User Reviews for Remeron

Learn more about Remeron.

Remeron review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Remeron to treat Depression

Review by Sebbyboy (taken for less than 1 month):

My main problem is a pretty bad insomnia / anxiety. I tried several natural products over the last 3 years (melatonine, Valerian root, Tea, GABA, Magnesium etc...) as well as using good sleeping habits. I just couldn't support the lack of sleep anymore (hundreds of night without sleeping in the last year) so my GP prescribed me with Zoplicone & Trazodone. It didn't work and my anxiety went pretty bad. I finally pushed my GP to prescribe Remeron. After one week I regained my sleeping cycle at 15mg. Little to no side effects for me except I feel a bit sleepy until 10AM. Really mild anti-depressant, far from SSRI really bad side & withdrawal effects. Try it without fear.

May 5, 2014 10:31 AM

Review by Mike VT (taken for 10 years or more):

No sexual side effects as with SSRI's.

March 21, 2014 2:22 PM

Review by hippy bill:

After trying these for about 5 week's had to go back to Dr to change. I felt worse than I'd ever felt in my life I was so angry all the time for no reason, I cried more than I did before medicines for the first time ever I was thinking about suicide. It also gave me a massive appetite gained about ten pounds, which I didn't need so these definitely do not work for me fingers crossed my new ones will.

March 18, 2014 8:58 AM

Review by Little Momma (taken for less than 1 month):

Caused restless leg syndrome.

March 12, 2014 6:01 PM

Review by Carmen810 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Love it. Been prescribed it for 3 months. Works great and makes me feel more happier and also improves my sleep

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2014 12:49 AM

Review by kmllml (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on Remeron since last April. Wonderful!! Nothing else worked..tried everything in the past 4 years. Gained 20 pounds but was so happy to feel better until my blood work showed a high increase in my cholesterol which is stated in info so check yours out. I am now trying Paxil but if does not work will have to go back on Remeron and a Cholesterol pill which I am not happy about but the good out weighs the bad. Anyone else have this problem....

February 1, 2014 10:13 AM

Review by RC11234 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had been taking Remeron for about 6 months. I am 23 years of age and have had sleep problems my whole life. For 6 months my life was great. Everything seemed just perfect. 2 months ago I decided to stop taking it cold turkey. BAD idea. Within the last month the side effects began to kick in. Extreme anxiety, anger, sleeplessness, overall feeling of worthlessness came upon me. It was absolutely terrible! Today my doctor put me back on the medicine and tonight I'll be taking it again. I am so excited to see what lies ahead. If you take Remeron PLEASE do not quit taking it cold turkey on your own. Seek a doctors advice.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2013 10:38 PM

Review by cornix:

Constantly hungry so gained a lot of weight.

December 13, 2013 5:41 PM

Review by Anne1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

No effect on mood or anxiety, did help with sleep though. Gained 22 lbs over 3 or 4 months, which really made me depressed! Slowly tapered off on my own, am now losing the weight and just started Celexa. Can already feel a difference in anxiety level, am amazed.

October 16, 2013 8:43 PM

Review by Lynne1955:

I started taking Remeron about 2 weeks ago. I feel better, less depressed, but I am experiencing a different side effect than what is listed. My tongue feels numb and I can't taste anything very well. Everything has the same taste. I called the advice nurse. She talked with the doctor and I was advised to keep taking it until my appointment next week. I am going to wait to see the doctor before I report this to the FDA.

October 14, 2013 7:45 PM

Review by Jen4sure777696 (taken for less than 1 month):

I am taking this medicine now and I am happy with it. I felt like a zombie the first few days but today is the start of week two and I am feeling great.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2013 11:36 PM

Review by ixzlazuzuixz (taken for less than 1 month):

This medication has worked great for me. I was feeling pretty well with Prozac, but had to switch doses from 20mg to 40mg. The main reason I got off Prozac was because I had NO appetite and lost 17 lbs which, in my case, was a bad thing since I was already skinny and wanted to bulk up. I switched to Remeron, which not only made me feel better mood wise, but increased my appetite and helped me sleep great! It's a 3-in-1 drug for me. It also helped a bit for my anxiety. Only have been taking it for about three weeks so I hope my mood, sleep, anxiety, and appetite stay this way.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 6, 2013 12:24 AM

Review by eddiekilby (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Thay gave me Remeron in the hospital. I took it for two and half years. It worked wonders for me I have no luck at all with SSRI'S. My doctor told me usually people that have no luck with SSRI'S usually have good luck with tetracyclic antidepressants. The only drawback is I gained 85 Lbs, which needless to say did not help my self image. I'm considering Ludiomil (maprotiline).

