User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam review summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Panic Disorder

Review by Omega529 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This is an amazing medicine in my opinion, THE BEST FOR ANXIETY AND PANIC DISORDERS! It is the only anxiety medicine I have ever tried and allows me to be able to get over that attack feeling quickly, and then continue the rest of the day normal again without getting so tired I have to sleep. With Ativan I am able to stay awake and functional, for the rest of the day! Work, ball game, whatever I'm doing that day I can take just 1mg and be fine the rest of the day without being to tired or sluggish the day after. I know that everyone is different but I speak on behalf of my own experience. But if you haven't found something to help you personal disorder I would definitely recommend talking to your doctor about Ativan.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2014 7:31 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Ativan (lorazepam): I have panic disorder and generalized anxiety. I take 1 to 2 mg sublingually when fighting anxiety or at the onset of a panic attack. I took one at the onset of an attack this morning, and within 5 minutes I could breathe again, my hands returned to normal temperature, and I was able to focus on getting the kids ready for school. I'm glad that 1mg is strong enough to prevent an attack, and that it doesn't dope me up - just calms me down and eases the physical issues.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 13, 2014 11:54 AM

Review by Joe Panicky Bloggs (taken for less than 1 month):

One day, while I was waiting for the train to take me home from gym, I started to feel my upper torso muscles progressively stiff. A few seconds after the train closed its doors, it became much more intense and I started to panic. My heart started to beat very fast for short periods of time and I could not breath properly. Also, my arms and face felt funny, I really thought I was going to have a heart attack and die in there. Thankfully, I made it home and I went to the city hospital in the afternoon. I had my heart checked with very positive results, and my doctor prescribed me these 1 mg pills. They've helped me abort a few panic attacks in the last weeks even taking half a pill, with no noticeable side effects

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2014 7:45 AM

Review by boomer68:

I had my first panic attack last week. I honestly thought I was having a heart attack and dying. My heart was fine, and I was told it was panic attack. I had never had this before. At the ER, the doctor gave me Lorazepam. It seems to keep me calm. I read that once you have these attacks, you are more prone to them. I sure hope they don't happen often! Scary situation it was.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 1:42 AM

Review by Kristinsanxious (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lorazepam Intensol (lorazepam): Finally found mixed with Buspar to be effective at 4 mg a day for severe anxiety and panic attacks.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2014 7:44 PM

Review by Shelly B (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Ativan (lorazepam): My mother passed away and I was having a hard time dealing with it especially at night. This medicine really helps me stay calm and actually sleep again.

July 21, 2013 10:41 PM

Review by Garron (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Ativan (lorazepam): This medicine is powerful. It does stop panic attacks, however it can leave you drowsy and with difficulty concentrating. It's still a tremendous help with my symptoms, but as I was a programming student in college, my ability to concentrate was still compromised. If you need quick relief from panic attacks this likely is your medication, but depending on what you do, you may want to look at SSRI's instead(though they take longer to take effect).

May 7, 2013 8:46 AM

Review by doornail:

Ativan (lorazepam): After my losing my first child, I soon started having these feelings like I was having a heart attack, chest pains, hand cramps, and could not breath. After several trips to hospital, I was told it was a panic disorder. That was thirty two years ago. I was given Ativan to hold under my tongue, and I still use it until this day 3x 2mg daily as needed. I now have two grown sons, and two grandchildren but I do not think I could have made it without Ativan and great support group. I have no side effects just a calm, peaceful feeling.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2013 9:56 PM

Review by 20122013:

After not sleeping for three days went cold turkey from Ambien. Dont do this...and after watching the movie Munich, I had a full on Panic Attack. At first I thought I was having a stroke then a heart attack. I felt my life force living my body then I got really scared of dying. I had a distinct taste of metal in my mouth and slight pain in my upper torso with trouble catching my breath. Then I really thought I was having a heart attack. I called 911..they showed up an hour later. My blood and EKG tested fine. No drugs or booze. I used to think panic attacks were all in the head and a joke...I learned my lesson. I take 0.5x2 a day. It helps.

April 6, 2013 12:55 PM

Review by HOSDAC:

Be taking lorazepan for the last 15 years with no side effects. I take a 0.5mg, 2 times a day as needed. In all these years never took more than prescribed by the doctors.

