User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Diverticulitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Diverticulitis

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I went to the ER and was told I had Diverticulitis..I stayed in the hospital for 3 days...I started taking Cipro and Flagyl. Only side effect is diarrhea, hard to manage when you work fulltime...Medication does work...On meds for 1 week."

feeling well (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

"This is my third day of Ciprofloxacin 500mg twice per day and Metronidazole 500mg twice per day for recently diagnosed diverticulitis. I am experiencing disturbances in sleep, despite being really tired I am finding it difficult to fall asleep. I also feel light headed. I am drinking lots of water. I have been following a gluten free diet prior to diagnosis and this appears to have eased my worst symptoms."

GillyT January 10, 2016

"I was given 60 tabs of metronidazole...2 X 3 A DAY for 10 days. also given another drug with it take 1x 2 a day. By the 6 day I was so sick I wished I could die. Stomach cramps, bloating gas. Quit taking these meds on the 9th day.Stomach cleared up. but now I riddled with so much joint pain I can hardly move."

Barb. (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2015

"As an update to my previous glowing comment, I'm hopefully getting better and the pain is not so bad but this medicine is making me so groggy and so sick to my stomach. Its Saturday and I spent the entire day sleeping. It's very hard to sustain concentration at work not only from a little bit of pain but from how this medicine makes you feel. It is a rough affliction so I feel your frustration."

123Missy December 12, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I have to say that metronidazole is a horrible antibiotic as far as side effects go especially when one has to go to work. I experienced a lot of dizziness, migraines, muscle pain even in my heart, jittery and drowziness. I'm sure flagyl is the same. Next time I'm asking not to get this prescribed my doctor. Better yet take it off the shelf."

Kaiser patient (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2015

"All I know is that 2 days into this course of treatment with flagyl and cipro, my horrible left lower quadrant pain is gone. I do feel a little down and lethargic but who cares? I'm able to get some things done and get through a day at work. I do have a little headache and another medicine Amitiza seems to give me congestion in my head but it helped relax the colon spasms. I am so grateful though because I was in horrible pain for so long and didn't know why."

123Missy December 5, 2015

"I am having my 5th bout of Diverticulitis in one year. Not having any luck .... I was told I can eat nuts, seeds...if i chew well from both of the Gastro docs I have seen but I think we are all unique and perhaps, I better give them up. Seems my case is prone now. I am allergic to Cipro so must use Bactrim with the Flagyl. yes, it is nasty! I get sores in roof of mouth, with both actually, but I am allergic to most other antibiotics. I am on now one week- they have given me dose for one month but honestly, will have to cut off soon as my stomach is in rough shape. I was in the hospital and they gave me them both in IV and for me- this worked little bit better. I really would love to learn more about a healthy diet that will help."

she wolf November 16, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Day 3 on Flagyl and Cipro. I thought I was having a heart attack. This stuff has horrid side effects. Discomfort in my chest and arm. Foggy headed feeling, dizziness, unbalanced, headache, very nauseous, metal taste, very blurry eyesight. No energy, at 55 it is not a good thing to feel this way, especially when you are overweight and out of shape. This is only day 3 I don't think I can take this stuff for 7 more days. They say the IV kind is worse though. Supposedly it's helping (I do feel less pain in my abdomen I think). IF I make it through this stuff I bet I will watch what I eat and make better choices in the future. I called the pharmacy and the doc and both said to stay on it, cipro 2X daily and flagyl 4X daily. Scary stuff."

Anonymous November 13, 2015

"39 year old mom of 4. On my 2nd bout of diverticulitis (1st one 7 years earlier) I was given 10 days of Flagyl & Cipro. I took them together twice a day, & then the 3rd Flagyl by itself at night. I noticed a minimal yucky taste when taking them, but by the time I had finished my water, it was usually gone. I had a metallic taste approximately 3 times total, that lasted just minutes. By the last part of day 2 I was feeling better, day 3 there was no more pain. By the 4th day there was some discoloration of urine - rusty colored to orange. I never ever felt anxious, nauseous, had diarrhea, or felt tired. Overall, great experience with the combo of meds!"

Lyndilous November 1, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I cringe when I think about having to take cipro and flagyl. I'm nauseous, dizzy, light headed, ache, and foggy headed. Can't function and sleep all the time. I miss a weeks worth of work because I feel so bad."

Claudine27 October 27, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Seems effective. Second use with diverticulitis. Both times combined with Cipro. Had some side effects but not sure which medication they came from. Plus the diverticulitis itself causes gas, bloating, diarrhea, headache, nausea so how do you know what was meds and what was the illness? I experienced urine discoloration-slight rusty tone. I can say that the taste of the Flagyl pill is horrible. Also, after starting the meds I became over sensitive to smells and everything I ate or drank, even water, tasted disgusting. (Not so bad as I'm not supposed to be eating foods). I found that if I swallow the Flagyl with a sip of a smoothie (from supermarket) it slips down easy with no sticking and no bad taste."

metalmaiden (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I'm a 36 yo active female diagnosed with Diverticulitis. I took the combo of meds and am on day 7 now. I work out 6 days a week and have had to modify my workouts and weight lifting because I feel absolutely drained, weak and muscles ache. (This of course was advised against by both doctor and pharmacist but alas I am a knucklehead) I have the metallic taste as well in addition to nausea with the meds. However I would prefer these side effects to the pain associated with Diverticulitis."

Amelia_W September 23, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I have been on Flagyl a few times and it works very well. But, why can't they put it in a gelcap. It is so hard for me to take because of the taste. I take it with cranberry juice, which helps. But, really, it is nasty tasting."

