User Reviews for Paxil

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil Review Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

"I'm 36yr old doctor. I had been on Paroxetine for past 8 yrs.weaned just 6 months back.I developed post subcapsular cataract last year. Operated both eyes with IOL. the morbidity it has produced reflects in my day to day activities. I never heard of cataracts as a side effect by paroxetine until I developed one. only when I searched on net I could see few studies suggesting cataract as a side effect of some SSRIs and Paroxetine is one among those.I had to wean it as I was afraid I might end up in more rare and serious side effects in long term, say for eg renal failure in another few yrs.But its a wonderful drug in controlling OCD. Soon I'm about to restart it or a new SSRI due to relapse. OCD makes me feel living blind is more easier than with OCD"

Sureshkumar96 June 12, 2015

"I get depressed, had low energy and serious sexual side effects, Prozac is better tolerated"

mega90 (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2015

"First of all, I never realized that I had OCD until I told my doctor I couldn't sleep because I couldn't control my thoughts. I thought OCD only manifested itself in physical rituals. Paxil has literally saved my life. It broke a 14 year cycle of racing, uncontrollable thoughts/insomnia/anxiety/depression. I have been taking Paxil for 15 years now."

Sharub (taken for 10 years or more) December 11, 2014

"I have had a good experience with Paxil thus far, and I wanted to put it out there because I think it's usually the bad experiences that prompt folks to write these reviews! I'd tried other SSRIs (Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Celexa), with bad results, so I was hesitant. I started on 10 mg/day for two weeks then went to 20mg. At first I didn't notice much, but by the third week my obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety were greatly quelled. I feel a general sense of well-being and satisfaction with life, yet I'm still productive/creative/ME. No ill side effects whatsoever. I hear the withdrawal is a bear, and I'll cross that bridge when I get there, but, so far so good."

fadedgenes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Helps take the edge off anxiety to where I can control it better. Also helps my social anxiety a lot and little with obsessive compulsive disorder. Overall it helps a lot!"

lovicia August 1, 2013

"I am 23 years old and I have been taking Paxil since I was 11. It has worked extremely well for me over the years and I have had little to no problems with my OCD. When I was 17 I tried to go off the medication (with the help of my doctor) and it was extremely hard. I became really depressed and had horrible headaches and nausea. I decided to go back on the medication because it wasn't the right time in my life to deal with so much stress. FYI, if I skip/ forget a pill I get really bad nausea and I tend to bruise and scar very easily. If you are looking for something to treat your OCD this might be the medicine for you."

Opalgirl July 2, 2011

"I started using Paroxetine after I received what was the most traumatic news of my life, and it caused my anxiety to go into complete overload. I started having bad panic attacks and terrible anxiety. I also started suffering from really bad obsessive thoughts! My doctor put me on Paroxetine and I have been on it for about 4 weeks now, along with Xanax for short term use until the paroxetine really kicks in. Well I must say that I do feel ALOT better, but not as good as I did before all this started. I'm being a little impatient? I'm told that the Paroxetine takes at least 3-4 weeks before it really starts to work and as I said, it's only been 1 month since I started taking it. I just want the way I used to love life to come back!"

anonymous084 August 21, 2010

"Excellent to stop intrusive thoughts and depression. I would not be without it, I have gone through college and am a successful social worker who can now help others. I have been able to go to a lower dose but still keep it in my regimen because I would rather live a full life than a fearful and indecisive one."

Anonymous August 12, 2010

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Paxil for about 10 yrs (no weight gain) and quit it recently with the help of my primary care doctor by weaning off of it for 6 months. Unfortunately, 2 weeks after quitting, my symptoms of anxiety and depression have returned 2-fold! I have not been formally diagnosed with anything yet, but do know that Paxil worked the BEST for me! I want to go back on it, but it is Category D- so IF I ever want to have a baby I cannot be on it while pregnant! At the moment, I am trying Wellbutrin, after trying 3 weeks on Buspar to help me (that didn't help). It's only been a week on Wellbutrin and I see some improvements, but nothing like the Paxil. I may ask to go back to Paxil if switching medicines doesn't work. I felt like "myself" on Paxil!"

k8teeee July 28, 2010

"I have been taking Paxil for 5 years. Since I turned 50 and my blood pressure shot up to 210/102. Paxil was the biggest blessing. NO, I DID not gain any weight. Well I gained two pounds only because I ate my way through them."

Anonymous May 20, 2010

"It worked for me, It worked for me, It worked for me....oops...must have missed this mornings dose (LOL). I have suffered from GAD/OCD for a few years. Most of the time I was worried and anxious and suffered panic attacks and general high-stress feelings before taking Paxil. I take 10mg's of Paxil once per day for about 6 months now. I am starting to see my previous behaviors that only prolonged and worsened my anxiety disorder. I am able to relax, calm down, sit back and actually make myself relax, even during high stress times. I hope to not be on Paxil for very many years, but it did help me, help myself out of OCD/panic hell. Counselling was just as important as Paxil, and re-learning how to make yourself chill. Paxil Helps!"

sapphire99 February 27, 2009

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I used Paxil for a while and it worked but it caused me to gain 50lbs. I also had a difficult time weaning myself off it."

not a fan January 4, 2009