User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia

"I was just reading about this lady that said she had to change medication because of drug test's at her work. Well if you have a perscription from your doctor you don't have to worry about the results of the screening. Take it from the horses mouth,,,,mine."

brooklynmann April 20, 2016

"I suffer from major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and severe insomnia. I've been taking 15 mg of this plus 100 mg of Trazadone each night, to sleep, for almost 2 years. (on top of my depression meds, which we are still playing with). The mirtazapine has been a life saver. The trazadone helps, but without this drug I only slept an hour or two at a time. with this, I generally sleep 6 hours before I wake up at all... and even then it's generally my bladder that wakes me. I don't get any of the side effects people here keep talking about (drunk feeling, inability to wake up, numbness in the mouth, excessive sleep, etc)."

Crazy and disabled redhead April 7, 2016

"Due to the stress and anxiety over my parents' ill health and my need to provide caregiving to them, I wasn't sleeping. Had restless leg syndrome as well as just plain not being able to get to sleep. My doctor prescribed Zoloft for the anxiety, and lorazepam for my insomnia, which worked perfectly but I discovered that I can't take benzodiazapines because of random drug tests at work, so he switched me to mirtazapine, 30mg at night. It worked OK for 2 months but now I'm back to where I was before. With the lorazepam I didn't dream, I slept deeply and awoke refreshed and no hangover. With the mirtazapine, it's hard now to fall asleep, and I have strange dreams. Appetite has also increased horribly which defeats my weight loss goal."

Auntie Mayhem (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2016

"I have major insomnia. I was on 300 mg of trazadone for sleep. About two months I was put on mirtazpine 30 mg. It's okay. I don't get the same nightmares as I did before. But I was also on trazadone for 4 years. It will take time getting use to mirtazpine."

Knox 1234 February 28, 2016

"So I cycle this med in and out with Ambien as a sleep aid, 1x 30mg at night. Makes your mouth numb anywhere it touches which is strange. I like it for sleep - feels much more natural than Ambien - I simply get tired about 30 minutes in but don't feel drugged. As a benefit, I've noticed that when I take it steady for about a week or more, I have much less anxiety and tend to focus better overall (ADHD like you wouldn't believe - treated w/ adderall). On the downside, there's been a few times (1 per month?) where I wake up feeling mildly drugged until 10 or so. No apparent increase in appetite. I am hallucinating that everything is made of fur though... wait, never mind. My cat is just a jerk and sheds on everything."

The Blurg! (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2016

"Prescribed 7.5 mg (half a 15 mg pill) at night for sleep. First night I accidentally took a whole 15 mg dose when I was supposed to take a half a pill. Experienced some shortness of breath at first and felt what I can best describe as being drunk for the next two days off that single dose. Stumbling and dizzy with a tiredness I have never felt I my life. It did what it promised and knocked me out, but for two days in a row. I realized I took the whole dose but was nervous to try it again. After 3 weeks of bad sleep I tried it again at the prescribed 7.50 mg and was much better. It does take time to adjust. I am now on week 4 and for the most part sleeping through the night. I did gain 7 lbs though, induces a crazy appetite."

Gilbs February 22, 2016

"Taking 7.5mg, started one month ago. I was very nervous about taking my first dose, but it's improved my quality of life dramatically. I sleep around 2hr after dosing, so I take it at about 8pm. I do experience some rather odd dreams! Which I find interesting rather than unpleasant, zero weight gain thus far. To anyone suffering from insomnia, don't be scared of this drug it feels like a very natural sleep/tiredness feeling at 7.5mg."

LAD149 February 21, 2016

"Took it for the 1st time last night for insomnia I've had for 4 months. Also have anxiety, panic and drug induced akathasia. My pdoc said give it a try. Scared of side effects, but took last night only 3.75. Went to sleep within 30 minutes but woke up probably 6-8 times between 10 and 5am. Went back to sleep every time but the last but not great sleep. Of course I've been averaging about 2 hours sleep a night so not horrible. Woke up with flu like symptoms, even feeling like pneumonia. Nervous because I have auto immune disease and there are many lymphatic side affect possibilities. Akathasia seems slightly better tonight along with the anxiety. Akathasia is hell and have seen this as an off label use (it can also cause it)."

