User Reviews for Oxcarbazepine

Also known as: Oxtellar XR, Trileptal

Learn more about Oxcarbazepine.

Oxcarbazepine Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Oxcarbazepine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I've tried all the psch ones and nothings helped but when they put me on trileptal OMG wonderful seriously. I take 600 mg, I also gabapentin 600 mg X 3"

Angela5757 May 14, 2015

"Makes me really sleepy, my mood is OK, but to sleepy"

Loni402 May 10, 2015

"I started taking this medication because Lamictal stopped working for my bipolar disorder. I'm giving this one star because this medication didn't stabilize my mood disorder and I had side effects: dizziness, nausea, sedation. I have since switched to other medication and have been stable for many years."

BAAEEEEEEE (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2015

"This medication saved my life. Before, I was crying nonstop and having extreme fits of rage and woke up every day wanting to day. Now that I've had it in my system for about 3 weeks, I don't feel perfect obviously but I feel much evened out. I'm not euphoric but I'm not severely depressed either and they don't switch from one another like they used to. For a long time I could barely sleep and now I can finally sleep through the night. I'm much more rational and I feel that it's much easier to go about daily life and now I'm finally working on repairing my relationships with people. Great drug"

crustycat February 15, 2015

"Was on 150 mg to start. 3rd week 300 mg. Now experiencing crusty lips and mouth sores. Will tell Dr tomorrow. "

marggh February 5, 2015

"This medicine is WONDERFUL. I can't believe how amazing I feel. I look back at how I was living my life and I can't believe I haven't got on this before. I want to get out of bed now and my mood has changed a lot! First time out on meds and it works!"

Baby2dope January 22, 2015

"Just started taking this and I feel GREAT! I have more energy and I feel wonderful. First medication I ever tried so I'm really happy this worked."

Baby2dope December 27, 2014

"I switched to 300 mg oxcarbazepine twice daily from 15 mg Abilify daily to treat my Bipolar disorder after experiencing an uncontrollable appetite, astronomical weight gain, and constant fatigue. Since beginning this medicine I have seen a drastic improvement in my daily emotional state, mood, and level of energy. I love it and have never had better results from any other medication. The one side effect I can say I've experienced is a lightheadedness a couple times after standing up too quickly but since increasing my sodium intake and drinking more water, it hasn't happened again. Outside of that, I have nothing negative to say about this medication. It has been a definite life-saver for me."

SixTwelve (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2014

"I've been on atleast 10 different medications for bipolar in the last 10years. At the moment I takes Invega, Rivotril, Lamictal, and Trileptal. Trileptal was added later about 6months ago. Since Trileptal was added, I became noticeably less depress and no thoughts of suicide. My mood became more stable and less agitated. The down side is that I now have less energy and don't feel like leaving the house. From what I was feeling before, I guess Having less energy is better than depress and constantly have suicide thoughts. After switching all kind of different drugs back and fourth, I realized there are no perfect drug! There will be side effect and set back but you just have to lives with what can do most for you."

Banc55555 October 4, 2014

"Incredible stuff. I have severe panic disorder and bipolar disorder. Before I took it, I was getting worse and worse, hallucinating and not being able to chill out. I started on 600mg once a day. I clearly remember when I started it. It felt like I was surrounded by pillows when I moved around, in a good way. I feel "normal" now (no pillows, I promise!). I had a crazy rash that caused me to need prednisone, but I'm on Lamictal/Lexapro/Trileptal, so who knows what caused it! I'm at 600mg/3x a day, so 1800 total. I have to take it at 8am / 1pm / 8pm on the dot or I feel like I'm losing it again. I wish there was something that would cover the entire day, but it's worth the trouble."

saranodamnedh October 2, 2014

"I was on this medication for 8 years. They wanted me to get to 1200 mgs, but I couldn't function past 300, so that's where I've been and I take it at night. I've run out several times and have experienced zero side effects. My sodium gets dangerously low and I have to increase my salt intake. I thought I was all better and stopped taking it several months ago. I've been feeling suicidal and have been on manic spending benders and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then I realized I shouldn't have taken myself off the medication. I'm also going to see a psychologist. I don't like psychiatrists because they always try to pawn off the latest medication marketed to them with perks."

Cshepp (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 29, 2014

"Tegretol was great for me (at 800mg/day),but screwed up my liver function tests,so my pdoc switched me to Trileptal (1200 mg/day),so far,so good"

edrt123 September 25, 2014

"Was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 12 yrs ago, took Neurontin, Lexapro & Seroquel for 2 yrs with no problems. My P doc moved; new one weaned me off Lexapro & added Lamictal. I started getting fevers, stopped Lamictal, fevers more frequent & higher, til I woke up in an ER. Long story short, found out a month later I had NMS (Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome). My highest fever was 109 deg F. pDoc took me off Seroquel, fevers continued a while. Tried Lamictal alone, got Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. Result, I can't take any antipsychotics. Have some brain damage; can't go outside in hot weather, high blood pressure. Had bad depression, then manic episode, no sleep 8 days, therapist said I was psychotic. This was last 10 days ago. Just started Trileptal. This is my last-ditch resort."

cyn37211 September 18, 2014

"My dose is 900mg twice a day. Been on nearly every medication out there. Due to side effects and allergies this was the last medicine before trying lithium. I am a 100% disabled veteran so I receive my healthcare from VA. Also take Lorazepam 1mg three times a day, and Sertraline 100mg in the morning. Trazodone and Prazosin to sleep. Hard to treat BiPolar Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, I guess."

