User Reviews for Oxcarbazepine

Also known as: Oxtellar XR, Trileptal

Learn more about Oxcarbazepine.

Oxcarbazepine review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Oxcarbazepine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by Defensor Fortis (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My dose is 900mg twice a day. Been on nearly every medication out there. Due to side effects and allergies this was the last medicine before trying lithium. I am a 100% disabled veteran so I receive my healthcare from VA. Also take Lorazepam 1mg three times a day, and Sertraline 100mg in the morning. Trazodone and Prazosin to sleep. Hard to treat BiPolar Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, I guess.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 9:21 PM

Review by Joshx17:

Even at the maximum dosage, this was honestly nothing more than a placebo, and I didn't feel any more balanced than I was before I got on it. After this, I took Neurontin, which was definitely better for my mood swings, although it took a pretty high dose, and made me a little slow.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2014 3:58 AM

Review by meosheat (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I am currently prescribed 300mg per day for use as a mood stabilizer. Dr never told me I was bipolar (found out when I googled this medicine). I previously took Latuda. They work the same for me. I took 600mg last night by accident and it has me ultra mellow.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 7, 2014 11:28 AM

Review by Briman (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I started taking this medicine about 4 years ago for bipolar. This medicine was exactly what I needed. I still felt my emotions but had control of them. I might get upset at something but didn't go full tilt "hulk mad." I always explain it to the doc like this: it brings my highs down and my lows up. The only downside is I don't ever experience the emotion of "happy." I have forgotten what it is like to have a good time so I mimic what I see other people doing in social settings to appear normal. An interesting side effect I noticed is that when I am depressed I don't feel depressed. I can tell by all of the normal symptoms. I just don't feel it.

April 10, 2014 12:07 AM

Review by Kaylon (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I tried every anti-psychotic, every re-uptake inhibitor known to man. In 2010 I had a doctor work with me and prescribed Oxcarbazepine. I feel like my old self again. For over 4 years I was able to maintain employment, interact with my children in a healthier way. It has changed my life.

January 14, 2014 7:47 PM

Review by kuare (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Good medicine. I'm allergic to Lamictal so this is my best option, Depakote causes constant depression.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2014 11:20 AM

Review by bsh85:

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): I was on Topamax and my Dr. added 300 mg Trileptal twice a day to deal with anxiety issues caused by Topamax. I have experienced no weight gain and few side effects. There was an initial feeling of "contentment" whenever I took it, but this wore off after a couple weeks. Since adding Trileptal to the repertoire I've experience no manic symptoms but blessed, normal emotions. It's like the anxiety was cut away and a real human being was exposed underneath. The emotions are loud and clear but they aren't overpowering. No cycling. I'd say this was a real plus.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2013 9:16 PM

Review by junelynn63 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): Tried Tegretol to no avail. Trileptel is great for me.

June 15, 2013 8:24 AM

Review by Artemis2:

Would be helpful if reviewers included dose; I'm at 600mg (300 twice a day) and this has worked 'like magic' to slow me down. I used to feel nearly constantly anxious, irritable and visual and auditory input would overwhelmed me. Certain people's voices felt like my ears were being poked; eye contact was overwhelming, like I was receiving too much input. Certain smells were like an 'instant headache'. Trileptal regulated my sleep cycle first, which was always a huge issue - now it's 10:00 PM to 5:30 AM almost the same every night with none of the previous wake-ups and morning exhaustion. I am one of the ones who has the 'low sodium' side effect but what a great side effect - I get to eat more salt. And my blood pressure is lower.

June 10, 2013 12:52 PM

Review by Ewokbaby:

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): I have just begun Trileptal as a treatment for Bipolar I. I was previously on Seroquel 150 and was unable to function at all within 45 minutes of taking it. I experience rapid cycling and more manic episodes than depressive ones and so the Seroquel helped me sleep. However, I noticed weight gain almost immediately and immense hunger-almost ravenous. When it would wear off I was extremely hostile and agitated. The side effects seemed to outweigh the benefits. So far Trileptal has left me with no side effects except for a slight headache and I have smoothly transitioned out of my manic episode. I feel like I may need a sleep aid however- still experiencing a bit of insomnia. I can only hope the success continues!

