User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 3 reviews 13 medications

7.5
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 279 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Mirtazapine

Review by BillyRubin12:

For Insomnia: What it's supposed to do, it does very well. I was put on it for sleep and weight loss due to anxiety and depression after a stressful event in my life. I have struggled with insomnia for most of my adult life. What can I say? It was a literal life saver for me at the time. Gave me sleep and appetite back immediately and I turned around. I still take 7.5mg at night for sleep, appetite and mood and it works very well. For the first time in my life I am at a healthy weight. That being said it does not induce the crazy sweets cravings anymore. I just take it and go to bed. I sleep enough but do sometimes wake up feeling a bit groggy, but that usually goes away during the course of the day. All in all a great medication that helped me immensely

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2014 12:51 AM

Review by LushFlush (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: Hi there! I started taking mirtazapine steadily for a few months. I commute to work, AKA sleeping on the train. When i woke up, i was totally confused as to where i was, if i allready had been at work or if i was heading to work and whatnot. That was a constant for the time i was on it. Stopped taking it coldturkey, worked fine. But the thing you guys should be aware of, is that its like putting a blanket over your brain the first weeks. I got jumpy, skittish and in general grumpy/agressive. If i take one now, i can easily sleep for three days straight. So, i keep a stash when i need a break from the world and just sleep it all away. Also, be aware of extremely livid dreams.

October 20, 2014 7:51 AM

Review by sleeping again (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I have battled insomnia for most of my adult life. I was prescribed sleeping pills what a disaster. My Dr. was hesitant to prescribe this medication as weight gain is a side effect. She prescribed 7.5 to 15 mg a night and my sleep has been sound for over 2 years now. I gained probably 5-7 pounds gradually then stopped gaining. I do exercise and eat well this helps with sleep also. Sometimes I have daytime grogginess but usually not a problem. This medication was a God-send for me.

October 17, 2014 12:23 PM

Review by Nighttime mother (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I experienced insomnia due to the stress of repeated night wakings from my baby coinciding with my husband leaving for a week at a time for work. I began with 7.5mg and it worked like a charm from the beginning. Some drowsiness in the morning but nothing a cup of coffee wouldn't cure. I gained 7 lbs but I am keeping track of calories now and that is almost off again. Could not say for certain if it was a result of this medicine because that happens if I am not paying attention anyway. Baby still wakes at night at times but I can go right back to sleep on this. I would recommend it to anyone with sleep issues.

October 13, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by jeffdotcooper (taken for less than 1 month):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: 30 mg. dosage; What to possibly expect based on my experience. Day 1. I was extremely tired & if I let my head hit the pillow, I would experience micro sleep. I felt a little dizzy at times. Be careful around stairs if you suffer from vertigo. Functionality was delayed - my mind was in a cloud & it was difficult to work or concentrate on something that required deep attention. Day2. I felt hungover. Hypersensitive to sounds, meaning that my mind would abnormally jolt to a greater sense of attention to a noise than before. The dizziness remained but at a decreased level. Day 3. Almost normal; just slightly tired.

October 3, 2014 6:57 AM

Review by Jennifreckles (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: During a really worrying period with one of my children I found I couldn't sleep and would lie awake with pounding heart and shaking. This meant I found terrible during the day and it just got worse and worse. I eventually was referred to a Psychiatrist who prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg. Well the first night I slept all night! I was very groggy in the morning. Gradually the grogginess lessened. I found that because I was getting a good nights restful sleep I started to improve. It really was like a miracle for me. I have been on it now for about 18 months, the family crisis is over and I want to get off now if I can. so I have started taking just 7.5mg will see how I go with that for a while then hopefully stop altogether.

October 2, 2014 6:41 PM

Review by Anxiety&OCD:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Was on citalopram for my anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder for 10yrs. It stopped working unfortunately and my doctor switched me to Mirtazapine as I also wasn't eating well. So pleased as now I'm eating, my anxiety & OCD is under control. I recommend this medicine.

