User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia

"Prescribed mirtazapine 30 mg for insomnia. First night I fell asleep in 20 minutes. "Slept" all night, not a "good nights sleep." Had strange dreams. Woke up but couldn't open eyes. No energy, hard to get out of bed, slurred speech, couldn't walk straight. Didn't leave couch all day. At 2 am (2nd night) took 15mg, asleep in 20 minutes. Dog woke me up at 8:30 am, could barely get up, couldn't walk straight, dropped & broke dish(never do that), stumbled back to bed, had a very tiring dream. Woke up at 12:30 pm, can't get up, can't open eyes. Its 4:34 pm and I'm still on couch. Feel like a zombie, no energy, feeling mood swings and more depressed. No way I could drive car. Will try 7.5 mg tonight. My last attempt with this medicine."

sleepdeprived57 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2016

"I have experienced sleep problems for 10 years, lost both parents , have a very busy life, house to run , full time physical job I was a complete wreck, worn out physically, to the point I couldn't function speak even to people. I dreaded going to bed & sat up all night trying everything to get to sleep, I had to be up for work 5.30 driving on motorways felt like a zombie. These tablets are my life saver I've got my spark back no side effects only aches in my joints that's nothing to me I feel human again no weight gain which is fantastic. I was scared of the weight gain, but I have been fine . Don't be scared of trying them they're a saviour."

Dopey blonde (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2016

"This has changed my life. I have long term insomnia with night terrors and a major depressive disorder. The first night I slept like the dead, I did find for a couple of weeks that I was tired during the day also, but that has now faded. I still sleep well most nights, and it's natural sleep, I don't feel like I've been drugged. My moods have significantly improved too, everything has become more tolerable and easier to handle. My lowest moods are nowhere near as low, and my good moods are better than they've been in years. I do find my appetite has increased, but as someone who has struggled all my life to gain weight it's not really an issue."

MrPepper January 3, 2016

"Prescribed mirtazine 10mg for depression & insomnia. Not a good sleeper at the best of times. 1st night slept ok, well better than I had. Maybe just a couple of hrs but any sleeps better than none. Since then, the odd night a bit of sleep but nothing significant. Don't really feel any benefit as of yet but only been on it for a wk & half. Keeping fingers xd it starts to lift my mood & kicks in to help me sleep better. Thinking of taking valerion or kalms alongside it. Hoping this is ok"

toff33willow December 4, 2015

"I saw all the positive reviews for insomnia and I convinced my doctor to prescribe it, with big hope. First day made me really relaxed , and thought thats it, works, I am going to sleep well probably but then after 2 hours I was awake and had to take another sleeping pill. Day 4 no improvement in sleep, no side effects or whatsoever. I still have some hope, and I will stick with it for some time to see what happens. Good thing is no side effects"

Anxiousman91 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2015

"This medication has helped me to sleep well pretty much every night. It does make weight loss harder, I guess. At first I felt dopey during the day and had dry eyes and mouth, but I no longer notice those side effects. All in all, it's helped me a lot."

MarchWinds (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2015

"I've suffered from insomnia my whole life. Even my parents said I would barely sleep as a baby. I'm 23. I've been on trazadone which is practically a sugar pill to me. Visteril which made it hard to wake up in the morning, and left me with a hangover feeling. And lunesta. Which did work but I'm an addict and I started abusing it badly. Remeron is great. It makes me fall asleep fast. It feels natural I get tired not tranquilized. I get a deep sleep also. I recommend it. It changed my life"

insomniac_since_92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2015

"I'm in UK. I've taken Mirtazapine for 3 nights & so far it has had no effect on my insomnia. It has perhaps made it worse as 2 of those nights I couldn't lie still but was fidgety & restless. I end up taking a temazepam, otherwise I literally lie wide awake all night. But I can't do this indefinitely as docs at my practice just refuse to give scrips for temazepam & other benzodiazepines, even though I have never abused these drugs. I don't want to lower the dose as main reason for taking Mirtazipine is my chronic anxiety, which I'm still hoping this med will help. Apart from the restlessness at night there have so far been no side effects. Felt a bit spaced out yesterday but nothing serious. But wish could night get good nights sleep."

Sleepless in UK October 8, 2015

"I took Remeron for the first time last night and it worked like a dream. I take Effexor for depression and it gives me complete insomnia. I have tried about every sleep aid out there and either couldn't deal with the side effects or the med just stopped working. I was prescribed 15mg of Remeron to take at bedtime, I took half of that based on the reviews I read here. I fell asleep in a reasonable amount of time, I may have rolled over a couple of times in the middle of the night but I actually SLEPT for most of the night. This is the first time in a month I can say I got restorative sleep. I was just a little hungover this morning but nothing I couldn't deal. I think this medication is going to be my lifesaver."

notlookingback September 30, 2015

"Had panic attacks and depression, loss of appetite, and trouble sleeping with restoril and other sleep aids. The Remeron works OK, after a few intial nights of being wide awake for 2-3 hours after bedtime. Now, on 15 mg and it seems I can fall asleep within 60-90 minutes, but wake up after 2-3 hours. However I can fall back asleep easily. I have no complaints, but I usually get the weirdest dreams - nothing catastrophic, but just plain unreal. It is just where my brain gets this from is a mystery. I can't imagine where my brain dreams up (no pun intended) these situations. I've even tried cutting the 15mg in half which seems to work as well as 15mg."

titanicirv (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2015

"I have suffered from insomnia for many years. This med helps, sometimes I still wakeup in the middle of the night. I usually fall back to sleep 3 to 4 hrs later. My migraines have gotten better and overall I like this med."

lucy lue1958 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 20, 2015

"The first time I took a 30mg tablet I slept 16 hours and it was heavenly."