June 5, 2013 9:34 PM

Review by ladagosta (taken for less than 1 month):

My son has been placed on this medication for bipolar type 2 he had been off medicines for 6 years and after he quit smoking he lost it totally, could not keep his cool and blew up at everything. The girl he was seeing was the last straw and he snapped. Went back to suicidal thoughts and they put him on Celexia which was not helping any of the thoughts he was having and he was in tears over some things and punching walls on other things. He started this medication about 3 weeks ago, the thoughts he says are better but the agitation he got from quitting smoking is still a major problem. He just jumps down someones throat for seemingly no apparent reason or he will not understand what someone is saying to him and read into it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 16, 2013 9:06 PM

Review by Ncderw (taken for less than 1 month):

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): I am diagnosed with Bipolar, still unsure if my type is 1 or 2 because I experienced good several bout of signification impairment of function depressions and frequent severe hypomanics or mild manics. Mixed episodes are my main presentation of bipolar disorder. I tried Lamotrigine and many antidepressants, all they did was fueled my mild delusional manics and another times was mixed. I was on carbamazepine and lithium, it was good but I developed allergic reaction to carbamazepine and fueled a month and half long of constant hypomania mood and doctor put me on Trileptal. For the first time I am able to feel content without any explanation. It is a great medicine, you don't feel side effect and being content, that's a dream to me.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2013 2:28 PM

Review by Cmunk (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Do NOT stop taking this medication. I was out of state and ran out of it (poor planning on my part). I realized I was going to run out so I started titrating downwards. The results were immediate, and unexpected. Essentially I went into 'withdrawal' (in the psch world labeled 'discontinuation syndrome'). It was very unsettling. When I finally returned to my home state I had to double my dose for a while to feel 'normal'.

October 8, 2012 10:58 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I am not really sure if this medicine is working as well as it could. I feel better since I started taking it but I still have serious manic days around my period. So much so that I am not allowed to work during those few days. I also wake up with shaky hands and my teeth chatter until the medicines kick in. When my dosage was higher (I take 600mg twice a day) I would have a half hour of being seriously high and I was unable to walk around. It would feel as if I had a really strong eyeglass prescription.

July 31, 2012 1:10 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): This medicine is wonderful. Only have problems when I can't afford to pay for it. Seems to take the edge off whenever I need it the most.

July 15, 2012 11:11 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): Trileptal changed my life. After anti-psychotics not being a good add on to my Lithium and Lamitcal because of heavy non-functional side effects/not tolerated. I searched so long and hard for something that might be able to help stabilize my mood (mostly mania). I have been taking Tripetal at a low dose of 600mg per day for 3 weeks, in addition to my current medication, and just in the first week my mood evened out, I felt normal or whatever normal probably feels like. I am now able to go into therapy and tackle some of my addiction/impulsive behavior that I did not have the capacity to do before when I was not in my right mind. I am so grateful for this medicine for my Bipolar disorder.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2012 11:32 PM

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): I'm going into my second month using Trileptal and started at 600 mg a day. My Dr just upped it to 900mg because it wasn't stabilizing my moods as much as I would like. I also take Klonopin for anxiety and the Trileptal for my bipolar. So far, no side effects like the Topamax with tingling but I'm hoping it starts working better. My Dr wants to throw in an antidepressant along with something for ADHD but wants to wait till this kicks in.

April 23, 2012 11:41 PM

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): This medication was extremely effective at stabilizing my moods. The problems that I had made it so that I could not continue on it and therefore needed to rate it so low (because of the severe side effects). First off, I literally saw double for several hours after taking it. Do you remember the Wrigley's double mint gum commercials? Well literally that's what I experienced. It DID go away after several hours afterward but was really weird and gave me a headache when it happened every morning. My skin, especially my lips, would get numb and tingly. The biggest problem though was that it gave me constipation so bad that nothing I ate or took could alleviate it. The ONLY way I could EVER go is if I took a heavy (not mild) laxative.

