User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Panic Disorder

"To any one who reads this.I was driving my car and all of a sudden..BAM!!! Out of no where my heart was beating very rapidly and hard, I could feel my body shaking with the heart beats, then an extreme pressure on my chest, then my throat got a weird feeling..like a burning pressure and then MY TEETH HURT!! I was flipping out!! Then I got light headed and thought I was having a heart attack. It was 19 degrees out but I put the window down to get air which didn't help. It wouldn't stop. Then the light head feeling made me think OMG IM GONNA PASS OUT AND I DONT WANT TO HAVE A ACCIDENT AND KILL SOMEONE!! I was on the Pennsylvania Turpike so I pulled over and put my 4 ways on. A cop came and he red lighted it 120mph.to hospital...ATIVAN SAVED ME!"

Becki1959 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2016

"I started taking this medication at 0.5 mg. and thought I was okay, had to get dose upped to 1.0 mg. to sleep, but what has been happening, I cry all the time, am angry and sad. I cry most of the day, everyday! I am having what a doctor called PTSD from seeing my mom pass 2 years ago and am dealing with anger issues there still, but now all I do is cry!!!!!!! Does anyone else feel this? I feel so alone!!!! Rose"

Rose1964 January 31, 2016

"I suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with a Panic Disorder. I literally cannot leave the house without this medication because certain things can set me off. I take a rather high dose and have tried to wean down and I got down to 3- 2mg tabs daily from 4 but can't go out at night without a PRN dose in my purse. It literally is a life saver if you have debilitating anxiety or PTSD. I am calm and in control on it and no outbursts. It also helps with my lung cancer when I get shortness of breath. I can start to panic which makes it worse. I know this is a very easy drug to abuse but I take it only as prescribed because it is so important to my functioning and having a good quality of life."

Larrk (taken for 10 years or more) January 27, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I use Ativan when I experience a panic attack at the time of going to bed or when I wake up with one. I only use a quarter of a 2.5 mg. and it seems to calm me down enough to sleep. I only use it occasionally namely once in about a two week period when something happens in my life which stresses me out and causes the panic attack. It also calms me down and brings down my BP since I have a over reactive BP spike whenever I have a panic attack. It's a God sent for me :) Because of the small dosage, I never have an unwanted side effect...feel refreshed in the morning."

Adczyk December 17, 2015

"Ativan has been a life savor to me. I suffer from debilitating anxiety and rumination. I can take .5 to 1 and it takes it away w/in 15 minutes. I've gone to DBT & CBT classes out patient 2x. Therapy.This medicine is what has helped the most. My quality of life is much better w/ it. The negative is that the Dr's don't want you to take it unless you absolutely have to. They say it's addictive. I've not experienced that yet. Oh! I also took Klonopin which didn't touch the anxiety for me ."

Goldie77 November 2, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "I am prone to terrible and traumatizing panic attacks. I was afraid one was going to happen on an airplane, so I dreaded an upcoming flight for months. On the day of the flight, I took a 0.5 pill and felt all of my anxiety wash away. Took another pill at the gate before boarding and had the most calm flight of my life with essentially no notable anxiety. This medication has allowed me to no longer be a prisoner of my panic. It's really changed my life."

PanicyFlyer (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2015

"Recently I started experiencing panic attacks for no apparent reason. I stopped taking caffeine, still had the panic attacks. I don't drink alcohol so no need to stop that. Stopped smoking, still panic attacks. Stopped pretty much everything I could think of that triggered these attacks. Still had that horrible death feeling that all of us who suffer with Panic Disorder experience. Even hearing the words Panic Disorder from my doc... it was a sobering experience. My GP prescribed me .5mg Ativan taken as needed and they are life savers. Within 10-15 minutes I begin feeling normal. I can function again. I can WORK again. I don't know how I'd survive without these little helpers"

Panic is Hell October 6, 2015

Lorazepam Intensol (lorazepam): "Panic/anxiety attacks since 1985, it blocks 99 percent of panic attacks does slow you down a little"

rockyddogg (taken for 10 years or more) September 18, 2015

"The drug works amazingly except one HUGE problem. You will get addicted. I am not a druggie and took all my medications as precribed. I went off my medications 19 months ago and still feel like living hell. Panic atracks are hell but at least they end. Imagine living that way none stop for 19 months with no end in sight. The only thing that has helped me is drug free treatments which are becoming more and more mainstream. Please please please do not take any form of benzos. I think they are bad and will destroy your life taking away your health, your sanity and your close relationships."

