User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 3 reviews 13 medications

7.6
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 304 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Mirtazapine

Review by Catastrophe19 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: It used to take me a good 3-4 hours to fall asleep at night, now it takes me around 20-30 minutes. I feel much more energised during the day and actually enjoy sleeping again. It has also helped decrease the amount of nightmares I used to have.

February 10, 2015 4:45 PM

Review by Paste (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: Worked for about 7 months. Now I have to find something else because my depression is coming back.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2015 9:25 PM

Review by yorkies (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Great med feel a lot better. Tiredness in the morning and a few weird dreams but otherwise great hope it continues.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2015 1:48 AM

Review by Sleeping fine:

For Depression: I have been on this medicine for about 8 years now. It is the ONLY thing that helps me sleep and not have panic attacks at night. It however does not do much for my anxiety, which I have taken many different medicines for and no luck with any of them. I would recommend mirtazapine to anyone who cannot sleep, but beware getting off this. The withdrawal symptoms are not pleasant at all.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2015 10:27 AM

Review by Anna1238 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Mirtazapine is a great medication. It was my first antidepressant. I would say it's very mild compare to other antidepressants. The only problem was that I was eating too much, waking up at night to eat chocolate and I put on weight a lot! I think that I had restless legs syndrome too. Apart from that I was happy, no sexual dysfunction, great sleep. But after couple months I had panic attacks again. My body got used to it and my doctor increased the dose, even that couldn't help. I was on the highest dose...So I had to change my medication.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2015 5:33 PM

Review by Sheikh Yabhouti:

For Insomnia: Was only sleeping 2-3 hours a night, some nights none at all. This on top of house, kids and a stressfull job, I was a walking mess. Started taking mirtazapine on my doctor's advice and it has changed my life completely. No stress and I sleep like a baby.

January 25, 2015 12:53 PM

Review by coxysmelons93 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Works far better than any SSRI but I do still have symptoms of anxiety. I also take Diazepam when I feel an episode of severe anxiety coming on. Haven't been on it for that long though. Physiological symptoms like heart racing etc. Have already decreased so looking good.

January 24, 2015 1:05 PM

Review by coxysmelons93 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Made quite a difference quite fast to hypervigliance and anxiety symptoms. I am no longer as scared as I was sitting in my own house at night. It's no miracle, no medicine will ever take away the memories but this definitely improves functioning.

January 24, 2015 1:03 PM

Review by 28YOMale (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Insomnia: I have struggled mightily with insomnia due to anxiety. Been on 7.5 mg for just over a year, and have made significant progress in that time. Feel very tired normally within an hour or so of taking it and generally have slept well with far fewer exceptions. Not sure it really does anything for anxiety/depression. But I also am taking escitalopram during the day. Would certainly recommend mirtazapine for anyone struggling with insomnia.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 1:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: This medicine is working well. I no longer suffer with severe depression.

January 7, 2015 5:54 AM

Review by SmoothSailings:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: I didn't experience a crazy increase in appetite, however I did gain motivation that I previously didn't have to go to the gym and lift weights which helped me put my weight back on. Side effects for me included slight numbness of the tongue and I feel like I mumble a lot because of that. Side effects do not bother me due to the fact that I feel so much better because of the medicine.

January 5, 2015 10:12 PM

Review by Steph H:

For Depression: I was started on Mirtazapine at 16 after 5 years of Major Depression and suicidal ideation to the point where I was admitted into a psych ward 6 times for up to 5 weeks each time. I've tried Fluoxetine and Escitalopram and Mirtazapine has been the best. I felt happier and I wasn't as suicidal anymore which was a huge change. Warning though, as good as it is, be prepared to gain weight. I gained 10kg in six weeks and being already overweight I decided to discontinue its use and try something else.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2015 2:11 AM

Review by mfsjhc (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: This has seriously been my miracle. After trying 5 different SSRIs with horrible side effects, Remeron literally saved my life. I was given it during a hospital stay (I was suicidal). The only side effects I've experienced were sleepiness (in the first few weeks) and increased appetite (ongoing). Personally, my depression caused me to have no appetite at all, so the increased appetite was a welcome effect, although it may not be for others. I can sleep, I can eat, and - most importantly - I can live. I can get out of bed in the morning and live my life. I am on 45 mg once a day (at night). With this medication, in combination with CBT and mindfulness meditation, my depression is almost completely gone.

December 30, 2014 10:27 AM

Review by Thedarkrose:

For Insomnia: Long story short, chronic insomnia for years, got really bad about a year ago, even benzodiazepines stopped working. Remeron works somewhat even where benzodiazepines have failed. I'm up to 3-5 hours of continuous sleep per night from ~45mins of spread sleep per 24-72 hours. It's not perfect yet but it's definitely on a good path! Only thing slightly troubling is that I gained 20lbs in 1 month (my insomnia had caused some severe weight loss and appetite suppression so since Remeron helps with appetite AND causes weight gain, as well as having stopped amphetamines for my ADHD, my renewed appetite might have made me over indulge too much) I definitively recommend this to anyone with either insomnia or appetite issues (of the lower end obviously)

December 21, 2014 1:26 AM

Review by Anonnie:

For Depression: I've been taking this for probably 3 months now. I feel like a completely different person. I went from not being able to get out of bed or do anything at all because I didn't have any energy to being able to do whatever I wanted/needed to do. I also struggle with anxiety and it has not helped me at all in that aspect. I've tried several medications for anxiety and nothing has helped the least bit yet. Otherwise, I feel great!

