User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 9 reviews 13 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 15 reviews 5 medications

6.8
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 503 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Mirtazapine

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Started on 15mg 1 week ago now. My very first impressions were awful- I was so tired and groggy, as well as ravenously hungry. I am not sure why I was given this drug; I specifically said I do not have trouble sleeping, in fact, I sleep too much when I am low and I am overweight to boot. Now I have a great excuse to retreat to bed because I am tired a lot of the time and when I am not tired my brain feels foggy and my short term memory is fuzzy. I do physically demanding work that I can't keep up with well at the moment. As for my mood, I am definitely more irritable and no less low so far but I will give this another week and see what happens."

Twitch123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2016

For Depression: "I went on this drug for insomnia, it helped me sleep but mirtazapine made me very depressed. I lacked motivation and my anxiety levels were worse over time. Since switching to amitriptyline I have never felt better. If this drug does not agree with you go back to your gp. Personally I think this drug is poison it stole my life for 4 years"

Samanthajlinn1234 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I have fallen in love with this med! My cyclic depression was at an all time high, suicidal ideation, hopelessness, severe anxiety and paranoia, insomnia, and ready to literally give up on life. I started on 15 mg for the first 2 days. It knocked me out and I slept very well. Bad side effect was being super groggy all day long and a little foggy. Not a big change in depression until the third or fourth day. I upped the dosage to 30 mg on the third day, and after a week I am feeling so much better! It doesn't completely knock me out right away like the first night but just makes me a little tired. I wake up ready to face the day and happy. The dreams are a little crazy but they're kind of just like fun adventures. I recommend this drug!"

Mama Gummy Bear (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2016

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I slept like the dead when I took this which was great cuz I had horrible PPD and hadn't slept in weeks. But I gained 60 lbs in two months. I would retain so much water I felt like I was going to explode. Plus, anorgasmia so I discontinued it after 9 months. Horrible withdrawal."

Chouette99 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2016

For Insomnia: "I started taking this drug 5-6 years ago. At first, it made me really dizzy like I was going to pass out. It still makes me dizzy, but I had really bad insomniac where I would hear people when I was sleeping. Plus, I used to be anorexic. Like I was 60 65 lbs before taking this. I was on 30 mg of this drug and it made me throw up. I have always been tired even before taking this drug, so that doesn't bother me. I am now on 7.5 mg and it works great except that sometimes I cannot sleep. When I have alcohol on the weekends and at night I take this drug, I sleep really well. Sometimes I still feel dizzy but I do not feel like I could pass out. My hands have always shaked even before taking this pill."

Anonymous May 21, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Post update from 3 weeks ago, im now 4 weeks in on 30mg but have decided to taper off due to the weight gain and dizziness. I'm now 203lbs after gaining another 8 pounds from increasing to 30mg from 15mg. In a total of 10 weeks from starting this medication from 7.5mg i gained 20 pounds and 3 inches on my waist. The side effects unfortunately out weigh the benefits. This medication just makes you want to eat anything in sight. I feel like a fat blob where 10 weeks ago i was somewhat fit. I can't control the carb and sugar cravings. Onto the next med i guess!"

Bubzzzzzzz May 20, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was on Sertraline but was struggling with sleep, the doctor prescribed 15mg Mirtazapine and it was great, helped me sleep and also great for anxiety and intrusive thoughts. Like many other users, I did feel groggy in the mornings and I also noticed some minor restlessness but the positives are far more numerous than the negatives."

PSeel (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

For Anxiety: "Well this medication worked well for me for the first few years but as time went on the side effects got gradually worse. I'm am now totally paranoid and suffering from severe anxiety disorder. I am trying to come off this medication to deal with these side effects. To anyone taking this medication get off it now before you end up like I did. And despite what your doctor tells you it is a addictive!! Worst mistake of my life.."

