User Reviews for Paxil

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil Review Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Depression

"I've just started on paxil. Doctor said take in morning but I've been horribly groggy and depressed. So I switched to taking it at night and there's an amazing difference! I'm energetic and I feel good this far. I can organize My thoughts and anxiety seems to be down abit but like I said just the begenning. Weight loss- paxil curbs my appetite!! It's great because I need to lose a lot of weight. I've lost about 6 pounds so far but I am also dieting, exercising, and actively trying to lose weight the appetite suppressant affect just help me a lot!"

Kimera July 31, 2015

"I began taking Paxil 'by choice' 15 years ago; when my panic and anxiety was out of control. I didn't realize I had always suffered from depression until I took this medicine.The very fist day I took the 20 mgs. I felt a calmness like never before.The first couple of weeks or so I felt a little zoned out; perhaps more depressed seeming. Looking back I think my depression was left on its own. It took a couple of weeks to improve that but it did. I was on it for 2 years before weaning off due to weight gain and thinking I was better. I fell back into severe depression and panic. Went back on it, tried to wean again. Same response. A third time put me in the hospital. 7 years later I still have to take meds but nothing has helped since paxil."

Marchbaby (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 26, 2015

"This drug made me feel super high. I felt like I was on meth, couldn't sleep and felt to intoxicated to drive. Quit after a few days."

B in CO May 20, 2015

"I have been on Paxil for 3 weeks. Previously I was on Lexapro and it worked well, however, I wanted to quit smoking, so was switched to Paxil. I have noticed I am sleeping all night through without getting up at 2 or 3 am and staying up the rest of the night. I do however have the vertigo, but, I have suffered from vertigo for 20 years so I cannot actually attribute that to the Paxil. I also have the appetite loss! I can only eat 1/3 of what I ate previously. So far, so good. I have no problem taking a med for my depression, no different than a heart condition, just much harder to treat! Hoping it keeps going good!"

kmspots March 5, 2015

"I was wondering why I had irregular bowel movements for quite some time. I went to Dr. after Dr. explaining my symptoms (constipation, bloating, back pain, dark stool.) Most of them thought I had IBS or an allergy to gluten. I had these symptoms from 2009 till recently. After some thought I decided to switch my medication. My Psychologist wrote me a new prescription and I started to ween of the paxil. 2 weeks into my new medication schedule I started to feel 1000 times better! I go to the bathroom daily now just as a healthy person should. In fact, it seems like my body is trying to make up for lost time. Needless to say, Paxil I feel is the cause of my extreme constipation."

7mike3 March 3, 2015

"I have been on Paxil now for about 10 years. My dosage was 20 milligrams for a long time. Within the last two months I was feeling emotionless. I finally went to my doctor today and described my feelings to her. She changed my dosage to 40 milligrams. I feel better already! If it wasn't for Paxil I would be a basket case like I was before I went on it. I no longer have panic attacks and very little anxiety now. For those who are having a bad experience with Paxil...don't give up. You may need a different dosage or an entirely different antidepressant. Mental fragility is nothing to take lightly. Keep asking for help until you get it. Good luck to all of you."

drkatie2 December 22, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Paxil was the first antidepressant I was put on when I was first diagnosed with depression roughly a year and a half ago. While it did stop the suicidal thoughts, the side effects were just not worth it for me. It made me tired ALL THE TIME. And not just kind of sleepy. It was more like I could get a full nights rest, wake up, and not half an hour later feel so exhausted that if I laid down on the ground I could take a nap right there. It also took away my ability to orgasm. I'm a 21 y/o (20 at the time) college girl who is a pretty sexually open person. So to say I was not down to never have another orgasm while on it would be a huge understatement. Did work, but not worth the side effects."

Redhead0893 December 6, 2014

"This was the only medicine I could take and didn't have a care or worry in the world."

luck1313 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2014

"I have been taking this for 6 -7 months. It works good for me but when I miss 1 or 2 days my mood it's really high. I will fight or yell, but when I take it to cool down it works. I was 147lbs when I started it and now I'm 127lbs. I have lost a lot and I'm happy. I eat a lot but when I do eat its just a little. Sometime I even forget to drink or eat anything on this pill but I like it as long as I take it everyday I'm happy."

l3x (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Even through this medicine helps you to get over with some issues that you struggle in your everyday life, it doesn't really help you at all in terms of your depressive thoughts and depression itself."

J. Pinkman (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2014

"First off I just want to say, please don't be alarmed/afraid when you read that your going to gain a tremendous amount of weight while taking Paxil. Not saying by any means anybody is lying nor the information they provide about this medicine is false. Everybody is different and will receive different results. I almost contacted my physician right away, in demands I obtain a different medication after hearing about the weight gain, however, I gave it a fair chance. I did NOT want to a eat a thing while on Paxil and my friends already noticed I've dropped a significant amount of weight. Please don't avoid this medication because of freight about weight gain because it might very well not happen! My social anxiety also vanished."

Amandaaaaa July 14, 2014

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Loved this medicine, helped me a lot. Problem is I got glaucoma."

cinzach June 25, 2014

"I wonder if anyone can relate to my experience with Paxil. During about 17 years of severe depression and anxiety, no medication (I've tried them all) seemed to help and the ones that did, brought along unbearable side effects. ECT didn't help either. Paxil is the only pill that really works for me, but it makes me slightly manic. Combining it with a mood stabiliser works perfect %u2013 but only for 6 months. After that, it's depression all over again. After waiting for another 6 months, I can start using Paxil in combination with a mood stabiliser again, with good results that always only lasts for 6 months. This 6 months on/6 months off has become a very predictable pattern over the years. "

JohannesB (taken for 10 years or more) May 26, 2014

"I experienced severe postpartum depression after my twins were born, actually it started after I stopped breastfeeding them. My hormones were all over the place. I was sleep deprived and suicidal. Paxil worked great on my depression, but I had negative side effects. First of all, it really flattened my emotional response. Nothing much upset me, but nothing made me excited either. I had zero sex drive and could not achieve orgasm at all. I also gained a lot of weight in a very short amount of time. Also, I had trouble falling asleep. I switched to Wellbutrin, and actually lost weight. I would still have difficulty coping some days, but it was manageable, and no negative side effects."

