User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Review Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Diverticulitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Diverticulitis

"First time diagnosed with diverticulitis and suffers 3 months of horrible pain before finding out through ct scan. Prescribed 10 days of cypro and Flagyl and feel like shit:). However I can tell it's working and today is day ,5. Nasty poop today but tells me this stuff is working."

Misterqc (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Prescribed Flagyl and Cipro for diverticulitis and both worked well. Hard to tease out which caused some of the side effects, however Flagyl seemed the milder of the two. Bad pill taste is no problem but the metallic taste tainted everything. So glad to hear others experienced heightened/changed sense of smell! I thought I was going crazy! No nausea with the Flagyl alone but about an hour after adding the cipro the exhaustion and nausea are awful. Also, dark urine and diarrhea which are unsettling but sound normal."

Gardengirl67 June 20, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "This is my third day on flagyl and cipro, 3 flagyl and 2 cipro per day. The flagyl does not leave an awful taste in my mouth but some food smells awful...the herbs and flowers in my garden smell nice however. I also feel very anxious, but know now this is a possible side effect. It is a slow depressing recovery but flagyl worked for me before. I will be very careful what I eat from now on and I am going to try some liquid meals and eat gelatinous foods...chicken stew, avocados, beetroots, prunes....its very hard to maintain a healthy diet when you have to work."

diversional May 3, 2015

"I am a 49 yr old male.This is the 2nd time if had diverticlitis(at 40 the first time) I have taken both meds (Cipro an Metron 500ml) this is only thing that helped me. I see that everyone is different. my pain (lower left ab) was unreal.I have been out of work for 3 days.(haven't missed a day in 10yrs) I'm not 100%yet but,the sharp pains are almost gone.I need more fiber and have been told you can heal this."

Mick diver (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

"I have had a few bouts with diverticulitis close together and was prescribed Cipro and Flagyl both strong antibiotics. When trying to take both at the same time I felt very sick, and nausea. I went online to read more about each of these meds. Someone with experience suggested taken them an hour apart and when taking Flagyl take it in a spoon of applesauce because it leaves a bitter taste if it touches any part of the inside of your mouth. Put it in the back of mouth w/ applesauce and swallow with lots of water. Also DO NOT Take your Cipro with milk or yoghurt it tells you on you med info on bottle and paper info. The last time the prescription for Flagyl was dbled from 250 mg to 500 mg and it made me throw it up. "

SRZ April 22, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "First off, don't forget that a lot of people are probably doing excellent with little-to-no problems with this antibiotic. Sort of like you never really hear from happy customers, usually the unsatisfied ones. Also that everyone's body reacts differently. ...that being said, Holy Cow the nausea! Ugh... Stomach cramps and pretty much constant nausea all day today (day 2). Eventually had to leave work early. Pepto did not help. Going to try taking Nauzene with me to work tomorrow, see if it helps. (OTC nausea medication - a life saver in the past) Taking it with Cipro. Been on this combo before for my diverticulitis without so many stomach problems. Still a better option than the huge waves of pain from a flare-up."

Seattle Guy (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2015

"I just had my 1st bout of diverticulitis and am now being treated with cipro and flagyl. I was in ER for a few hours with IV antibiotics then sent home, this was wed. night and i started treatment thursday. The pain has eased up but i feel tired a lot, feel depressed and spaced out, and went from being constipated to diarrhea. My urine looks dark like beer, bitter taste in mouth, gas and burbling noises...not fun. But considering how sick i was before treatment (fever, abdominal pain, terrible diarrhea...thought it was the gastro) this isn't so bad. Every day it seems to improve...i hope this clears up and I will do my utmost to make sure I never have another flareup again."

Marylene (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "In 2009 I was diagnosed with diverticulitis had lots of blood loss. Six years to the month I had a sudden flare up, high temp cramps. Instead of going to the doctor right away I took amoxicillin that I had. Started feeling better and went out to eat and bam cramping started. Went to see my doctor he put me on Cipro and Flagyl been on it for 4 days now the pain is gone still have bloating. The meds made my urine dark, and my head feels stuffed up. Burning in my eyes. Don't do what I did, go to your doctor. I'm making an appointment to see a specialist."

teaysboy March 5, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "The side effects of taking Flagyl are not pleasant but they're worth it as this antibiotic certainly seems effective in relieving sporadic attacks of diverticulitis. I have been prescribed it along with Chephalexin for maximum efficacy. As stated elsewhere, do not go near alcohol during medication, ie: consider yourself on the wagon for the duration of treatment! Finding the right diet (which for me includes no wheat) seems critical in controlling the disease."

gutman (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2015

"I was put on metronidazole 500 mg and Cipro 500 mg twice daily for diverticulitis. I noticed the pain eased up after 2 days. I'm on day 5 and I feel horrid. Diarrhea, headache, tired, dizzy, nauseous, foggy headed, anxiety, depression and body pain. I don't know if I can do this for 5 more days!"

kb78 February 7, 2015

"Its ironic that Flagyl used to be given to alcoholics so they couldn't absorb alcohol in the liver causing terrible discomfort. Both meds Cipro and Flagyl work very well. Just take them separately and with some yogurt."

Ray j December 12, 2014

"I find my experience to be the exact opposite of those I've read here! I had a terrible reaction to Cipro last year...vomiting, diarrhea, severe abdominal pain. Refused it this week when I developed diverticulitis. I'm taking Flagyl and clindamycin combination with absolutely zero side effects. I plan to start yogurt tomorrow as diet progresses."

