else, until the dose was increased from 10 to 40 mg per day. None of my physicians were able to diagnose the cause of the grotesque swelling of my legs. A friend suggested it might be the Nardil; I quit taking it and proved her right. Even in reduced doses, the swelling persisted. I now take something else.

April 17, 2012 12:12 PM

Review by linje:

For Depression: I was on Nardil for over 20yrs until I was unable to get them on prescription anymore. I was then put on other antidepressants but none worked as well. I can now get the tablets again and have been on them for just 11 days. I am finding the side effects (nausea, loss of appetite) hard to deal with but trying to persevere with them as I know they are amazing when into system, and before while I was on it I was able to lead an almost normal life.

March 24, 2012 4:43 PM

Review by melancholy:

For Depression: I suffered with extremely severe social anxiety for 16 years (early teens - 30). I had experienced episodes of fear that were so bad that I would feel a strong urge (if not need) to "escape" from the situation (turning my head the other way, or making a hurried exit, cutting the conversation off, having to turn around and walk out of an office doorway that I had just started to walk into). Nardil turned my life around, I was like a new person: talkative, extroverted, able to feel at-ease and laugh, make jokes, fully calm and relaxed, AND happy! I was finally the person I was always meant to be. I can say it truly saved my life. Side-effects DO lessen and even disappear, so be patient. I take 75mg/day, have not needed to increase in 6 years!

January 22, 2012 7:09 AM

Review by Dr Disc:

For Depression: Nardil saved my life. I have used 60mgs a day for 30 years. I have no plans to withdraw. Several attempts to reduce the medicine and eliminate it. Met with very difficult psychological and physiological disturbances. I am now 73 and am committed to Nardil for the rest of my life if they keep making it.

October 15, 2011 11:18 PM

Review by Shilana:

For Depression: I have been on phenelzine since it first came out in the early 60's and although I have tried many other things, phenelzine has always worked for me. I also have high blood pressure so phenelzine was thought not to be a good choice, however it stabilized my blood pressure that I have now been able to stop taking medication to control it. It is an old fashioned medicine, there are dietary restrictions but you get used to them. Just as diabetics get used to their dietary restrictions and it is a very small price to pay for peace of mind. I trained SRN/RMN, have a degree on IT and live a very full and active life as I approach my 70th birthday.

September 1, 2011 1:53 AM

For Depression: I have been on Nardil for 30 years because of depression, panic attacks and severe anxiety. I did gain weight while taking Nardil, but after 6 months after I started Nardil, I began to have good days again. For me, Nardil took a long time to begin working to ease my depression, etc. I also take one, 5 mg of Valium. I am a senior citizen and at times it does concern me about continuing the Nardil, but as long as it keeps working and I see my psychiatrist regularly, I have faith I will be okay. Sure, I have a few "down" days here and there, but never like it was before I was put on Nardil long ago. (I had taken other "older" antidepressants...none of them worked until the Nardil was prescribed). A side effect I have is intense sweating.

August 29, 2011 12:13 AM

Review by linje:

Nardil was definitely my wonder medicine. From being scared to go out my door, or have visitors I eventually worked in a large secondary school moved house achieved many things I never dreamt I would do BUT then I was informed it was being discontinued. I was then put on isocarboxazid and problems getting those so then put on Menerix and my condition returned. I have just tried CYMBALTA but having bad side effects so told to come off. Wish I knew what medicine was as good as Nardil.

August 13, 2011 9:58 AM

Review by be wary:

My brother had a terrible reaction to Nardil. His behavior and personality changed immensely when he started taking it for depression and then he hit bottom when he tried to get off it. Maybe it is a wonder drug for some, but if you start having hallucinations or your reality changes, please get help.

October 14, 2010 11:31 PM

Review by phmgmsn.com:

For Depression: I also was born depressed. Until a Wise Psyc put me on Nardil and Pamelor! My life went from Black to White. My world was wonderful finally! In 1993 Nardil has some issues, so did I. They fixed their problems. Unfortunately in 2000 the company SOLD Nardil to a company in Sweden. Nardil is no longer the medicine that changed my life. The NEW company reformulated it and I am now back in that ugly Darkness. I'm afraid to try the other MAOI's as I did so well before.

September 21, 2010 6:04 AM

Review by my1poodle:

For Migraine Prevention: I've been on Nardil for migraine prevention, probably 5 years now. My neurologist prescribed it after nothing else would work, including Depakote and Topamax. My original dosage was 15 mg 3 x day. I tried going off of it last year, 1 pill/week, as directed by neurologist, but it was a horrible experience with 3 weeks of diarrhea, weakness and depression, so cut it down to 1/2 pill/week. Still bad experience. Had to go back on it. Tried again this summer, cutting it by 1/4 pill/week...much better results. However when down to last pill in morning, migraines hit with a vengeance. Have upped it back up to 1.5 pills/day. Plan to try to decrease again, but even slower. Other than migraines returning aggressively, no bad experience this time.

July 16, 2010 1:41 PM

Review by Leona_WI:

For Depression: Too many restrictions and not a lot of other medication can be used with Nardil...lots of interactions. Going off of Nardil caused some side effects as well.

July 13, 2010 2:56 AM

Review by my1poodleoreo:

For Migraine Prevention: My neurologist prescribed Nardil approximately 4-5 years ago as a last effort to control my migraine headaches. This drug has worked better than all others tried at preventing migraines, but not without some annoying side effects such as weight gain, edema in lower legs and arms, some mild memory problems and probably most annoying is the caution exercised regarding medications and foods that are to be avoided while taking Nardil. I've gone off of it once and it was a nightmare, made me very sick and weak. I eventually got off of it totally for several weeks, but the migraines came back with a vengeance, so had to go back on the Nardil. I'm considering going off of it again soon simply because of the weight gain and edema.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2010 5:26 PM

Review by Bamaeagle:

For Depression: My psychiatrist utilized every combination you can think of and finally Nardil. While I am very careful about foods and wear a medic alert bracelet and carry an alert in my purse that NO Demerol can be given as it can cause death, I finally feel better from a deep depressive state since October 2008. My memory state however has not improved but my physical state has and I can at least get out of bed and be somewhat sociable with friends and family. I have had a very positive experience with it so far.

August 28, 2009 2:00 PM

Review by kwsilva:

For Depression: I think I was depressed when I was born. Had tried many antidepressants, but none worked even half as well as Nardil. I was on Nardil for 20 years until I was forced to come off of it by a psychiatrist, and cold turkey at that. That's been almost 2 years ago and I've not been the same since.

April 5, 2009 7:40 PM

For Depression: I began taking Nardil and Ativan after my psychiatrist had tried many other antidepressants. I only became more anxious and panic-prone. Gradually my "conditioned response panic attacks" began to decrease in frequency. I began to have confidence that the medication and my own awareness of my body's response to certain situations could be controlled. I have gained weight, but I have lived a near-normal life.

December 30, 2008 11:15 PM

For Depression: I suffered from prolonged depression for most of my adult life with no relief until Nardil was introduced to me. I have been taking a daily dosage of Nardil for over 10 years and it has helped me enormously.

October 14, 2008 8:13 PM

Review by edel55:

For Depression: Nardil only worked for me for about 6 months. At first my depression decreased substantially but gradually returned.

March 21, 2008 2:31 AM