User Reviews for Suprep

Bowel Preparation 84 reviews 112 medications

Summary of Suprep reviews 84 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Suprep

Review by Rob 23322 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: Started this morning at 10am. Mixed COLD Suprep with COLD apple juice. Found a FAT straw, even bigger than a malt/shake straw and sucked it down. Took about 45 minutes to start working for me. Probably because I use Amitiza almost daily and especially the night before. The taste isn't awful, but it's not good. I think the apple juice helped. To me it seemed very sweet. It's now 9:30pm, no intake after midnight and my colonoscopy isn't until 11am tomorrow. Seriously, get a big straw, mix it with juice. Drink it COLD and quick. Chase it with your beverage of choice/whatever is allowed. Good Luck!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2014 9:27 PM

Review by MikeC4:

For Bowel Preparation: My 4th C-Scope. First time with Suprep. Suprep was the best prep. Okay it doesn't taste good, but it is less offensive than the other preps. Tastes like watered down cough medicine. I mixed with it very cold water and sipped it through a straw. The worst part was drinking another 32 oz of water over the next hour and feeling like my stomach was going to explode. After one hour things started moving, and I felt better. I was still squirting six hours later, so don't fudge on the time line. Also, apply Preparation H after each movement, and you won't get the redness.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2014 9:36 AM

Review by kdub77 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: Certainly did the job, but boy howdy was it hard to get down and keep down. Take the first dose and then spend the next two hours in the bathroom - not just near it!! Second dose also kept me "going" practically up to the time of the procedure. Sip water (or something, anything!) in between gulps of the medicine - it'll go down easier. Rated 4 because it was effective, but pretty nasty.

July 11, 2014 5:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: My doctor gave me a sample box as my insurance would not cover. After reading reviews this is what I did. Chilled water and Suprep, put Oragel on my tongue and mouth to deaden taste buds. Used a straw as far back as possible held my nose. Each time I stopped I drank orange Gatorade and put a little honey on my tongue. Only tasted a little strong cough syrup. It took effect about 30 minutes later and subsided in a couple of hours. I did this at 6 PM and 3 am procedure at 8:30 am. I wish I had some diaper rash ointment as the Vaseline did not quite do the trick with the burning. Did not have any severe reactions.

July 8, 2014 6:28 AM

Review by Thebrad (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: Having done colonoscopies a few times, I have to say that Suprep, although not my favorite, is the most effective so far. The taste... Weird. But.... Helpful hint for those of you taking it- since you're most likely on a clear liquid diet, I just tried this last night and this morning and it helps a great deal for me- take a Jolly Rancher you like and chew it before drinking the prep. The goal is to get the candy stuck in the crevices of your molars, top and bottom. Now, while drinking the prep, if you need a break, stop and lick your teeth. The prep taste is immediately overridden by the candy! This made the prep taking a LOT better for me! Hope it helps you!

June 23, 2014 5:14 AM

Review by Aunt Mary:

For Bowel Preparation: This was my second colonoscopy with Suprep. Here are my tips to getting through: use a straw placed at the back of the throat and a swimmer's nose clip to minimize the awful taste. I also ate a low residue diet for a couple of days before (e.g., chicken, pasta, eggs) so as to not have a lot to clean out. The stuff worked in about 20 minutes and I was passing clear liquid well before the second dose, which did not go down as well. I started throwing it back up after only drinking about a third of the mix. I drank about 20 ounces of the "follow up" water and spent the next couple of hours on the throne passing more clear liquid. Had some chills and nausea with Suprep but thankfully no headache. Thanks to all who shared their comments!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by hpj:

For Bowel Preparation: I wish I'd read these reviews before taking this foul-tasting stuff. I would have chilled it first, then used a straw to drink it. By far, the worst part of the prep is taking the Suprep. The taste is horrible. My nurse told me to mix the doses with white grape juice. I did for the first one, thinking the grape juice would drown the taste, but that made it taste worse. I used water for the second dose and ended up throwing up about a third of it. From the reviews, it looks like that won't be a problem. I see some people didn't do a complete fast the day before, so I'm going to look into why a fast is recommended in case I have to have this test again. All in all, though, the med does what it says it'll do — clean out your colon.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 18, 2014 5:17 AM

Review by Roger I.:

For Bowel Preparation: First time colonoscopy and first time using Suprep. I did the first round at 3 pm, Taste was tolerable as it tasted like bittery cherries. Mixed it with ice water and chugged it down in 5 minutes, the next 16 oz water in to minutes and then the last 16 oz water 30 after that. Started working 20-30 minutes. I suggest staging in the bathroom or very near it for the first hour. I drank clear liquids and jello after the first dose. The second dose was at 8 pm and took about 2, 2 1/2 hours to subside. I did not drink anything after that dose as I felt it was still working. Got a few hours sleep. My procedure was 7am. I only had minor chills from the amount of cold water to drink. All in all not the a bad horrible experience.