August 29, 2013 1:30 PM

Review by Betty gd (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been taking 3 mg 1/2 hour before bed for about a month. The first night I took it I woke up in the middle of the night incredibly thirsty, went to get a drink and lost all coordination. My husband found me whining on the floor, sweating profusely, burning with fever. He had to carry me to bed. By the time he decided to take me to the ER I was cool as a cucumber and sleeping like a baby. I decided to stick with it and try again. (no luck with SSRIs for relief from moderate/severe depression & anxiety and insomnia) I slept the entire next day, took the 30mg pill again and had no similar episode. Very gradually the sleepiness has waned along with symptoms. Am optimistic, though I do need to resist over eating, as have gained 5 lbs.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2013 12:06 PM

Review by scarlett88:

I have been prescribed Remeron for about 8 months now and It is a miracle. it not only help me put on weight when I needed to because I have lost so much from all the anxiety it also gave me an amazing night sleep every night yeah it does give you some crazy dreams sometimes and you might gain a few pounds but your quality of life is so much better I was so happy the next day when I woke up I finally felt like I figured it out I say yes to the REMeron CYcle

August 1, 2013 9:16 PM

Review by debbie moats (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Its helped me with sleep and a bit with my depression. Over the years they have upped my dose to 45 milligrams. It hasn't helped me a bit with my anxiety. Actually if you wake up at night your body is asleep and your mind is going. Which makes it hard to walk. This has just started happening to me, so I think I may need to increase to 60 milligrams. I believe 60 is the max. Wondering if I'm building up a tolerance to it. I have been taking this medication for 4 plus years. I was also told that it was an appetite stimulant and it didn't do anything for me there either. This medication did not mess with my head or make me feel groggy in the morning. I would give this medication a chance before all other antidepressants.

July 25, 2013 10:32 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on Remeron for a little over a year for depression, anxiety and insomnia. It has helped quite a bit in all areas. I have had a bit of weight gain (approx 10 lbs) but it is starting to come off slowly. It is a small price to pay for feeling all around better, especially being able to get a decent nights rest.

July 24, 2013 8:03 PM

Review by ceremebol (taken for less than 1 month):

Only been taking Remeron for anxiety, for a week at 15mg. I forgot to take it at night, so my days were a type of groggy I've never experienced before. Strange but not unpleasant. It gives me tremors and cravings, but my anxiety just vanished. I lowered the dose to 7.5mg due to it being strong on the sedative side. I also have depression so I look forward to combating that, now that my anxiety is under control.

June 25, 2013 1:39 AM

Review by Gorillafuzz:

I'm a 43 year old woman and I've been on 30mg Remeron for over 10 years now, it was prescribed for major depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I was NOT sleeping at all, when I first started taking it I was a walking zombi for about 2-3 months (got some much needed sleep) however after that it's like someone opened a window in a dark room. I was feeling 80% normal (prior to taking it I was in the negative) I'll take 80% any day. You should take it an hour or so before bed time because it has a huge sedative effect and take care in the beginning because its potent to begin with. It takes time for it to start really working so don't be put off by the zombi state, it does go away.

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2013 1:52 PM

Review by Kimi B.:

I have ADHD, OCD, and depression. The moment I took this medication my intrusive thoughts from OCD went away. I am no longer depressed, even when life should be getting me down. Everything seems bearable. I just feel like things are okay, I can make it. I've never felt like this before, really. Most of the time I get overwhelmed with life but I think this medication has pulled me out of the dark hole I was in before. It does make me very hungry and sleepy, I take it in the evenings. It's hard to get up in the morning but coffee fixes that for me. I don't recommend this to someone who can not control their eating habits and gains weight easily.

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2013 9:11 AM

Review by ralphs123 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started at Remeron 15mg per day. I started to feel somewhat better at two weeks. Went to 30mg at that point. At 30mg for one week or so, felt appreciably better. I've gained a few pounds (about 4) so that's not too bad. Did not help with sleep. Plagued by insomnia for 3-4 days after starting and/or changing dose. A bit of muddied thinking for a few days after changing dosage. I have severe MDD. I think Remeron will really help. Off to a good start. I especially appreciate the lack of sexual side effects.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2012 2:31 PM

Review by mquincy89 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Mirtazapine has helped me on more than one occasion. I've cycled through the gamut of antidepressants including but not limited to: Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, etc., but nothing really worked until Remeron. Thought I was okay to stop all medicines a year ago and did fine for awhile but now feeling awful again; depressed and underweight. Renewed my script today and taking my first dose of R.E.M.eron tonight. Bring on the munchies! I just love a donut.

December 19, 2012 12:15 AM

Took Remeron/mirtazapine few years ago for about one week & gained about 15 (unwanted pounds). I just ate and slept so I stopped after a week! Was taking it first thing in the morning at the time but this doc said take at night. I need the appetite stimulation now so I'm prescribed it again. Don't know if I could handle the ravenous, uncontrollable appetite it gives though and don't remember the effect on my depression as I was too consumed with eating.

December 16, 2012 1:36 PM

Review by freespirit-j (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Remeron helped very much initially. After trying a host of other depression meds, this one seemed to work and had minimal side effects after the first week. However, at a low dose it stopped doing the job and have had to go up twice to the max dose of 45 mg. I no longer sleep well, and have had HUGE weight gain and ended up with diabetes. I plan to gradually wean myself off and treat the depression with natural means--exercise, diet, supplements.

November 3, 2012 9:33 PM

I have been on Remeron for 3 years now and it's the best antidepressant I've ever been on. I have tried Prozac, Celexa, Wellbutrin, and Effexor. Remeron is the only one that made me happy to be alive. I did gain about 3 pounds but then was feeling so good I decided to become a vegan and improve my physical health, which before I could have cared less about. So now I've lost the pounds. Plus, a few pounds is definitely worth the improvement in mood and sleep. I have found it's really important how much I take and at what time. I did get restless leg syndrome which made it hard to sleep so I tried breaking up my 30 mg pill and taking 1/2 at 7:30 and 1/2 at 9:00 pm. That wasn't helping my mood/For best results, I take 30 mg at 6:00 pm and go to bed at 9:00.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2012 7:42 PM