User Reviews for Remeron

Learn more about Remeron.

Remeron Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Remeron to treat Depression

"Remeron was a wonder drug for me the first month of taking it. First week - felt so happy, was eating like a pig (I'm underweight so that was amazing to see me gain so much in a week) I slept like a baby the first night and all the rest of the time I was on it. I would knock out at like 11 when I'd usually fall asleep at like 4 or 5. then the second month came around.. not sure if it was something else but I started experiencing intrusive thoughts and my OCD started kicking in A LOT. my doc took me off and now I'm spiraling down again. not sure if it was the med.. but this med worked well for awhile!"

BringOnTheRain July 5, 2015

"I've been taking remeron for a few weeks, doctor prescribed it for major anxiety and sleeplessness, as well as depression. He also thought it would help with weight gain, which I needed. Has helped with everything but the depression. Anxiety has mostly subsided to the point where I'm not paralyzed. Have gained about 5 lbs in the past two weeks, and my sleep is uninterrupted. Was very groggy in the morning at first until 10 or 11 am but that's gotten slightly better over time. Depression has not subsided, considering asking for something else to help with that."

big_p (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2015

"The first time my doctor prescribed this medication I ate 2 whole large pizzas a family size Lasagna, 2 sandwiches and some desserts all in one sitting. The day after I decided to get off of it. I then realized I couldn't sleep very well and I had some depression which otherwise at the time nothing else was helping me cope with besides my Buspar/Klonopin. Thus I continued my dosage of 15mg (it is true at least for me the lower dosage is higher sedating) of the medication and once I figured out a way of controlling the 1-2 hour boost of what seemed an infinite metabolism. I felt awesome if only for a short while then and immediate beauty sleep followed. Definitely recommend this to anyone with sleep problems."

Pops91 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2015

"I'm in recovery from substance abuse for years and this is the first thing that has really worked for me."

Double M (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2015

"Doctor prescribed me Remeron, I've been taking 15mg for about a month now. I've noticed an increase in hunger and I get great sleep with this medication. However it hasn't helped with my anxiety attacks or depression. I also noticed that I'm becoming more and more forgetful, often find myself staring at nothing in a daze, and hard to articulate what I'm thinking or feeling."

amoretti April 10, 2015

"Took for the first time last night slept perfect. Did wake up groggy for the first 2 hours, small price to pay. I have been on over ten different meds and this by far works wonders."

dvrs (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2015

"I've been taking this medication for approximately 3 years now. For all who are upset with the weight gain and sleepiness, it doesn't last forever. I think I gained about 10-15 lbs in my first few months, but I've managed to lose it all. Now I am only sleepy right after I take it (at bedtime) and I wake up feeling rested without the hangover. It's definitely levelled off my depression, and I feel normal. If you can get past the first few weeks, this medication is a life saver. I truly forgot that this medication even has side effects, since I've been on it so long. Also, I tried the SSRI/SNRI route first. On Zoloft, I would've made a great cast member for the Walking Dead. I've never felt more like a zombie. Remeron is the best!"

marcy630 April 4, 2015

"I didn't experience a crazy increase in appetite, however I did gain motivation that I previously didn't have to go to the gym and lift weights which helped me put my weight back on. Side effects for me included slight numbness of the tongue and I feel like I mumble a lot because of that. Side effects do not bother me due to the fact that I feel so much better because of the medicine."

SmoothSailings January 5, 2015

"I have suffered from severe disabling anxiety and depression for over a year now. I'm a paramedic, and father of 2 children and it greatly affected by ability to work, or even go to work and also my ability to enjoy my children when I had them. Lost 30-40lbs. After trying every SSRI on the market for 4 weeks and finally developing suicidal thoughts I checked myself in to a hospital. Within 4 days of starting Rememron- depression was completely relieved. Still have anxiety at times, no panic attacks. VERY FEW SIDE EFFECTS. Had sweating the first 2 days, that's it. GREAT MEDICINE FOR ME!!!!!!! I'm eating again and feeling great!"

Medic14 (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2014

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Probably the best antidepressant I've taken in terms of overall effect and side effects (minimal side effects). Also, I noted the improvement in days, vs weeks for SSRI/SNRI's. It's not like being hit by a dose of Ritalin but just was a general sense of wanting to get back in the game, feeling ok, but not "locked in" - still have a good range of emotions."

