User Reviews for Paxil

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Depression

Review by Stressed Momma (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I experienced severe postpartum depression after my twins were born, actually it started after I stopped breastfeeding them. My hormones were all over the place. I was sleep deprived and suicidal. Paxil worked great on my depression, but I had negative side effects. First of all, it really flattened my emotional response. Nothing much upset me, but nothing made me excited either. I had zero sex drive and could not achieve orgasm at all. I also gained a lot of weight in a very short amount of time. Also, I had trouble falling asleep. I switched to Wellbutrin, and actually lost weight. I would still have difficulty coping some days, but it was manageable, and no negative side effects.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 11, 2014 10:59 PM
Review by Aerospace747 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Been taking Paxil 40mg since November 2007, works absolutely fine. Treated my major depression without any complications, did not affect my sex life, at first its hard to have an orgasm, but over time, its as fast as you want them. Medication however did cause some minor hair thinning and hair loss in my front head area, treating it with Minoxidil 2.5mg once a day. Otherwise medication works absolutely great for major depression mostly. Doctors have advised that its hard to get off this medication on your own, do not attempt to discontinue the medication on your own once you've been on it for a long period, consult with your doctor.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 21, 2014 2:04 AM
Review by D Tex (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Paxil helped me get my life and emotions back on track after depression linked to a divorce. I had been feeling more down than ever before, and couldn't shake it despite every effort through talk counseling, relaxation, and exercise. For the first 3-4 weeks, initially at 10 mg and then at 20 mg, I felt that Paxil was having no effect on me. But as it kicked in, I felt happier, more myself, and more alive than in years, sustained now for 3 months. It's been a very natural feeling, as if a fog has lifted rather than any medicated fakeness. Only side effect has been gaining 15 pounds (after losing 10 pounds from depression), even while training for and running a half-marathon. No difficulty cutting dosage to 15mg, and will soon cut to 10mg.

February 20, 2014 1:00 AM
Review by wesskid: User Rating:

I've used Paxil when I was in my 20's for depression and anxiety. Paxil worked great for me. Side effects were loss of appetite for 2 weeks and taking long to ejaculate which I loved this side effect. Through the years I have been on and off Paxil with it working for me every time but I notice as I got into my 30's it made me very drowsy when taking it. Of all my time of taking Paxil I have never taken it for more than 3 months. I experience the brain zaps once only when I used it for the 1st time. Never had a problem going off Paxil since that 1st time. I would recommend Paxil for depression and definitely anxiety. However, the last time I took it in my 40's it was causing me stomach problem and made my throat feel scratchy all the time.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 2, 2014 2:00 PM
Review by JohnHalo (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I took Paxil for about 4 years. It was truly a life saver from the horrible depression I suffer from. However, after about 4 years it quit working, and my doc moved me to Bupropion. Paxil was terrible about causing me to randomly fall asleep. I had to pull off the road and nap MANY times. Also, almost no sex life while taking it.

January 28, 2014 4:12 PM
Review by Teenage Depression (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I began taking Paxil in addition to Celexa two years ago when I was 16. It is not bad--no stomach aches, weight gain, or horrible headaches--but I have noticed the total disappearance of my sex drive. Totally gone. This might be because of the Celexa as well. Not sure. I was taking 40mg Celexa, 20mg Paxil, 1 mg Ativan, and occasionally trazodone or doxepine to sleep, for a while and when I cut my dosage in half over the summer, I was a mess. Constant migraines and irritability. So I suggest that if you use Paxil, be careful to come off it slowly.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 21, 2014 11:24 PM
Review by Genesis667: User Rating:

Where to start, after losing two family members in a month I went into a deep off the charts depression according to my doctor--I was close to suicide because I felt so horrible, I lost 50lbs in just a few months, could not sleep or sit still. My mind raced from morning till night and I couldn't control it. I was a perfectly normal person prior to this. My doctor gave me Lexapro, HORRIBLE, I had a psychotic episode with that. I found a new doctor who specialized in Depression, he gave me 60mg of Paxil along with 10mg of Valium if needed. It took about 1 week to start feeling better and 3 months until I was my old self. I am still on 45mg 3 years later but am symptom free--I highly recommend Paxil--DON'T LET IT GET TOO BAD----SEEK HELP!

January 15, 2014 9:30 PM
Review by gatorarea: User Rating:

Started off with a low dosage about 18 months ago now I am on 60 mg a day. Feeling a lot better now..

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 30, 2013 12:23 AM
Review by Marc love: User Rating:

Bipolar, ADHD, OCD, etc. Many of the symptoms overlap and crossover into each other and others as well. Depression is found in each condition, and I find for myself that depression is by far the most debilitating condition of all. I first tried Paxil 12 years ago for depression and anxiety. The Paxil worked great. The side effects included a little nausea (which is basically eliminated by eating something with or soon after taking the med) and some sexual issues (which I believe can be negotiated after you get used to the Paxil). I quit taking it when I switched insurance and because of the perceived stigma I had with taking anything for conditions I didn't want to even acknowledge. Now I'm back on it and will keep it up!

October 29, 2013 4:13 PM
Review by ash ren (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I've been taking paroxetine for a week. I haven't felt like thus in years! I feel like myself again! The first few days I experienced nausea and dizzy spells and dry mouth. But now the only side effect is dry mouth. This is a Miracle drug!

October 24, 2013 8:30 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Nothing worked for my anxiety attacks except Paxil; my quality of life improved significantly with this.

