User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 75 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia

Review by Max M:

I have been using Remeron for sleep on and off for a couple of years. This is the only non-habit forming one I know of that really works. I take a tiny dose-- about 2 mg, or 1/8th of a 15 mg tablet (which is tricky to do with a pill cutter). Best results if I take it an hour or two before bedtime. Sleep quality usually very good. Only side effect is minor grogginess, which is nothing compared to what happens with insomnia. I recommend it very highly. Too bad it's not better known in the medical community.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 9:37 AM

Review by Brida:

I became extremely suicidal. Just starting to get better now with Wellbutrin. Be careful.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by brett352 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Mirtazapine can work wonders for anyone struggling with insomnia, in my case caused by anxiety. Significant improvement from day 1, and has persisted for my 6 months of treatment. You'll feel like a zombie for several days, but don't let that bother you. After about a week or two, I was able to wake up at my normal time and feel good heading into work. Perhaps some benefit, although less noticeable for anxiety in general. But again, for insomnia this is a lifesaver. Went from 157 lbs to 164 but I've also been lifting weights and working out more, so no issue there. Good luck!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 7:53 PM

Review by hendrixx:

I had chronic insomnia due to massive anxiety, I'm now on mirtazapine 30mg and olanzapine 5mg. It fixed my problem from the first day. I'm now sleeping well (the only negative is at every night I see dreams), I also wake up like a normal human. My anxiety is ok but its not all gone, perhaps I need more time. So I guess 9 stars is a good rate!

June 8, 2014 12:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

It works very good for sleep as I have chronic insomnia due to severe anxiety, major depression. I didn't take it yesterday and barely slept good. What I hate is the drowsy feeling it makes during day does it go away? This pill made my birthday a fine day I made a day outside feeling OK.

May 23, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by John TA:

Most people should consider exercise and a better diet to help with sleep and also despression. Exercise can help. Also get away from the TV and computer before sleep. Mirtazapine is probably the best sleep aid I have ever used. The more expensive sleep drugs are less effective especially if you are worried and mind is racing. You can wake up groggy but it sure beats not getting any sleep. I try to not rely on it that much but it can be a Godsend. It is also very inexpensive. I usually take the 15 mg tabs and cut them into quarters. The only reason I am posting this is hopefully it will help someone with insomnia. It is highly effective.

April 22, 2014 1:09 AM

Review by Susan W. (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Started taking it for sleep and it works like a charm. Big problem? I knew I was packing on the pounds due to winter, etc., but was mortified when I went to the doctor today and got weighed. Twenty pounds in 3 months? I'm don't want to stop taking it, so I'm trying to break 15 mg. tabs in half. I can say that I will HAVE to find an alternative if that doesn't do the trick. The weight gain far outweighs any benefits I've gotten.

March 22, 2014 1:11 AM

Review by Amazed40 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was prescribed 15mg tablets to take one at night for sleep (or Doctor said 7.5mg was fine). I suffered from Anxiety (No Severe Phobias; more Obsessive Compulsive Disorder type personality), and Depression. This medicine affects your sleep feeling natural, not zombied. I sleep longer, it works better than heavy sedation medicines without being groggy, and I get through all the proper stages of sleep (I'd assume), as it has helped my depression MAJORLY & anxiety sufficient enough. I use to take Seroquel (for bedtime sleep 100mg), it zombies you and is long term very bad for your health. I tried about every SSRI & SNRI, and none seemed to help & only cause problems. I haven't felt this good in 8 years. Felt better immediately & GREAT after 2 weeks! Hope it helps you.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2014 6:25 PM

Review by Jazzy78:

Just started the tablet 15mg two days ago. Today is the 3rd day and by far the worst drowsiness I am facing. Cannot do anything in the office. As soon as I go to sleep I wake up, may be due to anxiety or side effect. Last both nights I took it at 8.00PM and went to bed at 9:00PM and at 10:PM I woke up due to severe anxiety attack. Tried couple of times and then finally went to sleep may be at 10:30PM and then woke up at 5:30 AM in the morning. After that Zombie Phase started and it never finished. Weekend is coming and want to sleep for at least 20 hours. A little better than previous in terms of anxiety and depression, I was never on medication before but was using Valium and Xanax frequently for sleep and these were working well.

