User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Mirtazapine Review Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Mirtazapine to treat Insomnia

"I have tried so many things for my insomnia and evening panic attacks. This one works wonders. No more panic attacks at night. No more lying awake for hours."

Oohyayathrowaway July 27, 2015

"I have found Mirtazapine to be a very safe drug with almost no side effects! I not not only had depression, but couldn't eat or sleep. My psychiatrist is excellent. It has been a delicate issue because I was still on 25 nortriptyline. Finally, I've been on both for a few weeks. I do hope that my doctor will eventually have me only on Mertazapine & no nortriptyline."

Tellita July 24, 2015

"I have never been able to sleep more than 6 hrs. even when I was young. As I aged I began having trouble sleeping more than 3 hrs at a whack. My doctor prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg. at bedtime. It has changed my life! I sleep a full 5 to 7 hours most every night. I actually feel normal. I have tried various anti depressants for the last 25 yrs, Effexor works best for me."

thetaz July 13, 2015

"My shrink gave me this med almost 2 years ago and for me, it has helped a great deal with my insomnia. i take a 30mg at bedtime and 9 times at of 10, i am asleep within 90 minutes. I thank my shink everytime i see him"

JOEPAL64 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2015

"I have been taking Matazapine for just over 2 years now. I have a fear of dieing in my sleep so never really relaxed when I had to go to sleep and would be up all night. When I started taking them I was on out like a light I couldn't keep my eyes open and they really helped me sleep real quick. 2 years on they still help me sleep not to the point I am struggling to keep my eyes open but to a more natural state which is what I liked about them as they help your body adjust over time. I am now on 30mg and when I take them it relaxes me to help me go to sleep naturally with out thinking about it. I recommend this to any one who struggles with insomnia/ death fear like I did. It's worth trying to get yourself back on track with your sleep."

RetroDolly (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2015

"I took 7.5 mg and it worked. Had a great nights sleep. Felt very very tired and sluggish all day. Have read multiple reviews that say this should subside. I will cut the 7.5 in half for tonight to see if I can get the sleeping results without the exhaustion the next day. I don't take any mess more than I absolutely have to."

Still Searching 72 1/2 (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2015

"This drug works FAST. I'm 14 years old and have been having sleeping problems when I'm tossing and turning and can't fall asleep, anxiety where I can't even go in the car, eating and weight problems (loss of appetite), depression which is taking over my life making me suicidal and PTSD and OCD. My doc first prescribed Zoloft, didn't do me any good just made me feel so much sicker with its horrible side effects and make me feel more suicidal and hopeless so I stopped, but my Doc then prescribed me this Remeron. first night? out like a light in 30 mins. woke up the next morning feeling refreshed. started eating breakfast, went from 82 lbs to 89 in a week (good news for me). If anyone as a teen has my symptoms consider remeron!!"

fastestchachi May 9, 2015

"I started taking mirtazapine on the advice of my psychiatrist 5 months ago, in October of 2014! The doctor suggested this because of my panic disorder my general anxiety and my insomnia! I was on paxil and celexa years ago, but I find mirtazapine better in the sense that it has less side effects and feels almost like I'm taking nothing at all! There is no apathy no drugged feeling like SSRI can cause! I must mention that it took me about 4 weeks to feel clear headed taking mirtazapine! First 4-6 weeks I did feel zombied, but better then the zombie feeling one gets from poor sleep! There are also zero sexual side effects! Only problem I experienced is i gained 7 lbs in the 5 months but the weight gain stopped, I work out and it stopped the weight gain"

Izn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015

"I have been on mirtazapine for just over a month, like others here I had trouble sleeping only a few hours a night, this became unbearable and I couldn't function in my work or daily life, I was tearful and miserable. I went to my doc explained the situation, I didn't want antidepressants as tried them before with dreadful side effects. Long story short I relented and thought I'd try mirtazapine for a week, I'm now into my 5th week and sleep well most nights, a few night sweats and some weird dreams but I'm starting to feel human again."