May 31, 2013 4:39 PM
Review by CuriousCass2012 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I had taken Paxil when I was younger and it worked wonders with my depression and social disorder. However, this time around it is different, but still better with than without. My husband has been on it for close to 5 years. He used to be so angry all the time about everything, this helped him. It helped us because I am a person who does not do well with yelling and arguing. He did try to stop a few months back and it was terrible because his aggressiveness and irritability was off the wall, scarey. His mood swings came on quick and he realized he was better off staying on the Paxil. We are both on 40 mg a day.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 19, 2013 10:40 PM
Review by finabr: User Rating:

I know its working but I have really bad breath. Never before have I had a problem with that but know I cannot eat enough mints. I will take that side effect because I feel 100% better.

May 19, 2013 8:57 AM
Review by Lola Bella: User Rating:

I had been placed on depression pill upon depression pill and I seemed to be on an emotional roller coaster, then I was put on 20 mg Paxil. I have been on it now for almost four years and it has helped me through some down times. I was able to get through it the past years and am so grateful for it.

May 17, 2013 11:10 AM
Review by RenewedAgain (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

When I started Paxil 7 months ago I was clinically depressed. I had panic attacks that would come several times a day and my body was always tense. I had Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I was wrecked after an emotional trauma. My brain was on overdrive. Within the first 2 months on Paxil I kept a journal blogging symptoms and changes and after a while I realized I stopped writing altogether. I would always write when I was sad. The medicine kept being more effective as time went on but I eventually got a dose upage from 20mg to 30mg. I have never felt so happy, ever.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 26, 2013 8:24 PM
Review by PerplexedRePaxil (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I went on Paxil a year after father died 15 years ago. I was told it was non-addictive and started on a low-mid dosage, 20mg. It helped and was on it for about 10-12 years. I just accepted that I needed it. Everyone is correct about not missing doses - if I missed 2-3 days, I'd get very emotional, cry at drop of a hat, etc. - which I unfortunately took as proof that I needed to stay on it - I didn't understand it was the withdrawal effects! Over time, with ups/downs in career, I gradually increased dosages, going to 40 mg/day. In late 2010, after out of work for 2-3 years, I went back to general dr and he prescribed 60mg/day. Within a couple months, I was in downward spiral.

March 22, 2013 3:20 AM
Review by Happy B: User Rating:

Before taking Paxil, I was on several different antidepressants which didn't work. At one point I had to be hospitalized, but since being on Paxil I am no longer depressed. Only side effect that I have experienced is dry mouth. It has been 17 years that I have been symptom free!

March 21, 2013 11:04 AM
Review by CP15856 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

After about one week I was out and active. Engaging with others again and doing much better at work. I also do not have the desire to sleep all day. I have lost weight also due to increased exercise and a minimal loss of appetite. Side effects are minimal, but sex is impossible. I take Paxil 40mg once a day and Xanax 1mg twice. I am a new person! I tried Prozac, Effexor, Seroquel and Lamictal with few benefits. Paxil is by far the best medicine I have ever tried. I am nervous however when I read about the horrible side effects of missed doses and stopping Paxil.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 12, 2012 9:03 AM
Review by PurpleBondGirl (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Caused me to have very bad headaches. Light sensitivity. Dizziness.

December 6, 2012 12:36 PM
Review by cellamonster (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

This has been a miracle for me. I've been on it for two weeks and its already helping. The only thing is I have terr

December 1, 2012 1:30 PM
Review by rmaxwell9 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

If you read the other reviews, they are all correct in saying you must NEVER stop taking this medication suddenly. Coming off this medicine was one of the most difficult things. You must do it very slowly and possibly add some other medications to ease the side effects. It's so important to have a good doctor to guide you.

October 15, 2012 8:53 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

It has been incredibly helpful with depression, muscle tension, PMS, and premenopause and decreased migraines. I take 25mg extended release.

October 8, 2012 9:11 PM
Review by SaraxoJDqt (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Took this med for a month at 20mg and I was one of those who began to notice positive effects overnight. It improved my mood exponentially and since I've never had a sex drive (from depression) I actually gained one while on Paxil. Sex was much more pleasurable. Unfortunately I thought I could find a med that was even BETTER, so was put on Cymbalta and Abilify, but have had miniscule improvements. Tomorrow I'm going to start back up on the Paxil.

September 27, 2012 8:33 PM
Review by Rappman (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I went to my primary doctor for a check up. I told him that I just was not feeling right. He referred me to the mental health clinic. The doctor there asked me a lot of questions about how I felt, was I suicidal. Discussed my military life. And any combat experience. That was to check on PTSD. She started me on Paxil. I had the usual side effects of dry mouth, couldn't sleep, excessive urination, constipation, and diarrhea. But I got over the side effects when my body got used to the medication. One of the main problems with this medication is that I cannot get an erection and cannot orgasm.

September 8, 2012 10:36 AM
Review by discochick (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I was prescribed this medication initially for depression and then along with another medication for atypical depression and panic disorder. I had to give it some stars because it did help with the anxiety. Problem was I had no life. No sex drive. Emotionally flat. Slept 12-16 hrs a day (I craved sleep all the time) and ate non stop eventually gaining 80 lbs. Finally my husband encouraged me to go off it. I tapered the dose and experienced brain zaps and generally weird feelings for several weeks.

May 31, 2012 6:41 PM