User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 9 reviews 13 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 15 reviews 5 medications

6.8
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 489 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Mirtazapine

For Depression: "Terrible. Only took one time and slept for 12 hours straight. Woke up for work and felt out of it half of the day. Will never take it again"

Melandjas May 1, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "mirtazapine is a fancy name for a knock out sedative. Depending on the sensitivity of your brain. Taking it, puts you in a sleep state instantly and you never really wake up until 3 days when you return to your previous state. I feel that these drugs tend to push you more into a depressed state rather than take you out of it. In my experience, lifestyle decisions will be far more effective in the long term, otherwise you will remain on these drugs forever, making drug cos wealthier on your dependancy."

crazyandy May 1, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was started on 30 mg a month ago and within past week have been upped to 45 mg. Seems to help me sleep better than I was. I just hope the effects don't stop and it continues to help with my sleep as well as my depression. I have been a ginny pig for over 20 years to these psych meds. I have not noticed any of the horrific side effects people are experiencing. Also have to determine if side effects out weigh the benefit. No hangover effect and no tiredness throughout day! It has done wonders for me thus far."

Queenb30 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I'm about 4 weeks in on 15mg slowly transitioning to 30mg. I'm a 6'2 male in my mid 30's and before i began Mirtz i was 182 pounds. Today i'm 199 pounds in just 4 weeks! One other condition this drug is used for is an appetite stimulant and i can see why as i will eat anything anyone puts in front of me. I feel like an ogre now when i eat, literally can eat 2 full meals at a time. Trying to exercise more to fight off the crazy gains. Overall i'm taking this for Major depression, anxiety and insomnia. So far so good for those 3, things are slowly getting better. The dreams from Mirtz are crazy! Every night is a new adventure. Don't feel too groggy the next day. I will post an update in a few weeks once the 30mg has a chance to kick in."

Bubzzzzzzz (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2016

For Anxiety: "Id write more except I cant focus for long. Citalopram made me suicidal, hate that drug with a passion. Doctor gave me this, its yet to help with my anxiety or panic attacks (2 weeks in 30mg). Side effects are not great: The most horrific and graphic nightmares I've ever had in my life which make me wake up in tears. The problem here is that this drug makes me sleep for 10 hours so theres no escaping these dreams, then when I wake up i just have these disturbing images in my head all day which makes my anxiety worse. my anger is unreal and not an aggressive person in general. Another thing is I cannot sit still, i have to be moving all the time from the second I wake up. Concentration is non existent..."

Joshrw6 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

For Anxiety: "Bad. Way to many Side effects and effects on too many neurotransmitters. Awful. Interacted with my clonidine and tagamet. Put me in hospital. Rather be depressed"

Bryant73 April 21, 2016

For Depression: "Overall this has helped , I can handle most things far better than I used to , it takes the edge of things . Sleep is better . I used to get such a dry mouth but letting the ortho disposable tablet dissolve a little then taking water helps . I do still occasionally feel spaced out and I have put on weight ."

Bettie1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2016

For Depression: "45 mg.Taking this med for depression and anxiety.Insomnia is my main issue. Mirtazapine doesn't help with insomnia at all. To me it's kind of a joke that this actually helps people sleep. I'm very happy for those people. For myself, however, mirtazapine doesn't work AT ALL for sleep, and if anything, just gets me in this wierd grogged state w/ confusing thoughts and waking up from them constantly. It seems to have a very modest effect on depression and anxiety. It seems that I have had less anxiety overall, and i have random times where i get really depressed and then i snap out of it for an hour or two and attempt productive stuff.But honestly,I think it's just my own attitude change and not the med.Not many noticable bad side FX otherwise"

Akester1 April 20, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was just reading about this lady that said she had to change medication because of drug test's at her work. Well if you have a perscription from your doctor you don't have to worry about the results of the screening. Take it from the horses mouth,,,,mine."

brooklynmann April 20, 2016

For Depression: "Six weeks in on this stuff and I can't say I've noticed a massive difference. For one day I had euphoria, everything seemed OK again, my problems seemed a challenge and I was filled with joy from "waking up" from a fearful monochrome life. Then after that initial carefree break I was mostly back to normal with slightly less depression. I'm staying as positive as I can though, crying less, feeling less overwhelmed and battling things that make me uncomfortable. Avoiding 30mg for as long as I can. Seretonergic drugs = tired and transiently 'drunk'/disconnected, at least for me. For now, 15mg is my crutch for getting through the day. Things suck ever so slightly less now."

ponystarfish (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

For Depression: "Don't keep away from this drug, it's a lifesaver. If you have life threatening major depression not just feeling down. For the first time in months I slept for a good 7hrs and it was restful sleep not like diazepam sleep. I literally woke the next morning after my first dose and I knew I was gonna be ok. After months of fighting for my sanity, trying different drugs, I felt I had found salvation. If your literally struggling every hour to fight off the infinitive sadness and despair of real depressive illness then this drug may well be your pathway out of it. If you are just a neurotic daytime time tv addict couch potato then this drug won't help you."

Sanctus April 16, 2016

For Anxiety: "I suffered from postnatal Anxiety that I had just about every symptom that comes with anxiety! Mirtazapine 15mg changed my life that I can now enjoys my babies and lead a normal life that I did before! No more anxiety or insomnia and am now back at work!"

Floss1234 April 15, 2016

For Anxiety: "I suffer from obsessive thoughts, anxiety, depression and poor sleep. Mirta has a very powerful effect on me. I break a 15mg tablet in half and half again to about 4 mg and it still knocks me out all night with a solid sleep. The next day I'm only about 60% alert until the evening when I become fully alert. It takes away sexual drive and sometimes causes restlessness before sleep. However it does reduce anxiety well enough to sleep. I have been using it when I need it."