Cagney (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 5, 2015

"I was given 15 mg caplets and told to cut them in half.. 7.5 mg the 1st night. Slept well but a little groggy the next day. Didn't get much accomplished. 2nd night same dose and the next day was a total loss. Just sat in my chair all day. No energy or drive. Then I tried to further the dose by cutting 15 mg into 7.5 mg into 3.75 mg. That's next to impossible due to the shape of the half tab. One night you get decent dose and the next you get the smaller quarter and it doesn't work. Too bad hey don't come in 10 mg tabs. For me, a big guy, with lots of body mass 3.5 mg would be a good dose but it's impossible to get with any accuracy."

Philsy August 2, 2015

"Have suffered insomnia and anxiety for 15 years. Slept 6 to 12 hours per week. SSRI's ineffective. Would visit Dr every 2 to 3 months and beg for 4 sleeping tablets, (I'm a brit) cos I was dizzy and almost crying with exhaustion. A new GP prescribed Mirtazipine and I have slept min 6 hours each night from the start. Feel fantastic. Colleagues notice difference, house is clean, bags of energy. PS no more horrible dreams either"

Happyscotsman August 2, 2015

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have tried so many things for my insomnia and evening panic attacks. This one works wonders. No more panic attacks at night. No more lying awake for hours."

Oohyayathrowaway July 27, 2015

"I have found Mirtazapine to be a very safe drug with almost no side effects! I not not only had depression, but couldn't eat or sleep. My psychiatrist is excellent. It has been a delicate issue because I was still on 25 nortriptyline. Finally, I've been on both for a few weeks. I do hope that my doctor will eventually have me only on Mertazapine & no nortriptyline."

Tellita July 24, 2015

"I have never been able to sleep more than 6 hrs. even when I was young. As I aged I began having trouble sleeping more than 3 hrs at a whack. My doctor prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg. at bedtime. It has changed my life! I sleep a full 5 to 7 hours most every night. I actually feel normal. I have tried various anti depressants for the last 25 yrs, Effexor works best for me."

thetaz July 13, 2015

"My shrink gave me this med almost 2 years ago and for me, it has helped a great deal with my insomnia. i take a 30mg at bedtime and 9 times at of 10, i am asleep within 90 minutes. I thank my shink everytime i see him"

JOEPAL64 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2015

"I have been taking Matazapine for just over 2 years now. I have a fear of dieing in my sleep so never really relaxed when I had to go to sleep and would be up all night. When I started taking them I was on out like a light I couldn't keep my eyes open and they really helped me sleep real quick. 2 years on they still help me sleep not to the point I am struggling to keep my eyes open but to a more natural state which is what I liked about them as they help your body adjust over time. I am now on 30mg and when I take them it relaxes me to help me go to sleep naturally with out thinking about it. I recommend this to any one who struggles with insomnia/ death fear like I did. It's worth trying to get yourself back on track with your sleep."

RetroDolly (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took 7.5 mg and it worked. Had a great nights sleep. Felt very very tired and sluggish all day. Have read multiple reviews that say this should subside. I will cut the 7.5 in half for tonight to see if I can get the sleeping results without the exhaustion the next day. I don't take any mess more than I absolutely have to."

Still Searching 72 1/2 (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2015

"This drug works FAST. I'm 14 years old and have been having sleeping problems when I'm tossing and turning and can't fall asleep, anxiety where I can't even go in the car, eating and weight problems (loss of appetite), depression which is taking over my life making me suicidal and PTSD and OCD. My doc first prescribed Zoloft, didn't do me any good just made me feel so much sicker with its horrible side effects and make me feel more suicidal and hopeless so I stopped, but my Doc then prescribed me this Remeron. first night? out like a light in 30 mins. woke up the next morning feeling refreshed. started eating breakfast, went from 82 lbs to 89 in a week (good news for me). If anyone as a teen has my symptoms consider remeron!!"

fastestchachi May 9, 2015

"I started taking mirtazapine on the advice of my psychiatrist 5 months ago, in October of 2014! The doctor suggested this because of my panic disorder my general anxiety and my insomnia! I was on paxil and celexa years ago, but I find mirtazapine better in the sense that it has less side effects and feels almost like I'm taking nothing at all! There is no apathy no drugged feeling like SSRI can cause! I must mention that it took me about 4 weeks to feel clear headed taking mirtazapine! First 4-6 weeks I did feel zombied, but better then the zombie feeling one gets from poor sleep! There are also zero sexual side effects! Only problem I experienced is i gained 7 lbs in the 5 months but the weight gain stopped, I work out and it stopped the weight gain"

Izn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015

"I have been on mirtazapine for just over a month, like others here I had trouble sleeping only a few hours a night, this became unbearable and I couldn't function in my work or daily life, I was tearful and miserable. I went to my doc explained the situation, I didn't want antidepressants as tried them before with dreadful side effects. Long story short I relented and thought I'd try mirtazapine for a week, I'm now into my 5th week and sleep well most nights, a few night sweats and some weird dreams but I'm starting to feel human again."

Oscar1969 March 24, 2015

"Mirtazapine has been a life saver for me. I have had trouble falling asleep on and off over the last two and a half years mainly because I've been unhappy at work. Just recently I was on zolpidem for 2 months and then switched to mirtazapine when I realised my sleep problems weren't going to get better in the short term. A couple of years ago things were so bad that sleeping tablets didn't even work and mirtazapine was the only medication that got me to sleep. I function normally after about the first 8 days on adjusting to this tablet - day 1 I feel like a zombie but by day 3 I start to feel less like that. Just stick with it for a few days and you will adjust, is my advice. The dosage I take is 30mg or 45mg."

AJMs March 14, 2015

Remeron (mirtazapine): "Cannot sleep on Remeron"

boonking12 March 11, 2015