AnonAnonAnon (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2014

157 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have several issues and was given Remeron along with Seroquel and Tegretol, I take it at night and I sleep now, its pretty amazing but I'm so tired after taking it that I can't keep my eyes open no matter what. In the 3 weeks I have been on it I have gained 3lbs which is awesome for me. I hope the sleepiness dies down some as it is a bit strong for me, but overall this is a great medicine."

muninn42 (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My main problem is a pretty bad insomnia / anxiety. I tried several natural products over the last 3 years (melatonine, Valerian root, Tea, GABA, Magnesium etc...) as well as using good sleeping habits. I just couldn't support the lack of sleep anymore (hundreds of night without sleeping in the last year) so my GP prescribed me with Zoplicone & Trazodone. It didn't work and my anxiety went pretty bad. I finally pushed my GP to prescribe Remeron. After one week I regained my sleeping cycle at 15mg. Little to no side effects for me except I feel a bit sleepy until 10AM. Really mild anti-depressant, far from SSRI really bad side & withdrawal effects. Try it without fear."

Sebbyboy (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2014

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"No sexual side effects as with SSRI's."

Mike VT (taken for 10 years or more) March 21, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After trying these for about 5 week's had to go back to Dr to change. I felt worse than I'd ever felt in my life I was so angry all the time for no reason, I cried more than I did before medicines for the first time ever I was thinking about suicide. It also gave me a massive appetite gained about ten pounds, which I didn't need so these definitely do not work for me fingers crossed my new ones will."

hippy bill March 18, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Caused restless leg syndrome."

Little Momma (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2014

"Love it. Been prescribed it for 3 months. Works great and makes me feel more happier and also improves my sleep"

Carmen810 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2014

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Remeron since last April. Wonderful!! Nothing else worked..tried everything in the past 4 years. Gained 20 pounds but was so happy to feel better until my blood work showed a high increase in my cholesterol which is stated in info so check yours out. I am now trying Paxil but if does not work will have to go back on Remeron and a Cholesterol pill which I am not happy about but the good out weighs the bad. Anyone else have this problem...."

kmllml (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 1, 2014

"I had been taking Remeron for about 6 months. I am 23 years of age and have had sleep problems my whole life. For 6 months my life was great. Everything seemed just perfect. 2 months ago I decided to stop taking it cold turkey. BAD idea. Within the last month the side effects began to kick in. Extreme anxiety, anger, sleeplessness, overall feeling of worthlessness came upon me. It was absolutely terrible! Today my doctor put me back on the medicine and tonight I'll be taking it again. I am so excited to see what lies ahead. If you take Remeron PLEASE do not quit taking it cold turkey on your own. Seek a doctors advice."

RC11234 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2013

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Constantly hungry so gained a lot of weight."

cornix December 13, 2013

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"No effect on mood or anxiety, did help with sleep though. Gained 22 lbs over 3 or 4 months, which really made me depressed! Slowly tapered off on my own, am now losing the weight and just started Celexa. Can already feel a difference in anxiety level, am amazed."

Anne1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Remeron about 2 weeks ago. I feel better, less depressed, but I am experiencing a different side effect than what is listed. My tongue feels numb and I can't taste anything very well. Everything has the same taste. I called the advice nurse. She talked with the doctor and I was advised to keep taking it until my appointment next week. I am going to wait to see the doctor before I report this to the FDA."

Lynne1955 October 14, 2013

"I am taking this medicine now and I am happy with it. I felt like a zombie the first few days but today is the start of week two and I am feeling great."

Jen4sure777696 (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2013

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication has worked great for me. I was feeling pretty well with Prozac, but had to switch doses from 20mg to 40mg. The main reason I got off Prozac was because I had NO appetite and lost 17 lbs which, in my case, was a bad thing since I was already skinny and wanted to bulk up. I switched to Remeron, which not only made me feel better mood wise, but increased my appetite and helped me sleep great! It's a 3-in-1 drug for me. It also helped a bit for my anxiety. Only have been taking it for about three weeks so I hope my mood, sleep, anxiety, and appetite stay this way."

ixzlazuzuixz (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2013

"Thay gave me Remeron in the hospital. I took it for two and half years. It worked wonders for me I have no luck at all with SSRI'S. My doctor told me usually people that have no luck with SSRI'S usually have good luck with tetracyclic antidepressants. The only drawback is I gained 85 Lbs, which needless to say did not help my self image. I'm considering Ludiomil (maprotiline)."

eddiekilby (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking 3 mg 1/2 hour before bed for about a month. The first night I took it I woke up in the middle of the night incredibly thirsty, went to get a drink and lost all coordination. My husband found me whining on the floor, sweating profusely, burning with fever. He had to carry me to bed. By the time he decided to take me to the ER I was cool as a cucumber and sleeping like a baby. I decided to stick with it and try again. (no luck with SSRIs for relief from moderate/severe depression & anxiety and insomnia) I slept the entire next day, took the 30mg pill again and had no similar episode. Very gradually the sleepiness has waned along with symptoms. Am optimistic, though I do need to resist over eating, as have gained 5 lbs."

Betty gd (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next