Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 3 reviews 13 medications

7.5
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 275 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Mirtazapine

Review by jeffdotcooper (taken for less than 1 month):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: 30 mg. dosage; What to possibly expect based on my experience. Day 1. I was extremely tired & if I let my head hit the pillow, I would experience micro sleep. I felt a little dizzy at times. Be careful around stairs if you suffer from vertigo. Functionality was delayed - my mind was in a cloud & it was difficult to work or concentrate on something that required deep attention. Day2. I felt hungover. Hypersensitive to sounds, meaning that my mind would abnormally jolt to a greater sense of attention to a noise than before. The dizziness remained but at a decreased level. Day 3. Almost normal; just slightly tired.

October 3, 2014 6:57 AM

Review by Jennifreckles (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: During a really worrying period with one of my children I found I couldn't sleep and would lie awake with pounding heart and shaking. This meant I found terrible during the day and it just got worse and worse. I eventually was referred to a Psychiatrist who prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg. Well the first night I slept all night! I was very groggy in the morning. Gradually the grogginess lessened. I found that because I was getting a good nights restful sleep I started to improve. It really was like a miracle for me. I have been on it now for about 18 months, the family crisis is over and I want to get off now if I can. so I have started taking just 7.5mg will see how I go with that for a while then hopefully stop altogether.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 6:41 PM

Review by Anxiety&OCD:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Was on citalopram for my anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder for 10yrs. It stopped working unfortunately and my doctor switched me to Mirtazapine as I also wasn't eating well. So pleased as now I'm eating, my anxiety & OCD is under control. I recommend this medicine.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 28, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by Cazxx:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I was on Citalopram for 10yrs for my anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. I've always struggled to eat on that medication though, so I went to my doctor who decided to switch me to Mirtazapine.. I cross tapered medication over a 4 week period to reduced citalopram withdrawal. I started on 15mg of Mirtazapine for a week then my dose was upped to 30mg. I'm so pleased with the results. I feel calmer than I have for years, and I'm also eating again which is a big thing for me as when my anxiety is bad I lose my appetite. It's also controlling my obsessive compulsive disorder symptoms well. I love this medication. I take it an hour before I go to bed and I sleep for 8 hours and feel refreshed the next day. It also has less side effects than SSRI's.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 5:49 AM

Review by AnonAnonAnon (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: Probably the best antidepressant I've taken in terms of overall effect and side effects (minimal side effects). Also, I noted the improvement in days, vs weeks for SSRI/SNRI's. It's not like being hit by a dose of Ritalin but just was a general sense of wanting to get back in the game, feeling ok, but not "locked in" - still have a good range of emotions.

September 16, 2014 2:50 PM

Review by xyz123:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I had been taking Restoril for sleep for several years. I found that my level of depression was worsening over time and I had to take more and more to sleep. Finally, I decided that I needed to get off of the Restoril. My doctor prescribed Remeron. I have been taking it for several weeks now and find that my mood has improved as well as my sleep. I am down to 1/2 of the Restoril I was taking before and hopefully may be able to discontinue it. The only downside of Remeron is that my appetite has increased, which is not good for me. Otherwise, I would have rated this as a 10.

September 16, 2014 7:25 AM

Review by sam1234abc:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Once I got over the initial cravings and groggyness (they both passed after a few weeks) it was like a dark cloud was lifted and I could finally see clearly - completely without the classic numbness and lack of personality that other common anti-depressants have. Absolute life changer.

August 19, 2014 1:54 AM

Review by dcubed:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Anxiety: Have had generalized and social anxiety for as long as I can remember. Was on Klonopin 1.0 to 1.5 mg twice a day (about 15 years) along with propranolol 20 mg twice a day. I decided at the beginning of this year that I was going to try to wean myself off Klonopin as getting a script every month for Klonopin is a pain. I started Remeron 5 months ago at 15mg than 22.5mg and in no time my anxiety level went down. I was also on Vyvanse to counter depression from long term Klonopin which I replaced with Wellbutrin. With Remeron/Wellbutrin combination I am down to 0.5mg twice a day Klonopin which I never dreamed was possible. I plan on going on Lyrica or Neurontin to help wean off Klonopin for good.

