User Reviews for Paxil

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Panic Disorder

Review by Retired in Florida (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've had severe panic attacks while primarily driving on interstate highways and through mountains for 30 plus years. I rarely have attacks driving on most other types of roads and conditions. I've been on Paxil for 5 years now and it is truly a life saver for me. I choose however, and contrary to most advice, not to be on it all the time as it does numb the senses. Twice yearly I drive from Florida to Indiana and choose to take 20 mg/day for one month prior to my trip and 40 mg/day a couple of days prior to my trip. For the most part I can drive successfully with no attacks. Occasionally I will still have what I call a "break through"- sort of a rush sensation but not as severe as a panic attack. I have no problems coming off it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2014 4:58 AM

Review by JToni (taken for 10 years or more):

I've been on Paxil since I was 19. I am now 34. This medication has saved my life. I have read a ton of negative comments about Paxil and I truly believe it is not for everyone. It either works great or not. For me life before Paxil was horribly scary. I had massive panic disorder and was sheltered in my home all the time. I used to struggle with a few of the side effects of Paxil such as decreased sex drive and the feeling of nausea. However I have learned over the last 15 years of being on it, how to change the side effects through other positive reinforcements such as meditation and positive thinking. I no longer have the side effects. Perhaps 15 year has helped with that too. I stayed on Paxil when I had all three of my children.

May 30, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by JDV16:

I had panic attacks since I was about 7 years old when I was hospitalized with rheumatic fever. I was left in the hospital to long in a extremely high fever in one of hospitals in Europe... Because of that the bacteria spread to my heart with resulted with heart muscle infection and effected aortic valve. I almost died. Was hospitalized for three months. This happened on Monday. I was scared Mondays. Every Monday was getting panic attack which started with very fast heart beating. It actually felt like I was getting heart attack. Blurry vision. Very hard to live with such symptoms. I am taking Paxil 20 mg for 16 years now. I can live normal life! Get help. Don't suffer, go to your doctor.

February 20, 2014 11:42 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking Paxil for 3 years now. It has helped me very much. I'm 21 years old and have had no side effects from it. I'm glad to feel normal again. Without Paxil I would be an emotional wreck.

November 15, 2013 8:37 AM

Review by Healthcare Worker (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I took 40 mg of Paxil for about 2 years over 11 years ago for panic, anxiety and moderate depression. It worked very well for me. I did take Xanax while the Paxil was building up in my body. After about 4 weeks I didn't need the Xanax any more. About 6 weeks ago my anxiety and panic began to increase to a point I knew I needed help in addition to my exercise, healthy eating etc. I went to my doctor to get Paxil. I started on 10 mg for a week and had increased anxiety, which I controlled with 0.25 mg of Xanax once a day. I went up to 20 mg on day 8 and had severe anxiety and bad thought for about 36 hours. Suddenly, just like that it was all gone. I now feel great! Some side effects, but worth the sanity!

October 15, 2013 8:01 PM

Review by BoDro:

I took it for anxiety, panic disorder & depression. Made me suicidal.

July 28, 2013 4:15 PM

Review by Paxiladdict:

I've been on Paxil for 5 years and it helped my Panic Attacks 100%. The good thing is that I can cope with the tremendous amount of stress I am under at work and home with my special needs son. I was going to a Naturopathic Physician and the natural remedies worked for a while and then stopped. I couldn't sleep much for four months and kept jumping out of my sleep with massive panic attacks. I started out on 10 mg and now cut my pills in half (5 mg) and it keeps me panic free. The negative side effects are sexual performance, weight gain and I feel the medicine is aging me. I now have occasional head shaking that upsets my wife. She wants me to get off this and I tried to a couple of times with renewal of panic attacks.

