User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Insomnia 51 reviews 98 medications

7.6
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 264 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Mirtazapine

Review by steverh (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was on Remeron for about 2 years before. Helped very very much with my depression. But although I often felt very sleepy near the beginning of the treatment, the massive fatigue eventually subsided to an acceptable level. 20-mins after taking it, I'm ready for bed I can't keep my eyes open no matter what. I just restarted Remeron two days ago, after more than a year being on it. As I type this, I feel fogged over, sort of sleepy, and immensely "munchie". As before when I took it, I'd find myself waking up several times a night going to raid the fridge and cabinets for munchie or sweet foods (and meats! definitely craved meat all the time). So again, on Remeron: eating again, sleeping some, more relaxed, less sad.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2014 9:05 AM

Review by blableblabla:

For Anxiety: After a run of horrific life experiences, I had terrible panic attacks and went to hospital emergency several time thinking I was having a heart attack. Interestingly, I started on 15mg and could hardly wake during the day, missed meetings and appointments as I'd sleep through them. My doctor told me that paradoxically, the drowsiness tends to stop at a higher dose. I started 30mg and almost immediately my energy in the morning came back. I haven't had any panic attacks and have achieved more in the last 6 months than I had the 3 years prior. I'm laughing and enjoying life. If you feel tired and low in energy on the low dose, then ask your doctor about a higher dose. Don't give up on this. This medicine has given me my life back.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 7:20 AM

Review by guyme (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Pros: Helps with sleep, Lessens anxiety. Cons: Weight gain, Fatigue during the day, Suicidal thoughts, Depression still.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2014 5:45 AM

Review by Max M:

For Insomnia: I have been using Remeron for sleep on and off for a couple of years. This is the only non-habit forming one I know of that really works. I take a tiny dose-- about 2 mg, or 1/8th of a 15 mg tablet (which is tricky to do with a pill cutter). Best results if I take it an hour or two before bedtime. Sleep quality usually very good. Only side effect is minor grogginess, which is nothing compared to what happens with insomnia. I recommend it very highly. Too bad it's not better known in the medical community.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 9:37 AM

Review by Brida:

For Insomnia: I became extremely suicidal. Just starting to get better now with Wellbutrin. Be careful.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by Not Sleepy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Remeron SolTab (mirtazapine) for : Excellent medication, only thing to work after twenty years of sleeplessness and trying everything. Takes a few weeks to get used to it, the grogginess etc lift with time. Use the weight gain as an excuse to exercise more, make it a win win situation. I take 7.5mgs and take it two to three hours before bedtime, this way I wake up more refreshed, and some evenings I go without it just to give myself a break.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2014 1:43 PM

Review by brett352 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: Mirtazapine can work wonders for anyone struggling with insomnia, in my case caused by anxiety. Significant improvement from day 1, and has persisted for my 6 months of treatment. You'll feel like a zombie for several days, but don't let that bother you. After about a week or two, I was able to wake up at my normal time and feel good heading into work. Perhaps some benefit, although less noticeable for anxiety in general. But again, for insomnia this is a lifesaver. Went from 157 lbs to 164 but I've also been lifting weights and working out more, so no issue there. Good luck!

June 23, 2014 7:53 PM

Review by Kaz79 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I started this medication following a breakdown and it really helped me. But, 6 years down the line and after gaining 3 stone in weight it wasn't good for me anymore. I'm now on venlafaxine. Feeling queasy but already lost 4lbs in 3days!!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 6:05 AM

Review by LucAUS (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I have been on many medications and this seems to be working the best. So far so good and only getting better. I have never really been depressed but I did feel weird and used to worry all the time and couldn't work out why (ANXIETY). I have been misdiagnosed with ADHD and BI Polar. All those medications made me worse (Zyprexa, Lovan, Lithium, Carbamazapine, Effexor). I now take 15mg of mirtazapine before bed and have accomplished more in 6 weeks then I have in years because I don't have that weird feeling hovering around me anymore. I think it would be wise for parents with "ADHD" kids to get another opinion because it could just be anxiety causing concentration problems.

June 16, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by hendrixx:

For Insomnia: I had chronic insomnia due to massive anxiety, I'm now on mirtazapine 30mg and olanzapine 5mg. It fixed my problem from the first day. I'm now sleeping well (the only negative is at every night I see dreams), I also wake up like a normal human. My anxiety is ok but its not all gone, perhaps I need more time. So I guess 9 stars is a good rate!

June 8, 2014 12:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: It works very good for sleep as I have chronic insomnia due to severe anxiety, major depression. I didn't take it yesterday and barely slept good. What I hate is the drowsy feeling it makes during day does it go away? This pill made my birthday a fine day I made a day outside feeling OK.

May 23, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by grace1159:

For Depression: I started Remeron as an add on to Lamictal. Since then, I've had swelling of legs. Loss of weight. Abnormal dreams (nightmares) and wake up with palpitations about 2 hours after taking. I've had to take antibiotics every month for sinus infection and urinary tract infection. No help with depression after 1 year and just want off this medicine. Have pain in liver area too. That's at 15mg. Also, muscle pain and arthritis symptoms.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 17, 2014 2:08 AM

Review by nickname (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: After being prescribed Zoloft, Lexapro, etc., over the past 5 years for my "anxiety", I finally found this medication actually chills my constant anxiety. Mind you, I have never been depressed. I take it at night before bed (15 mg), and it slowly puts me to sleep, unlike Ambien. I do have vivid dreams but I wake up feeling well rested and with energy. Unlike Ambien, which stayed with me the next day and zapped my energy. I say, please give this a try for your anxiety. If you are more depressed, you might need another medicine. I found all the antidepressants I've tried for my anxiety, make me more anxious and oddly, depressed. I hope this helps those with mild to moderate anxiety, as it did myself.