Anonymous September 6, 2015

"I'm really glad I read the hints about taking the Cipro 2 hours after the Flagyl. I hope it helps! Also got some Zofran. I came down with diverticulitis for the first time ever, and was perscribed the above drug combo. I'm on day two and the debilitating pain is gone. But now I have the dreaded nausea and diahhrea, and just plain feeling like I have stomach flu! But I'm going to try the suggestions offered by others, and keep my fingers crossed they work...otherwise, I'm not sure how to go back to work, without toting along a porta potty :)"

Laura24373 (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "was put on flagyl and cipro for 1 week. I'm light-headed and only want to sleep! Nauseous and my mouth tastes awful. I am glad to read all of these posts and I thought I was getting a secondary sinus infection. MY last pills were on a monday and today, wednesday I still feel 'in the clouds'."

steph659 August 19, 2015

"5th day of the combo, 1st time being diagnosed with diverticulitis. 42 yr old female, with a family I love. Can't wait to be off these mess not sure how I feel about them, I know they're helping but can't stand side effects!!! I can be anxious on my own I feel alright for the most part but once I feel something new or different I tend to freak myself out! But reading other people's experiences has helped calm me a lot thanks to everyone for sharing feels better to know others going through the same thing. I wish everyone a quick recovery!!!"

my7kids July 15, 2015

"First time diagnosed with diverticulitis and suffers 3 months of horrible pain before finding out through ct scan. Prescribed 10 days of cypro and Flagyl and feel like shit:). However I can tell it's working and today is day ,5. Nasty poop today but tells me this stuff is working."

Misterqc (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Prescribed Flagyl and Cipro for diverticulitis and both worked well. Hard to tease out which caused some of the side effects, however Flagyl seemed the milder of the two. Bad pill taste is no problem but the metallic taste tainted everything. So glad to hear others experienced heightened/changed sense of smell! I thought I was going crazy! No nausea with the Flagyl alone but about an hour after adding the cipro the exhaustion and nausea are awful. Also, dark urine and diarrhea which are unsettling but sound normal."

Gardengirl67 June 20, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "This is my third day on flagyl and cipro, 3 flagyl and 2 cipro per day. The flagyl does not leave an awful taste in my mouth but some food smells awful...the herbs and flowers in my garden smell nice however. I also feel very anxious, but know now this is a possible side effect. It is a slow depressing recovery but flagyl worked for me before. I will be very careful what I eat from now on and I am going to try some liquid meals and eat gelatinous foods...chicken stew, avocados, beetroots, prunes....its very hard to maintain a healthy diet when you have to work."

diversional May 3, 2015

"I am a 49 yr old male.This is the 2nd time if had diverticlitis(at 40 the first time) I have taken both meds (Cipro an Metron 500ml) this is only thing that helped me. I see that everyone is different. my pain (lower left ab) was unreal.I have been out of work for 3 days.(haven't missed a day in 10yrs) I'm not 100%yet but,the sharp pains are almost gone.I need more fiber and have been told you can heal this."

Mick diver (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

"I have had a few bouts with diverticulitis close together and was prescribed Cipro and Flagyl both strong antibiotics. When trying to take both at the same time I felt very sick, and nausea. I went online to read more about each of these meds. Someone with experience suggested taken them an hour apart and when taking Flagyl take it in a spoon of applesauce because it leaves a bitter taste if it touches any part of the inside of your mouth. Put it in the back of mouth w/ applesauce and swallow with lots of water. Also DO NOT Take your Cipro with milk or yoghurt it tells you on you med info on bottle and paper info. The last time the prescription for Flagyl was dbled from 250 mg to 500 mg and it made me throw it up. "

SRZ April 22, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "First off, don't forget that a lot of people are probably doing excellent with little-to-no problems with this antibiotic. Sort of like you never really hear from happy customers, usually the unsatisfied ones. Also that everyone's body reacts differently. ...that being said, Holy Cow the nausea! Ugh... Stomach cramps and pretty much constant nausea all day today (day 2). Eventually had to leave work early. Pepto did not help. Going to try taking Nauzene with me to work tomorrow, see if it helps. (OTC nausea medication - a life saver in the past) Taking it with Cipro. Been on this combo before for my diverticulitis without so many stomach problems. Still a better option than the huge waves of pain from a flare-up."

Seattle Guy (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2015

"I just had my 1st bout of diverticulitis and am now being treated with cipro and flagyl. I was in ER for a few hours with IV antibiotics then sent home, this was wed. night and i started treatment thursday. The pain has eased up but i feel tired a lot, feel depressed and spaced out, and went from being constipated to diarrhea. My urine looks dark like beer, bitter taste in mouth, gas and burbling noises...not fun. But considering how sick i was before treatment (fever, abdominal pain, terrible diarrhea...thought it was the gastro) this isn't so bad. Every day it seems to improve...i hope this clears up and I will do my utmost to make sure I never have another flareup again."

Marylene (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "In 2009 I was diagnosed with diverticulitis had lots of blood loss. Six years to the month I had a sudden flare up, high temp cramps. Instead of going to the doctor right away I took amoxicillin that I had. Started feeling better and went out to eat and bam cramping started. Went to see my doctor he put me on Cipro and Flagyl been on it for 4 days now the pain is gone still have bloating. The meds made my urine dark, and my head feels stuffed up. Burning in my eyes. Don't do what I did, go to your doctor. I'm making an appointment to see a specialist."

teaysboy March 5, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "The side effects of taking Flagyl are not pleasant but they're worth it as this antibiotic certainly seems effective in relieving sporadic attacks of diverticulitis. I have been prescribed it along with Chephalexin for maximum efficacy. As stated elsewhere, do not go near alcohol during medication, ie: consider yourself on the wagon for the duration of treatment! Finding the right diet (which for me includes no wheat) seems critical in controlling the disease."

gutman (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2015