Defensor Fortis (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2014

"Even at the maximum dosage, this was honestly nothing more than a placebo, and I didn't feel any more balanced than I was before I got on it. After this, I took Neurontin, which was definitely better for my mood swings, although it took a pretty high dose, and made me a little slow."

Joshx17 August 1, 2014

"I have taken trileptal for many years....I could not be happier with the results of this medication...It gave me the 'brakes' I seemed to be lacking due to my bp.....I would fly off the handle, stay mad for what seemed like days....and for nothing....I have only had slight side effects...mild headache and some dizziness at first and after any dosage changes...but these were nothing compared to wonderful results I've had...Good luck everyone!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 16, 2014

"I am currently prescribed 300mg per day for use as a mood stabilizer. Dr never told me I was bipolar (found out when I googled this medicine). I previously took Latuda. They work the same for me. I took 600mg last night by accident and it has me ultra mellow."

meosheat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 7, 2014

"I started taking this medicine about 4 years ago for bipolar. This medicine was exactly what I needed. I still felt my emotions but had control of them. I might get upset at something but didn't go full tilt "hulk mad." I always explain it to the doc like this: it brings my highs down and my lows up. The only downside is I don't ever experience the emotion of "happy." I have forgotten what it is like to have a good time so I mimic what I see other people doing in social settings to appear normal. An interesting side effect I noticed is that when I am depressed I don't feel depressed. I can tell by all of the normal symptoms. I just don't feel it."

Briman (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2014

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I tried every anti-psychotic, every re-uptake inhibitor known to man. In 2010 I had a doctor work with me and prescribed Oxcarbazepine. I feel like my old self again. For over 4 years I was able to maintain employment, interact with my children in a healthier way. It has changed my life."

Kaylon (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Good medicine. I'm allergic to Lamictal so this is my best option, Depakote causes constant depression."

kuare (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2014

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): "I was on Topamax and my Dr. added 300 mg Trileptal twice a day to deal with anxiety issues caused by Topamax. I have experienced no weight gain and few side effects. There was an initial feeling of "contentment" whenever I took it, but this wore off after a couple weeks. Since adding Trileptal to the repertoire I've experience no manic symptoms but blessed, normal emotions. It's like the anxiety was cut away and a real human being was exposed underneath. The emotions are loud and clear but they aren't overpowering. No cycling. I'd say this was a real plus."

bsh85 September 24, 2013

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): "Tried Tegretol to no avail. Trileptel is great for me."

junelynn63 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 15, 2013

"Would be helpful if reviewers included dose; I'm at 600mg (300 twice a day) and this has worked 'like magic' to slow me down. I used to feel nearly constantly anxious, irritable and visual and auditory input would overwhelmed me. Certain people's voices felt like my ears were being poked; eye contact was overwhelming, like I was receiving too much input. Certain smells were like an 'instant headache'. Trileptal regulated my sleep cycle first, which was always a huge issue - now it's 10:00 PM to 5:30 AM almost the same every night with none of the previous wake-ups and morning exhaustion. I am one of the ones who has the 'low sodium' side effect but what a great side effect - I get to eat more salt. And my blood pressure is lower."

Artemis2 June 10, 2013

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): "I have just begun Trileptal as a treatment for Bipolar I. I was previously on Seroquel 150 and was unable to function at all within 45 minutes of taking it. I experience rapid cycling and more manic episodes than depressive ones and so the Seroquel helped me sleep. However, I noticed weight gain almost immediately and immense hunger-almost ravenous. When it would wear off I was extremely hostile and agitated. The side effects seemed to outweigh the benefits. So far Trileptal has left me with no side effects except for a slight headache and I have smoothly transitioned out of my manic episode. I feel like I may need a sleep aid however- still experiencing a bit of insomnia. I can only hope the success continues!"

Ewokbaby June 5, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My son has been placed on this medication for bipolar type 2 he had been off medicines for 6 years and after he quit smoking he lost it totally, could not keep his cool and blew up at everything. The girl he was seeing was the last straw and he snapped. Went back to suicidal thoughts and they put him on Celexia which was not helping any of the thoughts he was having and he was in tears over some things and punching walls on other things. He started this medication about 3 weeks ago, the thoughts he says are better but the agitation he got from quitting smoking is still a major problem. He just jumps down someones throat for seemingly no apparent reason or he will not understand what someone is saying to him and read into it."

ladagosta (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2013