User Reviews for Oxcarbazepine

Also known as: Oxtellar XR, Trileptal

Learn more about Oxcarbazepine.

Oxcarbazepine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Oxcarbazepine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Extreme anxiety, exhausted"

Georgiaray (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

"I have been on many different medications for my bipolar for the last 8 years, and have been on Trileptal for 9 months. This is the best mood stabilizer I have ever been on. With this in my treatment regimen, along with some other good meds (celexa, prolixin) I am the most stable I have been in my life. It also has minimal side effects. It has a nice calming effect without being sedating or causing cognitive impairment, and it doesn't increase appetite for me like so many similar meds do. I started on 300 mg twice a day and about two months ago had to be increased to 600 mg twice a day. I did experience about a week or so of dizziness when first starting this medicine and when increasing the dose, however no side effects now."

Penguin88 April 27, 2016

Oxtellar XR (oxcarbazepine): "This is a cleaner way of taking trileptal, it really does make both medication management and the side effects easier to manage. On generic trilepetal I needed to medicate twice daily & the morning dose really put me in a fog, not to mention how intense the headaches could get about 30 minutes after my 3x evening dose. Now the headaches still come but are far less intense & the onset is hours later. Also, the lethargy factor is greatly reduced, I take 900 mg. @ 6 PM & I'm ready for bed at 10:30, not focused on getting to my pillow all night like I was previously. This medication does interfere with my ability to urinate within 2 hours of taking it. As for the positives, I'm a rapid-cycler & days are most certainly more stable. Give it time"

crazydude81 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

"I finally am able to live without so much fear and anger. I've been struggling a long time with finding the right meds. And I'm not fond of waiting 4-6 weeks for a therapeutic level. Not with this med. It works fast and it really calms me down..ALOT. Never thought I could be so passive. The only thing is my doctor started me with 300 mg a day...was not working for me..so I did my own research..and that was a little low for an adult..so I started taking 600 mg a day..perfect..perfect. I had my doctor change my mg. My goodness..a miracle drug..I am a different person on this med..no manic episodes.I even talk different..not loud and all over the place..my mind doesn't race. Thanks Trileptal!"

33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2016

"I was on Trileptal for less than 6 months because I was having trouble affording it at the time. What I can say is it helped with my moodswings & I didn't experience any side effects from it. Overall, I think this is a good medication."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

"I took Trileptal from Feb 2015 to Dec 2015 - now weaning off it to lithium. I LOVED the way Trileptal handled my bipolar depression. I felt alert, alive, just really great. Unfortunately, a fall in August alerted my doctor to my bones being weakened. Also, I have optic neuritis in my left eye starting in July. Between those two side effects, we've decided to taper off the trileptal and return to lithium. I'm sad to stop it but the soft bones and eye issues are too great a problem to continue it."

cms13 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2015

"I have been on Triliptal for a few years and it helps a lot. Did see that it has a pain relieving effect, big time. It decreases anxiety, helps with sleep, mellows me out and at times I can't feel like my legs which is amusing since I realize this med. has a big effect on decreasing nerve pain, muscle pain ..... any pain? So, now onto the side effects: Low sodium, decreased heart rate (for me anyway) I also can't remember things, and when I read -- well that doesn't work out too well, but I try. I can't remember what I read. I space out a lot. I also don't feel like eating. I used to take Tegretol and that was awful, so I am pleased with this med. I take 1200 mg per day. It is hard with the 600 mg in the morning (I want to sleep)"

Yukongirl December 27, 2015

"Gabapentin was a life saving drug In regards to getting my bipolar under control. Before then, I had taken just about everything there was out there for bipolar, some would work, short lived, others I would not work at all. I was so angry all the time, for no apparent reason, and Lord forbid someone say something to me that upset me, I'd bite their head right off and say mean, hurting words to those that I love. Finally, I was stable, no roller coaster moods, anger or rage. The medication also calmed my severe anxiety and I was able to get off of xanax, which I had to have or I'd be a nervous, shaking, tremor in wreck, all day everyday !!! I might also add, that my severe depression was lifted, finally, I feel alive,well, and stable again."

kimmurdaugh (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2015

"I've been on a lot of mood medicines and this is one of the best medicines yet... although it makes my eyes really blurry! Will be getting a new pair of glasses soon!"

glassesgirl82 November 11, 2015

"I have been on Trileptal generic for 5 years. I highly recommend this drug. I've experienced no side effects. It's really a life savor!"