Oscar1969 March 24, 2015

"Mirtazapine has been a life saver for me. I have had trouble falling asleep on and off over the last two and a half years mainly because I've been unhappy at work. Just recently I was on zolpidem for 2 months and then switched to mirtazapine when I realised my sleep problems weren't going to get better in the short term. A couple of years ago things were so bad that sleeping tablets didn't even work and mirtazapine was the only medication that got me to sleep. I function normally after about the first 8 days on adjusting to this tablet - day 1 I feel like a zombie but by day 3 I start to feel less like that. Just stick with it for a few days and you will adjust, is my advice. The dosage I take is 30mg or 45mg."

AJMs March 14, 2015

Remeron (mirtazapine): "Cannot sleep on Remeron"

boonking12 March 11, 2015

"It used to take me a good 3-4 hours to fall asleep at night, now it takes me around 20-30 minutes. I feel much more energised during the day and actually enjoy sleeping again. It has also helped decrease the amount of nightmares I used to have."

Catastrophe19 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 10, 2015

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Was only sleeping 2-3 hours a night, some nights none at all. This on top of house, kids and a stressfull job, I was a walking mess. Started taking mirtazapine on my doctor's advice and it has changed my life completely. No stress and I sleep like a baby."

Sheikh Yabhouti January 25, 2015

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have struggled mightily with insomnia due to anxiety. Been on 7.5 mg for just over a year, and have made significant progress in that time. Feel very tired normally within an hour or so of taking it and generally have slept well with far fewer exceptions. Not sure it really does anything for anxiety/depression. But I also am taking escitalopram during the day. Would certainly recommend mirtazapine for anyone struggling with insomnia."

28YOMale (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2015

"Long story short, chronic insomnia for years, got really bad about a year ago, even benzodiazepines stopped working. Remeron works somewhat even where benzodiazepines have failed. I'm up to 3-5 hours of continuous sleep per night from ~45mins of spread sleep per 24-72 hours. It's not perfect yet but it's definitely on a good path! Only thing slightly troubling is that I gained 20lbs in 1 month (my insomnia had caused some severe weight loss and appetite suppression so since Remeron helps with appetite AND causes weight gain, as well as having stopped amphetamines for my ADHD, my renewed appetite might have made me over indulge too much) I definitively recommend this to anyone with either insomnia or appetite issues (of the lower end obviously)"

Thedarkrose December 21, 2014

"I have had insomnia related to anxiety for about 6 years, exasperated by shift work and taking Citalopram. Took me ages to fall asleep (some nights couldn't sleep at all and this induced panic attacks) and waking atleast 3 times throughout the night. Finally referred to a sleep disorder service by NHS (uk) and my consultant prescribed this at 15mg. I fall asleep within an hour of taking usually. It has really helped! Feels like a nice natural sleepy state and not overly drowsy like you can get with sleeping pills. Reduced amount of times I wake also. However, I now have cold sweats every morning which wakes me up, they start from around 6am and continue till I wake up. Going to see my doc about this as they are becoming unbearable."

d_88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2014

"Almost immediately I felt better. At 2-3 hours of sleep at night, I had a good 15 hours (along with 3mg of melatonin) of sleep the first night. A little groggy my 1st hour awake. Two weeks in, I'm up 3lbs, which I needed. Love it. Zoloft was the devil at 75mg/day. Thankful to my doctor for prescribing it."