I'm an RN December 7, 2014

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Flagyl leaves a bad taste in my mouth after a couple of days, makes my urine smell bad, and causes nausea (so get some anti nausea meds along with it). That being said - it does the job very well. Noticeable improvement within 1--3 days."

Diverticulitis boy (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2014

"This is my first time with a Flagyl and Cipro combination. It's been 3 days and so nauseous and the lethargy is awful. I'm not sure I can continue the combination but I will be calling the doctor Monday morning. And I do have Zofran. These side effects are terrible."

tinknwolf (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2014

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I ended up in the ER with diverticulitis and was given Cipro and Flagyl. Yes the taste is bitter and things don't taste so good. However, despite the taste, I have gotten significantly better with the two medicines and that is the main thing for me. As with any medicines some of us will experience different side effects if any, but if this is one of them, this is very minor. I did not experience the nausea or a lot of other ones I read about with these medicines."

lonski November 9, 2014

"While they do the job as intended the Flagyl makes you sick and nauseous. Food and drink lose its taste and you can gag from just trying to swallow the pill. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis last year and spent 12 days in the hospital with a perforated colon. Luckily the meds did the job and kept me from having to get surgery which would have resulted in a colostomy bag for 4-6 months. This year I had some symptoms again and went to doctor right away. I got the meds again (Flagyl and Cipro 500 mg each twice a day). 48 hours in I am feeling better from the disease but not so much from the meds. To get past the taste of the pills on the way down I started taking it with a spoonful of honey."

Bruvz (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2014

"I was hospitalized with diverticulitis for 5 days, previously I was treated with Levaquin and another antibiotic, not sure of the name. After having an allergic reaction to Levaquin, I was given Flagyl. Immediately, I started having watery diarrhea which made me weak, I could not eat or smell anything without nausea. I told my doctor but he kept it up. After a day on intravenous Flagyl, I was throwing up green and diarrhea was also green. I could not leave the room because I could not get any distance from the toilet. Still they continued to pump the Flagyl in and I got sicker and sicker. Finally, I begged my doctor to let me go home because the diverticulitis was gone because I had taken 10 days of Cipro before being admitted."

suequill1 (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2014

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Had my first flare with diverticulitis 4 months ago, ended up in the emergency room. Prescribed Bactrim and Flagyl and four days bed rest. Pain subsided after 2 days on the meds, but felt pretty crummy for the next week, and had to deal with loss of taste and bad taste in my mouth. Didn't attribute feeling so yucky with the meds. Had a second milder diverticulitis flare up four days ago. Went to the doc 2 days ago and I'm back on Bactrim and Flagyl. Came back to work today and I am SO NAUSEOUS! The bad taste in my mouth has returned, and I really don't feel well at all. I really DO NOT want to end up where I was last Jan when I went to the emergency room - so I'm still taking the Flagyl. Doc gave me Zofran for the nausea, it helps some."

ammulle (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2014

"1st time and hopefully last time with diverticulitis. On Cipro and Flagyl. No pain after 48 hours. Followed clear liquid diet plus plain probiotic yogurt for 2 days to keep diarrhea at bay and NOT get thrush then switched to a low fiber diet. Doctor only gave nuts/raw veggie restriction but I decided to give colon a rest. Dark urine despite drinking 64 oz water each day. Also take probiotic in the morning. I've read other posts saying meds would be stopped or reduced...NOT a good idea in order to completely eliminate the bacteria. I've heard the infection can return, not as a new infection, but because the bacteria count was diminished, not wiped out. A pharmacist told me to take the Flagyl first, then take the Cipro 2hours later. That's helped!"

rckymtnangl April 27, 2014

"I couldn't keep it down now I take a fruit roll up pick up the pill with tweezers and then pinch together to enclose the pill with my fingers pop it in my mouth and walla no bad taste ."

Sue. M (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2014

"First time I had diverticulitis I was prescribed metronidazole and Cipro. The metronidazole was so horrible tasting it would make me gag and throw up. I got some double zero gelation capsules and put the pill inside the capsule. It worked like a charm, no more gagging. It works for bad tasting pills as well as chalky pills that get stuck in your throat. Good luck!"

Angiemarie February 17, 2014

"Dr sent me to the ER as this was my 1st diagnosed diverticulitis. I was admitted and given the 2 medicines IV. I was in the hospital for 3 days and since taking the Flagyl orally I gotta admit UGH! YUCK. I never want to go through that again. So I definitely will follow the diverticulitis diet."

jeanit (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2014

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Took Flagyl and Cipro together - felt worse than I did before - all the side effects everyone is mentioning. However, the alternative - raging infection - not really an option. Taking my diet seriously moving forward."

Ms.Aerie January 25, 2014

Flagyl (metronidazole): "It seems I've had Experiences that a lot of these other people do with feeling worse than I did before on these medications with the Cipro and Flagyl and I'm nauseous I'm dizzy I have foggy brain I can't eat the taste is horrible and I feel like I can't function. I've been On this for the second time in a year and it's doing the same thing same side effects. I don't like feeling this way at all. I can't drive or go to work. I've been on it for 4 days out of 10 and its Christmas! My pain has subsided though."

Lalalinda December 23, 2013

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Used both Flagyl and Cipro. Also I found that after 7 days the color of my urine did not look right, freaked out and did some calling around to pharmacist, only to find out said yes this is a side effect although not real common, of course I would be the odd ball."

Wild kite (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2013