User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Diverticulitis.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Diverticulitis

"I have had diverticulitis attacks 2 times/year for several years and have been successful treating it with Keflex or Cipro. For whatever reason my gastro MD added metronidazole in combo with Keflex this time. After 4 days I'm stoping the metronidazole because of side effects. Metronidazole did not ease the diverticulitis pain faster (still took 3 days for pain to subside) and it has made me tired, lethargic to the point of not even getting dressed. Pressure in my head and severe cramps. Im a high energy upbeat person and this droopy soul doesn't suit me. I'll stick to the Cipro, change up my probiotic and avoid flagyl in the future"

Ckitchen May 22, 2016

"This drug should be banned from human use. It permanently disabled me by attacking my corpus callosum (middle brain) - the first time. I had t to resign from my federal job because I could no longer walk, talk, or write. After treatment at an acute rehab, I got C-diff and was prescribed more flagyl. I began to fall on my face. After several brush burns and other related issues I was in and out of the ER. Four years later, I am left with slurred speech, vision and heart issues. To date no one has taken responsibility for this drug."

Corpus Callosum May 16, 2016

"I was put on Flagyl and Cipro for the next ten days. I have been on it for 2 days now and already feel a lot better - just tired. I felt as if I was run over by a truck before I started taking the medication. My pain felt more like contractions!! The pain has subsided quite a bit. Hopefully, by the end of ten days, I will be as good as new!! Good luck to everyone."

Lindroz (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

"I was put on this medication for diverticulitis. Along with Cipro. I have been taking it for 7 days. I feel like I have been hit by a truck! No energy, sick to my stomach, diarrhea along with a feeling of never being able to get comfortable. I have 7 more days 3 times a day to go! I don't think I can do it! I feel absolutely miserable. Just left a message with the Dr to see what they say about stopping it."

teenie83 May 7, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I have taken this for Diverticulitis and BV. It works. Had bleeding and severe almost septic Diverticulitis, was in hospital for 5 days and this cured it. Gets rid of BV too, just make sure to take Rephresh Pro-B pill immediately after finishing course of flagl and continue for a few months if you want to keep vagina healthy. Side affects of flagyl are diarrhea and slight nausea but bearable, just take it in the middle of meal. If you have horrible affects from it you are having allergic reaction, not side affects. I know bc my mom is allergic to flagyl. If taking for diverticulitus, take high grade probiotic for 2 months after finishing course of antibiotics to replenish good bacteria in gut."

Delta20000 April 7, 2016

"This medication makes me and my muscles hurt Like I've been hit by a truck. And that's after day two! I take three a day for intestinal infection (diverticulitis) besides the bad tastes, and maybe some stomach pains, this is my main concern. Makes almost all my Muscles in my Body ache badly. Especially my feet and arms."

Travis2L (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"I am 69 and have coronary artery disease, and diabetes.....I take 20 meds a day and now I have diverticulitis and have been given Cipro and flagyl.....this my 8th day and I have been in bed the whole time just getting up to drink clear liquids...thank God I'm retired because there is no way I could go to work.....the pain before I was diagnosed was the worst....all across my abdomen and down my thighs....I went to ER and they did a ct and said they couldn't find any reason for the pain and sent me home with pain meds and said to follow up with my Dr....I have two more days to take these meds... Hope this is the end....."

Hardrock (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2016

"I took it along with Cipro for diverticulitis. There was not a lot of effect for the first 2 days but after that the drugs started to work and I started feeling better. After a full 7 days I'm glad to be finished. I had taken cipro on its own before with minimal side effects. With the combo I found that there were quite a lot. I was quite listless and almost depressed and tired plus my joints are very sore. There is a nasty taste in my mouth and my tongue is sore and very grayish. I was very moody for a few days but this seems to have stopped. Since the diverticulitis makes me feel really awful, I was grateful for the antibiotics and they worked. Many people have reported diarrhea but I did not, pee certainly turned a dark orange."