Stressed Momma (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2014

"Been taking Paxil 40mg since November 2007, works absolutely fine. Treated my major depression without any complications, did not affect my sex life, at first its hard to have an orgasm, but over time, its as fast as you want them. Medication however did cause some minor hair thinning and hair loss in my front head area, treating it with Minoxidil 2.5mg once a day. Otherwise medication works absolutely great for major depression mostly. Doctors have advised that its hard to get off this medication on your own, do not attempt to discontinue the medication on your own once you've been on it for a long period, consult with your doctor."

Aerospace747 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 21, 2014

"Paxil helped me get my life and emotions back on track after depression linked to a divorce. I had been feeling more down than ever before, and couldn't shake it despite every effort through talk counseling, relaxation, and exercise. For the first 3-4 weeks, initially at 10 mg and then at 20 mg, I felt that Paxil was having no effect on me. But as it kicked in, I felt happier, more myself, and more alive than in years, sustained now for 3 months. It's been a very natural feeling, as if a fog has lifted rather than any medicated fakeness. Only side effect has been gaining 15 pounds (after losing 10 pounds from depression), even while training for and running a half-marathon. No difficulty cutting dosage to 15mg, and will soon cut to 10mg."

D Tex (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2014

"I've used Paxil when I was in my 20's for depression and anxiety. Paxil worked great for me. Side effects were loss of appetite for 2 weeks and taking long to ejaculate which I loved this side effect. Through the years I have been on and off Paxil with it working for me every time but I notice as I got into my 30's it made me very drowsy when taking it. Of all my time of taking Paxil I have never taken it for more than 3 months. I experience the brain zaps once only when I used it for the 1st time. Never had a problem going off Paxil since that 1st time. I would recommend Paxil for depression and definitely anxiety. However, the last time I took it in my 40's it was causing me stomach problem and made my throat feel scratchy all the time."

wesskid February 2, 2014

"I took Paxil for about 4 years. It was truly a life saver from the horrible depression I suffer from. However, after about 4 years it quit working, and my doc moved me to Bupropion. Paxil was terrible about causing me to randomly fall asleep. I had to pull off the road and nap MANY times. Also, almost no sex life while taking it. "

JohnHalo (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 28, 2014

"I began taking Paxil in addition to Celexa two years ago when I was 16. It is not bad--no stomach aches, weight gain, or horrible headaches--but I have noticed the total disappearance of my sex drive. Totally gone. This might be because of the Celexa as well. Not sure. I was taking 40mg Celexa, 20mg Paxil, 1 mg Ativan, and occasionally trazodone or doxepine to sleep, for a while and when I cut my dosage in half over the summer, I was a mess. Constant migraines and irritability. So I suggest that if you use Paxil, be careful to come off it slowly."

Teenage Depression (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2014

"Where to start, after losing two family members in a month I went into a deep off the charts depression according to my doctor--I was close to suicide because I felt so horrible, I lost 50lbs in just a few months, could not sleep or sit still. My mind raced from morning till night and I couldn't control it. I was a perfectly normal person prior to this. My doctor gave me Lexapro, HORRIBLE, I had a psychotic episode with that. I found a new doctor who specialized in Depression, he gave me 60mg of Paxil along with 10mg of Valium if needed. It took about 1 week to start feeling better and 3 months until I was my old self. I am still on 45mg 3 years later but am symptom free--I highly recommend Paxil--DON'T LET IT GET TOO BAD----SEEK HELP!"

Genesis667 January 15, 2014

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Started off with a low dosage about 18 months ago now I am on 60 mg a day. Feeling a lot better now.."

gatorarea December 30, 2013

"Bipolar, ADHD, OCD, etc. Many of the symptoms overlap and crossover into each other and others as well. Depression is found in each condition, and I find for myself that depression is by far the most debilitating condition of all. I first tried Paxil 12 years ago for depression and anxiety. The Paxil worked great. The side effects included a little nausea (which is basically eliminated by eating something with or soon after taking the med) and some sexual issues (which I believe can be negotiated after you get used to the Paxil). I quit taking it when I switched insurance and because of the perceived stigma I had with taking anything for conditions I didn't want to even acknowledge. Now I'm back on it and will keep it up!"

Marc love October 29, 2013

"I've been taking paroxetine for a week. I haven't felt like thus in years! I feel like myself again! The first few days I experienced nausea and dizzy spells and dry mouth. But now the only side effect is dry mouth. This is a Miracle drug!"

ash ren (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2013

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Nothing worked for my anxiety attacks except Paxil; my quality of life improved significantly with this."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 31, 2013

"I had taken Paxil when I was younger and it worked wonders with my depression and social disorder. However, this time around it is different, but still better with than without. My husband has been on it for close to 5 years. He used to be so angry all the time about everything, this helped him. It helped us because I am a person who does not do well with yelling and arguing. He did try to stop a few months back and it was terrible because his aggressiveness and irritability was off the wall, scarey. His mood swings came on quick and he realized he was better off staying on the Paxil. We are both on 40 mg a day. "

CuriousCass2012 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 19, 2013

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next