December 16, 2014 11:59 PM

Review by redhot3195:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Great medication ...miracle.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 9:07 PM

Review by d_88 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I have had insomnia related to anxiety for about 6 years, exasperated by shift work and taking Citalopram. Took me ages to fall asleep (some nights couldn't sleep at all and this induced panic attacks) and waking atleast 3 times throughout the night. Finally referred to a sleep disorder service by NHS (uk) and my consultant prescribed this at 15mg. I fall asleep within an hour of taking usually. It has really helped! Feels like a nice natural sleepy state and not overly drowsy like you can get with sleeping pills. Reduced amount of times I wake also. However, I now have cold sweats every morning which wakes me up, they start from around 6am and continue till I wake up. Going to see my doc about this as they are becoming unbearable.

December 15, 2014 7:41 PM

Review by NY 50 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Have often extremely severe chronic depression/anxiety and Crohn's disease. My Crohn's Disease can give me a great deal of acid reflux so much to where I now have a hiatal hernia. Remeron did wonders for not only my MDD mixed with an SSRI (Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, etc) settled my stomach and helped me sleep a bit better. It doesn't work very well any longer for sleep. I tried getting off it at one point and I went totally mental! It was only initially making me constipated for the first month , but it helps me hang on somehow.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by CampbellW:

For Anxiety: I suffered from awful anxiety for years. I tried a wide range of antidepressants and nothing ever worked. This medicine saved my life. Within days of trying it I was off of Ambien and Ativan which I had needed to sleep and function. It did make me super hungry and I did gain weight. But whats a few pounds to trade in for happiness. If I ever suffered severe anxiety problems again, I would try it in a second. It was actually one of the very first medicines my doctor recommended, but I did not try it due to possible liver side effects. That was a big mistake. I wasted years on the anti-depressant roller coaster. If it wasn't for the increased appetite, I would gladly pop one of those little miracle pills every night for the rest of my life.

December 3, 2014 7:26 PM

Review by em83:

For Insomnia: I love this med, literal life saver! having trouble sleeping for many years, only sleeping every 2 sometimes 3 night. I was like the living dead, a real life zoombie, couldn't think or function & could not deal with stress. since the first night I took this, it's turned my life around. I feel alive again. i only take one after trying to sleep naturally. if I don't fall asleep within an hour or two I take one 15 mg tab. usually half hour later & it's lights out, don't remember a thing. I do notice if I try to go to the bathroom before I've fallen asleep, I do feel slightly groggy, a little drunk. but that's long gone by the morning & I function & deal with stress better than I ever have before. no weight gain yet, need to gain some anyway.

November 30, 2014 8:36 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Immediately helped my sleep pattern from taking the first tablet, however the vivid dreams were quite bizzare but not a concern. However I did suffer with swelling to feet and legs almost straight away, I was advised to stick with it for another month hoping the swelling would settle. Unfortunately this didn't happen and i also developed a generalised muscle ache which was quite annoying as my anxiety and mood had improved quite significantly.

November 25, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by stratton7 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I've been on Remeron for 3 weeks now, and I feel somewhat better, I could not take other antidepressants because they made me a ton more anxious and out of it, like I wanted to crawl out of my skin, I've had a really tough time the last year and half and I'm hoping that this works for me, the only problem I'm having is I just can't seem to wake up in the morning and I'm still feeling very lethargic all day, I'm very sensitive to all medications so I have to move up very slowly, I just moved up to 18.75 mg, and I'm still really tired and I have a hard time functioning during the day, my doctor said he is going to slowly move me up too 30mg, I guess I am just wondering if anyone else out there has gone through the same thing I am going through

November 23, 2014 8:54 AM

Review by 1McGeo:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for : I was prescribed 15 mg for acute insomnia and the first night I fell asleep so well, it felt like my eye lids were heavy, then the vivid dream came. This continued for a week, and I was so groggy, had trouble coming out, but it is supposed to work better the longer you take it, and I am sorry I did not use this medicine longer. I am going to get it again and try a full 30 days and see. Looking forward to a nights sleep. Ambien is great, but the side effects are too much for me, but everyone reacts differently to these medicines.

November 22, 2014 2:53 PM

Review by Bird4:

For Depression: I take 30mg a night and have for almost a year. It has helped enormously with my intense anxiety/panic attacks and depression, overall, but I wake up with a feeling of unease every morning, similar to being in a dark depression. It takes 1-2 hours to wear off and then I'm fine. I was hoping after several months this would resolve, but it's persistent, and I'm thinking of asking my psychiatrist to change medicines now.

November 10, 2014 11:11 AM

Review by Medic14 (taken for less than 1 month):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: I have suffered from severe disabling anxiety and depression for over a year now. I'm a paramedic, and father of 2 children and it greatly affected by ability to work, or even go to work and also my ability to enjoy my children when I had them. Lost 30-40lbs. After trying every SSRI on the market for 4 weeks and finally developing suicidal thoughts I checked myself in to a hospital. Within 4 days of starting Rememron- depression was completely relieved. Still have anxiety at times, no panic attacks. VERY FEW SIDE EFFECTS. Had sweating the first 2 days, that's it. GREAT MEDICINE FOR ME!!!!!!! I'm eating again and feeling great!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2014 2:45 PM