August 13, 2014 6:35 PM

Review by muninn42 (taken for less than 1 month):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: I have several issues and was given Remeron along with Seroquel and Tegretol, I take it at night and I sleep now, its pretty amazing but I'm so tired after taking it that I can't keep my eyes open no matter what. In the 3 weeks I have been on it I have gained 3lbs which is awesome for me. I hope the sleepiness dies down some as it is a bit strong for me, but overall this is a great medicine.

August 8, 2014 5:03 PM

Review by Jasper_839 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: I have suffered from insomnia for the majority of my adult life. It seems like my mind does not want to slow down. I now take 30 mg of Remeron at bedtime, and I must say that it is an amazing medication. I do tend to be a bit groggy when I first get up, but like the post earlier, it is nothing compared to the "walking dead" feeling that insomnia gave me. I highly recommend it.

July 31, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by steverh (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was on Remeron for about 2 years before. Helped very very much with my depression. But although I often felt very sleepy near the beginning of the treatment, the massive fatigue eventually subsided to an acceptable level. 20-mins after taking it, I'm ready for bed I can't keep my eyes open no matter what. I just restarted Remeron two days ago, after more than a year being on it. As I type this, I feel fogged over, sort of sleepy, and immensely "munchie". As before when I took it, I'd find myself waking up several times a night going to raid the fridge and cabinets for munchie or sweet foods (and meats! definitely craved meat all the time). So again, on Remeron: eating again, sleeping some, more relaxed, less sad.

July 20, 2014 9:05 AM

Review by blableblabla:

For Anxiety: After a run of horrific life experiences, I had terrible panic attacks and went to hospital emergency several time thinking I was having a heart attack. Interestingly, I started on 15mg and could hardly wake during the day, missed meetings and appointments as I'd sleep through them. My doctor told me that paradoxically, the drowsiness tends to stop at a higher dose. I started 30mg and almost immediately my energy in the morning came back. I haven't had any panic attacks and have achieved more in the last 6 months than I had the 3 years prior. I'm laughing and enjoying life. If you feel tired and low in energy on the low dose, then ask your doctor about a higher dose. Don't give up on this. This medicine has given me my life back.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 7:20 AM

Review by guyme (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Pros: Helps with sleep, Lessens anxiety. Cons: Weight gain, Fatigue during the day, Suicidal thoughts, Depression still.

July 13, 2014 5:45 AM

Review by Max M:

For Insomnia: I have been using Remeron for sleep on and off for a couple of years. This is the only non-habit forming one I know of that really works. I take a tiny dose-- about 2 mg, or 1/8th of a 15 mg tablet (which is tricky to do with a pill cutter). Best results if I take it an hour or two before bedtime. Sleep quality usually very good. Only side effect is minor grogginess, which is nothing compared to what happens with insomnia. I recommend it very highly. Too bad it's not better known in the medical community.

July 9, 2014 9:37 AM

Review by Brida:

For Insomnia: I became extremely suicidal. Just starting to get better now with Wellbutrin. Be careful.

July 8, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by Not Sleepy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Remeron SolTab (mirtazapine) for : Excellent medication, only thing to work after twenty years of sleeplessness and trying everything. Takes a few weeks to get used to it, the grogginess etc lift with time. Use the weight gain as an excuse to exercise more, make it a win win situation. I take 7.5mgs and take it two to three hours before bedtime, this way I wake up more refreshed, and some evenings I go without it just to give myself a break.

June 28, 2014 1:43 PM

Review by brett352 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: Mirtazapine can work wonders for anyone struggling with insomnia, in my case caused by anxiety. Significant improvement from day 1, and has persisted for my 6 months of treatment. You'll feel like a zombie for several days, but don't let that bother you. After about a week or two, I was able to wake up at my normal time and feel good heading into work. Perhaps some benefit, although less noticeable for anxiety in general. But again, for insomnia this is a lifesaver. Went from 157 lbs to 164 but I've also been lifting weights and working out more, so no issue there. Good luck!