September 28, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by Cazxx:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I was on Citalopram for 10yrs for my anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. I've always struggled to eat on that medication though, so I went to my doctor who decided to switch me to Mirtazapine.. I cross tapered medication over a 4 week period to reduced citalopram withdrawal. I started on 15mg of Mirtazapine for a week then my dose was upped to 30mg. I'm so pleased with the results. I feel calmer than I have for years, and I'm also eating again which is a big thing for me as when my anxiety is bad I lose my appetite. It's also controlling my obsessive compulsive disorder symptoms well. I love this medication. I take it an hour before I go to bed and I sleep for 8 hours and feel refreshed the next day. It also has less side effects than SSRI's.

September 24, 2014 5:49 AM

Review by AnonAnonAnon (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: Probably the best antidepressant I've taken in terms of overall effect and side effects (minimal side effects). Also, I noted the improvement in days, vs weeks for SSRI/SNRI's. It's not like being hit by a dose of Ritalin but just was a general sense of wanting to get back in the game, feeling ok, but not "locked in" - still have a good range of emotions.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2014 2:50 PM

Review by xyz123:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I had been taking Restoril for sleep for several years. I found that my level of depression was worsening over time and I had to take more and more to sleep. Finally, I decided that I needed to get off of the Restoril. My doctor prescribed Remeron. I have been taking it for several weeks now and find that my mood has improved as well as my sleep. I am down to 1/2 of the Restoril I was taking before and hopefully may be able to discontinue it. The only downside of Remeron is that my appetite has increased, which is not good for me. Otherwise, I would have rated this as a 10.

September 16, 2014 7:25 AM

Review by sam1234abc:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Once I got over the initial cravings and groggyness (they both passed after a few weeks) it was like a dark cloud was lifted and I could finally see clearly - completely without the classic numbness and lack of personality that other common anti-depressants have. Absolute life changer.

August 19, 2014 1:54 AM

Review by dcubed:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Anxiety: Have had generalized and social anxiety for as long as I can remember. Was on Klonopin 1.0 to 1.5 mg twice a day (about 15 years) along with propranolol 20 mg twice a day. I decided at the beginning of this year that I was going to try to wean myself off Klonopin as getting a script every month for Klonopin is a pain. I started Remeron 5 months ago at 15mg than 22.5mg and in no time my anxiety level went down. I was also on Vyvanse to counter depression from long term Klonopin which I replaced with Wellbutrin. With Remeron/Wellbutrin combination I am down to 0.5mg twice a day Klonopin which I never dreamed was possible. I plan on going on Lyrica or Neurontin to help wean off Klonopin for good.

August 13, 2014 6:35 PM

Review by muninn42 (taken for less than 1 month):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: I have several issues and was given Remeron along with Seroquel and Tegretol, I take it at night and I sleep now, its pretty amazing but I'm so tired after taking it that I can't keep my eyes open no matter what. In the 3 weeks I have been on it I have gained 3lbs which is awesome for me. I hope the sleepiness dies down some as it is a bit strong for me, but overall this is a great medicine.

August 8, 2014 5:03 PM

Review by Jasper_839 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: I have suffered from insomnia for the majority of my adult life. It seems like my mind does not want to slow down. I now take 30 mg of Remeron at bedtime, and I must say that it is an amazing medication. I do tend to be a bit groggy when I first get up, but like the post earlier, it is nothing compared to the "walking dead" feeling that insomnia gave me. I highly recommend it.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by steverh (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was on Remeron for about 2 years before. Helped very very much with my depression. But although I often felt very sleepy near the beginning of the treatment, the massive fatigue eventually subsided to an acceptable level. 20-mins after taking it, I'm ready for bed I can't keep my eyes open no matter what. I just restarted Remeron two days ago, after more than a year being on it. As I type this, I feel fogged over, sort of sleepy, and immensely "munchie". As before when I took it, I'd find myself waking up several times a night going to raid the fridge and cabinets for munchie or sweet foods (and meats! definitely craved meat all the time). So again, on Remeron: eating again, sleeping some, more relaxed, less sad.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2014 9:05 AM

