User Reviews for Mirtazapine

Also known as: Remeron, Remeron SolTab

Learn more about Mirtazapine.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 3 reviews 13 medications

7.6
Summary of Mirtazapine reviews 295 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Mirtazapine

Review by Sheikh Yabhouti:

For Insomnia: Was only sleeping 2-3 hours a night, some nights none at all. This on top of house, kids and a stressfull job, I was a walking mess. Started taking mirtazapine on my doctor's advice and it has changed my life completely. No stress and I sleep like a baby.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2015 12:53 PM

Review by coxysmelons93 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Works far better than any SSRI but I do still have symptoms of anxiety. I also take Diazepam when I feel an episode of severe anxiety coming on. Haven't been on it for that long though. Physiological symptoms like heart racing etc. Have already decreased so looking good.

January 24, 2015 1:05 PM

Review by coxysmelons93 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Made quite a difference quite fast to hypervigliance and anxiety symptoms. I am no longer as scared as I was sitting in my own house at night. It's no miracle, no medicine will ever take away the memories but this definitely improves functioning.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2015 1:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: This medicine is working well. I no longer suffer with severe depression.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 5:54 AM

Review by SmoothSailings:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: I didn't experience a crazy increase in appetite, however I did gain motivation that I previously didn't have to go to the gym and lift weights which helped me put my weight back on. Side effects for me included slight numbness of the tongue and I feel like I mumble a lot because of that. Side effects do not bother me due to the fact that I feel so much better because of the medicine.

January 5, 2015 10:12 PM

Review by mfsjhc (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: This has seriously been my miracle. After trying 5 different SSRIs with horrible side effects, Remeron literally saved my life. I was given it during a hospital stay (I was suicidal). The only side effects I've experienced were sleepiness (in the first few weeks) and increased appetite (ongoing). Personally, my depression caused me to have no appetite at all, so the increased appetite was a welcome effect, although it may not be for others. I can sleep, I can eat, and - most importantly - I can live. I can get out of bed in the morning and live my life. I am on 45 mg once a day (at night). With this medication, in combination with CBT and mindfulness meditation, my depression is almost completely gone.

December 30, 2014 10:27 AM

Review by Anonnie:

For Depression: I've been taking this for probably 3 months now. I feel like a completely different person. I went from not being able to get out of bed or do anything at all because I didn't have any energy to being able to do whatever I wanted/needed to do. I also struggle with anxiety and it has not helped me at all in that aspect. I've tried several medications for anxiety and nothing has helped the least bit yet. Otherwise, I feel great!

December 16, 2014 11:59 PM

Review by redhot3195:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Great medication ...miracle.

December 16, 2014 9:07 PM

Review by NY 50 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Have often extremely severe chronic depression/anxiety and Crohn's disease. My Crohn's Disease can give me a great deal of acid reflux so much to where I now have a hiatal hernia. Remeron did wonders for not only my MDD mixed with an SSRI (Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, etc) settled my stomach and helped me sleep a bit better. It doesn't work very well any longer for sleep. I tried getting off it at one point and I went totally mental! It was only initially making me constipated for the first month , but it helps me hang on somehow.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by CampbellW:

For Anxiety: I suffered from awful anxiety for years. I tried a wide range of antidepressants and nothing ever worked. This medicine saved my life. Within days of trying it I was off of Ambien and Ativan which I had needed to sleep and function. It did make me super hungry and I did gain weight. But whats a few pounds to trade in for happiness. If I ever suffered severe anxiety problems again, I would try it in a second. It was actually one of the very first medicines my doctor recommended, but I did not try it due to possible liver side effects. That was a big mistake. I wasted years on the anti-depressant roller coaster. If it wasn't for the increased appetite, I would gladly pop one of those little miracle pills every night for the rest of my life.