June 24, 2013 7:09 PM

Review by Cat Guy:

Works good for disassociation and also anxiety and panic attacks, however has a lot of sexual side effects as in your erections are gone, but also you won't be interested in sex. This was reversed for the most part (around 70%) after being off it for a year and being on Celexa instead. Celexa allows for erections, however lowers sex drive as well. Would always rather not be interested in sex than panic and fear stricken so I have to say Paxil worked.

March 20, 2013 5:43 PM

Review by notpaniced (taken for less than 1 month):

Hi, I'm 36 yr old male and never had panic attacks or anxiety. About about 3 weeks ago I had a massive panic attack and then I started having chronic anxiety attacks that would last for most part of the starting from the very moment I wake up. My heart beat was constantly at 90 bpm, I lost weight very, very quickly and and had no energy left. Doctor gave me Xanax but it just made me sleepy. I thought the anxiety would never go away and that I'll lose my job and home and my independence. I went back to my doctor and he gave me Paxil, reluctantly, I started on 10mg for a week. I up'd my dose to 20mg on the 7th day, and until the 14th day no effect (only side effects) but then a miracle. My anxiety is all but gone on the 15th day and no panic.

March 17, 2013 6:19 PM

Review by 1st Grade Teacher (taken for 10 years or more):

I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder in 2001. I immediately started taking Paxil. At 40mg/day I felt GREAT! No more panic attacks and my concentration improved significantly! For those that find that Paxil does NOT work, please have your thyroid checked. Thyroid problems are closely interconnected with anxiety/depression disorders! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Autoimmune Disease of the Thyroid as well as Hypothyroid (underactive thyroid) at the same time I was diagnosed with my Panic Disorder. My Paxil combined with Synthroid (a thyroid hormone) has put me back to normal. It's been 11 years now! Cheers!

December 28, 2012 9:39 PM

My general doctor gave me Paxil when I told her I had been having panic attacks and anxiety. I started on 10mg and when I hadn't noticed a difference after 6 weeks she upped the dose to 20mg. I still have anxiety day to day, and feel the beginning of a panic attack a lot, but am not able to go through with it. Sex drive completely gone. All I want to do is sleep. Depression worsened. This is not for me.

April 10, 2012 4:44 AM

Review by interpreter 101:

I have been on Paxil 6 weeks now. I am feeling so much better it is a miracle. In this experience I realized that I had some issues that I needed to face and some grudges that I needed to let go that had built up over the years. I thought that I would never experience another normal day again because my anxiety attacks and depression were so severe I thought my life was over. I tried to avoid taking medicines and fighting my anxiety off myself but anxiety started to take over my life.

March 5, 2012 11:16 AM

Review by Medicated1111:

I took Paxil for 10 years. Started on 20mg and had intense anxiety, confusion, panic. Doctor insisted it was all in my head. Therapist told me to cut the dose in 1/2. Felt somewhat better. Went up to 20mg after a few months and began to get brain zaps. A close friend told me I had lost my personality. Slept 10-14 hrs a night and frustrated my partner because of sleeping, no sex drive and no ability to feel sexual pleasure. Effects of alcohol intensified- passed out from 2 drinks or became over-emotional. Tapered from 20mg to 0 slowly over the 10 yrs. Each tiny decrease resulted in ~2wk period of increased anxiety. I think overall it numbed the panic but CBT therapy and getting older may have been more or similarly effective.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2012 12:48 PM

I first took Paxil in high school for minor depression but weaned myself off of it in college. About a year later I began having awful, day-long panic attacks which caused me to take two months off from school. So back on the Paxil I went, knowing that I would probably be taking it for life. I have tried several other medicines as well, but they didn't work for me. Paxil is the only thing that makes me feel "normal" and clear-headed. If I don't take it for a couple of days I do start feeling a little light-headed and anxious, so I wouldn't ever quit cold-turkey. I recommend trying a few different medicines if the first ones aren't a perfect fit, everyone is unique, and Paxil works for me.

