User Reviews for Leflunomide

Also known as: Arava

Learn more about Leflunomide.

Rheumatoid Arthritis 19 reviews 362 medications

Psoriatic Arthritis 1 reviews 73 medications

Summary of Leflunomide reviews 20 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Leflunomide

Review by Tina G. P.:

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I've been on Arava for over 10 years now. At first (following the loading dose) I was taking 20 mg daily. I went from not being able to dress myself to being completely independent and relatively pain free. I do have fibromyalgia, so there has been some muscle pain with that. I lost quite a bit of hair at first, but that stopped. After 7 or 8 years I asked my doctor if I could try to taper down. I went from 20 mg daily to 20 mg every other day. I have mild psoriasis which flared when I cut back, but eventually it cleared up again. After a year, my doctor decreased it to 10 mg every other day. The psoriasis flared again, but is now gone and I am maintaining at 10 mg every other day and doing well.

March 6, 2014 1:57 PM

Review by Saltio (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Not ONLY the pain from rheumatoid arthritis - Arava made my hair fall out, lump in esophagus, and chronic throat infection.

February 11, 2014 9:25 AM

Review by Aprill55:

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have been on Arava for approximetely 2 months, prior to that I had Rituxin Infusion Therapy and was currently on 20 mg of prednisone. I had started to reduce the prednisone when I was down to 5mg and off, I started to have a burning in my mouth and tongue. I checked with the pharmacy and it is a know side effect for leisons and issue within the mouth. I am hoping that there is something else that I can take, as this past year my rheumatoid arthritis has been full blown out of control. I at least can now type and manage to button my clothes and tie my shoes. I can only hope.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 15, 2014 9:00 AM

Review by SamCF (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Psoriatic Arthritis: I was prescribed leflunomide for Psoriatic Arthritis, 20mg each day, in May 2012. For the actual treatment of my arthritis, I can honestly say it was a "wonder drug" I noticed a huge improvement all most immediately & this drug agreed with me so much more than Methotrexate & Sulfasalazine, both of which I had also been taking. The biggest negative for me was the HUGE hair loss I suffered. I had experienced some hair loss on Methotrexate, but, this was on a different level, so much so that I stopped taking Leflunomide in November 2012. Being a female in her early 40's, this was a decision I felt I had to take as the hair loss was so distressing.

October 28, 2013 10:31 AM

Review by GrannyK. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have been on Arava for 6 weeks and I also take 5mg of Prednisone. The medication has been extremely helpful in treating the swelling and soreness of the joints. I am now able to write, type, stir, laugh and I feel generally so much improvement, it's like getting my life back after several months of severe pain, swelling and stiffness.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2013 3:45 PM

Review by krismas85:

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Was on Arava for a little over a year. The hair loss, pain from the hair loss, gastrointestinal problems, and the infections are just too much. My hair is so thin. I went to my doctor and had it stopped. I lost another 6lbs in 2 months and that is with the introduction of Ensure. I hope others have a better experience then what I did. I am 27 years old and everyday I felt life leaving me little by little.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2013 4:53 PM

Review by chocalate:

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I started taking Arava in Sep. 2012. Two months ago I noticed my hair was falling out in the shower, and now in December my hair is so thin you can see my scalp. I also have to blow my nose ay least twenty times a day. And now I am getting sores in my mouth. I am not sure if I want to stay on it.

December 31, 2012 7:57 PM

Review by wayney:

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have been on leflunomide since 2007. It took a bit to kick in and once it did, I felt better. I was having a lot of diarrhea so my doctor decreased my dose from 20mg/day to 10mg/day. It made no difference in the diarrhea so we decreased it and I tried Imuran. About 2 weeks after switching, I was still having issues with diarrhea and it was clear the Imuran was not helping. So we went back to leflunomide 20mg/day ASAP. In the beginning, I had some nausea, but I began taking my dose at bedtime and had no other problems. I now take it in the morning with no nausea. I have hair loss but not enough that others notice. I simply take folic acid to combat that.

February 1, 2012 4:32 AM

Review by cedickson:

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: It worked wonderfully for several years until I got a tooth infection. I had to go off Arava for the antibiotics to kill the infection. Sadly when I returned to Arava it no longer worked for me.

September 8, 2011 7:10 PM

Review by Hettiel:

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have been taking Arava for almost 2 years. I have recently developed very high blood pressure and I'm not sure if Arava is the cause of it. We have picked up that it increased my cholesterol.

July 22, 2011 3:26 PM

Review by janika17:

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Arava worked great for me for about 2 1/2 months. My pain and stiffness was much, much improved. Unfortunately I developed a severe rash and had to take the medication to remove it from my system as quickly as possible. Had it not been for the rash I would still be on it.

January 16, 2011 9:20 PM

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I took Arava for about 8 months. It gave me a new lease on life to the point I was having no symptoms, pain or stiffness. I had to stop the medication because of Valley Fever. I want to get the message out to anyone living in a high risk state for "Valley Fever" be very aware and see your provider if you have any symptoms. I only had a persistent cough. Had chest X-ray done and was found to have a very large lung nodule that ended up being "valley fever" abscess.

March 9, 2010 11:06 AM

Review by grannysp:

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have taken Arava for over 10 years and have had good results. I have RA and I have stopped taking it because of surgery and because of a chronic infection but always go back. I have many allergies and most of the other meds for RA have caused bad reactions.

January 29, 2010 5:53 PM

Review by Central Texas:

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I've been using Leflunomide since July 2007. It took 3 months for it to become effective, but I have been pain free since then! Wonderful! BUT, I have developed chronic urinary tract infections -- 12 in the last two years. My urologist is exasperated and has about exhausted his bag of tricks; daily Macrodantin (antibiotic) for over a year helped for a few months at a time, but I'm now resistant to that. I only take 10 mg leflunomide and really hate to think of doing without it, but my bladder is important too. I'm going to ask the rheumatologist this week about cutting the dosage in half.

January 14, 2010 9:42 AM

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have been on Arava for three years now. I have not had any adverse side effects. Every so often my thumb hurts and I have to use a pain cream but that is my only complaint.

January 13, 2010 1:30 PM

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I had high hopes for this medicine, but aside from not helping my inflammation or pain. I'm experiencing itching, red skin, blisters on my tongue and a lot of my hair falling out. Not sure I can stand the itching til my blood work up in November. Here's hoping the side effects will decrease.

October 4, 2009 12:03 PM

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I took Arava for about one year. It worked fabulously for the rheumatoid arthritis. I was even going to aerobics and kick boxing. However, my hair started to fall out and I ended up with no eyebrows. Needless to stay I stopped taking it and my rheumatoid arthritis has not been good ever since. My hair grew back but in some spots it did not. I still have some bald spots in my eyebrows. I was not very happy about that as I am only 35.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 3, 2009 7:51 PM

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I've been taking Arava for 12 months or so now. It worked in the early days but now, I have quite severe pain and am looking at starting to take Infliximab along side the Arava. With regards to side effects, none apart from the persistent, annoying tickly cough, which I've had now for about 7 months.

May 31, 2009 2:14 AM

Review by franciha:

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: I have been on Arava for 1 month. So far - hardly any side effects. It has improved the quality of my life in that I am not experiencing any pain. I will continue to monitor any side-effects over the next few months.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2009 10:31 AM

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: This medicine gave me very bad indigestion, acid reflux, and severe nausea. My doctor cut me down to one pill every other day and it did cut all of these effects basically out.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 2, 2009 10:52 PM