JohnnyD2003 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 17, 2016

For Insomnia: "15mg was too stimulating (actually made me feel jittery) but 7.5 did help me fall asleep faster and sleep longer. Stopped working at all after a few months so I'm tapering off. I did not experience any increase in appetite, though I did gain a few pounds (which I was able to lose while on the Mirt.). Side effects were tolerable: dry mouth, slight headache. I confess that I'm jealous that so many people find this med super sedating - it just didn't work that way for me!"

Stillsleepless (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2016

For Anxiety: "Having taken citalopram for 6 weeks my anxiety was awful - every morning from 3 or 4am onwards. First mirtazapine tablet was like a miracle - I slept well and for far longer and had zero early morning anxiety. Taking 15 mg which makes me a little drowsy (just 6 days in) but nothing too bad and well worth it to feel normal again."

No longer anxious May 12, 2016

For Anxiety: "Panic attacks, anger attacks, obsessive thoughts and checking money, suicidal thoughts only thankfully, i was hitting my legs with my fists, anxiety and depression, under eating lack, of sleep not able to focus on work. I started off with 7.5mg mirt. The first night knocked me out! The next morning I was groggy as heck, felt drugged.Finally though I was able to eat. This went on for about 4 days. I continued 7.5 mg for another week and then increased to 15mg. I have never been this calm in my life, it is weird i actually can eat and sleep, my acne is subsiding. I feel myself slowly coming back back. I still suffer from depression and anxiety but everything else including my sleep is finally a pattern. I am able to fall asleep"

Hopeful life May 11, 2016

For Insomnia: "I've been taking this for 4 weeks. The positives: falling asleep faster, rested after fully waking up, feeling motivated the next day. The negatives: waking up with a headache, slight constipation, increased appetite, forgetfulness. I'm on 15 mgs and it seems to be working. Make sure that when you feel hungry, drink something first. I find I am just thirsty, not really hungry. Going to take Aleve/Advil/Tylenol like pain reliever when I take this medication at bedtime to see if I can avoid the morning headache. Don't give up!"

Dyangurl (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

For Depression: "My first week experience taking Mirtazapine 15mg nightly. Night 1 - Slept for 14 hours straight. Woke up groggy, mind foggy with dry mouth, lethargy and a voracious appetite. Not a good start. Nights 2-4 - slept really badly each night. By day 5 I felt like a zombie slurring words and forgetting even the basics like people's names. Thought about calling the dr and getting off this medication. Nights 5-7 - decided to take medication an hour before bed (instead of just before bedtime) BIG improvement. Woke up day 6 feeling refreshed, clear of mind and full of energy. Still had the appetite and dry mouth but I wanted to do things and the things I always enjoyed doing! Great feeling. This seems to be working for me. I will continue taking it"

Mike in the UK (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Have had a good experience overall with this medication, with an improvement in general symptoms(major depressive disorder). Although I have had nightmares, passing peripheral edema plus unexplained 10 point increase in blood pressure, as side effects. These have been much less and more tolerable than the side effects of the other medications I have used, as listed next. I have also used cymbalta, effexor, allegron and valdoxin (in order of my opinion of there effectiveness) with cymbalta/valdoxin in combination for a period (over 18 months). I have also undergone ECT. If I had this information when I started I would have chosen this medication as a starting point."

Blended (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

For Depression: "Terrible. Only took one time and slept for 12 hours straight. Woke up for work and felt out of it half of the day. Will never take it again"

Melandjas May 1, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "mirtazapine is a fancy name for a knock out sedative. Depending on the sensitivity of your brain. Taking it, puts you in a sleep state instantly and you never really wake up until 3 days when you return to your previous state. I feel that these drugs tend to push you more into a depressed state rather than take you out of it. In my experience, lifestyle decisions will be far more effective in the long term, otherwise you will remain on these drugs forever, making drug cos wealthier on your dependancy."

crazyandy May 1, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was started on 30 mg a month ago and within past week have been upped to 45 mg. Seems to help me sleep better than I was. I just hope the effects don't stop and it continues to help with my sleep as well as my depression. I have been a ginny pig for over 20 years to these psych meds. I have not noticed any of the horrific side effects people are experiencing. Also have to determine if side effects out weigh the benefit. No hangover effect and no tiredness throughout day! It has done wonders for me thus far."