February 7, 2014 2:35 AM

Review by Nuttymut (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I live in the UK and have sufferred with undiagnosed depression until I was 8 years old. Since diagnosis I've bumped along the bottom with little or no real help from my GP's. After 13 years I insisted I was referred to a sleep clinic. I was sent to a Neurologist. He put me on Mirtazapine to help me sleep. It did help greatly and I am now able to get through the day without any overwhelming need to sleep. I was kept on Cipralex whilst I went onto the Mirtazapine and could tolerate the new medication well. I have tried to come off the Cipralex but have not done too well without it. So I remain on 45mg Mirtazapine, 20mg of Cipralex and a vitamin supplemet of 400 iu's per day.

January 12, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by D Markowsky:

I've been taking 15 mg mirtazapine for about 6 months. I love it. I am finally sleeping again. Other than not feeling depressed and sleeping, I haven't noticed any side effects.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 9, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Charlotte, NC (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking "Mirtazapine" for 2 years. I was under weight with no appetite and was taking over the counter medicines to sleep. I was 40 years old weighing 89lbs before my doctor prescribe me this medicine - 2 years later I'm 111 lbs and sleep well every night. This really worked for me I would recommend this if you need to gain weight (because it makes you hungry) and if you have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep.

December 31, 2013 4:37 PM

Review by Miracle pill (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This pill gives me an appetite, helps my depression, helps my anxiety, and helps me sleep. I love it. I don't know what I would do without it to be honest, and if I need to be on one medication for the rest of my life this would be it. I have been on many pills and I'm normally really picky about side effects but this one is just great for me.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2013 1:42 AM

Review by Mathew De (taken for less than 1 month):

I have tried many SSRI's which all left me feeling nauseated and with flu-like symptoms and had given up on medication until last week, i thought i would try once more with a new med. I went to a new doctor and she prescribed me Mirtazapine. Day 1 i slept 10 hours and felt very tired the entire day, although Day 2 I woke up feeling great and cannot remember the last time i felt this good, since i have been struggling with anxiety and depression. Highly recommend this medication.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2013 8:11 AM

Review by sarah3510:

I have been taking Remeron for a year for my severe insomnia. it works great for sleep for the first 2 days for me. I now take it with melatonin and I'm able to sleep. Downside is that I gained 37 pounds on this med in a year. 8 pounds got put on in the first 12 days. I barely eat now and my weight still increases. so I have begun tapering off of this medication and will be going back to Vistaril. The Remeron isn't worth the damage to my overall health. I am a naturally skinny person who can eat anything i want and not gain. This medication affects your metabolism. It is not just increased appetite. I was a size 0-3 when I started. I'm now size 11. I would only recommend this as a temporary fix.

November 5, 2013 1:22 AM

Review by Andy14:

I was prescribed 15mg mirtazapine to help with insomnia and have been taking it for about 3 weeks. Mostly I've slept very well but am still struggling with severe grogginess and am concerned that it's negatively impacting my mood and anxiety. Trying to be patient for now and let it do its thing, since there are so many positive reviews.

October 8, 2013 10:54 PM

Review by Veteran101stAirborne:

I am happy with the sleep I'm getting on this medicine.

August 27, 2013 5:44 PM

Review by sleepybpd (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I love Remeron so far. I have been on so many sleeping pills since I began to have terrible insomnia 3 years ago. I was taking Seroquel at 50 mg but it took forever to put me to sleep and made me foggy during the day. I switched to Remeron 15 mg two months ago, and it works a lot better. It will make you hungry after you take it and you will feel foggy the first couple weeks, so tell your doc to start you off slow, maybe 7.5 mg at first. I have had a few pounds put on me but I am eating more and I stopped exercising, so that might be it. On Seroquel I tried to eat healthier and exercise and I gained 12 pounds on it anyways. Remeron works way better and helps with depression and anxiety too, it also gives me very vivid dreams.

