User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Diverticulitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Diverticulitis

Review by Sue. M (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: I couldn't keep it down now I take a fruit roll up pick up the pill with tweezers and then pinch together to enclose the pill with my fingers pop it in my mouth and walla no bad taste .

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 23, 2014 7:32 PM
Review by Angiemarie: User Rating:

metronidazole: First time I had diverticulitis I was prescribed metronidazole and Cipro. The metronidazole was so horrible tasting it would make me gag and throw up. I got some double zero gelation capsules and put the pill inside the capsule. It worked like a charm, no more gagging. It works for bad tasting pills as well as chalky pills that get stuck in your throat. Good luck!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 17, 2014 1:20 AM
Review by jeanit (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: Dr sent me to the ER as this was my 1st diagnosed diverticulitis. I was admitted and given the 2 medicines IV. I was in the hospital for 3 days and since taking the Flagyl orally I gotta admit UGH! YUCK. I never want to go through that again. So I definitely will follow the diverticulitis diet.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 8, 2014 8:11 PM
Review by Ms.Aerie: User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole): Took Flagyl and Cipro together - felt worse than I did before - all the side effects everyone is mentioning. However, the alternative - raging infection - not really an option. Taking my diet seriously moving forward.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 25, 2014 10:23 PM
Review by Lalalinda: User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole): It seems I've had Experiences that a lot of these other people do with feeling worse than I did before on these medications with the Cipro and Flagyl and I'm nauseous I'm dizzy I have foggy brain I can't eat the taste is horrible and I feel like I can't function. I've been On this for the second time in a year and it's doing the same thing same side effects. I don't like feeling this way at all. I can't drive or go to work. I've been on it for 4 days out of 10 and its Christmas! My pain has subsided though.

December 23, 2013 10:48 PM
Review by Wild kite (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole): Used both Flagyl and Cipro. Also I found that after 7 days the color of my urine did not look right, freaked out and did some calling around to pharmacist, only to find out said yes this is a side effect although not real common, of course I would be the odd ball.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 2, 2013 4:28 PM
Review by Amarige (taken for 1 to 2 years):

metronidazole: The only way to take this medication is with apple sauce. I put one 500mg pill on a tablespoon of apple sauce, swallow it and immediately follow with additional applesauce. There is no after taste of the pill and the applesauce kills the smell as well. This is the only way i can can take it. Try it, it really works

October 26, 2013 5:28 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

metronidazole: The taste of this drug is so terrible that I would gag and the pill would get caught in my throat. Then I would gag some more and throw it all up. I finally asked my doctor if it would hurt if I coated it with something and he said it shouldn't. So tonight I melted a couple pieces of Hershey's milk chocolate in a little saucer and rolled each pill in it to coat. One or two mins in the frezzer on a plate and bam! Not a problem tossing it back and swallowing these suckers now.

October 21, 2013 10:10 PM
Review by Josh888: User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole): Don't drink alcohol while on this. I had 1 light beer (approx 0.9 standard drinks) and felt completely ill. Also ironic that you should take this pill after eating, though with acute diverticulitis you shouldn't eat at all. I found drinks like Up & Go (breakfast drink) were a good option. Medication does work but tastes horrible.

October 6, 2013 11:16 PM
Review by Scott1699: User Rating:

metronidazole: Medication worked great. Was hospitalized for diverticulitis for 8 days about a year and a half ago. Had second flare up. Been on medicine for three days and feeling much better. Only side effect is bad taste in my mouth.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 10, 2013 11:11 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole): I have been taking Flagyl and Cipro for Diverticulitis and it seems to be helping. After my stay in the hospital where the doctor put me on a food rest for several days, including IV antibiotics he prescribed these two meds. There are some issues I have had taking them such as low energy level, limited concentration when getting tired, but most of all nausea. I recommend if you are going to be taking either or both of these meds always take with plenty of food (meal time not just a snack), don't plan on doing too much (you won't have the energy), and ask your Doctor for a as needed prescription of a nausea medicine just in case you need it. I have needed something for nausea at least once daily since on the medicine.

August 11, 2013 3:10 AM
Review by Mis213: User Rating:

metronidazole: Personally after reading these stories & not knowing if everyone (besides those who stated) was taking Meronidazole with something else. I have had a few flare ups and I cannot take a combination of Cipro/Metronidazole as this causes the weird feelings and extreme lethargy. Metronidazole alone ( besides the bad taste when you pop it) no problems. Occasionally slight nausea & bloating but nothing else. I just don't take the combination anymore which was horrible. Straight Metronidazole now 500 mg 3x a day 10 days..done.

April 12, 2013 6:57 PM
Review by alexnds (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: Was hospitalized with diverticulitis. Pain was acute. It made a grown man cry. After 4 days of IV injected Levaquin and another broad spectrum antibiotic, the white blood cell count was not going down. I constantly had blood drawn at 4 AM and results from the lab by 12 noon. The broad spectrum antibiotics controlled the white blood cell count from rising, but did nothing to decrease it. Even though I was on all liquid diet, and on morphine for pain, nothing was controlling the severity of the symptoms. It could have led to sepsis. An infectious diseases specialist was called for a consult and he added this antibiotic into the mix. In one day, this got the white blood cell count down and kept it going down after repeated blood draws.