Bryantd September 12, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "I started to take antivan for severe panic attacks. It did calm me down but left me extremely tired in the daytime. I was so tired that I was not able to function well at work. It was helpful at night though. Also, I was told that I could not take this medication for long term use. Eventually, I switched to Celexa and got relief that allowed me to not feel as tired."

MisoCat July 27, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "I'm as stubborn as it gets when it comes to taking medicine. I've been on just about everything for anxiety/ panic attacks. I began having panic attacks 5 months ago and have been living in complete fear. I couldn't even buy groceries without feeling like I was being pulled to the floor. I have every physical symptom of panic. Racing heart, chest pain, dizziness, I've even hyperventilated so bad that I've passed out. This medicine works. My doctor gave me 1mg tablets that are scored. I take half a mg and the panic is instantly gone for the entire day. It's a life saver. I really dread when I have to come off this medicine because it makes me feel human again, which is why I give it a 9/10."

Kat92 June 15, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "Honestly, I have been taking ativan for 2 years now 1mg twice daily. It does help but it should be used as a tool for panic attacks NOT A SOLUTION. I have tried so many anti-depressants as well such as cymbalta, cipralex and a couple more. The best thing is to talk to close friends and family or even a psychiatrist. talking to people and venting is honestly the best thing you can do for yourself even though it takes a lot of will power to do it. I would love to hear other people opinion."

shaner June 1, 2015

"In 2011 I began having panic attacks in crowded places. Just going to the mall was hell. The physical sensations were unbearable. After a while the only safe place was home. It got to the point where I was a social hermit. I read reviews about Lorazepam supossedly helping people with anxiety and I thought it was the worth the shot because life at that point was totally unbearable. It absolutely helped with the panic attacks and the physical symptoms, sweating, racing heart etc. I still feel anxiety but it's nowhere comparable to what it once was. I also used the Linden Method. I would guess that both the Linden Method and Lorazepam cut down my symptoms by about 95%."

Laura887 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "Ativan works. I just started getting panic attacks in my 40s no real reason for it except maybe aspartame caffeine sometimes emotional but in all I'm not sure why have gotten panic attacks. But Ativan works sometimes I need three pills of .5 mg or sometimes I just need one but I only take them as needed not sure if my doctor is going to continue to give them to me but I definitely need a back up of some kind and it does make you feel better so think goodness for that."

Stella13 January 19, 2015

"Someone who has never experienced a full scale panic attack has no idea how incredibly bad it is. I don't know what it's going to feel like to die, but I'm betting it won't be a lot different from a panic attack. It feels like every part of my body is shutting down, and there is nothing I can do to stop it. I would do ANYTHING to keep it from happening again. The only medicine my family doctor will prescribe is lorazepam because its slower onset makes it less attractive for abuse than what you get from Valium or Xanax. I only take it when I feel an attack is about to happen. In my experience the onset of relief is about an hour from a 1 mg dosing. The relief is incredible, and I seldom need a 2nd dose. No euphoria, just feel normal."

Johnnyh (taken for 10 years or more) January 8, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "Ostensibly prescribed for Menieres and vertigo, it had a huge impact on my panic episodes and anxiety, only slightly less effective than Xanax, but slightly longer lasting. Also was a smooth, warm feeling taking it. The downside after a months use, after a week of nothing, the nausea and vomiting kicked in heavy, so I shy away from this one... That time delay of withdrawal was awkward in public places. Still, if I were to ask for an adjuvant, I'd pick Ativan over the more powerful Xanax."

