User Reviews for Paxil

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil review summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Review by fadedgenes (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I have had a good experience with Paxil thus far, and I wanted to put it out there because I think it's usually the bad experiences that prompt folks to write these reviews! I'd tried other SSRIs (Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Celexa), with bad results, so I was hesitant. I started on 10 mg/day for two weeks then went to 20mg. At first I didn't notice much, but by the third week my obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety were greatly quelled. I feel a general sense of well-being and satisfaction with life, yet I'm still productive/creative/ME. No ill side effects whatsoever. I hear the withdrawal is a bear, and I'll cross that bridge when I get there, but, so far so good.

December 30, 2013 10:25 AM
Review by lovicia: User Rating:

Helps take the edge off anxiety to where I can control it better. Also helps my social anxiety a lot and little with obsessive compulsive disorder. Overall it helps a lot!

August 1, 2013 11:15 AM
Review by Opalgirl: User Rating:

I am 23 years old and I have been taking Paxil since I was 11. It has worked extremely well for me over the years and I have had little to no problems with my OCD. When I was 17 I tried to go off the medication (with the help of my doctor) and it was extremely hard. I became really depressed and had horrible headaches and nausea. I decided to go back on the medication because it wasn't the right time in my life to deal with so much stress. FYI, if I skip/ forget a pill I get really bad nausea and I tend to bruise and scar very easily. If you are looking for something to treat your OCD this might be the medicine for you.

July 2, 2011 8:10 PM
Review by anonymous084: User Rating:

I started using Paroxetine after I received what was the most traumatic news of my life, and it caused my anxiety to go into complete overload. I started having bad panic attacks and terrible anxiety. I also started suffering from really bad obsessive thoughts! My doctor put me on Paroxetine and I have been on it for about 4 weeks now, along with Xanax for short term use until the paroxetine really kicks in. Well I must say that I do feel ALOT better, but not as good as I did before all this started. I'm being a little impatient? I'm told that the Paroxetine takes at least 3-4 weeks before it really starts to work and as I said, it's only been 1 month since I started taking it. I just want the way I used to love life to come back!

August 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Excellent to stop intrusive thoughts and depression. I would not be without it, I have gone through college and am a successful social worker who can now help others. I have been able to go to a lower dose but still keep it in my regimen because I would rather live a full life than a fearful and indecisive one.

August 12, 2010 12:12 AM
Review by k8teeee: User Rating:

I took Paxil for about 10 yrs (no weight gain) and quit it recently with the help of my primary care doctor by weaning off of it for 6 months. Unfortunately, 2 weeks after quitting, my symptoms of anxiety and depression have returned 2-fold! I have not been formally diagnosed with anything yet, but do know that Paxil worked the BEST for me! I want to go back on it, but it is Category D- so IF I ever want to have a baby I cannot be on it while pregnant! At the moment, I am trying Wellbutrin, after trying 3 weeks on Buspar to help me (that didn't help). It's only been a week on Wellbutrin and I see some improvements, but nothing like the Paxil. I may ask to go back to Paxil if switching medicines doesn't work. I felt like "myself" on Paxil!

July 28, 2010 10:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been taking Paxil for 5 years. Since I turned 50 and my blood pressure shot up to 210/102. Paxil was the biggest blessing. NO, I DID not gain any weight. Well I gained two pounds only because I ate my way through them.

May 20, 2010 7:12 PM
Review by sapphire99: User Rating:

It worked for me, It worked for me, It worked for me....oops...must have missed this mornings dose (LOL). I have suffered from GAD/OCD for a few years. Most of the time I was worried and anxious and suffered panic attacks and general high-stress feelings before taking Paxil. I take 10mg's of Paxil once per day for about 6 months now. I am starting to see my previous behaviors that only prolonged and worsened my anxiety disorder. I am able to relax, calm down, sit back and actually make myself relax, even during high stress times. I hope to not be on Paxil for very many years, but it did help me, help myself out of OCD/panic hell. Counselling was just as important as Paxil, and re-learning how to make yourself chill. Paxil Helps!

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 27, 2009 12:24 AM
Review by not a fan:

I used Paxil for a while and it worked but it caused me to gain 50lbs. I also had a difficult time weaning myself off it.

January 4, 2009 9:15 PM