User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Diverticulitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Diverticulitis

Review by ammulle (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole): Had my first flare with diverticulitis 4 months ago, ended up in the emergency room. Prescribed Bactrim and Flagyl and four days bed rest. Pain subsided after 2 days on the meds, but felt pretty crummy for the next week, and had to deal with loss of taste and bad taste in my mouth. Didn't attribute feeling so yucky with the meds. Had a second milder diverticulitis flare up four days ago. Went to the doc 2 days ago and I'm back on Bactrim and Flagyl. Came back to work today and I am SO NAUSEOUS! The bad taste in my mouth has returned, and I really don't feel well at all. I really DO NOT want to end up where I was last Jan when I went to the emergency room - so I'm still taking the Flagyl. Doc gave me Zofran for the nausea, it helps some.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 9, 2014 5:56 PM

Review by rckymtnangl:

1st time and hopefully last time with diverticulitis. On Cipro and Flagyl. No pain after 48 hours. Followed clear liquid diet plus plain probiotic yogurt for 2 days to keep diarrhea at bay and NOT get thrush then switched to a low fiber diet. Doctor only gave nuts/raw veggie restriction but I decided to give colon a rest. Dark urine despite drinking 64 oz water each day. Also take probiotic in the morning. I've read other posts saying meds would be stopped or reduced...NOT a good idea in order to completely eliminate the bacteria. I've heard the infection can return, not as a new infection, but because the bacteria count was diminished, not wiped out. A pharmacist told me to take the Flagyl first, then take the Cipro 2hours later. That's helped!

April 27, 2014 9:24 PM

Review by Sue. M (taken for less than 1 month):

I couldn't keep it down now I take a fruit roll up pick up the pill with tweezers and then pinch together to enclose the pill with my fingers pop it in my mouth and walla no bad taste .

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2014 7:32 PM

Review by Angiemarie:

First time I had diverticulitis I was prescribed metronidazole and Cipro. The metronidazole was so horrible tasting it would make me gag and throw up. I got some double zero gelation capsules and put the pill inside the capsule. It worked like a charm, no more gagging. It works for bad tasting pills as well as chalky pills that get stuck in your throat. Good luck!

February 17, 2014 1:20 AM

Review by jeanit (taken for less than 1 month):

Dr sent me to the ER as this was my 1st diagnosed diverticulitis. I was admitted and given the 2 medicines IV. I was in the hospital for 3 days and since taking the Flagyl orally I gotta admit UGH! YUCK. I never want to go through that again. So I definitely will follow the diverticulitis diet.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2014 8:11 PM

Review by Ms.Aerie:

Flagyl (metronidazole): Took Flagyl and Cipro together - felt worse than I did before - all the side effects everyone is mentioning. However, the alternative - raging infection - not really an option. Taking my diet seriously moving forward.

January 25, 2014 10:23 PM

Review by Lalalinda:

Flagyl (metronidazole): It seems I've had Experiences that a lot of these other people do with feeling worse than I did before on these medications with the Cipro and Flagyl and I'm nauseous I'm dizzy I have foggy brain I can't eat the taste is horrible and I feel like I can't function. I've been On this for the second time in a year and it's doing the same thing same side effects. I don't like feeling this way at all. I can't drive or go to work. I've been on it for 4 days out of 10 and its Christmas! My pain has subsided though.

December 23, 2013 10:48 PM

Review by Wild kite (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole): Used both Flagyl and Cipro. Also I found that after 7 days the color of my urine did not look right, freaked out and did some calling around to pharmacist, only to find out said yes this is a side effect although not real common, of course I would be the odd ball.

December 2, 2013 4:28 PM

Review by Amarige (taken for 1 to 2 years):

The only way to take this medication is with apple sauce. I put one 500mg pill on a tablespoon of apple sauce, swallow it and immediately follow with additional applesauce. There is no after taste of the pill and the applesauce kills the smell as well. This is the only way i can can take it. Try it, it really works

October 26, 2013 5:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

The taste of this drug is so terrible that I would gag and the pill would get caught in my throat. Then I would gag some more and throw it all up. I finally asked my doctor if it would hurt if I coated it with something and he said it shouldn't. So tonight I melted a couple pieces of Hershey's milk chocolate in a little saucer and rolled each pill in it to coat. One or two mins in the frezzer on a plate and bam! Not a problem tossing it back and swallowing these suckers now.

October 21, 2013 10:10 PM

Review by Josh888:

Flagyl (metronidazole): Don't drink alcohol while on this. I had 1 light beer (approx 0.9 standard drinks) and felt completely ill. Also ironic that you should take this pill after eating, though with acute diverticulitis you shouldn't eat at all. I found drinks like Up & Go (breakfast drink) were a good option. Medication does work but tastes horrible.

October 6, 2013 11:16 PM

Review by Scott1699:

Medication worked great. Was hospitalized for diverticulitis for 8 days about a year and a half ago. Had second flare up. Been on medicine for three days and feeling much better. Only side effect is bad taste in my mouth.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2013 11:11 AM

Flagyl (metronidazole): I have been taking Flagyl and Cipro for Diverticulitis and it seems to be helping. After my stay in the hospital where the doctor put me on a food rest for several days, including IV antibiotics he prescribed these two meds. There are some issues I have had taking them such as low energy level, limited concentration when getting tired, but most of all nausea. I recommend if you are going to be taking either or both of these meds always take with plenty of food (meal time not just a snack), don't plan on doing too much (you won't have the energy), and ask your Doctor for a as needed prescription of a nausea medicine just in case you need it. I have needed something for nausea at least once daily since on the medicine.