JayneC (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2014

"This is an amazing medicine in my opinion, THE BEST FOR ANXIETY AND PANIC DISORDERS! It is the only anxiety medicine I have ever tried and allows me to be able to get over that attack feeling quickly, and then continue the rest of the day normal again without getting so tired I have to sleep. With Ativan I am able to stay awake and functional, for the rest of the day! Work, ball game, whatever I'm doing that day I can take just 1mg and be fine the rest of the day without being to tired or sluggish the day after. I know that everyone is different but I speak on behalf of my own experience. But if you haven't found something to help you personal disorder I would definitely recommend talking to your doctor about Ativan."

Omega529 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 2, 2014

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have panic disorder and generalized anxiety. I take 1 to 2 mg sublingually when fighting anxiety or at the onset of a panic attack. I took one at the onset of an attack this morning, and within 5 minutes I could breathe again, my hands returned to normal temperature, and I was able to focus on getting the kids ready for school. I'm glad that 1mg is strong enough to prevent an attack, and that it doesn't dope me up - just calms me down and eases the physical issues."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"One day, while I was waiting for the train to take me home from gym, I started to feel my upper torso muscles progressively stiff. A few seconds after the train closed its doors, it became much more intense and I started to panic. My heart started to beat very fast for short periods of time and I could not breath properly. Also, my arms and face felt funny, I really thought I was going to have a heart attack and die in there. Thankfully, I made it home and I went to the city hospital in the afternoon. I had my heart checked with very positive results, and my doctor prescribed me these 1 mg pills. They've helped me abort a few panic attacks in the last weeks even taking half a pill, with no noticeable side effects"

Joe Panicky Bloggs (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2014

"I had my first panic attack last week. I honestly thought I was having a heart attack and dying. My heart was fine, and I was told it was panic attack. I had never had this before. At the ER, the doctor gave me Lorazepam. It seems to keep me calm. I read that once you have these attacks, you are more prone to them. I sure hope they don't happen often! Scary situation it was."

boomer68 June 4, 2014

Lorazepam Intensol (lorazepam): "Finally found mixed with Buspar to be effective at 4 mg a day for severe anxiety and panic attacks. "

Kristinsanxious (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2014

Ativan (lorazepam): "My mother passed away and I was having a hard time dealing with it especially at night. This medicine really helps me stay calm and actually sleep again."

Shelly B (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 21, 2013

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "This medicine is powerful. It does stop panic attacks, however it can leave you drowsy and with difficulty concentrating. It's still a tremendous help with my symptoms, but as I was a programming student in college, my ability to concentrate was still compromised. If you need quick relief from panic attacks this likely is your medication, but depending on what you do, you may want to look at SSRI's instead(though they take longer to take effect)."

Garron (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 7, 2013

Ativan (lorazepam): "After my losing my first child, I soon started having these feelings like I was having a heart attack, chest pains, hand cramps, and could not breath. After several trips to hospital, I was told it was a panic disorder. That was thirty two years ago. I was given Ativan to hold under my tongue, and I still use it until this day 3x 2mg daily as needed. I now have two grown sons, and two grandchildren but I do not think I could have made it without Ativan and great support group. I have no side effects just a calm, peaceful feeling."

doornail May 6, 2013

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After not sleeping for three days went cold turkey from Ambien. Dont do this...and after watching the movie Munich, I had a full on Panic Attack. At first I thought I was having a stroke then a heart attack. I felt my life force living my body then I got really scared of dying. I had a distinct taste of metal in my mouth and slight pain in my upper torso with trouble catching my breath. Then I really thought I was having a heart attack. I called 911..they showed up an hour later. My blood and EKG tested fine. No drugs or booze. I used to think panic attacks were all in the head and a joke...I learned my lesson. I take 0.5x2 a day. It helps."

20122013 April 6, 2013