December 3, 2014 7:26 PM

Review by em83:

For Insomnia: I love this med, literal life saver! having trouble sleeping for many years, only sleeping every 2 sometimes 3 night. I was like the living dead, a real life zoombie, couldn't think or function & could not deal with stress. since the first night I took this, it's turned my life around. I feel alive again. i only take one after trying to sleep naturally. if I don't fall asleep within an hour or two I take one 15 mg tab. usually half hour later & it's lights out, don't remember a thing. I do notice if I try to go to the bathroom before I've fallen asleep, I do feel slightly groggy, a little drunk. but that's long gone by the morning & I function & deal with stress better than I ever have before. no weight gain yet, need to gain some anyway.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2014 8:36 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Immediately helped my sleep pattern from taking the first tablet, however the vivid dreams were quite bizzare but not a concern. However I did suffer with swelling to feet and legs almost straight away, I was advised to stick with it for another month hoping the swelling would settle. Unfortunately this didn't happen and i also developed a generalised muscle ache which was quite annoying as my anxiety and mood had improved quite significantly.

November 25, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by stratton7 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I've been on Remeron for 3 weeks now, and I feel somewhat better, I could not take other antidepressants because they made me a ton more anxious and out of it, like I wanted to crawl out of my skin, I've had a really tough time the last year and half and I'm hoping that this works for me, the only problem I'm having is I just can't seem to wake up in the morning and I'm still feeling very lethargic all day, I'm very sensitive to all medications so I have to move up very slowly, I just moved up to 18.75 mg, and I'm still really tired and I have a hard time functioning during the day, my doctor said he is going to slowly move me up too 30mg, I guess I am just wondering if anyone else out there has gone through the same thing I am going through

November 23, 2014 8:54 AM

Review by 1McGeo:

Remeron (mirtazapine) for : I was prescribed 15 mg for acute insomnia and the first night I fell asleep so well, it felt like my eye lids were heavy, then the vivid dream came. This continued for a week, and I was so groggy, had trouble coming out, but it is supposed to work better the longer you take it, and I am sorry I did not use this medicine longer. I am going to get it again and try a full 30 days and see. Looking forward to a nights sleep. Ambien is great, but the side effects are too much for me, but everyone reacts differently to these medicines.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 2:53 PM

Review by Bird4:

For Depression: I take 30mg a night and have for almost a year. It has helped enormously with my intense anxiety/panic attacks and depression, overall, but I wake up with a feeling of unease every morning, similar to being in a dark depression. It takes 1-2 hours to wear off and then I'm fine. I was hoping after several months this would resolve, but it's persistent, and I'm thinking of asking my psychiatrist to change medicines now.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2014 11:11 AM

Review by Medic14 (taken for less than 1 month):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Depression: I have suffered from severe disabling anxiety and depression for over a year now. I'm a paramedic, and father of 2 children and it greatly affected by ability to work, or even go to work and also my ability to enjoy my children when I had them. Lost 30-40lbs. After trying every SSRI on the market for 4 weeks and finally developing suicidal thoughts I checked myself in to a hospital. Within 4 days of starting Rememron- depression was completely relieved. Still have anxiety at times, no panic attacks. VERY FEW SIDE EFFECTS. Had sweating the first 2 days, that's it. GREAT MEDICINE FOR ME!!!!!!! I'm eating again and feeling great!

November 8, 2014 2:45 PM

Review by BillyRubin12:

For Insomnia: What it's supposed to do, it does very well. I was put on it for sleep and weight loss due to anxiety and depression after a stressful event in my life. I have struggled with insomnia for most of my adult life. What can I say? It was a literal life saver for me at the time. Gave me sleep and appetite back immediately and I turned around. I still take 7.5mg at night for sleep, appetite and mood and it works very well. For the first time in my life I am at a healthy weight. That being said it does not induce the crazy sweets cravings anymore. I just take it and go to bed. I sleep enough but do sometimes wake up feeling a bit groggy, but that usually goes away during the course of the day. All in all a great medication that helped me immensely

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2014 12:51 AM

Review by d1988:

For Insomnia: I've been taking Mirtazpine for about 3/4 weeks, and the change in my sleep has been life changing. I work shifts and have always had issues with sleep (based around anxiety). I'm also prescribed Citalopram 20mg which has worked fantastically for anxiety and depression, however it causes me to wake frequently during the night (a common side effect of Citalopram is insomnia). Since starting this medication, now fall asleep within 30 minutes to an hour of going to bed, and only wake up about once a night (before this was waking up at least 3 times). Only down side to this medication is I now get cold sweats every night. Wake up freezing but dripping in sweat - already had these with Citalopram but become more often since starting these.