Curious Chris (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2016

"After 7 days suffering lower left abdominal pain (1st time) I was diagnosed with diverticulitis. I am 63. I was prescribed Metronidazole 400 mg - 1 tablet 3 times daily - along with 500 mg Keflex (Cefalexin) - same daily dosage. I took both for 7 days as prescribed. Very relieved to be free of the pain. Suffered dizzy spells, extreme tiredness & felt very unwell. Stopped taking the meds 2 weeks ago. No pain but still have not returned to my usual self. Still very tired and not quite "real" and have the odd dizzy spell. Wonder if I will return to normal? I am also wheat & gluten intolerant - breakfast cereals are not something I can eat. Eating fibre in the form of fruit - particularly pears & apples helps me as does yoghurt & milk."

Siv (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2016

"I took this med along with cipro. First day... I broke out in hives. I knew it was this one cause it was put thru iv and hives came out as soon as it was connected. So, they kept giving me benedryl along with it. Then..on the 3rd night of being in hospital, I was having so much pain (I cried the whole night) in my lower back and legs, thought it was the hospiral bed..so a I went home anyway. Took oral and back pain was unbearable! I stopped taking it and back pain was completely gone. Will never take that again!!!"

Gigi2009 March 9, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I was prescribed this medicine for my diverticulitis and every time I took this pill I was experiencing bad cramping, so I went to the emergency room and the doctor there told me to stop that medication because it causes constipation. So I'm just taking the other medicine and thus far no cramping just a bit of a headache but that's better than getting abdominal pains"

angelofmyeyes February 25, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I went to the ER and was told I had Diverticulitis..I stayed in the hospital for 3 days...I started taking Cipro and Flagyl. Only side effect is diarrhea, hard to manage when you work fulltime...Medication does work...On meds for 1 week."

feeling well (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

"This is my third day of Ciprofloxacin 500mg twice per day and Metronidazole 500mg twice per day for recently diagnosed diverticulitis. I am experiencing disturbances in sleep, despite being really tired I am finding it difficult to fall asleep. I also feel light headed. I am drinking lots of water. I have been following a gluten free diet prior to diagnosis and this appears to have eased my worst symptoms."

GillyT January 10, 2016

"I was given 60 tabs of metronidazole...2 X 3 A DAY for 10 days. also given another drug with it take 1x 2 a day. By the 6 day I was so sick I wished I could die. Stomach cramps, bloating gas. Quit taking these meds on the 9th day.Stomach cleared up. but now I riddled with so much joint pain I can hardly move."

Barb. (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2015

"As an update to my previous glowing comment, I'm hopefully getting better and the pain is not so bad but this medicine is making me so groggy and so sick to my stomach. Its Saturday and I spent the entire day sleeping. It's very hard to sustain concentration at work not only from a little bit of pain but from how this medicine makes you feel. It is a rough affliction so I feel your frustration."

123Missy December 12, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I have to say that metronidazole is a horrible antibiotic as far as side effects go especially when one has to go to work. I experienced a lot of dizziness, migraines, muscle pain even in my heart, jittery and drowziness. I'm sure flagyl is the same. Next time I'm asking not to get this prescribed my doctor. Better yet take it off the shelf."

Kaiser patient (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2015

"All I know is that 2 days into this course of treatment with flagyl and cipro, my horrible left lower quadrant pain is gone. I do feel a little down and lethargic but who cares? I'm able to get some things done and get through a day at work. I do have a little headache and another medicine Amitiza seems to give me congestion in my head but it helped relax the colon spasms. I am so grateful though because I was in horrible pain for so long and didn't know why."