June 23, 2014 7:53 PM

Review by Kaz79 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I started this medication following a breakdown and it really helped me. But, 6 years down the line and after gaining 3 stone in weight it wasn't good for me anymore. I'm now on venlafaxine. Feeling queasy but already lost 4lbs in 3days!!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 6:05 AM

Review by LucAUS (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I have been on many medications and this seems to be working the best. So far so good and only getting better. I have never really been depressed but I did feel weird and used to worry all the time and couldn't work out why (ANXIETY). I have been misdiagnosed with ADHD and BI Polar. All those medications made me worse (Zyprexa, Lovan, Lithium, Carbamazapine, Effexor). I now take 15mg of mirtazapine before bed and have accomplished more in 6 weeks then I have in years because I don't have that weird feeling hovering around me anymore. I think it would be wise for parents with "ADHD" kids to get another opinion because it could just be anxiety causing concentration problems.

June 16, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by hendrixx:

For Insomnia: I had chronic insomnia due to massive anxiety, I'm now on mirtazapine 30mg and olanzapine 5mg. It fixed my problem from the first day. I'm now sleeping well (the only negative is at every night I see dreams), I also wake up like a normal human. My anxiety is ok but its not all gone, perhaps I need more time. So I guess 9 stars is a good rate!

June 8, 2014 12:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: It works very good for sleep as I have chronic insomnia due to severe anxiety, major depression. I didn't take it yesterday and barely slept good. What I hate is the drowsy feeling it makes during day does it go away? This pill made my birthday a fine day I made a day outside feeling OK.

May 23, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by grace1159:

For Depression: I started Remeron as an add on to Lamictal. Since then, I've had swelling of legs. Loss of weight. Abnormal dreams (nightmares) and wake up with palpitations about 2 hours after taking. I've had to take antibiotics every month for sinus infection and urinary tract infection. No help with depression after 1 year and just want off this medicine. Have pain in liver area too. That's at 15mg. Also, muscle pain and arthritis symptoms.

May 17, 2014 2:08 AM

Review by nickname (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: After being prescribed Zoloft, Lexapro, etc., over the past 5 years for my "anxiety", I finally found this medication actually chills my constant anxiety. Mind you, I have never been depressed. I take it at night before bed (15 mg), and it slowly puts me to sleep, unlike Ambien. I do have vivid dreams but I wake up feeling well rested and with energy. Unlike Ambien, which stayed with me the next day and zapped my energy. I say, please give this a try for your anxiety. If you are more depressed, you might need another medicine. I found all the antidepressants I've tried for my anxiety, make me more anxious and oddly, depressed. I hope this helps those with mild to moderate anxiety, as it did myself.

May 15, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by draxlerjasmine (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I started on Zoloft, which only made the anxiety worse. Got put on Remeron after a hospital stay and it has changed my life. Started at 15mg and then shortly after increasing to 30mg. I did gain 30lbs on it due to craving sweets constantly so I tried switching to Effexor, only again having my anxiety going out of control again. I went back on Remeron 30mg and I am back to my old self. I sleep very well on this medication which for me is so much nicer despite the weight gain.

May 14, 2014 1:10 PM

Review by M89 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I had high hopes for this medicines. I was suicidal and eventually broke down and told my psychologist. For the recovery process, I had my heart set on the combination of Effexor (venlafaxine) and Seroquel (quietapine) as I know these both work effectively in my system. Now wasn't the time to play about with a new medication but of course the psychiatrist knows best... am I right? Well, 7 days in and it's completely wiped out my cognition. I'm normally a good driver and for several years I've had no real issues, but within half an hour of driving today I nearly caused two accidents. I am so annoyed with the psychiatrist... they think they know everything but know so little about the medication they prescribe.

May 14, 2014 11:50 AM