Anonymous December 6, 2014

"I love this med, literal life saver! having trouble sleeping for many years, only sleeping every 2 sometimes 3 night. I was like the living dead, a real life zoombie, couldn't think or function & could not deal with stress. since the first night I took this, it's turned my life around. I feel alive again. i only take one after trying to sleep naturally. if I don't fall asleep within an hour or two I take one 15 mg tab. usually half hour later & it's lights out, don't remember a thing. I do notice if I try to go to the bathroom before I've fallen asleep, I do feel slightly groggy, a little drunk. but that's long gone by the morning & I function & deal with stress better than I ever have before. no weight gain yet, need to gain some anyway."

em83 November 30, 2014

"What it's supposed to do, it does very well. I was put on it for sleep and weight loss due to anxiety and depression after a stressful event in my life. I have struggled with insomnia for most of my adult life. What can I say? It was a literal life saver for me at the time. Gave me sleep and appetite back immediately and I turned around. I still take 7.5mg at night for sleep, appetite and mood and it works very well. For the first time in my life I am at a healthy weight. That being said it does not induce the crazy sweets cravings anymore. I just take it and go to bed. I sleep enough but do sometimes wake up feeling a bit groggy, but that usually goes away during the course of the day. All in all a great medication that helped me immensely"

BillyRubin12 November 5, 2014

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been taking Mirtazpine for about 3/4 weeks, and the change in my sleep has been life changing. I work shifts and have always had issues with sleep (based around anxiety). I'm also prescribed Citalopram 20mg which has worked fantastically for anxiety and depression, however it causes me to wake frequently during the night (a common side effect of Citalopram is insomnia). Since starting this medication, now fall asleep within 30 minutes to an hour of going to bed, and only wake up about once a night (before this was waking up at least 3 times). Only down side to this medication is I now get cold sweats every night. Wake up freezing but dripping in sweat - already had these with Citalopram but become more often since starting these."

d1988 November 4, 2014

"Hi there! I started taking mirtazapine steadily for a few months. I commute to work, AKA sleeping on the train. When i woke up, i was totally confused as to where i was, if i allready had been at work or if i was heading to work and whatnot. That was a constant for the time i was on it. Stopped taking it coldturkey, worked fine. But the thing you guys should be aware of, is that its like putting a blanket over your brain the first weeks. I got jumpy, skittish and in general grumpy/agressive. If i take one now, i can easily sleep for three days straight. So, i keep a stash when i need a break from the world and just sleep it all away. Also, be aware of extremely livid dreams."

LushFlush (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2014

"I have battled insomnia for most of my adult life. I was prescribed sleeping pills what a disaster. My Dr. was hesitant to prescribe this medication as weight gain is a side effect. She prescribed 7.5 to 15 mg a night and my sleep has been sound for over 2 years now. I gained probably 5-7 pounds gradually then stopped gaining. I do exercise and eat well this helps with sleep also. Sometimes I have daytime grogginess but usually not a problem. This medication was a God-send for me."

sleeping again (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 17, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I experienced insomnia due to the stress of repeated night wakings from my baby coinciding with my husband leaving for a week at a time for work. I began with 7.5mg and it worked like a charm from the beginning. Some drowsiness in the morning but nothing a cup of coffee wouldn't cure. I gained 7 lbs but I am keeping track of calories now and that is almost off again. Could not say for certain if it was a result of this medicine because that happens if I am not paying attention anyway. Baby still wakes at night at times but I can go right back to sleep on this. I would recommend it to anyone with sleep issues."

Nighttime mother (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2014

"I have suffered from insomnia for the majority of my adult life. It seems like my mind does not want to slow down. I now take 30 mg of Remeron at bedtime, and I must say that it is an amazing medication. I do tend to be a bit groggy when I first get up, but like the post earlier, it is nothing compared to the "walking dead" feeling that insomnia gave me. I highly recommend it."

Jasper_839 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2014

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been using Remeron for sleep on and off for a couple of years. This is the only non-habit forming one I know of that really works. I take a tiny dose-- about 2 mg, or 1/8th of a 15 mg tablet (which is tricky to do with a pill cutter). Best results if I take it an hour or two before bedtime. Sleep quality usually very good. Only side effect is minor grogginess, which is nothing compared to what happens with insomnia. I recommend it very highly. Too bad it's not better known in the medical community."

Max M July 9, 2014

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next