Love yourself November 1, 2015

"Only take brand-name Trileptal. Use of generic, oxcarbazepine resulted in stomach distress - gastritis"

Anonymous October 24, 2015

"I've been on generic Oxcarbazepine, 600 mg 3X day for years and it wasn't quite enough, alone, to control my Bipolar Disorder, but taken along with Lithium, seems to have finally been the combo I needed to bring me back to reality with stable mood, although it does make me very sleepy. I was crying every day and alternatingly unreasonably angry for years and years, going undiagnosed for decades. Bipolar runs rampant in my family, so I don't know why I didn't realize THAT was my issue, too! Just never put it together after watching my brother and sister's crazy rages, since mine was so different than that! Derp!"

Vastra S. September 20, 2015

"I have used it along with Trileptal and it has really helped as a mood stabilizer especially the manic stage. The bad part of taking it is when my doctor did not increased the Oxtallar XR & took me off the Trileptal all together I had a relapsed and was crying everyday. I am back on the Trileptal and my doctor is going to increase my Oxtellar XR 3 times a day and taper me off of Trileptal slowly because my sodium levels are a bit high. But other than that no complaints."

theslink25 September 12, 2015

"Diagnosed Bipolar I in 1997. I went through many combinations of medications since that time. I've been hospitalized 7 times and had massive amounts of ECT treatments. I was started on Trileptal in 2002 and always had two or more medications in conjunction with the Trileptal. I would definitely recommend it BUT watch your sodium levels and know there is a time limit for being on the drug. Went off Trileptal in 2010 and I'm now on Lithium, which I think is superior. Start with qualified (i.e. board certified psychiatrists specializing in mood disorders) professionals and see a equally skilled psychologist regularly. The meds will follow. Good luck out there! "

Pacific Swimmer September 6, 2015

"Was misdiagnosed for a very long time with major depression that included thoughts of suicide and after medications after medications I finally was reevaluated by a psychiatrist who properly diagnosed me with Bipolar Disorder and since have been taking Trileptal. Since starting the medication I have improved drastically and feel much more active and confident in myself and the environment in which I am in. Before I was always nervous and anxious and assumed people were against me but now I have allowed people in. I'm getting some emotion back including love. I have been married for years and for the first time in a while I am beginning to feel the happiness the illness had deprived me of. I hope to continue this medication. I'm happy"

Melipach July 26, 2015

"My 8 year old son was diagnosed with bipolar affective disorder and is on 300mg twice daily and clondine twice daily and has improved with his rages and outburst . I am impressed because his first meds were not working at all."

Mama's boy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

"Wasn't effective for mood stabilization and I went in to manic episode. I took 600 mg 2x/d. Also caused some rash on arms and slightly decreased serum sodium level."

be2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

"Been on this med for 3 yrs & generally have had a good experience. I've been on multiple antidepressants over the years, but found they increased my irritability. My Favorite was Zoloft, but gained 40 pounds in 2 yrs. A Dr. put me on lamictal & kept increasing the dose. Total nightmare. Extreme depression, anxiety increased & felt mania for the first time ever. My current Dr. switched me to Trileptal. Complete blessing to sleep again. The toss up? Going from feeling like I was on a pot of coffee to a bottle of wine. Had slurred speech & foggy head. My job requires me to speak in front of groups & taking in the AM was bad. Solution? Small dose of Lamictal (25 mg) in the AM (gets me up) & Trileptal (300 mg) at night for sleep. Been working!"

Just a person June 10, 2015

"I have been taking trileptal over 12 years. Current dosage 1800mg. The drug worked many years without side effects noticed. Today suffer from thin bones, hypernatremia, colitis. Psychologically a great drug. Physically not so much."

LilyPida June 7, 2015

"Does not stress me out or make me angry like gabapentin did."

quista (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2015

"I've tried all the psch ones and nothings helped but when they put me on trileptal OMG wonderful seriously. I take 600 mg, I also gabapentin 600 mg X 3"

Angela5757 May 14, 2015

"Makes me really sleepy, my mood is OK, but to sleepy"

Loni402 May 10, 2015

"I started taking this medication because Lamictal stopped working for my bipolar disorder. I'm giving this one star because this medication didn't stabilize my mood disorder and I had side effects: dizziness, nausea, sedation. I have since switched to other medication and have been stable for many years."

BAAEEEEEEE (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2015

"This medication saved my life. Before, I was crying nonstop and having extreme fits of rage and woke up every day wanting to day. Now that I've had it in my system for about 3 weeks, I don't feel perfect obviously but I feel much evened out. I'm not euphoric but I'm not severely depressed either and they don't switch from one another like they used to. For a long time I could barely sleep and now I can finally sleep through the night. I'm much more rational and I feel that it's much easier to go about daily life and now I'm finally working on repairing my relationships with people. Great drug"

crustycat February 15, 2015

"Was on 150 mg to start. 3rd week 300 mg. Now experiencing crusty lips and mouth sores. Will tell Dr tomorrow. "

marggh February 5, 2015