August 11, 2013 3:10 AM

Review by Mis213:

Personally after reading these stories & not knowing if everyone (besides those who stated) was taking Meronidazole with something else. I have had a few flare ups and I cannot take a combination of Cipro/Metronidazole as this causes the weird feelings and extreme lethargy. Metronidazole alone ( besides the bad taste when you pop it) no problems. Occasionally slight nausea & bloating but nothing else. I just don't take the combination anymore which was horrible. Straight Metronidazole now 500 mg 3x a day 10 days..done.

April 12, 2013 6:57 PM

Review by alexnds (taken for less than 1 month):

Was hospitalized with diverticulitis. Pain was acute. It made a grown man cry. After 4 days of IV injected Levaquin and another broad spectrum antibiotic, the white blood cell count was not going down. I constantly had blood drawn at 4 AM and results from the lab by 12 noon. The broad spectrum antibiotics controlled the white blood cell count from rising, but did nothing to decrease it. Even though I was on all liquid diet, and on morphine for pain, nothing was controlling the severity of the symptoms. It could have led to sepsis. An infectious diseases specialist was called for a consult and he added this antibiotic into the mix. In one day, this got the white blood cell count down and kept it going down after repeated blood draws.

April 2, 2013 11:45 PM

Review by Lainey79 (taken for less than 1 month):

34 yr old female 500 mg-3 x 10 days. I do think it's healing me but I started having side effects from this from the first day I took it. Severe anxiety, dizziness, insomnia, lethargy, diarrhea, ringing in ears, hands shaking, night sweats, metal taste in mouth, couldn't focus, and was overall very irritated. By day 3 & 4, I starting having severe depression and uncontrollable crying, flu like symptoms and by day five I felt homicidal!! I'm currently on day 6 and luckily I missed my last dose or else who knows what could've happened! I am going to finish out my script but I may cut it back to just 2 a day. I'll be so glad when this is over with!

March 31, 2013 10:17 PM

Review by csee (taken for less than 1 month):

Some diarrhea, besides that no side effects whatsoever. I had read some of the side effects and it bothered me when I started the medicine but nothing happened while I was taking it. I didn't get tired, did not hurt my stomach, nothing. The added benefit was that I had a knee I injured about 6 months ago and it hurt almost constantly. After taking the medicine a couple of days the pain in my knee disappeared.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2013 11:29 PM

Review by Glunk:

Flagyl (metronidazole): The taste of Flagyl is simply abominable. It should be encapsulated. Been taking it a week with CIPRO. Stomach grumblings sound like a flatulent trombone lasting for 10-seconds at a stretch.

March 17, 2013 10:21 PM

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis in the ER I was given 2 antibiotics. I remember one of them leaving such a horrible taste in my mouth that I literally scrapped the back of tongue with a paper towel. From the prescription I learned the names Ciprofloxacin and Metronidazole, take every 12 hrs for 10 days. By the 3rd dose I had the strongest headache ever, and diarrhea! The pharmacist told me that the headache was a result of the diarrhea because my body was being drained. Said I should increase on my water intake. Today I'm at dose 5 and I must say the pain has subsided greatly now at "3". I did increase my water intake, and although the diarrhea is still here, the headache too has subsided now at a "2".

February 9, 2013 12:56 PM

Review by suzyandre (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole): After several years of diverticulitis and some very severe attacks including bleeding, I gave in and medicated with Flagyl. I only took 200mg twice a day and my symptoms disappeared, relatively no side effects other than dry mouth. I was vigilant with diet and NO ALCOHOL! Feel great but worry about re-occurrence.

November 11, 2012 1:57 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl IV (metronidazole): After taking 3 pills, I experienced chills, tremors, nausea, vomiting..had to go urgent care. They changed to Clindamycin. Now I am taking Levoquin and Clindamycin. Just have mild diarrhea.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2012 1:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole): Flagyl took away all of my energy for 23 hours each day for the first few days. I could not even watch TV. I had almost constant stomach pain. Additional stomach pain at bowel movements. I did a lot of sleeping every day. I also had a headache. I have been off Flagyl for 11 days now and I still have some stomach pain.

July 20, 2012 5:07 AM

Review by Illmom:

After 2 days the pain is much better. Taking it with Cipro. The side effects are awful, terrible taste always, headache, dizzy, body aches like the flu. Want to throw up but can't. I try to sleep all day to make it go by quicker. I can no way work or drive my car. I'll try to stick it out for a couple of more days.

May 10, 2012 9:48 AM

This medicine stops the diverticulitis infection quickly. The side effects are very minor compared to the pain of diverticulitits. I never know when I might have a flare up and since I travel, I need to carry this medicine with me just in case.

May 1, 2012 9:22 PM

Flagyl (metronidazole): This med was prescribed along with Cipro for diverticulitis. The side effects were strong. I felt dizzy, my balance was off when walking, drowsiness, general fuzzy headed feeling. When my pain subsided after 3 days, I stopped taking it but continued the Cipro. I was taking 500mg 3 times a day of the Flagyl. Doc wants me to continue taking at least 1 per day, but can't drive or function so not going to continue.

April 17, 2012 6:49 AM