June 16, 2014 8:50 AM

Review by brownidgirl_90:

For Bowel Preparation: I took the Suprep at 6:00 p.m. The taste was unpleasant but avoidable. I found that pinching my nose, closing my eyes, and chasing the drink with gatorade cut the aftertaste completely. I was a bit nauseated for the first 15 minutes and had my first bowel movement in the first 20. I did not eat for 48 hours before taking this and drank plenty of water in preparation. I took my second dose again at 9. This time, I was on the toilet more frequently. It took me two drinks to get it down. Overall, I dreaded this experience and it was no where near as awful as I had foreseen! My first colonoscopy is tomorrow and I've heard that the prep is the worst part. It's 1:15 a.m.. and I'm still having bowel movements but they're clear!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2014 2:17 AM

Review by Not so Bad:

For Bowel Preparation: 39 year old male, 1st colonoscopy. I had already read several of the reviews of the product but did not fully know what to expect. Started 1st dose at 6pm night before procedure and meds began working around the 1 hour mark. No cramping, pain or discomfort whatsoever. Took the second dose at midnight with similar results. Finished getting ready of all the liquids an hour before the procedure and everything went smooth. Aside from the obvious bad taste, the doses worked fine. No side effects other than lost sleep prepping for an early morning procedure.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2014 11:03 AM

Review by JayJones:

For Bowel Preparation: By far the best prep yet. No headache this time but I've learned some tricks since. First, it needs to be cold! Drink through a straw at the back of your mouth and chase with water. Took awhile but cleaned me out good. Also, sucking on a lemon after every few drinks. I have a strong gag reflex so had to stand over a sink and focus. I don't drink Gatorade because of food coloring, etc. but Smartwater has minerals in it and drinking a large bottle of that helped keep the headache away. You'd think with all the water you're drinking you wouldn't get dehydrated, but you need the electrolytes that the prep depletes.

June 3, 2014 10:05 PM

Review by Pam C. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: I was happy to find these reviews. I read through them and got some idea of what to expect. This is my 3rd colonoscopy but the first time with this prep. It is by far much easier than the others! I cannot chug so I have to drink it in small amounts. I chilled the prep, used a straw, and I bit into an orange wedge after every sip. I don't even know what the prep tastes like because of biting into the orange after every drink. Went down fast!

June 2, 2014 10:38 AM

Review by Joyce lb:

For Bowel Preparation: Easy to use and very effective. Follow the low residue advice for several days prior to the procedure. This really helped. Procedure was just as easy as the prep!

May 30, 2014 8:16 PM

Review by Ghornet54 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: I took the medicine at 6:00pm and nothing happened for 3 hours and then it hit and I kept running to the bathroom. The first dose wasn't bad to get down, didn't really taste it. I was told to suck on a Hall's cough drop first and it would kill the taste. It did, but I had to take another dose at 4:00am and even though I used the cough drop, the medicine was terrible. In both times I drank the 2 16oz of water. The 4:00am dose worked faster it only took about 30 minutes. The good news was my Dr said I was totally clean and don't have to do this for another 10 years! I didn't have to "fast" just had a light breakfast, lunch and dinner the day before, and nothing the day of the test.

May 28, 2014 8:46 PM

Review by Wilbur21:

For Bowel Preparation: Tasted like grape koolaid with a bleach chemical undertone. It wasn't pleasant to drink but whatever, just got it down 2 extra 16oz cups of water. Once it all took effect an hour later, I had to keep going to the toilet every few minutes, which went on for a couple of hours, and after a while it was just liquid. The worst part was having to get up at 4AM to do the whole ordeal again. And I was still runny by 1pm nearly 9 hours later. So the second dose really needs to be way before the appt. And the fasting is tough. Doctor said I was totally clean though. Colonoscopy showed a perfectly healthy smooth colon. Luckily I don't likely need to do this again for another 5-10.

May 22, 2014 12:48 AM

Review by DeeDub (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: It works even if you can't keep it down. My colonoscopy/endoscopy was May 16 2014. Eat light meals like rice and chicken two days prior. The day before, follow directions - I drank Coca Cola (for caffeine and sugar), Orange Gatorade and chicken broth. Drink the mix as directed through a straw and hold your nose. It tasted sweet and salty and I could not chug it down - took 15 minutes to finish the prep mixture. Then 32 ounces of water. I had nausea, chills and stomach cramps, but they went away in an hour. The second phase did not go so well - I threw up the mixture. But it still worked.

May 17, 2014 4:40 PM

Review by Beth F. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: Its hard to rate a medicine as a "good thing" when you take it to get diarrhea, but overall this is far less nasty experience than I was expecting. Yes,the taste is bad and yes its hard to consume so much fluid in a short period of time, but it wasn't half as bad as I expected. Within 20 minutes I started having effects and was done within 3 hours. Only a little nausea (in waves) and no cramping or other abdominal pain. Took my 1st dose at 6 am, went to bed comfortably at 11, got up at 3:30 for my second dose, its almost 5 am and I am on the downside of the laxative effects and its pretty much clear liquid coming out. My procedure is at 8 am. I dreaded the prep so much, I get nauseated easily, and turns out the fasting was the worst part.