Review by blableblabla:

For Anxiety: After a run of horrific life experiences, I had terrible panic attacks and went to hospital emergency several time thinking I was having a heart attack. Interestingly, I started on 15mg and could hardly wake during the day, missed meetings and appointments as I'd sleep through them. My doctor told me that paradoxically, the drowsiness tends to stop at a higher dose. I started 30mg and almost immediately my energy in the morning came back. I haven't had any panic attacks and have achieved more in the last 6 months than I had the 3 years prior. I'm laughing and enjoying life. If you feel tired and low in energy on the low dose, then ask your doctor about a higher dose. Don't give up on this. This medicine has given me my life back.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 7:20 AM

Review by guyme (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Pros: Helps with sleep, Lessens anxiety. Cons: Weight gain, Fatigue during the day, Suicidal thoughts, Depression still.

July 13, 2014 5:45 AM

Review by Max M:

For Insomnia: I have been using Remeron for sleep on and off for a couple of years. This is the only non-habit forming one I know of that really works. I take a tiny dose-- about 2 mg, or 1/8th of a 15 mg tablet (which is tricky to do with a pill cutter). Best results if I take it an hour or two before bedtime. Sleep quality usually very good. Only side effect is minor grogginess, which is nothing compared to what happens with insomnia. I recommend it very highly. Too bad it's not better known in the medical community.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 9:37 AM

Review by Brida:

For Insomnia: I became extremely suicidal. Just starting to get better now with Wellbutrin. Be careful.

July 8, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by Not Sleepy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Remeron SolTab (mirtazapine) for : Excellent medication, only thing to work after twenty years of sleeplessness and trying everything. Takes a few weeks to get used to it, the grogginess etc lift with time. Use the weight gain as an excuse to exercise more, make it a win win situation. I take 7.5mgs and take it two to three hours before bedtime, this way I wake up more refreshed, and some evenings I go without it just to give myself a break.

June 28, 2014 1:43 PM

Review by brett352 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: Mirtazapine can work wonders for anyone struggling with insomnia, in my case caused by anxiety. Significant improvement from day 1, and has persisted for my 6 months of treatment. You'll feel like a zombie for several days, but don't let that bother you. After about a week or two, I was able to wake up at my normal time and feel good heading into work. Perhaps some benefit, although less noticeable for anxiety in general. But again, for insomnia this is a lifesaver. Went from 157 lbs to 164 but I've also been lifting weights and working out more, so no issue there. Good luck!

June 23, 2014 7:53 PM

Review by Kaz79 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I started this medication following a breakdown and it really helped me. But, 6 years down the line and after gaining 3 stone in weight it wasn't good for me anymore. I'm now on venlafaxine. Feeling queasy but already lost 4lbs in 3days!!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 6:05 AM

Review by LucAUS (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I have been on many medications and this seems to be working the best. So far so good and only getting better. I have never really been depressed but I did feel weird and used to worry all the time and couldn't work out why (ANXIETY). I have been misdiagnosed with ADHD and BI Polar. All those medications made me worse (Zyprexa, Lovan, Lithium, Carbamazapine, Effexor). I now take 15mg of mirtazapine before bed and have accomplished more in 6 weeks then I have in years because I don't have that weird feeling hovering around me anymore. I think it would be wise for parents with "ADHD" kids to get another opinion because it could just be anxiety causing concentration problems.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by hendrixx:

For Insomnia: I had chronic insomnia due to massive anxiety, I'm now on mirtazapine 30mg and olanzapine 5mg. It fixed my problem from the first day. I'm now sleeping well (the only negative is at every night I see dreams), I also wake up like a normal human. My anxiety is ok but its not all gone, perhaps I need more time. So I guess 9 stars is a good rate!

June 8, 2014 12:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: It works very good for sleep as I have chronic insomnia due to severe anxiety, major depression. I didn't take it yesterday and barely slept good. What I hate is the drowsy feeling it makes during day does it go away? This pill made my birthday a fine day I made a day outside feeling OK.

May 23, 2014 2:29 AM