ROYAL17 (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2016

"THIS DRUG SHOULD BE BANNED..... I started on 7.5mg and the longest I slept was 32 hours, I literally thought I was going insane until reading everyone else's comments. If you want to be fat and sleep constantly this is the drug for you. Oh and not forgetting the feeling like a zombie 24/7. Well my doctor has put me up to 15mg this week and I'm on my 7th day. I've been on a lot of antidepressants but nothing as vile as this, the symptoms are a horrible taste in your mouth, cloudy brain, can't think properly, scared to go out tired,achy and just feeling like a freak lol I had the most worst rage ever yesterday and didn't feel right very aggressive I'm going to come off these asap but my fear is the independence....."

mich123 February 12, 2016

"Prescribed mirtazapine 30 mg for insomnia. First night I fell asleep in 20 minutes. "Slept" all night, not a "good nights sleep." Had strange dreams. Woke up but couldn't open eyes. No energy, hard to get out of bed, slurred speech, couldn't walk straight. Didn't leave couch all day. At 2 am (2nd night) took 15mg, asleep in 20 minutes. Dog woke me up at 8:30 am, could barely get up, couldn't walk straight, dropped & broke dish(never do that), stumbled back to bed, had a very tiring dream. Woke up at 12:30 pm, can't get up, can't open eyes. Its 4:34 pm and I'm still on couch. Feel like a zombie, no energy, feeling mood swings and more depressed. No way I could drive car. Will try 7.5 mg tonight. My last attempt with this medicine."

sleepdeprived57 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2016

"I have experienced sleep problems for 10 years, lost both parents , have a very busy life, house to run , full time physical job I was a complete wreck, worn out physically, to the point I couldn't function speak even to people. I dreaded going to bed & sat up all night trying everything to get to sleep, I had to be up for work 5.30 driving on motorways felt like a zombie. These tablets are my life saver I've got my spark back no side effects only aches in my joints that's nothing to me I feel human again no weight gain which is fantastic. I was scared of the weight gain, but I have been fine . Don't be scared of trying them they're a saviour."

Dopey blonde (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2016

"This has changed my life. I have long term insomnia with night terrors and a major depressive disorder. The first night I slept like the dead, I did find for a couple of weeks that I was tired during the day also, but that has now faded. I still sleep well most nights, and it's natural sleep, I don't feel like I've been drugged. My moods have significantly improved too, everything has become more tolerable and easier to handle. My lowest moods are nowhere near as low, and my good moods are better than they've been in years. I do find my appetite has increased, but as someone who has struggled all my life to gain weight it's not really an issue."

MrPepper January 3, 2016

"Prescribed mirtazine 10mg for depression & insomnia. Not a good sleeper at the best of times. 1st night slept ok, well better than I had. Maybe just a couple of hrs but any sleeps better than none. Since then, the odd night a bit of sleep but nothing significant. Don't really feel any benefit as of yet but only been on it for a wk & half. Keeping fingers xd it starts to lift my mood & kicks in to help me sleep better. Thinking of taking valerion or kalms alongside it. Hoping this is ok"

toff33willow December 4, 2015

"I saw all the positive reviews for insomnia and I convinced my doctor to prescribe it, with big hope. First day made me really relaxed , and thought thats it, works, I am going to sleep well probably but then after 2 hours I was awake and had to take another sleeping pill. Day 4 no improvement in sleep, no side effects or whatsoever. I still have some hope, and I will stick with it for some time to see what happens. Good thing is no side effects"

Anxiousman91 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2015

"This medication has helped me to sleep well pretty much every night. It does make weight loss harder, I guess. At first I felt dopey during the day and had dry eyes and mouth, but I no longer notice those side effects. All in all, it's helped me a lot."