January 9, 2012 2:49 PM

About 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder. After a year or so on Desipramine, my shrink switched me to Paxil. I've been taking 20mg/day for years now. It saved my life. About 10 years ago, after moving to a different State, I slowly weaned myself off Paxil at the suggestion of my former primary care physician. In less than one year, I started having panic attacks again. Long story short: I'm on Paxil 20 mg/day for life. It doesn't not make sense to suffer with Panic Disorder.

November 16, 2011 7:07 PM

Review by gypcsol:

I began taking 10mg Paxil when I was 28 (I am now 38) for panic attacks and stayed on it for around 6 years. I felt so good on it that I felt like I didn't need it anymore so I weened myself off of it with no problems! After going through early menopause my Doctor put me on 50 mg of Zoloft, that worked well for my hot flashes and mood swings but when I began having panic attacks again the Zoloft did nothing. My Doctor then increased the Zoloft to 100mg, it did nothing for my panic attacks only made me more nervous! I am now taking 20 mg of Paxil. I am here to say that it has only been one week, but what a difference a week makes! I feel like myself only a little tired. I have no other side effects and it gave me my life back!

October 21, 2011 12:39 PM

Miracle pill.

October 3, 2011 6:25 AM

Review by Ricasell:

I have suffered with panic all my life. Since taking Paxil I don't have them. If you run out the panic comes back. I've heard bad things about Paxil but it saved my life so its worth it.

September 29, 2011 8:53 PM

Paxil has helped me live again.

September 17, 2011 1:38 AM

Review by Bruzer:

Panic attacks are greatly reduced, depression persists.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2011 1:18 PM

Review by Momof2FightingAnxiety:

Panic Disorder/Bipolar/Manic Depressive: Today will be my 7th Dose, I am having a love hate relationship with my Paxil, it made me EXTREMELY tired for the first 4 days, headaches on day 4 & 5, Dizziness day 2-7. I feel spaced out & every morning I wake up & want to stop taking the meds because of how I feel. I am not like "myself" BUT, I didnt like myself to begin with, I suffered from panic attacks that last for days on end with only relief from Xanax. I would have anger outbursts towards the ones I love the most. Now, although my world feels off balance, I have noticed less anger and more smiling. I am going to stick with it for another week, even though I know tomorrow I will want to stop again. Just hope side effects lessen.

August 23, 2011 9:41 AM

All I can said is that before I started taking Paxil I had terrible panic attacks, was about to lose my job. I started to take Paxil 10 mgs a day and I am here to say it works wonders. I have not had a panic attack since. Paxil has been a real lifesaver to me.

June 23, 2011 9:06 PM

I've been experiencing panic attacks for over a year, at first I thought maybe it was a phase that would pass but they have become constant and are really affecting my life. My doctor prescribed 10mg dosage for the first 2 weeks then 20mg from then on and I take them before bed. I been on it for a week and 3days and experiencing headaches and when I wake up to fast I feel like the room is moving and I can't focus my vision. Hopefully the side effects go away and I can experience the benefits. I've been reading lots of different opinions, mostly about the withdrawal symptoms. I'm 18 so I don't want to be hooked on it forever then again if it helps my panic disorder and doesn't cause any major health issues, why not?

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2011 4:18 PM

For the most part I would have to say that Paxil saved my life. I suffered from severe panic attacks, several a day, for years. I've been on every anti-depressant and anti-anxiolytic out there but none helped like Paxil. I have been on it for 12 years now. The side effects that I have dealt with are an 80 pound weight gain over the period I have been on it, I crave food and carbs constantly, I yawn often throughout the day and experience fatigue that can get drop dead tired around the time of my menses. I too have tried to get off of Paxil many times only to suffer severe withdrawal symptoms.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2011 12:49 AM

I had extreme anxiety at first time intercourse with a new partner. Mainly happened with girls I liked the most. Read Paxil delays ejaculation so I asked doctor and gave it a try. 20mgs per day. It works a little too well. Effects do wear off, so I just use it when needed.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate