Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia

Review by boonking12:

Remeron (mirtazapine): Cannot sleep on Remeron

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2015 7:47 PM

Review by Catastrophe19 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It used to take me a good 3-4 hours to fall asleep at night, now it takes me around 20-30 minutes. I feel much more energised during the day and actually enjoy sleeping again. It has also helped decrease the amount of nightmares I used to have.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2015 4:45 PM

Review by Sheikh Yabhouti:

Was only sleeping 2-3 hours a night, some nights none at all. This on top of house, kids and a stressfull job, I was a walking mess. Started taking mirtazapine on my doctor's advice and it has changed my life completely. No stress and I sleep like a baby.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2015 12:53 PM

Review by 28YOMale (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have struggled mightily with insomnia due to anxiety. Been on 7.5 mg for just over a year, and have made significant progress in that time. Feel very tired normally within an hour or so of taking it and generally have slept well with far fewer exceptions. Not sure it really does anything for anxiety/depression. But I also am taking escitalopram during the day. Would certainly recommend mirtazapine for anyone struggling with insomnia.

January 8, 2015 1:17 PM

Review by Thedarkrose:

Long story short, chronic insomnia for years, got really bad about a year ago, even benzodiazepines stopped working. Remeron works somewhat even where benzodiazepines have failed. I'm up to 3-5 hours of continuous sleep per night from ~45mins of spread sleep per 24-72 hours. It's not perfect yet but it's definitely on a good path! Only thing slightly troubling is that I gained 20lbs in 1 month (my insomnia had caused some severe weight loss and appetite suppression so since Remeron helps with appetite AND causes weight gain, as well as having stopped amphetamines for my ADHD, my renewed appetite might have made me over indulge too much) I definitively recommend this to anyone with either insomnia or appetite issues (of the lower end obviously)

December 21, 2014 1:26 AM

Review by d_88 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had insomnia related to anxiety for about 6 years, exasperated by shift work and taking Citalopram. Took me ages to fall asleep (some nights couldn't sleep at all and this induced panic attacks) and waking atleast 3 times throughout the night. Finally referred to a sleep disorder service by NHS (uk) and my consultant prescribed this at 15mg. I fall asleep within an hour of taking usually. It has really helped! Feels like a nice natural sleepy state and not overly drowsy like you can get with sleeping pills. Reduced amount of times I wake also. However, I now have cold sweats every morning which wakes me up, they start from around 6am and continue till I wake up. Going to see my doc about this as they are becoming unbearable.

December 15, 2014 7:41 PM

Review by em83:

I love this med, literal life saver! having trouble sleeping for many years, only sleeping every 2 sometimes 3 night. I was like the living dead, a real life zoombie, couldn't think or function & could not deal with stress. since the first night I took this, it's turned my life around. I feel alive again. i only take one after trying to sleep naturally. if I don't fall asleep within an hour or two I take one 15 mg tab. usually half hour later & it's lights out, don't remember a thing. I do notice if I try to go to the bathroom before I've fallen asleep, I do feel slightly groggy, a little drunk. but that's long gone by the morning & I function & deal with stress better than I ever have before. no weight gain yet, need to gain some anyway.

November 30, 2014 8:36 AM

Review by BillyRubin12:

What it's supposed to do, it does very well. I was put on it for sleep and weight loss due to anxiety and depression after a stressful event in my life. I have struggled with insomnia for most of my adult life. What can I say? It was a literal life saver for me at the time. Gave me sleep and appetite back immediately and I turned around. I still take 7.5mg at night for sleep, appetite and mood and it works very well. For the first time in my life I am at a healthy weight. That being said it does not induce the crazy sweets cravings anymore. I just take it and go to bed. I sleep enough but do sometimes wake up feeling a bit groggy, but that usually goes away during the course of the day. All in all a great medication that helped me immensely

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2014 12:51 AM

Review by d1988:

I've been taking Mirtazpine for about 3/4 weeks, and the change in my sleep has been life changing. I work shifts and have always had issues with sleep (based around anxiety). I'm also prescribed Citalopram 20mg which has worked fantastically for anxiety and depression, however it causes me to wake frequently during the night (a common side effect of Citalopram is insomnia). Since starting this medication, now fall asleep within 30 minutes to an hour of going to bed, and only wake up about once a night (before this was waking up at least 3 times). Only down side to this medication is I now get cold sweats every night. Wake up freezing but dripping in sweat - already had these with Citalopram but become more often since starting these.

November 4, 2014 3:02 AM

Review by LushFlush (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Hi there! I started taking mirtazapine steadily for a few months. I commute to work, AKA sleeping on the train. When i woke up, i was totally confused as to where i was, if i allready had been at work or if i was heading to work and whatnot. That was a constant for the time i was on it. Stopped taking it coldturkey, worked fine. But the thing you guys should be aware of, is that its like putting a blanket over your brain the first weeks. I got jumpy, skittish and in general grumpy/agressive. If i take one now, i can easily sleep for three days straight. So, i keep a stash when i need a break from the world and just sleep it all away. Also, be aware of extremely livid dreams.

October 20, 2014 7:51 AM

Review by sleeping again (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have battled insomnia for most of my adult life. I was prescribed sleeping pills what a disaster. My Dr. was hesitant to prescribe this medication as weight gain is a side effect. She prescribed 7.5 to 15 mg a night and my sleep has been sound for over 2 years now. I gained probably 5-7 pounds gradually then stopped gaining. I do exercise and eat well this helps with sleep also. Sometimes I have daytime grogginess but usually not a problem. This medication was a God-send for me.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2014 12:23 PM

Review by Nighttime mother (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I experienced insomnia due to the stress of repeated night wakings from my baby coinciding with my husband leaving for a week at a time for work. I began with 7.5mg and it worked like a charm from the beginning. Some drowsiness in the morning but nothing a cup of coffee wouldn't cure. I gained 7 lbs but I am keeping track of calories now and that is almost off again. Could not say for certain if it was a result of this medicine because that happens if I am not paying attention anyway. Baby still wakes at night at times but I can go right back to sleep on this. I would recommend it to anyone with sleep issues.

October 13, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by Jasper_839 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have suffered from insomnia for the majority of my adult life. It seems like my mind does not want to slow down. I now take 30 mg of Remeron at bedtime, and I must say that it is an amazing medication. I do tend to be a bit groggy when I first get up, but like the post earlier, it is nothing compared to the "walking dead" feeling that insomnia gave me. I highly recommend it.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by Max M:

I have been using Remeron for sleep on and off for a couple of years. This is the only non-habit forming one I know of that really works. I take a tiny dose-- about 2 mg, or 1/8th of a 15 mg tablet (which is tricky to do with a pill cutter). Best results if I take it an hour or two before bedtime. Sleep quality usually very good. Only side effect is minor grogginess, which is nothing compared to what happens with insomnia. I recommend it very highly. Too bad it's not better known in the medical community.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 9:37 AM

Review by Brida:

I became extremely suicidal. Just starting to get better now with Wellbutrin. Be careful.

July 8, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by brett352 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Mirtazapine can work wonders for anyone struggling with insomnia, in my case caused by anxiety. Significant improvement from day 1, and has persisted for my 6 months of treatment. You'll feel like a zombie for several days, but don't let that bother you. After about a week or two, I was able to wake up at my normal time and feel good heading into work. Perhaps some benefit, although less noticeable for anxiety in general. But again, for insomnia this is a lifesaver. Went from 157 lbs to 164 but I've also been lifting weights and working out more, so no issue there. Good luck!

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 7:53 PM

Review by hendrixx:

I had chronic insomnia due to massive anxiety, I'm now on mirtazapine 30mg and olanzapine 5mg. It fixed my problem from the first day. I'm now sleeping well (the only negative is at every night I see dreams), I also wake up like a normal human. My anxiety is ok but its not all gone, perhaps I need more time. So I guess 9 stars is a good rate!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 8, 2014 12:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

It works very good for sleep as I have chronic insomnia due to severe anxiety, major depression. I didn't take it yesterday and barely slept good. What I hate is the drowsy feeling it makes during day does it go away? This pill made my birthday a fine day I made a day outside feeling OK.