MarchWinds (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2015

"I've suffered from insomnia my whole life. Even my parents said I would barely sleep as a baby. I'm 23. I've been on trazadone which is practically a sugar pill to me. Visteril which made it hard to wake up in the morning, and left me with a hangover feeling. And lunesta. Which did work but I'm an addict and I started abusing it badly. Remeron is great. It makes me fall asleep fast. It feels natural I get tired not tranquilized. I get a deep sleep also. I recommend it. It changed my life"

insomniac_since_92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2015

"I'm in UK. I've taken Mirtazapine for 3 nights & so far it has had no effect on my insomnia. It has perhaps made it worse as 2 of those nights I couldn't lie still but was fidgety & restless. I end up taking a temazepam, otherwise I literally lie wide awake all night. But I can't do this indefinitely as docs at my practice just refuse to give scrips for temazepam & other benzodiazepines, even though I have never abused these drugs. I don't want to lower the dose as main reason for taking Mirtazipine is my chronic anxiety, which I'm still hoping this med will help. Apart from the restlessness at night there have so far been no side effects. Felt a bit spaced out yesterday but nothing serious. But wish could night get good nights sleep."

Sleepless in UK October 8, 2015

"I took Remeron for the first time last night and it worked like a dream. I take Effexor for depression and it gives me complete insomnia. I have tried about every sleep aid out there and either couldn't deal with the side effects or the med just stopped working. I was prescribed 15mg of Remeron to take at bedtime, I took half of that based on the reviews I read here. I fell asleep in a reasonable amount of time, I may have rolled over a couple of times in the middle of the night but I actually SLEPT for most of the night. This is the first time in a month I can say I got restorative sleep. I was just a little hungover this morning but nothing I couldn't deal. I think this medication is going to be my lifesaver."

notlookingback September 30, 2015

"Had panic attacks and depression, loss of appetite, and trouble sleeping with restoril and other sleep aids. The Remeron works OK, after a few intial nights of being wide awake for 2-3 hours after bedtime. Now, on 15 mg and it seems I can fall asleep within 60-90 minutes, but wake up after 2-3 hours. However I can fall back asleep easily. I have no complaints, but I usually get the weirdest dreams - nothing catastrophic, but just plain unreal. It is just where my brain gets this from is a mystery. I can't imagine where my brain dreams up (no pun intended) these situations. I've even tried cutting the 15mg in half which seems to work as well as 15mg."

titanicirv (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2015

"I have suffered from insomnia for many years. This med helps, sometimes I still wakeup in the middle of the night. I usually fall back to sleep 3 to 4 hrs later. My migraines have gotten better and overall I like this med."

lucy lue1958 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 20, 2015

"The first time I took a 30mg tablet I slept 16 hours and it was heavenly."

Cagney (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 5, 2015

"I was given 15 mg caplets and told to cut them in half.. 7.5 mg the 1st night. Slept well but a little groggy the next day. Didn't get much accomplished. 2nd night same dose and the next day was a total loss. Just sat in my chair all day. No energy or drive. Then I tried to further the dose by cutting 15 mg into 7.5 mg into 3.75 mg. That's next to impossible due to the shape of the half tab. One night you get decent dose and the next you get the smaller quarter and it doesn't work. Too bad hey don't come in 10 mg tabs. For me, a big guy, with lots of body mass 3.5 mg would be a good dose but it's impossible to get with any accuracy."

Philsy August 2, 2015

"Have suffered insomnia and anxiety for 15 years. Slept 6 to 12 hours per week. SSRI's ineffective. Would visit Dr every 2 to 3 months and beg for 4 sleeping tablets, (I'm a brit) cos I was dizzy and almost crying with exhaustion. A new GP prescribed Mirtazipine and I have slept min 6 hours each night from the start. Feel fantastic. Colleagues notice difference, house is clean, bags of energy. PS no more horrible dreams either"

Happyscotsman August 2, 2015

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have tried so many things for my insomnia and evening panic attacks. This one works wonders. No more panic attacks at night. No more lying awake for hours."

Oohyayathrowaway July 27, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have found Mirtazapine to be a very safe drug with almost no side effects! I not not only had depression, but couldn't eat or sleep. My psychiatrist is excellent. It has been a delicate issue because I was still on 25 nortriptyline. Finally, I've been on both for a few weeks. I do hope that my doctor will eventually have me only on Mertazapine & no nortriptyline."

Tellita July 24, 2015