February 28, 2012 9:41 AM

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): I took Trileptal over 2 years ago and had horrible side effects. Started at 1500mg with no change in mood and with no side effects. Raised it to 2400 Mg (Max dosage) and was in a constant drunk/high haze all day. 20 minutes after taking it I couldn't walk in a straight line. My parents would spend an hour some mornings trying to get me to wake up. My managers wouldn't let me work cause it was too noticeable I was "high". Trileptal seems to help a lot of people so this isn't to discourage people for taking it.

January 30, 2012 7:30 PM

Review by dnb367:

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): This medicine was working well until the third week when I broke out in a rash around the upper arms, ankles and upper thighs.

November 15, 2011 3:13 PM

Review by MirandaPanda:

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): I've been taking Trileptal for bipolar disorder for years. I switched from Depakote as it made my hair fall out and I hated the monthly blood tests. I take a large dose of Trileptal, 2100mg/day and shortly after taking it I may have some short-lived side effects (tingling in my face, mild double vision and sleepiness) for about a 1/2 hour. My doctor says I might avoid these if I'd split it into morning and evening doses but I have no doubt I'd forget the morning dose regularly. Trileptal has been very good to me! I still take a low dose birth control (Norethindrone 0.35mg/day) to help with "monthly" ups and downs and we've added Lamictal for it's antidepressant effects (I found out anti-depressants may increase cycling). I've never felt this "Normal" before!

October 31, 2011 10:42 AM

Review by Can't live without trileptal:

My file says I have post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), bipolar, borderline personality disorder, severe depression and anxiety and some other crap. I don't completely agree with my file but I do know that I was completely miserable all my life until being on Trileptal for a while then adding Abilify to the mix. I've tried countless psyche medicines and none of them were a good experience until Trileptal. Trileptal worked so good for me that after a while I thought I was "cured", so I stopped taking it. Once it wore off I realized the hard way that Trileptal is like a miracle for me and I can not live without it. If it doesn't work for you, remember to keep trying until you find something that does; it took more than 10 years trial and error to find what works for me.

September 10, 2011 2:40 AM

Review by underdog:

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): I have been on Trileptal for a little over a year. I was taking 1200mg/day. On the flipside, the symptoms of dizziness and double vision I had about an hour after I took the medicine I just dealt with because the medicine worked so great in stabilizing my moods. These two side effects never lessened. I am Bipolar 1 with one major depressive episode. I also take Welbutrin. I am being taken off the medicine slowly due to acute hyponatremia which hospitalized me for 3 days. I took Tegretol prior to the Trileptal. I loved the Tegretol but wanted to change because there were less potential side effects with the Trileptal which is now very ironic. I will be starting Lamictal when the Trileptal is completely out of my system.

September 7, 2011 10:17 AM

Review by Disenchanted:

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): I wish I could echo all the positive stories mentioned in this string of comments but...I have had some inconvenient side effects including: double vision, fatigue (even with regular exercise, somewhat healthy diet, and a healthy amount of sleep each night) and major hostility, particularly with those close to me. Maybe my dosage isn't right but I am not sure I want to stick with it. I take it in addition to a fairly low dose of Lamictal.

September 1, 2011 10:48 AM

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): I've been on Depakote, Lithium and now Trileptal. Trileptal has given me absolutely no side effects, no weight gain and it controls my mood. I was bumping into walls, throwing up, feeling like I was high and eating everything in sight on Depakote. I gained so much weight. On Lithium, I did well, but couldn't deal with the gastrointestinal issues, as well as urinating every other hour, and being thirsty all the time. Nothing quenched my thirst. This medicine is like taking a vitamin and it has stabilized my moods for almost 5 years now.

July 1, 2011 7:06 AM