April 29, 2014 7:55 AM

Review by ash21love (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: I was scared to take this after reading all the negative reviews but it wasn't half as bad as I had anticipated. It tastes like grape cough syrup. I sucked it through a straw to get past my taste buds. It started taking affect about 20 mins after ingestion. I used the restroom for the next 3 hours. Then went to sleep. No nausea, cramps. Just the urge to go. I did have a little leakage so I suggest sitting on a towel if you decide to lay in bed. I also didnt drink the whole bottle in 1 sitting. I broke it down into 2 parts for each bottle. I started at 4pm, took another dose at 6 pm, and repeated same process at 4 am with an 1130 am appt. Time. I did this to reduce any chances of nausea (I was thinking maybe the mass amount taken at once could be the cause for others having nausea) Im a 150 pound 29 year old female. I would recommend this product.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2014 9:23 AM

Review by RedTaGo (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: Taste is deceiving. Initial swallow was OK then it was downhill from there. Had to hold my nose; will try straw with 2nd dose. Couldn't wait to flush it with the 32ozs of water. Took about 60 minutes to kick in

April 17, 2014 9:08 PM

Review by spanishmen (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: 4-17. I was so skeptical to take the medication Suprep (based on the possible side effects). I took my first bottle at 4:30 (did not drink the entire 16 oz at once) I drink big sips until I finished then waited 30 minutes then I drank another 16 oz of water and waited another 30 minutes then finished. Took effect within an hour and half I started. I just got a small bother some headache but is going away from now. My is very clear I haven't really have gone to the bathroom that much, since I stop eating yesterday. If I managed to handle without food another day then I don't need to drink the second bottle since I am clear now. So the bottom line works ok for me.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2014 8:43 PM

Review by workerb (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: When I took the first glass at 8am and was following with water, threw it up at 8:35am and at 8:40am first movement, 2hrs later and 5 movements still going. Have to take 2nd dose at 8pm tonight, hope things are clear. Called my drs office about the throwing up and they told me tonight if I am not clean to take an enema.

April 17, 2014 10:54 AM

Review by chukerie (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: Effective, HOWEVER it is gross! I threw up about a 1/4th cup of it each time. I still was ok for my procedure but maybe because I am a small person. The drink was terrible getting down. Then about 15-20 min later the river started flowing and I just sat for 2 hours till it was done enough for me to rest. I had chills, minor cramping, and severe spats of nausea but it went within the first hour after drinking the drink and water.

April 16, 2014 12:43 PM

Review by Natewac:

For Bowel Preparation: I personally had no issues with SuPrep. It did everything it was intended to do. Taste wasn't too bad. Like watered down cough syrup. My colonoscopy was at 6:30am Monday morning. I ate a big dinner Saturday around 5pm. On Sunday I ate nothing but a Jello breakfast. I did drink 2 glasses (18 oz) of chicken broth around noon. I also drank 2 16 oz bottles of water between 3:00 pm and 4:00pm. At 5:00pm I drank the first bottle of SuPrep. It started working about 10 minutes later. Just a couple minutes of leaving the bathroom I had to return. This happened a couple times. So I decided I had better just camp out in the bathroom. I highly recommend that one certainly doesn't wonder too far away from the bathroom after the SuPrep takes effect.

April 16, 2014 12:29 PM

Review by Deb92:

For Bowel Preparation: I was so worried about the taste and getting it down after reading the reviews. My doctor said I could add lemonade powder to the solution. I also prepared it about 2 hours ahead and chilled it. It did not taste bad at all! I drank all of it within 20 minutes. It began working in about 15 minutes for me and was done after about an hour and a half. My procedure isn't until 1:30 tomorrow afternoon. I will take my other half at 8:00 am. I am worried about being hungry but not about getting the Suprep down. Not a bad experience whatsoever.

April 3, 2014 9:29 PM

Review by assblast (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: I took my first dose of Suprep at 6pm as per doctor's orders. Earlier in the day I gave myself a huge enema which really cleaned me out. I followed the experience of others on this website and drank the Suprep cold out of a straw into the back of my mouth while holding my nose. This worked real well and was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I did not vomit and was not nauseous. I did get some minor chills right after drinking all the cool water but they went away shortly, especially after I drank some warm broth. I was not on the toilet nearly as long as I thought I would be. I really think the enema made things easier. Hope my morning dose goes as well. I have to take it at 5am. I really want a burger and fries.

April 1, 2014 10:42 PM

Page 1 2 3 4 Next

More about Suprep (magnesium sulfate / potassium sulfate / sodium sulfate)

Other formulations