April 1, 2013 7:28 PM

Review by KAB88:

Lorazepam Intensol (lorazepam): This works well and fast. The biggest problems are that the medicine doesn't last for a long amount of time, and if taken too much the effectiveness will decrease. However, for moderate to severe panic suffers I recommend this highly.

March 28, 2013 5:10 PM

Review by mareb:

Ativan (lorazepam): My experience with a serious panic attack was thought to be the onset of a heart attack. I was monitored, had lab work, even x-rays. No heart attack, my heart was found to be totally clean of blockages. So the doctors conferred that I was indeed having a full scale panic attack. I was given a single 1 mg pill of Ativan. within minutes i was calmer, breathing returned to slow and regular, i felt warmer, and secure, clear headed yet a little sleepy. the other med i take is one 75 mg Effexor XR nightly, and a single capsule of raw thyroid nightly i do take a vitamin and mineral supplement when i think to. the Ativan prescription was issued for short term and serious times of panic only. it was recommended i receive counsel, as well.

February 23, 2013 8:59 PM

Review by Shayshayshay:

Lorazepam Intensol (lorazepam): Works very fast

February 10, 2013 12:31 AM

Review by JenLynn1013 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Ativan (lorazepam): I take Ativan at night. It calms me down, relaxes me and helps me sleep better!

October 12, 2012 6:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

It's really great at keeping me calm. The one downfall is that the dosage has to be adjusted to keep it's effectiveness.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2012 11:18 AM

Review by bhamlaxy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ativan (lorazepam): Excellent experience with Ativan. Have used it for flight anxiety and flew with a smile on my face. Also used it for general panic disorder. Right when I feel a panic attack coming on I take 0.5mg- very small amount. It kills the panic attack in 15-20 minutes and I feel incredibly relaxed for hours. Only side effect was slight drowsiness but it was not bad at all- even useful if I was trying to go to bed. Highly recommend.

June 2, 2012 5:19 PM

Review by cloudokumo:

Ativan (lorazepam): I have had panic disorder for 19 years. It started with "status panicus" (continual panic), which was treated by a year of imipramine. When that was tapered off, I switched to concentrated EPA Omega-3 oil, which has controlled the panic for 18 years. But, it sometimes breaks through, especially when I am building up antibodies to an infection. That is when Tofranil (lorazepam) comes to my rescue. A 0.5 mg dose will quell the aura/breakthrough symptoms. A similar dose at bedtime will get me the crucial night of sound sleep that I need to get the disorder back into its cage. Sometimes one good night is all I need to get back on track - a life saver.

December 27, 2011 2:29 PM

Ativan (lorazepam): Potent medication. What makes this medicine so useful for panic/bad anxiety is that you can dissolve it under your tongue in case you need to get the anti-anxiety/panic effect quickly. It tastes "sugary". A tip my doctor told me about. Same for Klonopin. Very effective medicine.

June 6, 2011 8:02 PM

Review by Lushuz:

Ativan (lorazepam): I been having these episodes of panic since 19; after a breakup with my baby's father, I woke up 1 day couldn't breath and went to hospital. Thought I was dying or having a heart attack. They didn't know what was wrong with me after all kinds of test I've was going back and forth 5 x a day finally they figured I had Anxiety disorder/panic attacks! I have taken Bio-feedback, relaxation techniques, therapy and medications until I found out that Ativan 3 x 1mg/day or I will be a regular in the E.R. Xanax works but not as long or as Well.

December 14, 2010 12:43 AM

Review by oxyaaron:

Ativan (lorazepam): Not as effective as Xanax or Klonopin.

November 22, 2010 3:14 PM

Review by Celebrian:

Ativan (lorazepam): I took this medication because I was having panic attacks. I had no drowsiness, and no side effects. This medication didn't make me apathetic or sedated; it simply took the panic away so I could think and get my work done. It saved me. After the panic attacks stopped, I was still suffering from anxiety (a new condition for me), and the Ativan didn't help that, so my doctor switched me to Klonopin, which worked great for day-long anxiety, while I also tapered up on Zoloft. Still waiting to figure out if the Zoloft works.

June 26, 2010 12:44 AM