April 2, 2013 11:45 PM
Review by Lainey79 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: 34 yr old female 500 mg-3 x 10 days. I do think it's healing me but I started having side effects from this from the first day I took it. Severe anxiety, dizziness, insomnia, lethargy, diarrhea, ringing in ears, hands shaking, night sweats, metal taste in mouth, couldn't focus, and was overall very irritated. By day 3 & 4, I starting having severe depression and uncontrollable crying, flu like symptoms and by day five I felt homicidal!! I'm currently on day 6 and luckily I missed my last dose or else who knows what could've happened! I am going to finish out my script but I may cut it back to just 2 a day. I'll be so glad when this is over with!

March 31, 2013 10:17 PM
Review by csee (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole: Some diarrhea, besides that no side effects whatsoever. I had read some of the side effects and it bothered me when I started the medicine but nothing happened while I was taking it. I didn't get tired, did not hurt my stomach, nothing. The added benefit was that I had a knee I injured about 6 months ago and it hurt almost constantly. After taking the medicine a couple of days the pain in my knee disappeared.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 29, 2013 11:29 PM
Review by Glunk: User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole): The taste of Flagyl is simply abominable. It should be encapsulated. Been taking it a week with CIPRO. Stomach grumblings sound like a flatulent trombone lasting for 10-seconds at a stretch.

March 17, 2013 10:21 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metronidazole: I was diagnosed with diverticulitis in the ER I was given 2 antibiotics. I remember one of them leaving such a horrible taste in my mouth that I literally scrapped the back of tongue with a paper towel. From the prescription I learned the names Ciprofloxacin and Metronidazole, take every 12 hrs for 10 days. By the 3rd dose I had the strongest headache ever, and diarrhea! The pharmacist told me that the headache was a result of the diarrhea because my body was being drained. Said I should increase on my water intake. Today I'm at dose 5 and I must say the pain has subsided greatly now at "3". I did increase my water intake, and although the diarrhea is still here, the headache too has subsided now at a "2".

February 9, 2013 12:56 PM
Review by suzyandre (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole): After several years of diverticulitis and some very severe attacks including bleeding, I gave in and medicated with Flagyl. I only took 200mg twice a day and my symptoms disappeared, relatively no side effects other than dry mouth. I was vigilant with diet and NO ALCOHOL! Feel great but worry about re-occurrence.

November 11, 2012 1:57 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Flagyl IV (metronidazole): After taking 3 pills, I experienced chills, tremors, nausea, vomiting..had to go urgent care. They changed to Clindamycin. Now I am taking Levoquin and Clindamycin. Just have mild diarrhea.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 1, 2012 1:24 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole): Flagyl took away all of my energy for 23 hours each day for the first few days. I could not even watch TV. I had almost constant stomach pain. Additional stomach pain at bowel movements. I did a lot of sleeping every day. I also had a headache. I have been off Flagyl for 11 days now and I still have some stomach pain.

July 20, 2012 5:07 AM
Review by Illmom: User Rating:

metronidazole: After 2 days the pain is much better. Taking it with Cipro. The side effects are awful, terrible taste always, headache, dizzy, body aches like the flu. Want to throw up but can't. I try to sleep all day to make it go by quicker. I can no way work or drive my car. I'll try to stick it out for a couple of more days.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 10, 2012 9:48 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metronidazole: This medicine stops the diverticulitis infection quickly. The side effects are very minor compared to the pain of diverticulitits. I never know when I might have a flare up and since I travel, I need to carry this medicine with me just in case.

May 1, 2012 9:22 PM

Flagyl (metronidazole): This med was prescribed along with Cipro for diverticulitis. The side effects were strong. I felt dizzy, my balance was off when walking, drowsiness, general fuzzy headed feeling. When my pain subsided after 3 days, I stopped taking it but continued the Cipro. I was taking 500mg 3 times a day of the Flagyl. Doc wants me to continue taking at least 1 per day, but can't drive or function so not going to continue.

April 17, 2012 6:49 AM
Review by Nonnative: User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole): The taste it leaves in your mouth is horrible, but I have been on it along with Cipro since Saturday and as of this morning could tell a big difference in how I feel. The soreness in my lower stomach is almost gone and until today it has been unbearable. It leaves a metallic taste in your mouth, takes away your appetite and made me feel nauseous but I would take it again if I had another flare up with the Diverticulitis it seems to help.

April 11, 2012 11:00 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole): I have taken this medicine once before and it made me have flu like symptoms, diarrhea, terrible taste in my mouth in general feel awful when I am on this. I agree with person above almost worse than having the pain from diverticulitis. I am also taking Cipro so no dairy products, antacids tablets. Basically I try to force my self to eat and drink and sleep through the worst of the systems. This is miserable and depressing. As soon as I can I plan to try to eat the recommended about of Fiber 25-30 grams. I never want to have diverticulitis again twice in 5 months is to much. I have 1 more week of meds, feels like a life time.

February 27, 2012 7:52 AM