Queenb30 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I'm about 4 weeks in on 15mg slowly transitioning to 30mg. I'm a 6'2 male in my mid 30's and before i began Mirtz i was 182 pounds. Today i'm 199 pounds in just 4 weeks! One other condition this drug is used for is an appetite stimulant and i can see why as i will eat anything anyone puts in front of me. I feel like an ogre now when i eat, literally can eat 2 full meals at a time. Trying to exercise more to fight off the crazy gains. Overall i'm taking this for Major depression, anxiety and insomnia. So far so good for those 3, things are slowly getting better. The dreams from Mirtz are crazy! Every night is a new adventure. Don't feel too groggy the next day. I will post an update in a few weeks once the 30mg has a chance to kick in."

Bubzzzzzzz (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2016

For Anxiety: "Id write more except I cant focus for long. Citalopram made me suicidal, hate that drug with a passion. Doctor gave me this, its yet to help with my anxiety or panic attacks (2 weeks in 30mg). Side effects are not great: The most horrific and graphic nightmares I've ever had in my life which make me wake up in tears. The problem here is that this drug makes me sleep for 10 hours so theres no escaping these dreams, then when I wake up i just have these disturbing images in my head all day which makes my anxiety worse. my anger is unreal and not an aggressive person in general. Another thing is I cannot sit still, i have to be moving all the time from the second I wake up. Concentration is non existent..."

Joshrw6 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

For Anxiety: "Bad. Way to many Side effects and effects on too many neurotransmitters. Awful. Interacted with my clonidine and tagamet. Put me in hospital. Rather be depressed"

Bryant73 April 21, 2016

For Depression: "Overall this has helped , I can handle most things far better than I used to , it takes the edge of things . Sleep is better . I used to get such a dry mouth but letting the ortho disposable tablet dissolve a little then taking water helps . I do still occasionally feel spaced out and I have put on weight ."

Bettie1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2016

For Depression: "45 mg.Taking this med for depression and anxiety.Insomnia is my main issue. Mirtazapine doesn't help with insomnia at all. To me it's kind of a joke that this actually helps people sleep. I'm very happy for those people. For myself, however, mirtazapine doesn't work AT ALL for sleep, and if anything, just gets me in this wierd grogged state w/ confusing thoughts and waking up from them constantly. It seems to have a very modest effect on depression and anxiety. It seems that I have had less anxiety overall, and i have random times where i get really depressed and then i snap out of it for an hour or two and attempt productive stuff.But honestly,I think it's just my own attitude change and not the med.Not many noticable bad side FX otherwise"

Akester1 April 20, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was just reading about this lady that said she had to change medication because of drug test's at her work. Well if you have a perscription from your doctor you don't have to worry about the results of the screening. Take it from the horses mouth,,,,mine."

brooklynmann April 20, 2016

For Depression: "Six weeks in on this stuff and I can't say I've noticed a massive difference. For one day I had euphoria, everything seemed OK again, my problems seemed a challenge and I was filled with joy from "waking up" from a fearful monochrome life. Then after that initial carefree break I was mostly back to normal with slightly less depression. I'm staying as positive as I can though, crying less, feeling less overwhelmed and battling things that make me uncomfortable. Avoiding 30mg for as long as I can. Seretonergic drugs = tired and transiently 'drunk'/disconnected, at least for me. For now, 15mg is my crutch for getting through the day. Things suck ever so slightly less now."

ponystarfish (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

For Depression: "Don't keep away from this drug, it's a lifesaver. If you have life threatening major depression not just feeling down. For the first time in months I slept for a good 7hrs and it was restful sleep not like diazepam sleep. I literally woke the next morning after my first dose and I knew I was gonna be ok. After months of fighting for my sanity, trying different drugs, I felt I had found salvation. If your literally struggling every hour to fight off the infinitive sadness and despair of real depressive illness then this drug may well be your pathway out of it. If you are just a neurotic daytime time tv addict couch potato then this drug won't help you."

Sanctus April 16, 2016