August 25, 2013 8:05 PM

Review by Bagpuss (taken for less than 1 month):

Mirtazapine is usually used to treat depression. However I am currently taking 15mg to treat my chronic insomina. I already take sertraline 200mg per day for my depression and it appears I may need an increase in mirtazapine. I know this is a great medicine as my mum takes it to treat the depression of her bi-polar but I'm not seeing any results as yet.

June 17, 2013 7:47 PM

Review by 1980b:

I've been taking the 30 mg for about 1 year now. The 15 mg seemed to be insufficient, sadly enough for my sleeping problems. For those being worried about the weight gain: the medicine itself doesn't make you fat, but your eating habits do. If you can force yourself into a more healthy diet, then you'll find out that your body will adapt. I take Mirtazapine 30 mg for sleeping aid, and it helps. Off course everyone has once in a while a sleepless night, so don't freak out even when you take this medicine. At first I was like a walking zombie, but now I feel safe using it. It isn't addictive, my doctor told me. I know it might start to function as some kind of placebo, but I don't care about that. Good luck out there, where ever you are.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2013 1:59 PM

Review by Try-to-think-positive (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Mirtazapine helped me! A year ago I was in bad shape due to numerous work related issues. Sleepless nights, pain on the left muscle aside my chest, feeling depressed. After a few days I felt a difference and I started to feel better bit by bit. I started with 15mg, but upgraded to 30 mg which I use even until today. Taking this medicine made me realize that my lifestyle was in a worse shape. I didn't do much to relax myself and my endless thoughts kept dominating my mind at night. In combination, I'm forcing myself to eat healthy and sport as much as I can. Taking magnesium is also a daily habit. If you recognize yourself in this, try to stay optimistic. I know it's hard. You have nothing to lose.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 10, 2013 3:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started taking 15mg before bedtime about 9 months ago. It really helps me fall asleep within 45 minutes of dosage. For the first month or so my dreams were very lucid and intense, but they have subsided with time. I do not feel drowsy the next morning, but refreshed. I was unaware of the increased appetite side effect until I read more about it lately. I do believe I have experienced that but has not been a real issue. I highly endorse this medicine but would only take before bedtime. It was prescribed to me as a sleep aid so not sure why it would be taken any other time of day.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2013 4:07 AM

Review by samahine (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Remeron (mirtazapine): I have been on Remeron for 3.5 years. I started out on 15 mg and now currently on 30mg. I have tried every sleep medication available. This is by far the best medication I have ever been on for sleep. Yes I get the ravenous hunger and it takes about 2 hours to make me sleepy. An hour after I take it is when the hunger kicks in and I eat for the entire day before bed. I have gained about 30 lbs over the time being on it, but it has now tapered off, I hope! However, for me, sleep is so important, so it's a matter of what's more important, the perfect body or being so tired and depressed due to lack of sleep. If you start watching what you eat prior to bed, which I do now and wish I knew or realized this early on, you can help keep the weight.

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2013 7:56 PM

Review by Sleepless in Santa Fe (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been taking Klonopin for several years, but slowly building up a tolerance. Doc suggested trying mirtazapine. Made me very groggy the first night, and I fell asleep quickly. However, I woke several times during the night, and only ended up getting 3-4 hours of sleep (and felt very groggy the next day). I might be experiencing some withdrawal from the Klonopin). Hard to know, but sleep has only gotten worse since the first night, so will likely try something else.

February 23, 2013 9:35 PM

Review by mike 7777:

I have been taking 30mg for over 90 days now. Due to other medications I was taking for lung cancer and COPD I was lucky to get 2 hrs sleep per night. The first couple of nights was wondering why I taking it. The 3rd night slept like a baby and have ever since. The increased food intake was great for me. I had started losing weight. Have not gained any but able to hold what I had. Works great for me.

February 23, 2013 1:44 PM