Australia 2 April 14, 2016

For Depression: "Have been taking .45 for almost 2 years now. Great sleep, much less anxiety, still days of depression though. The only problem is my 40 lb. weight gain. This is possibly related to my hypothyroid meds."

katieat sea (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "When I first started taking Remeron it was for my PTSD and Depression (no help for anxiety). At 15mg it makes you the most drowsy and sometimes made me slightly nauseous- my psychiatrist told me most people have to up their dosage to feel relief of PTSD and to actually feel less tired, so I was slowly prescribed higher dosages and it provided a smooth transition for my body. I am currently on 45mg and I sleep great, with very vivid dreams, but I do not wake up drowsy nor do I have a change in appetite, and the best part is that I have a majority of my PTSD and Depression controlled! ( in the uk they go to 60+ mg of remeron but the U.S. is limited to prescribing 45mg! )"

Torii April 12, 2016

For Anxiety: "Mirtazapine 30 mg, taken it for several months... I still have anxiety and depression... but not much and not all the time. I still have the dreaded restless leg syndrome but, after falling asleep, I sleep like a baby. No side effects whatsoever, none, never. It may not perform miracles but it is, as per my experience, definitely worth a try. Other antidepressants I tried were horrible, so..."

Somebodyhereandthere (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "I have been on this medication only 2 weeks I am finally not crying all the time. I am still not sleeping. I go for days not sleeping and when I do it is only for 2 or 3 hours. I am hoping this med eventually helps my sleep time. I don't seem to be having any side effects. If weight gain is a side effect it will help since I have been too thin most of my life. I have tried so many meds for depression and this one seems to be the only one that has had any effect on it at all. I would considerate it to be wonderful and would recommend it for depression."

nscol (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2016

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "This medication is one of modern medicine's true miracles. I started taking it 7 months ago after a devastating benzo/opiate relapse and I have suffered from MDD and insomnia for 19 years. During that time I have literally tried everything - legal AND illegal. Thank God for this medicine. I did gain a ton of weight at first but consider it a small price to pay for high quality/quantity of sleep, energy, a positive mood, and an all around "good" feeling. Everyone reacts to medicine differently, don't give up. I am so thankful to have my sanity and my life back - all thanks to this medicine."

SchottyNurse April 8, 2016

For Anxiety: "So, I started taking 15mg of Mirtazapine but only half 7.5 as at the time (6 months ago) I was under 18 years of age and my doctor was extremely cautious about me taking this pill. Anyway! I started taking them maybe just over 6 months actually, and my behaviour and attitude & anxiety has gotten much much worse. I wouldn't recommend anyone take this pill, as I have stopped sleeping as much, I have felt like I can't go out, just all together I feel like a zombie. Having to deal with the insomnia aswell as the anxiety aswell is not a good combination. I've had to start taking sleep aid as well as this drug because I feel constantly tired, I'm very pale all the time and I don't feel the benefits of this drug."

chloejaderx April 7, 2016

For Insomnia: "I suffer from major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and severe insomnia. I've been taking 15 mg of this plus 100 mg of Trazadone each night, to sleep, for almost 2 years. (on top of my depression meds, which we are still playing with). The mirtazapine has been a life saver. The trazadone helps, but without this drug I only slept an hour or two at a time. with this, I generally sleep 6 hours before I wake up at all... and even then it's generally my bladder that wakes me. I don't get any of the side effects people here keep talking about (drunk feeling, inability to wake up, numbness in the mouth, excessive sleep, etc)."

Crazy and disabled redhead April 7, 2016

For Anxiety: "Total nightmare I couldn't sleep had awful nightmares of something that happened to me nearly 20 years,dry mouth,chapped lips,the tirdness was unreal I only took it for two night and this happened imagine if I stick it out any long,keep away from this DRUG it's dug up my past and now i have to deal with this all over again,I'm distraught from it"

Amber ann April 6, 2016

For Depression: "ive been taking 30mg of these for 2 weeks now and really struggling. doesnt make me any happier, if anything makes me worse. except for sleep, i sleep now. sugar cravings are crazy, never ben into sugary things at all but now cant stop."

annon 81 April 5, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I have ptsd, depression, bipolar disorder, and anxiety :/ first night taking 7.5mg of mirtazapine and I'm very nervous since I had a very bad experience with seroquil. Just hope it doesn't do the same as seroquil did. My dr said that this medicine is nothing like it so hopefully I'll be ok. I've been tiny my whole life, when I got on seroquil it made me go from 115 to 160 pounds within a few months so that made me happy and it helped me sleep but what it did that I HATED was that it brought on constant anxiety attacks that I couldn't really control and raised my heart rate to 180 one time because of the attack. Seroquil was literally the exact definition of hell :( hopefully mirtazapine helps me, cuz I'm a huge hypochondriac lol need advice"

Amber Dillow (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2016

For Depression: "Just under two weeks in and not noticed a massive difference (gone from despair to dysthymia mind you - but mostly due to avoiding stress; being signed off). I'm sleeping a whole lot better than I used to and generally have more energy during the day instead of having a deep desire to nap. Apart from the "bouncy castle effect" one hour after taking it, can't say I've had any side effects - though like most people (from what I've read) any food I see I want to devour. That and I've had bizarre patches of feeling spaced out. I suspect I might need a little more than 15mg."

ponystarfish (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: "Excellent for obsessive thoughts, best depression lift in many years...BUT...I am going off of it after five weeks. The initial side effects I could deal with, the normal headache, grogginess, irritability but then after the fourth week I noticed a rare side effect of edema (water retention) of an average of 2.5lbs a day and on my last days 3-4lbs. It was serious. It also caused extreme sugar/carb cravings. That I can control, the water I cannot."

JJisblue (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016