May 23, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by John TA:

Most people should consider exercise and a better diet to help with sleep and also despression. Exercise can help. Also get away from the TV and computer before sleep. Mirtazapine is probably the best sleep aid I have ever used. The more expensive sleep drugs are less effective especially if you are worried and mind is racing. You can wake up groggy but it sure beats not getting any sleep. I try to not rely on it that much but it can be a Godsend. It is also very inexpensive. I usually take the 15 mg tabs and cut them into quarters. The only reason I am posting this is hopefully it will help someone with insomnia. It is highly effective.

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2014 1:09 AM

Review by Susan W. (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Started taking it for sleep and it works like a charm. Big problem? I knew I was packing on the pounds due to winter, etc., but was mortified when I went to the doctor today and got weighed. Twenty pounds in 3 months? I'm don't want to stop taking it, so I'm trying to break 15 mg. tabs in half. I can say that I will HAVE to find an alternative if that doesn't do the trick. The weight gain far outweighs any benefits I've gotten.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2014 1:11 AM

Review by Amazed40 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was prescribed 15mg tablets to take one at night for sleep (or Doctor said 7.5mg was fine). I suffered from Anxiety (No Severe Phobias; more Obsessive Compulsive Disorder type personality), and Depression. This medicine affects your sleep feeling natural, not zombied. I sleep longer, it works better than heavy sedation medicines without being groggy, and I get through all the proper stages of sleep (I'd assume), as it has helped my depression MAJORLY & anxiety sufficient enough. I use to take Seroquel (for bedtime sleep 100mg), it zombies you and is long term very bad for your health. I tried about every SSRI & SNRI, and none seemed to help & only cause problems. I haven't felt this good in 8 years. Felt better immediately & GREAT after 2 weeks! Hope it helps you.

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2014 6:25 PM

Review by Jazzy78:

Just started the tablet 15mg two days ago. Today is the 3rd day and by far the worst drowsiness I am facing. Cannot do anything in the office. As soon as I go to sleep I wake up, may be due to anxiety or side effect. Last both nights I took it at 8.00PM and went to bed at 9:00PM and at 10:PM I woke up due to severe anxiety attack. Tried couple of times and then finally went to sleep may be at 10:30PM and then woke up at 5:30 AM in the morning. After that Zombie Phase started and it never finished. Weekend is coming and want to sleep for at least 20 hours. A little better than previous in terms of anxiety and depression, I was never on medication before but was using Valium and Xanax frequently for sleep and these were working well.

February 7, 2014 2:35 AM

Review by Nuttymut (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I live in the UK and have sufferred with undiagnosed depression until I was 8 years old. Since diagnosis I've bumped along the bottom with little or no real help from my GP's. After 13 years I insisted I was referred to a sleep clinic. I was sent to a Neurologist. He put me on Mirtazapine to help me sleep. It did help greatly and I am now able to get through the day without any overwhelming need to sleep. I was kept on Cipralex whilst I went onto the Mirtazapine and could tolerate the new medication well. I have tried to come off the Cipralex but have not done too well without it. So I remain on 45mg Mirtazapine, 20mg of Cipralex and a vitamin supplemet of 400 iu's per day.

January 12, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by D Markowsky:

I've been taking 15 mg mirtazapine for about 6 months. I love it. I am finally sleeping again. Other than not feeling depressed and sleeping, I haven't noticed any side effects.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 9, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Charlotte, NC (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking "Mirtazapine" for 2 years. I was under weight with no appetite and was taking over the counter medicines to sleep. I was 40 years old weighing 89lbs before my doctor prescribe me this medicine - 2 years later I'm 111 lbs and sleep well every night. This really worked for me I would recommend this if you need to gain weight (because it makes you hungry) and if you have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 31, 2013 4:37 PM