123Missy December 5, 2015

"I am having my 5th bout of Diverticulitis in one year. Not having any luck .... I was told I can eat nuts, seeds...if i chew well from both of the Gastro docs I have seen but I think we are all unique and perhaps, I better give them up. Seems my case is prone now. I am allergic to Cipro so must use Bactrim with the Flagyl. yes, it is nasty! I get sores in roof of mouth, with both actually, but I am allergic to most other antibiotics. I am on now one week- they have given me dose for one month but honestly, will have to cut off soon as my stomach is in rough shape. I was in the hospital and they gave me them both in IV and for me- this worked little bit better. I really would love to learn more about a healthy diet that will help."

she wolf November 16, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Day 3 on Flagyl and Cipro. I thought I was having a heart attack. This stuff has horrid side effects. Discomfort in my chest and arm. Foggy headed feeling, dizziness, unbalanced, headache, very nauseous, metal taste, very blurry eyesight. No energy, at 55 it is not a good thing to feel this way, especially when you are overweight and out of shape. This is only day 3 I don't think I can take this stuff for 7 more days. They say the IV kind is worse though. Supposedly it's helping (I do feel less pain in my abdomen I think). IF I make it through this stuff I bet I will watch what I eat and make better choices in the future. I called the pharmacy and the doc and both said to stay on it, cipro 2X daily and flagyl 4X daily. Scary stuff."

Anonymous November 13, 2015

"39 year old mom of 4. On my 2nd bout of diverticulitis (1st one 7 years earlier) I was given 10 days of Flagyl & Cipro. I took them together twice a day, & then the 3rd Flagyl by itself at night. I noticed a minimal yucky taste when taking them, but by the time I had finished my water, it was usually gone. I had a metallic taste approximately 3 times total, that lasted just minutes. By the last part of day 2 I was feeling better, day 3 there was no more pain. By the 4th day there was some discoloration of urine - rusty colored to orange. I never ever felt anxious, nauseous, had diarrhea, or felt tired. Overall, great experience with the combo of meds!"

Lyndilous November 1, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I cringe when I think about having to take cipro and flagyl. I'm nauseous, dizzy, light headed, ache, and foggy headed. Can't function and sleep all the time. I miss a weeks worth of work because I feel so bad."

Claudine27 October 27, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "Seems effective. Second use with diverticulitis. Both times combined with Cipro. Had some side effects but not sure which medication they came from. Plus the diverticulitis itself causes gas, bloating, diarrhea, headache, nausea so how do you know what was meds and what was the illness? I experienced urine discoloration-slight rusty tone. I can say that the taste of the Flagyl pill is horrible. Also, after starting the meds I became over sensitive to smells and everything I ate or drank, even water, tasted disgusting. (Not so bad as I'm not supposed to be eating foods). I found that if I swallow the Flagyl with a sip of a smoothie (from supermarket) it slips down easy with no sticking and no bad taste."

metalmaiden (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I'm a 36 yo active female diagnosed with Diverticulitis. I took the combo of meds and am on day 7 now. I work out 6 days a week and have had to modify my workouts and weight lifting because I feel absolutely drained, weak and muscles ache. (This of course was advised against by both doctor and pharmacist but alas I am a knucklehead) I have the metallic taste as well in addition to nausea with the meds. However I would prefer these side effects to the pain associated with Diverticulitis."

Amelia_W September 23, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole): "I have been on Flagyl a few times and it works very well. But, why can't they put it in a gelcap. It is so hard for me to take because of the taste. I take it with cranberry juice, which helps. But, really, it is nasty tasting."

Anonymous September 6, 2015

"I'm really glad I read the hints about taking the Cipro 2 hours after the Flagyl. I hope it helps! Also got some Zofran. I came down with diverticulitis for the first time ever, and was perscribed the above drug combo. I'm on day two and the debilitating pain is gone. But now I have the dreaded nausea and diahhrea, and just plain feeling like I have stomach flu! But I'm going to try the suggestions offered by others, and keep my fingers crossed they work...otherwise, I'm not sure how to go back to work, without toting along a porta potty :)"

Laura24373 (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2015