November 4, 2014 3:02 AM

Review by LushFlush (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: Hi there! I started taking mirtazapine steadily for a few months. I commute to work, AKA sleeping on the train. When i woke up, i was totally confused as to where i was, if i allready had been at work or if i was heading to work and whatnot. That was a constant for the time i was on it. Stopped taking it coldturkey, worked fine. But the thing you guys should be aware of, is that its like putting a blanket over your brain the first weeks. I got jumpy, skittish and in general grumpy/agressive. If i take one now, i can easily sleep for three days straight. So, i keep a stash when i need a break from the world and just sleep it all away. Also, be aware of extremely livid dreams.

October 20, 2014 7:51 AM

Review by sleeping again (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I have battled insomnia for most of my adult life. I was prescribed sleeping pills what a disaster. My Dr. was hesitant to prescribe this medication as weight gain is a side effect. She prescribed 7.5 to 15 mg a night and my sleep has been sound for over 2 years now. I gained probably 5-7 pounds gradually then stopped gaining. I do exercise and eat well this helps with sleep also. Sometimes I have daytime grogginess but usually not a problem. This medication was a God-send for me.

October 17, 2014 12:23 PM

Review by Nighttime mother (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I experienced insomnia due to the stress of repeated night wakings from my baby coinciding with my husband leaving for a week at a time for work. I began with 7.5mg and it worked like a charm from the beginning. Some drowsiness in the morning but nothing a cup of coffee wouldn't cure. I gained 7 lbs but I am keeping track of calories now and that is almost off again. Could not say for certain if it was a result of this medicine because that happens if I am not paying attention anyway. Baby still wakes at night at times but I can go right back to sleep on this. I would recommend it to anyone with sleep issues.

October 13, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by jeffdotcooper (taken for less than 1 month):

Remeron (mirtazapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: 30 mg. dosage; What to possibly expect based on my experience. Day 1. I was extremely tired & if I let my head hit the pillow, I would experience micro sleep. I felt a little dizzy at times. Be careful around stairs if you suffer from vertigo. Functionality was delayed - my mind was in a cloud & it was difficult to work or concentrate on something that required deep attention. Day2. I felt hungover. Hypersensitive to sounds, meaning that my mind would abnormally jolt to a greater sense of attention to a noise than before. The dizziness remained but at a decreased level. Day 3. Almost normal; just slightly tired.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2014 6:57 AM

Review by Jennifreckles (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: During a really worrying period with one of my children I found I couldn't sleep and would lie awake with pounding heart and shaking. This meant I found terrible during the day and it just got worse and worse. I eventually was referred to a Psychiatrist who prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg. Well the first night I slept all night! I was very groggy in the morning. Gradually the grogginess lessened. I found that because I was getting a good nights restful sleep I started to improve. It really was like a miracle for me. I have been on it now for about 18 months, the family crisis is over and I want to get off now if I can. so I have started taking just 7.5mg will see how I go with that for a while then hopefully stop altogether.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 6:41 PM

Review by Anxiety&OCD:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Was on citalopram for my anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder for 10yrs. It stopped working unfortunately and my doctor switched me to Mirtazapine as I also wasn't eating well. So pleased as now I'm eating, my anxiety & OCD is under control. I recommend this medicine.

September 28, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by Cazxx:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I was on Citalopram for 10yrs for my anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. I've always struggled to eat on that medication though, so I went to my doctor who decided to switch me to Mirtazapine.. I cross tapered medication over a 4 week period to reduced citalopram withdrawal. I started on 15mg of Mirtazapine for a week then my dose was upped to 30mg. I'm so pleased with the results. I feel calmer than I have for years, and I'm also eating again which is a big thing for me as when my anxiety is bad I lose my appetite. It's also controlling my obsessive compulsive disorder symptoms well. I love this medication. I take it an hour before I go to bed and I sleep for 8 hours and feel refreshed the next day. It also has less side effects than SSRI's.

September 24, 2014 5:49 AM