May 15, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by draxlerjasmine (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I started on Zoloft, which only made the anxiety worse. Got put on Remeron after a hospital stay and it has changed my life. Started at 15mg and then shortly after increasing to 30mg. I did gain 30lbs on it due to craving sweets constantly so I tried switching to Effexor, only again having my anxiety going out of control again. I went back on Remeron 30mg and I am back to my old self. I sleep very well on this medication which for me is so much nicer despite the weight gain.

May 14, 2014 1:10 PM

Review by M89 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I had high hopes for this medicines. I was suicidal and eventually broke down and told my psychologist. For the recovery process, I had my heart set on the combination of Effexor (venlafaxine) and Seroquel (quietapine) as I know these both work effectively in my system. Now wasn't the time to play about with a new medication but of course the psychiatrist knows best... am I right? Well, 7 days in and it's completely wiped out my cognition. I'm normally a good driver and for several years I've had no real issues, but within half an hour of driving today I nearly caused two accidents. I am so annoyed with the psychiatrist... they think they know everything but know so little about the medication they prescribe.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2014 11:50 AM

Review by Sebbyboy (taken for less than 1 month):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: My main problem is a pretty bad insomnia / anxiety. I tried several natural products over the last 3 years (melatonine, Valerian root, Tea, GABA, Magnesium etc...) as well as using good sleeping habits. I just couldn't support the lack of sleep anymore (hundreds of night without sleeping in the last year) so my GP prescribed me with Zoplicone & Trazodone. It didn't work and my anxiety went pretty bad. I finally pushed my GP to prescribe Remeron. After one week I regained my sleeping cycle at 15mg. Little to no side effects for me except I feel a bit sleepy until 10AM. Really mild anti-depressant, far from SSRI really bad side & withdrawal effects. Try it without fear.

May 5, 2014 10:31 AM

Review by Sydney Carton:

For Major Depressive Disorder: This saved my life.

April 30, 2014 12:42 PM

Review by wassy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Having taken mirtazapine for a couple of months, they have helped my sleep pattern calm down, and I feel a bit better. Sleep and tiredness were my two worst enemies, but these tablets have helped it very much.

April 27, 2014 7:33 PM

Review by Sill (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Excellent and I love that it increases my appetite since I have a hard time eating. Helps calm me so I can sleep.

April 26, 2014 10:41 PM

Review by John TA:

For Insomnia: Most people should consider exercise and a better diet to help with sleep and also despression. Exercise can help. Also get away from the TV and computer before sleep. Mirtazapine is probably the best sleep aid I have ever used. The more expensive sleep drugs are less effective especially if you are worried and mind is racing. You can wake up groggy but it sure beats not getting any sleep. I try to not rely on it that much but it can be a Godsend. It is also very inexpensive. I usually take the 15 mg tabs and cut them into quarters. The only reason I am posting this is hopefully it will help someone with insomnia. It is highly effective.

April 22, 2014 1:09 AM

Review by LMF1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I find this medication amazing! I can sleep really well on it although I have quite epic dreams which I remember when I wake up. Mirtazapine makes me feel peaceful and calm. I feel in control, less panicked and with the added bonus of sleep I feel my overall mental health is improving. My appetite has increased but I have been told that it will stabilize after 12 weeks. I have no loss of sexual function and feel more in tune with myself than ever before. I am being observed for bipolar and mood disorders. This medication is a godsend to me. Only thing I can say is if you need to be up early take it 10/12 hrs before you need to get up, I take it between 7 and 8pm and get up fresh at 7am.

April 17, 2014 5:03 PM

Review by braddo1972:

For Anxiety: At first it was great for sleep which is the cause of my anxiety. I'm having some good night's and a couple of bad nights more good than bad.

April 5, 2014 4:02 PM

Review by garrettm11 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I was seriously depressed! Thought I would never be the same. Remeron has been a lifesaver! It took 2 weeks before I started to feel the effects and at 5 weeks I feel like my old self. Side effects for me were sleepiness in the first week and has not been bad since. A few headaches and alot of eating, but I need the weight anyways. Don't let the weight side effects keep you from trying Remeron. They will subside. Give this medicine a try. Well worth it.

March 25, 2014 10:47 PM

Review by SSue13:

For Depression: This has given me my life back combined with Cymbalta. I haven't felt this good in years.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2014 5:48 AM

Review by Susan W. (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: Started taking it for sleep and it works like a charm. Big problem? I knew I was packing on the pounds due to winter, etc., but was mortified when I went to the doctor today and got weighed. Twenty pounds in 3 months? I'm don't want to stop taking it, so I'm trying to break 15 mg. tabs in half. I can say that I will HAVE to find an alternative if that doesn't do the trick. The weight gain far outweighs any benefits I've gotten.

March 22, 2014 1:11 AM